As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toons you can post that all you want and I honestly will not care any more about it at all.

99% of game companies don't even bother doing anything with a game post-release except bug fixes. And even then its few and far between. Valve has been the exception for the longest time. So far everything I've heard about the new release (another new game mode, new director, new survivors, more weapons, new infected, 5 campaigns with vs ready to go, and compatibility with old maps meaning I'm pretty sure you could probably find a way to get the original 4 in L4D 2) makes it sound like an awesome idea for a standalone. Not only that but there's still plenty of time for something else to be announced that makes it awesome. Personally I think the fact that they updated the director made it impossible to ship this as a DLC pack because it would have been a huge DL.

So what are you crying about? You didn't get DLC? What do you call the Survivor Pack? That's DLC. You didn't get enough? You didn't get what you were promised? Where on the box (if you bought at retail) does it say you're buying any of the stuff Gabe promised? Oh that's right it doesn't.

Goose! on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Toons you can post that all you want and I honestly will not care any more about it at all.

99% of game companies don't even bother doing anything with a game post-release except bug fixes. And even then its few and far between. Valve has been the exception for the longest time. So far everything I've heard about the new release (another new game mode, new director, new survivors, more weapons, new infected, 5 campaigns with vs ready to go, and compatibility with old maps meaning I'm pretty sure you could probably find a way to get the original 4 in L4D 2) makes it sound like an awesome idea for a standalone. Not only that but there's still plenty of time for something else to be announced that makes it awesome. Personally I think the fact that they updated the director made it impossible to ship this as a DLC pack because it would have been a huge DL.

So what are you crying about? You didn't get DLC? What do you call the Survivor Pack? That's DLC. You didn't get enough? You didn't get what you were promised? Where on the box (if you bought at retail) does it say you're buying any of the stuff Gabe promised? Oh that's right it doesn't.

But the high quality you tube video showed interviews where they promised to release tons and tons of free content, and all I got was some free content :(

Fizban140 on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought L4D about 2 weeks ago, and was satisfied for my purchase at $30. I'm not mad at Valve, just a little more wary about buying games from them full price, after they do something relatively wonky like this. Again, not the content issue, but the "splitting the community issue," is my worry.

Verr on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    splitting 10k players is pretty serious

pfft

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited June 2009
    Sarcasm? I can't tell. I think it is.

I certainly wouldn't want to.

EDIT: Worst top!

So what is everyone looking forward to in L4D2? New guns? New characters? New things to bitch about?

Verr on
    edited June 2009
    It's not.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's obviously already split us.

Brian on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    everybody who plays L4D regularly on these forums will buy L4D2

everybody who doesn't you probably weren't playing with anyway

as for pubs, there will always be at least 3 other people out there looking no matter how split it is

Zek on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    everybody who plays L4D regularly on these forums will buy L4D2

everybody who doesn't you probably weren't playing with anyway

as for pubs, there will always be at least 3 other people out there looking no matter how split it is

I play regularly but I am very hesitant about buying l4d2. Why? Because I'm not sure the value justifies the cost. Plain and simple.

Not to mention its hard enough to find 4 decent chaps to play these days. I can't imagine what it'll be like once the games split. I mean, this game already didn't have the life/popularity of counterstrike (maybe because it wasn't free to begin with, who knows) but now... this is going to be interesting.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally got this game thanks to Goozex, and although I'm playing Red Faction heavily right now, I am definitely looking forward to this.

Hopefully it's good on the 360 and not like The Orange Box...

Zenitram on
    edited June 2009
    From what I hear, its pretty good on 360. Just try to find 4 friends to play with (the randoms you might run into could be... iffy)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    I bought L4D about 2 weeks ago, and was satisfied for my purchase at $30. I'm not mad at Valve, just a little more wary about buying games from them full price, after they do something relatively wonky like this. Again, not the content issue, but the "splitting the community issue," is my worry.

I bought L4D the very day l4d2 was announced. I'm not about to go and ragequit, but that kind of stings a bit. :(

Dac Vin on
    edited June 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »

I bought L4D the very day l4d2 was announced. I'm not about to go and ragequit, but that kind of stings a bit. :(

Well, uh... How about them Phalla's eh?

Verr on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sarcasm? I can't tell. I think it is.

I certainly wouldn't want to.

EDIT: Worst top!

So what is everyone looking forward to in L4D2? New guns? New characters? New things to bitch about?

French Quarter with Zombies.

If they have some familiar landmarks it'll be nice to see how Z Day affects my hometown.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if we'll hear some standard "Media Backlash" about them using some Katrina damage as concept stuff or something along those lines.

Also, you have a very nice Daft Punk sig.

Verr on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's like, I go out and buy it as my own birthday present, I come back home and see a sequel.

So yeah.

Dac Vin on
    edited June 2009

It's like, I go out and buy it as my own birthday present, I come back home and see a sequel.

So yeah.

It was the same thing, I play it abit, do a few LAN's with my buds, don't look at this thread for about a week, come back, looking forward to get the PA experience, and find this mess.

D:

Anyways, send me a steam invite, maybe we can gather more noobs and do a few PA Pro vs Joe?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Verr

Verr on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So yeah.

Return it?

RubberAC on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love Left 4 Dead. People know this. They know it in the streets.

But even I might not get L4D2 on day one, because given the frequency and generosity of Steam sales, I can wait. I'll certainly get it; I'm not even slightly miffed by the idea of a sequel. But only if I'm playing L4D1 as actively as I am now come November will I get it day 1. If I am on a hiatus, perhaps due to a rage-uninstall, then I will wait. Because that means I spend less money which is always good.

Professor Phobos on
    edited June 2009
    sounds like he opened it already....

@phobos: I think i might use my 10dollar off cupon at bestbuy. Especially if they have it at already reduced prices.

That'll make me feel a little better :/

Also, you shouldn't rage unintall, you should play with me, take the medkit and then incap yourself immediately afterwards. Thats always a great time :lol:

Nappuccino on

edited June 2009

So yeah.

It was the same thing, I play it abit, do a few LAN's with my buds, don't look at this thread for about a week, come back, looking forward to get the PA experience, and find this mess.

D:

Anyways, send me a steam invite, maybe we can gather more noobs and do a few PA Pro vs Joe?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Verr

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dacvin here. My mic is broken so my playing online is rather small until I get it fixed.

Dac Vin on
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Also, you shouldn't rage unintall, you should play with me, take the medkit and then incap yourself immediately afterwards. Thats always a great time :lol:

That was awesome.

The full anecdote:

We're on Dead Air, in the part with the van. As we're heading in behind the van, tank music plays. We somehow manage to kill the tank while dealing with the crescendo.

I remarked on how awesome that was: "That's true skill right there." As I am saying that, I am failing to jump to a nearby platform, proceeding to fall to my own incapacitation moments after finding a spare medkit healing me back up to green. "Speaking of true skill..."

It was hilarious. I should have done it on purpose.

Professor Phobos on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Personally, what I find to be one the of the funniest things about this whole debacle is the fact that people are angry about L4D2 being released so soon. After years of being hounded for taking so long and putting out so many delays for everything, they anticipate releasing a sequel a year after the original and receive backlash for it.

This is Valve, guys. Even if you don't buy in to the "Valve Apologetic Bullshit" that anything they will make will be good (after all, look at their track record), I think we should keep in mind there's a good chance this whole game will get delayed way beyond the end of the year, and it is entirely possible they will keep updating L4D classic in the meantime.

Endaro on
    edited June 2009
    I really think the issue is as simple as people make it out to be. Valve said "Hey we're gonna keep supporting L4D1 with new content", they never really got around to that, and announcing the sequel is indicative of (though not proof of) a lack of intent to add new content.

Now, granted, Survival mode sort of counts as 'new' content, but I think everyone can agree that by that we primarily mean and took Valve to mean new full-length campaigns.

The whole thing can be resolved easily enough if when Valve says "there's a chance of new content for L4D1" what they mean is "We're working on it but we're not talking about it yet" and such content is eventually released for free. 1-2 more campaigns, maybe a new weapon or monster would mollify most everyone, I suspect.

Professor Phobos on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trying to beat campaigns on expert with bots is infuriating. They run towards the Tank like piglets trying to suck their mother's teat.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm a parrot who must repost the same tired shit every day. Someone give me a cracker to boost my waning self esteem over a promise about a video game.

If you're just going to be a sarcastic mindless mockingbird the entire thread you can fuck right off. And the community of L4D is 17-20k, as seen on Steam stats.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Trying to beat campaigns on expert with bots is infuriating. They run towards the Tank like piglets trying to suck their mother's teat.

The ability to give bots commands would be a welcome addition in L4D2.

Tertiee on
    edited June 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Left 4 Dead, set for release on PC and Xbox 360 on November 21 in Europe, is primarily a four-player cooperative game that sees a group of Survivors battle through four 'Movies' and against 28 Days Later-style zombies called The Infected.

Newell said that Valve's support of the game post-launch will be essential for growing the community.

He said: "One of the things that we're doing is we seem to be in a transition between games as a package product and games more of a service. So if you look at Team Fortress 2, one of things that's really helped grow the community is the continuous updates, where we release new maps, new character classes, new unlockables, new weapons. And we tell the stories about the characters, like the meet the sniper, or meet the sandwich. And that ongoing delivery of content really seems to grow the community.

"So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know the percentage increase of new players when they released the Survival update? Maybe it was really disappointing and discouraging of future support.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ah, right. You're an imbecile. Got it.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PS guys do you really think between now and when this comes out you will not have scraped up $50?

RubberAC on
  • TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    PS guys do you really think between now and when this comes out you will not have scraped up $50?

That's not responsive to their complaints...like...at all...

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not being to able to sleep isn't a problem. This thread is wonderful entertainment.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Does anyone know the percentage increase of new players when they released the Survival update? Maybe it was really disappointing and discouraging of future support.
    They didn't follow through on other stuff. For example, we didn't get any additional movies outside of the intro. Not that I'm clamoring for videos, but the TF2 series does generate buzz.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think we should go back to trying to come up with the WORST ideas for additions to Left 4 Dead. Cycling back to our spat about the sequel and what not is just silly.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Interview with AusGamer Chet said teh patch coming out next will have some interesting stuff in it, in addition to the Matchmaking patch, he said not a campaign, but some fun stuff

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We need to settle this in a VS match.
    Loyalist VS Separatist

Brian on
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Only if I get to be the director. I love no-win situations.

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    We need to settle this in a VS match.
    Loyalist VS Separatist

Ill go on which ever team has mics

Zombie Monkey on
    edited June 2009
    For anyone who fancies a read this is all the info about l4d2 we have so far (not my compiling)
    Left 4 Dead 2 Information

The primary sources are interviews, E3 gameplay videos, and blog articles. Please post any missing/new information! I'll be updating and rewriting this regularly.

If you'd like, I've created a copy of this on my website that has much more formatting and features than what are allowed on the forums. Check it out!

Official Information: Any information that is considered official (from an official source like Steam News) will be colored light green. Any information derived from Valve employee remarks and alpha gameplay are not considered official.

Also, please, please, please restrict your comments to questions and comments about L4D2 information. There's plenty of room elsewhere for evaluating Valve's choices.

Game Information

* Release: November 17, 2009.
    * Platforms: Windows and Xbox 360.
    * Engine: Source.
    * Preliminary Price: $59.99 for Xbox 360. $49.99 for PC.
    * Publisher: Unannounced.

Highlighted Features

* 5 new campaigns, including The Parish.
    * New, unannounced game mode. All chapters will be available for all game modes at launch.
    * 4 new characters: Coach, Rochelle, Ellis, and Nick.
    * 20 new weapons and items. [Source?]
    * 5 new melee weapons. Known melee weapons: axe, chainsaw, frying pan, and baseball bat.
    * New ranged weapons. Ranged weapons at least include new pistols, silenced SMG, new pump and auto shotgun, new sniper rifle.
    * More powerful AI Director 2.0.
    * New Infected types, including 3 new SI (e.g. Charger).
    * At least some daylight gameplay.

Other Features/Mechanics

* Will work with community maps made with the L4D1 SDK. [Source: See FAQ.]
    * Portal level designer Kim Swift is involved in the level design.
    * Left 4 Dead 1 content may be included in the DVD, so that Xbox players will not have to switch DVDs to play the old content. This might also be true for PC users. [Source?]
    * Co-op mode, Versus mode, and Survival mode for all maps will be included at launch.
    * It appears that some L4D1 explosives/incendiaries are included and have similar, if not identical, models: so far the Molotov, pipe bomb, gas can, and propane tank have been seen.
    * Melee fatigue will be included, and may affect Campaign mode.
    * At least some L4D1 achievements are included.

Storytelling

* Takes place one week after L4D1's events; located in the American Southeast (instead of Pennsylvania). In some places, the Infection is not as pervasive as it was in all areas of L4D1.
    * A continuous storyline between campaigns with more tie-ins. It is intended to be a more coherent narrative than the L4D1 campaign set.
    * The team has expressed a desire to improve the storytelling without adding bulky narrative devices like cutscenes.
    * Round characters: over the campaigns, their personalities and relationships will change. More back-and-forth interactions and running jokes.
    * Still no backstory to the infection.
    * The military takes a much greater role. There is talk of "humans turning on humans", though Chet has specifically said that Survivors will not be firing at other humans. There will be some kind of violent tension between the military and survivors who wish to enter the safe zones.

Campaigns

The Parish
    The final campaign in the main story sequence. Set in New Orleans, LA, it features daytime gameplay and a primarily urban setting. The goal of the map is to battle through various parts of the city to escape on a military vehicle. Gameplay footage reveals building-to-building tactics as well as an elaborate scene where the Survivors must race across a bridge littered with cars, Infected, and dangerous drops.

One possible chapter name is The Dock. This is the first chapter of The Parish, judging by this screenshot. The safe room is found in a house on a nearby street.

The next chapter (probably "Jackson Square" or something like that) starts right outside the house. The Survivors battle across a park, then move into a CEDA staging area (the one with the trailer and chainlink fences). This is a rolling crescendo. After deactivating the alarm, they go through a bus station, then move into the safe room.

Later, players will encounter a cemetery. This will likely be a rolling crescendo event with dynamic pathing.

The last chapter and the finale will include a two-level bridge. Chet calls this finale event of this campaign the "Gauntlet". It had seemed originally that "gauntlet" referred to the new moving crescendos, but he seems to use this to refer to the finale specifically. Chet has also mentioned that the finale occurs in the French Quarter, but he probably used the term to loosely refer to the portion of New Orleans near the French Quarter instead of the actual traditional French Quarter boundary.

There appears to be a much greater emphasis on contact with (or at least knowledge of) other humans, as fighter jets can be seen in the background. This comes in stark contrast to the current L4D, which has a decidedly more bleak outlook with almost no show of a cohesive defense against the outbreak.

Other Campaigns
    Very few details are available about other campaigns right now, but there are five, total. The first campaign is set in Savannah, GA (not Africa ), where the infection has not completely taken hold yet. Between Savannah and New Orleans, there will definitely also be swamp-based campaigns. These swamps will include wide-open areas that may be subject to dangerous weather conditions that will suddenly limit visibility. Chet mentioned the limited visibility in the cornfields of BH5 as being of a similar design, gameplay-wise.

The ShackNews interview loosely suggests a mall chapter and something involving Ferris wheels. In a developer video, Chet also mentions a sewer immediately before an impound lot.

Characters

Coach
    A high school football coach who used to play for a college team until he had a career-ending knee injury and decided to get his degree. He's from the Savannah, GA area, and is used to handling kids and parents. Coach is voiced by Chad Coleman, who plays Denise "Cutty" Wise from the TV series "The Wire". When asked about whether or not the character is based on the "Survivor" contestant, Chet Faliszek, the L4D team leader, had this to say: "[He's] not based on the world's biggest ♥♥♥♥♥♥bag. We made that design choice."

Rochelle
    A northerner from Cleveland. She has a degree in communications and always wanted to be involved in the news. After working for a cable news station as an associate manager, doing meaningless tasks, she was promoted and sent to produce a story in Savannah, where some kind of odd occurrences were happening. Rochelle is voiced by Rochelle Aytes, who was in "White Chicks".

Ellis
    A smart, fun-loving, beer-loving, goofiness-loving mechanic with Southern flare. Need we say more? Ellis' voice actor is Eric Ladin.

Nick
    A gambler, conman, and all-around picaresque persona in a slick, expensive suit. Nick joins the other three and is unsure about whether or not he can trust them. He's the most cynical and bitter of the Survivors, and is still trying to figure out the best "angle" to get from the recent zombie apocalypse. Over time, he begins to trust and value his new compatriots. Nick is voiced by Hugh Dillon, an actor from "Flashpoint" on CBS.

Melee Weapons

Melee weapons will be available in L4D2. Many of the weapon mechanics are not known. It appears that bashing (pushing) is possible with melee weapons in addition to offensive attacks. This is at least true for the fire axe. The weapons don't appear to wear down over time, and so far, it doesn't seem like melee fatigue applies to them. Flashlights can be used with melee weapons.

Melee weapons do not take up the primary weapon slot. Instead, they override other weapons, much like propane tanks. Compare these shots, one from before picking the axe up, and one after. The primary weapon slot is deselected, but is not empty. In this shot, the player has quick-switched weapons, causing him to drop the axe. [Additional source]

The Fire Axe
    The fire axe is the most extensively covered melee weapon so far. It's a short red axe often used by firefighters. Survivors primarily swing it in a horizontal cutting motion, but they will occasionally also swing it vertically. This downwards slice can one-hit some Special Infected. The axe will be able to crown a Witch if used properly.

The axe has a cleaving (AOE) effect that can be quite devastating. It also deals location damage, meaning that it can affect specific subset areas of the body, much like how Level 2 weapons can shear off extremities now. The axe can deal friendly fire damage, but the limitations of this are not clear.

The axe model changes over time. It starts out new, but then it starts getting scraped. Blood appears on the blade and handle.

Cast-Iron Pan
    The cast-iron pan (shown here wielded menacingly by Nick) makes a KAPWANG sound when used. The normal animation is a right-top to left-bottom cross-body swing. The cast iron pan also has a cleaving attack and a one-hit kill against Special Infected. The one-hit kill animation is an uppercut swing.

The pan can be found in The Docks chapter on a range in a commercial kitchen. It's not clear if its model changes. It looks somewhat bloody even on the range.

Chainsaw
    There will be a chainsaw manufactured by the world-famous Saxton Hale Industries. Little additional information is available.

Baseball Bat
    Very little information exists about the baseball bat.

Ranged Weapons

Submachine Gun
    Instead of the Uzi, the new game features a silenced MAC-10. The silencer makes no difference in gameplay mechanics. Based on gameplay footage, the MAC-10 is effectively the same as the Uzi, and at least has the same ammo count.

Assault Rifle
    The new assault rifle seems to be a standard-barrel FN Scar. The Scar comes in 7.62mm and 5.56mm varieties. Here's another angle. From this angle, the Scar and two sidearms (see below) are visible.

Sniper Rifle
    There appears to be a new semi-automatic, scoped rifle that looks like a CETME-based Heckler & Koch rifle, such as the G3, HK41SG1, HK33, etc. It's too hard to tell with the limited resolution and visible time of the weapon. It definitely has ironsights and a SG-style stock. Pics: 1 2 3. The sniper rifle appears to have a 30-round clip!

Shotguns
    The new autoshotgun model appears based on the SPAS-12, but it is unclear if it has any effective difference from the Benelli M4. In reality, both weapons are relatively similar and can fire the same ammunition at similar rates.

There is a new pump shotgun model. On first glance, it looks like the Mossberg 500 Marine or similar light-colored metal shotgun.

Sidearms
    The game appears to have at least two types of sidearms, both 9mm. The Glock 17 and Sig Sauer have both appeared in multiple videos.

Incendiary Ammo
    Incendiary ammunition is the only new ammo modifier that has been revealed. This ammunition appears as a special type of ammo cache. After picking it up, every bullet from your first clip sets any Infected it hits on fire. If your bullets have this bonus, your tracers' trails appear red.

Picking up this ammo adds a flame icon to your primary weapon slot and changes your ammunition count to only show the remaining number of incendiary rounds. Reloading has no effect on this number. Once expended, the icon disappears and the number changes back to your regular ammo count. Whenever you pick up this ammo, you automatically reload your gun.

This ammunition does not appear to increase your total number of bullets, but it's possible that if you have no ammo, it will give you one full magazine.

Last edited by Elunah : Yesterday at 11:01 PM. Reason: Voice actors
    Elunah is offline Reply With Quote
    Elunah
    View Public Profile
    Visit Elunah's homepage!
    Find More Posts by Elunah
    Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM #2
    Elunah
    [100 - 499 posts]

Infected

Common Infected
    The Common Infected and current Special Infected will still be in the game. However, there will be some noticeable differences. Common Infected will be harder to kill. Arms can be sheared off without killing them. In the daytime, they won't be able to see you from as far as in nighttime, and they will behave differently. They also have a different appearance. Clothing will be more in line with Southern sensibilities.

"Uncommon Common Infected" will be added to the game. Currently, the only known UCI is the zombie wearing the environmental suit (Hazmat suit). The suit, which can be white, yellow, or green, renders him immune to Molotovs and other fire-based attacks, including the fire effect of the new incendiary ammo (see this screenshot).

The hazmat UCI is only found in The Parish, and there will likely be an area that is "full" of these Infected. Doug has said that each campaign will have a unique UCI.

Original Special Infected
    The original five SI will return in the new game. A few new voices and other sounds have been added, though the number of new sounds has not been determined. At least the Boomer, Hunter, and Witch are visible in IGN's E3 gameplay videos.

Witch
    The Witch will behave differently during daytime. Instead of sitting, she will stand and wander around, making her much more difficult to crown. She may also turn around randomly. This has led some to call her the "Wandering Witch". There are some indications that the warning signs for the Witch will also be less perceptible in the daytime. It is unknown if she is any easier to startle while standing.

Gameplay footage shows the Witch sitting down in daylight. This might be due to her position in the shade or because she got lazy.

The Charger
    One new Boss type has been revealed: the Charger. You may want to look at this thread. While not as large as a Tank, he has an enlarged torso and right arm and an abnormally shaped head. His left arm is shriveled and hangs oddly off the side of his hunched back. He wears a pair of overalls that have slightly burst due to his malformations. He can be seen from the front and back in the teaser trailer. Here's a close-up.

Extreme speed is the Charger's main strength. The Charger is designed to defeat camping tactics by rushing Survivors, and has been called a "one-armed ram on crystal meth." He's also extremely resilient from the front. Based on gameplay footage, we can estimate that he can absorb up to 1500 damage from the front (on Normal difficulty) but much less from the back. It is likely he has damage mitigation (armor) for his front but not his back.

Some accounts indicate that the Charger has less obvious warning signs than a Tank, so he may surprise you and your group from the flanks. He has a habit of charging groups like a bull, tossing anyone he hits. However, he has trouble turning, and it may be possible to sidestep him.

He grabs the last Survivor he bowls over, picking him up (and disabling him) and slamming him to the ground repeatedly. While his initial charge affects multiple Survivors, this bashing action does not appear to cleave. He appears to be immune to bashing.

The Charger also appears to be more of a common Special Infected (as opposed to the Tank and Witch). It can spawn simultaneously with the Tank, and some reports say it can spawn a few times each chapter, at least. Recent gameplay videos reveal that he has a distinct long, medium-pitched bellow.

The Daytime footage indicates that he can scale fences rather quickly, but that his pathing is a bit buggy at the moment.

The Charger is already playable in Versus mode.

Gameplay Changes

The developers have said that they want to change things up and throw off current tactics and exploits without changing too much of what made the original game so enjoyable. This means that there will be some game mechanics changes and some new challenges.

On average, the total number of Infected in each level has been increased. Where an average game in L4D1 might result in a death count of around 1000-1200, the average game in L4D2 might disembowel 1700-2000 zombies.

Doug has said that first aid kits will not always be available in safe rooms. Placing them outside (e.g. in ambulances) encourages more strategic play.

Daytime Play
    At least some parts of The Parish will be played in the dawn hours. Doug Lombardi noted that the sky in many parts of the South have a distinct orange hue, especially during dawn. The team has added effects to simulate this. The decision to include daytime play was partly in an effort to increase gameplay variation.

AI Director
    The AI Director (2.0) will have significantly more control. In addition to "his" current tasks of controlling spawns, item locations, and music, the new AID will also be able to control the layout of the map itself, changing the location of obstacles and available pathways. This is designed to change based on how well the Survivors are doing. Making longer paths (is supposed to) make the encounter harder. Dynamic paths are also expected to make Versus much more interesting, giving the Infected more of an awareness edge.

Chet has mentioned two specific locations where this will occur: the Cemetery and French Quarter in The Parish. Changes in grave sites will result in changes in path in the cemetery, while explosions caused by the military will change the path in the French Quarter.

The AID2 can also control weather and other effects to completely customize the experience. This is especially true for the swamp-based campaign(s), which may begin in daylight. The Director can then create harsh weather conditions which will severely limit visibility, making it harder to spot Infected and teammates. Outlines won't appear in the fog.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShackNews
    Chet: "We're giving it control over the weather now. Now you go from [a sunny day] to holy crap man, I can't see anyone around me. It's like the Blood Harvest cornfield, right."
    Crescendos
    A new crescendo design will be included. In this crescendo, which we will call the "rolling crescendo", Survivors must run from the start of the event to an objective to stop the hordes from spawning. For instance, the "Stop the Alarm" video includes a tooltip telling Survivors to deactivate an alarm at the end of a winding path.

These are designed to force Survivors to move by placing an objective at the end of a path, thwarting any camping-based strategies. They have been described as "mini-Survival mode" parts. Chet has specifically said that the highest priority for the L4D2 team thus far has been counteracting camping, saying that it "sucks that the best way to play the game isn't the funnest." Rolling crescendos (and Chargers) are two ways of countering these strategies.

There will also be a moving crescendo which takes place in a car impound lot where every car has an alarm. [Source]

Superficial Changes

* Each campaign gets its own movie!
    * Increased gore. More detailed screen-splattering effects. Some report being able to blow off bits of flesh, revealing intestines, ribs, etc.
    * More blood, especially splashing. Look at Coach here and here.
    * Pipe bombs create ragdolls.
    * More complex location damage (shearing of limbs, bits of the chest, etc.)
    * Multiracial zombies. Most zombies in L4D1 appear Caucasian.
    * New tooltips, e.g. "Deactivate the alarm to open the exit doors."
    * More stylized HP bars with gradients. Temporary HP may appear as a patchy bar instead of a hatched one.
    * New appearance for dead Survivors.
    * More stylized channeling bar.
    * New load screen and main menu screen. Note that these are from the X360 version.

Speculation

* It looks like you may be able to move while healing yourself. This may be a glitch.
    * Alarm-bearing cars don't seem to chirp anymore. When they are activated, the windows appear to break/vanish.
    * In some gameplay footage, the pistol appears to fire slowly at a consistent rate. Could this be a change allowing players to hold down the trigger?

Zombie Monkey on