As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The army at PAX? WHY!?

AneurysmAneurysm Registered User regular
edited June 2005 in PAX Archive
This is a joke right? You guys can't be seriously inviting the army to PAX.

Do you honestly think that they're going to show up just to promote their game (obvious recruitment tool BTW), and go home? Hell no! They're going to have recruiters covering the halls and the game rooms trying to get people to sign up, adding tension and aggrivation to an event that's supposed to be a fun, sleepless, 3-day weekend of gaming, music, and general dork insanity.

Please reconsider. Take a page out of the book of the PTSA's in Seattle high schools and keep the army out of PAX.

--Aneurysm

Nintendogs 2, featuring wireless dog shit. Coming to a DS near you!
Aneurysm on

• Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Or maybe it'll just be a few guys involved with the game's development.

Seriously dude, chill out.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2005
    is this guy serious

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    omg the game is being used to recruit people!!!
    head for the hilllllllls

futility on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    When I first heard about this I was like wtf noooooooooooo but now I'm like whatever

Moriveth on
  • JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    i'm like THEY'D BETTER BRING TANKS AND HELICOPTERS AND GUNS.
    then it's all cool. but only if i can drive the tank or rappel from the helicopter or shoot the gun. :o

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    Jinx FD wrote:
    i'm like THEY'D BETTER BRING TANKS AND HELICOPTERS AND GUNS.
    then it's all cool. but only if i can drive the tank or rappel from the helicopter or shoot the gun. :o

Ooh...

They should have them bring the Stryker...

But only if they can use it as a shuttle for attendees from the Meydenbauer to the Doubletree and back. :D

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited June 2005
    Meydenbauer foundations can be remade! the stryker is forever.

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I so want to see the Stryker. It's really not all that bad, we have recruter guys come to my school once or twice a month and they are not all that pushy. And I think that with so many nerds, they will feel out of place. And remember if they to upity we know how to use guns too :wink:

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2005
    ZeroZero wrote:
    And remember if they to upity we know how to use guns too :wink:

Because you play videogames with guns in them?

Knob on
  • SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Knob wrote:
    Because you play videogames with guns in them?
    I believe that was the gist of his jest.
    Zig21 wrote:
    maybe it'll just be a few guys involved with the game's development.
    Hard-core gamers are highly prized prospects by all branches, due in no small part to our technological proficiency. I'd be genuinely surprised if the Army didn't send at least one recruiter. Army, Navy and Marine Corps recruiters frequently camp my local Gameworks, where I witnessed the following exchange.

Marine Corps recruiter: "You like anime?"
    16-year-old playing Metal Slug: "Uh.. yeah, I guess..."
    Master Chief: "We can make sure you're stationed in Okinawa, Japan."
    Frustrated 16-year-old playing Metal Slug: "Dude, I'm only 16 years old..."
    Corps-whore: "Great! Now's the perfect time to start planning for your future, bro."
    Pissed-off 16-year-old, now losing a game of Metal Slug due to the distraction: "Do I have to tell you I'm gay to get you to fuck-off?!"

Ah, surly gamers. But I digress.

As long as any and all Army personnel in attendance refrain from engaging in unsolicited recruiting outside of their display booth, e.g. in the LAN room, console room, ect., I predict a cordial showing... at least until Kato_Arabel makes good on his promise to give one of the soldiers "a cheap shot to the family jewels." Hope I have my camera at the ready for that.
    Legacy wrote:
    They should have them bring the Stryker...

But only if they can use it as a shuttle for attendees from the Meydenbauer to the Doubletree and back. :D
    Jinx FD wrote:
    Meydenbauer foundations can be remade! the stryker is forever.
    It's obvious that they need to bring two vehicles. A Stryker, aka the rolling coffin, for use as the official convention shuttle, and a Bradley, aka... um.. the other rolling coffin, for expedient foundation pulverization.

SnowGhost on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    The army does recruiting. They usually do this at places not devoted to army recruiting, as increasing interest is kind of the point. I think this is a fine idea, as PAX will be full of people who might have gotten some interest in the countries Armed Forces via America's Army.

Why this would upset anyone is beyond me. It's not like they'll come up to your computer at PAX and steal the mouse untill you agree to enlist.

Nobody has to see their song and dance or join their ranks, but I'm not even an American and I know that not supporting your men in uniform regardless of personally ideology is an ugly notion.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited June 2005
    hey

hey guys

i have an idea

ignore them

Borfase on
    edited June 2005
    I was at a LAN in Seattle in January and there were Army guys there. They were technically recruiting, but IMO they were just using that as a cover so they could come play games.

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Last time I visited the States I was in a Wal-Mart parking lot and a pair of the Recruit-o-Bots swooped down on me. They weren't pushy in the same way American border guards aren't pushy -- friendly, but very thorough. Anyways, I had a good laugh; I got them to recite their whole speel about why I should join the army, and after about 15 minutes of them droning on in their cold, mechanical voices I informed them that I can't join because I'm not an American citizen, but I enjoyed their speech nonetheless.

Still, I'll probably stick around for a while. My uncle, obsessed with all things that go boom, might want me to ask them a few questions, and my cousin, blessed (cursed?) with dual citizenship, managed to get himself in the Marine Corps so I'll see if they know him. I'll behave, I promise.

Azio on
  • Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    There will be army recruiters there. Please don't give them a hard time.

-Mike

Mike Fehlauer on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    but the army men like to kidnap people and make them join or else

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2005
    i believe that is a lie.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    oh. thank you for clearing up that up

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    There will be army recruiters there. Please don't give them a hard time.

-Mike

As long as they don't give me a hard time and try to cram stuff down my throat, I won't give them a hard time. :)

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    hmmm.. I'd still like to see some guy take it in the nards though.....

*grin*

:twisted:

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I wonder what would happen if I signed all their papers and stuff, only to later find out I'm canadian....

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    leaf wrote:
    I wonder what would happen if I signed all their papers and stuff, only to later find out I'm canadian....

Canadians can join the US Armed Forces.

So you might want to be careful...

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited June 2005
    Hah, had no idea. Not that I would regardless, just curious.

I have no love for the armed forces, but I still have friends that're tank drivers, mechanics, demo. experts, etc., so it's not like I really mind if they're there or what they do. Just say you're not interested if they ask you.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Can they really???

That seems kinda odd... does they offer citzenship to the enlistees?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • AneurysmAneurysm Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I apologize if this this is redundant thread. I looked through the list yesterday to see if anyone else had started a thread on this and didn't see Kato's.

Make no mistake though, I don't mean this to be a thread in which to rant about my views of the military (I'll save that for the D&D forum) , merely one in which to suggest that letting the army attend PAX should be called into question.

I admit my first post was of a frantic tone, but finding this out just came as a bit of a shock, especially when considering 1) Recruiters are projected to fall far short of their recruitment goals in Washington state, 2) more recruiters are being trained and deployed, 3) the aforementioned tensions at Seattle High Schools and 4) as SnowGhost said:
    Hard-core gamers are highly prized prospects by all branches, due in no small part to our technological proficiency

All I'm doing is reading the local paper regularly and doing the math. There are just too many factors that point toward a potentially bad situation and/or serious bummer on an otherwise fun time.

Now of course I could be wrong. Zig could be quite right that maybe just a few developers would show. It's entirely possible, but currently to my mind it doesn't seem plausible.

If the recruiters show up, I see the possibility of lots of gamers being harangued and annoyed on a constant basis, and what fun is that? Who would want to be bothered with the morbid offer of actually shooting people / getting killed? Not me. The only blood I want is made of pixels. The only people/robots/aliens I want to shoot are made of polygons. :D

--Aneurysm

P.S.
    I put in my vote for Kato to kick an army dude in the cajones, though he may not live to tell the tale...

Aneurysm on
    Nintendogs 2, featuring wireless dog shit. Coming to a DS near you!
    edited June 2005
    it really isn't that hard to ignore them

Borfase on
    edited June 2005
    the army has been at E3 for a few years in a row promoting America's Army, but i haven't heard of them soliciting people to enlist. they roll in with big tanks and helicopters and show off by rappeling into the parking lot. i'm sure they'll try equally flashy stuff at PAX, and i hope it's as easygoing as it has been at e3.

i hope they have the vr sim there. shooting pistols is fun.

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
  • Golden GodGolden God Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Army recruiters like everyone else have a job to do. Like most people not all of them like their job. Now if you invite them down just to play their games, there is a good chance they will come because it’s rare they don’t when invited.

Then it all boils down to age group / personalities of the people who come down. They might be gamers they might not. If they are gamers they might just play games and as small talk ask if you might be interested in the army. If you say no they might ask why. All you have to do is say I’m not interested in enlisting and they will leave you alone. No one has to worry about half way through they slam cages over the doors and then everyone inside has to join the army.

Joining like most things is a matter of free choice. And if they didn’t at least ask one person if they wanted to join then they would not being doing their job which would make them a mockery of the position they hold and the country they are serving.

Golden God on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Jinx FD wrote:
    they roll in with big tanks and helicopters and show off by rappeling into the parking lot. i'm sure they'll try equally flashy stuff at PAX

Given that PAX tends to attract whatever's left over after E3, we'll probably get a couple of Coast Guardsmen jumping out of a station wagon. :twisted:

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    All I'm doing is reading the local paper regularly and doing the math.

There's your mistake. The Times and PI are hardly reliable outlets of unbiased journalism. :roll: Fucking commies.

No offense but this "uproar" you've created is a tad bit amusing. It's like some of you have suffered at the hands of the military in some form or another. Come on, it's not like you were mentally scarred in the killing fields of Somalia or something. You don't even know what their presence at PAX will really be like in the first place.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    As an ex-Army combat veteran from the early Afghanistan days, I look forward to chatting with these guys for a few minutes. Also, there is no need for anyone to give them a hard time.

Weaver on
    edited June 2005
    Weaver wrote:
    As an ex-Army combat veteran from the early Afghanistan days, I look forward to chatting with these guys for a few minutes. Also, there is no need for anyone to give them a hard time.

Definately. Just because I won't enlist doesn't mean I won't wanna talk with the guys. I'll probably look them out just to ask a few questions, things like where they've been stationed, just how (in)accurate some games are for their weaponry, what got them to enlist...that sorta thing.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited June 2005
    SmallLady wrote:
    does they offer citzenship to the enlistees?
    No. But doing 2.5 may grease the wheels with La Migra.

Just to clarify my position: 69
    Weaver wrote:
    I look forward to chatting with these guys... there is no need for anyone to give them a hard time.
    On one hand we have the "OMFG! Teh Armyz g0ing to kidn4p us!1!!0N3!" hyperbole, and on the other hand we have the eternal jingoistic battle cry; "Fucking Commies!"

Copacetic...

To belay the fears of the "OMFG" lot; should anyone accost you, be it an overzealous recruiter, abusive attendee or horny Nintendo mascot, simply tell a Enforcer.. better yet, tell Khoo. He lives to be burdened with our trivial concerns... in fact, the more trivial the better. If PAX 05 is anything like 04 he'll be easy enough to spot; dressed in a dapper pastel shirt, frantically dashing from room to room whilst he mumbles a steady stream of obscenities into a walkie-talkie. As he skips by, attendees will point and ask the question that's preoccupied man since the beginning of time: "SNAP, is that Portland China?!"

As far as the "Fucking Commies" lobby is concerned; I've yet to meet a recruiter, post Gulf II, that actually enjoys his or her work. They're under an enormous amount of pressure to meet their quotas. It's a fact that a growing minority of recruiters engage in behavior that could only be described as dishonorable. A fact that by no means guarantees that any recruiters in attendance will demonstrate such behavior. Countering hyperbole with hyperbole, e.g. "they died for you!!!", isn't helping, isn't the topic at hand and does nothing to speak to a legitimate point. A legitimate point that may have no place in the PAX forum.
    Borfase wrote:
    hey

hey guys

i have an idea

ignore them

it really isn't that hard to ignore them
    Had anyone else made this suggestion we all would have agreed, unanimously, and that would have been the end of it.. what happened to you? You used to be beautiful, man... but now look at you, all helpful.. gracious even. You've sold out, man! You are fucking dead to me!!!

Here lies Borfase: King of the trolls!
    Joined - Jul 30, 2003
    Totally pussied out - Jun 24, 2005
    BTW/off-topic, how did you get jailed this time?
    Jinx FD wrote:
    the army has been at E3 for a few years in a row promoting America's Army, but i haven't heard of them soliciting people to enlist.
    E3 is, at least officially, closed to the public. You can expect both on site recruiters and a disappointing lack of theatrics at PAX, as opposed to the show they put on for the press at E3. If you ask real nice they might rappel from the "smoking" balcony.
    Jinx FD wrote:
    shooting pistols is fun[!!!]
    Hells yeah it's fun! It's also fun to blow things up and jump out of planes! It's a constant struggle to stay the course, professionally, and resist the urge to run off to raise some fiery, fiery hell...

Guess that's the testosterone talking.. or ADD... both, maybe?

And lastly; Kato_Arabel, as your thread got locked before I could speak to your core point, the same disability that excludes you from enlisting prevents you from using a recruitment tool. Don't get me wrong, I feel for your situation. It's obvious that they are breaking the law. What's more, as they've issued a subtitle patch for previous versions of AA, they're aware of their noncompliance with section 508. [apathy]Isn't much that can be done about that...[/apathy]

SnowGhost on
    edited June 2005
    who in god's name are you

Borfase on
    edited June 2005
    Your lack of punctuation implies a sense of neutrality. Doubletree? Room number I-can't-remember-and-really-don't-care?.. I believe you were (extremely) drunk at the time... at least I hope so. For if not, I may have given a drink to a complete stranger with an acute mental disability.

SnowGhost on
  • ghrogghrog Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Aneurysm wrote:
    This is a joke right? You guys can't be seriously inviting the army to PAX.

Do you honestly think that they're going to show up just to promote their game (obvious recruitment tool BTW), and go home? Hell no! They're going to have recruiters covering the halls and the game rooms trying to get people to sign up, adding tension and aggrivation to an event that's supposed to be a fun, sleepless, 3-day weekend of gaming, music, and general dork insanity.

Please reconsider. Take a page out of the book of the PTSA's in Seattle high schools and keep the army out of PAX.

--Aneurysm

omfg: we're going to have to like, say "no, i'm not interested" to someone. OHSHI CONFLICT.

FFS, this is not a big deal.

I'm sorry if my post is off-topic at this point (I didn't bother to read any of the other posts), but geewhiz, what a whiney thing to complain about :roll:

ghrog on
    PAX PC-Tournament Admin | http://www.bellinghamlan.com
  • LincolnLincoln Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    omg

i'm too fat for the army

i made sure of it

Lincoln on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    weight can be lost.

I'm too anti real life violence
    and too old...
    yup tooo old

futility on
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited June 2005
    we talked to them, there will be none of that stuff. Just showing off the game.

Gabriel on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I know I'll be sure to wear some clothing with USMC in big bold letters while they're around.

Mister Longbaugh on
This discussion has been closed.