As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like how Zombie Monkey's ideas are so horrible they manage to completely change the topic. Thats some Grade A terrible, right there.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sick in the "You just violated the terms of your parole" sort of way.

Well, I think I can live with that.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I wanna see some custom Simon Pegg and Nick Frost character models for L4D

Not to mention the Criquiett [sic] bat.
    Seriously? You have trouble spelling Cricket?

Fencingsax on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You all suck and i hate you each individually, without exception, for different and general reasons

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I was in a hurry and thought "its British, it must be spelt oddly. I mean, look at Zombie Monkey."
    I <3 you Zombie

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited June 2009
    Its Croquett surely

Zombie Monkey on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I was in a hurry and thought "its British, it must be spelt oddly. I mean, look at Zombie Monkey."

"Lets listen to some Quoldpleae."

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited June 2009
    Its Croquett surely

I wanted to meet halfway.

Nappuccino on

• TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's Crocket, Shirley

TyrantCow on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cricket bat right? Made for smashing the bugs of the same name. Obviously.

Brian on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    Cricket bat right? Made for smashing the bugs of the same name. Obviously.

And bats.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And don't call me Sirley

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2009
    And don't call me Sirley

surely you can't be serious.

Nappuccino on

• Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    See, it's by joining up against ZM that we forget about how terrible the other person is by liking/disliking L4D2.

Really, it's kind of like the plot for Watchmen.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited June 2009
    Im a good...Good man

Zombie Monkey on
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    The ability to give bots commands would be a welcome addition in L4D2.

You can give bots commands already. I use the "Let's Move" and "Wait Here" commands to position them for Crescendo events. It takes them a while sometimes, but it works.

Blain on
    edited June 2009
    Blain wrote: »
    Tertiee wrote: »
    The ability to give bots commands would be a welcome addition in L4D2.

You can give bots commands already. I use the "Let's Move" and "Wait Here" commands to position them for Crescendo events. It takes them a while sometimes, but it works.

I don't think that actually does anything. Their AI is set to move toward the PC after x amount of time has passed.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited June 2009
    Possibly, but I've done it in multiplayer, and the bot came to me specifically.

Blain on
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I could never get the commands to affect the bots - no matter what I said, they would still park their feckless arses right in front of a witch until she attacked, or hang back when I needed them to go forward.

Ed321 on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best part is when the bot gets detached from the group and you wonder if it's ever gonna catch up to you then it just warps to your spot.

Roland_tHTG on
    edited June 2009
    I rather hate that since I like to speed run through on advanced and see who lives and who dies.

Unearthly Stew on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bots commands would nice.

Would like to see those dumb bastards use grenades also.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "We had a lot of fun playing through The Parish campaign; let's just say that there was a lot of screaming and yelling going on as something new hit us. Yet despite all the details we came away with, there are a lot more left to be unearthed. What are the other campaigns? What did Chet mean about Savannah being a city where the infection hasn't hit yet? What are the other special zombies? What are the other weapons and items? What's the new gameplay mode that Valve isn't talking about? Answers are sure to come in the coming months, but until then, we'll wait in eager anticipation for Left 4 Dead 2 on November 17. "

From this article...http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/988/988416p1.html

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
    edited June 2009
    I ran a few tests. I think you guys are right and it was just circumstances that made the bots seem to be doing what I told them.

"Now... Sit! I said, Sit! Um, take a walk. Sniff that other dog's butt!"

Personally, I don't want Valve to spend much time on this. New campaigns, weapons, and infected seem more worthwhile. And even the world's best bots aren't much fun compared to people. Well, maybe the Republic Commando bots...

Blain on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I mean, the bots are ok but they aren't anything compared to having another person with you.

Nappuccino on

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For giving the bots orders, it seems like if you just tap Z (for "look") while pointing at them, you'll say their name. Then, when you give an order, they'll say "okay".

Still don't know if they'll actually DO anything, though.

Garthor on
    edited June 2009
    Bots don't take orders from anybody for anything.

Nappuccino on

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No the bots really aren't okay, not by a long shot. And yes they do need drastic improvment because I have lost games after someone on my team quit and the bot fucked around and got himself/all of us killed.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009
    We're talking campaign mode i thought. And really, the only problem on campaigns that bots have are facing tanks and (sometimes) witches.

In the grand scheme of things, they're often better than randoms. For campaign atleast.

Nappuccino on

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No they aren't. Besides, you can vote a player off.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The biggest problems the bots have is they have a lack of priorities coded into them.

If I get pounced, Francis will usually continue shooting standard infected 50 yards away until his clip is empty, pause to point and yell "Smoker!" then start reloading before he decides to stroll backwards to kill the hunter long after it incaps me from 60 HP.

Roland_tHTG on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thread stop mocking me, i command it

Zoey needs a game fix every so often. Sadly, she only has a Game Gear meaning that the batteries in the handheld only last for 2.67 seconds.

She will need to forage for batteries constantly if she doesn't want to be depressed.
    LaCabra wrote: »
    jesus christ, they gave you survival and more versus shit, and an SDK, what more do you want

most companies don't bother with anything like that kind of support

Three things. 1 survival wasn't that great, atleast not for me personally. 2 the vs maps were maps that should have been in the original game (hell, they even had infected climbing paths in the original campaign versions! you just had to find them. And, this is going out on a limb, but I think that most people who played the bootlegged versions of those vs maps enjoyed it more than the official ones. They removed so many spots for the infected to hide/go from) and 3, we still don't have the SDK.

I'm late! But the SDK is out, as are several quality custom maps, and we can play custom maps online, you just can't go through the usual matchmaking thing yet. I mostly play Survival on custom maps, where it is awesome-er than in the campaign and Last Stand ones.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    There is an SKD that allows you to make maps compatiable with L4D but, to my knowledge it isn't the SKD they want to release for L4D

I could be wrong though.

Nappuccino on

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SDK

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited June 2009
    So, apparently one of the campaigns is focusing on an area where the infected haven't reached yet...what the fuck?

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    "We had a lot of fun playing through The Parish campaign; let's just say that there was a lot of screaming and yelling going on as something new hit us. Yet despite all the details we came away with, there are a lot more left to be unearthed. What are the other campaigns? What did Chet mean about Savannah being a city where the infection hasn't hit yet? What are the other special zombies? What are the other weapons and items? What's the new gameplay mode that Valve isn't talking about? Answers are sure to come in the coming months, but until then, we'll wait in eager anticipation for Left 4 Dead 2 on November 17. "

From this article...http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/988/988416p1.html

The campaign progression, from what I've read, goes from like....New Orleans to Savannah. Not necessarily in that order, though.

TwistedFate on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, apparently one of the campaigns is focusing on an area where the infected haven't reached yet...what the fuck?

In the same way the town in L4D might have held out? 'Tis in-game speculation as a narrative device. Or you arrive just as everything is going to shit.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that would be interesting

maybe that's what they meant when they talked about having NPC's around. Perhaps you'll be part of the defense of a village or whatever as the infected start to arrive

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe you play as the infected in the actual campaign for some levels, and you spread the infection. That'd add a lot of replay for people who aren't crazy about versus mode.

Darlan on