As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe it's like you arrive at a place where folks've been able to hold out, and as you begin the next level several hours later shit hits the fan as the infected start to zerg in and to make matters worse the military just goes "fuck it" and starts napalming/TBing the area.

Sorenson on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Maybe you play as the infected in the actual campaign for some levels, and you spread the infection. That'd add a lot of replay for people who aren't crazy about versus mode.

I would almost like to see a story of sorts told this way, as infected you are chasing the survior npcs (they would most likely be scripted) kinda like
    in Opposing force, were shepard chases gordon, and sees him in the distance, doing what he did in half life

so play through it once as survivor, then see it from the infected view. Not sure how bots would handle for survivor though. I would say have the bot survivors scripted, or unreachable whenever you see them, but what would you fight? The army or something? Most likely wouldent be worth the effort. Now that I think about this, it sounds like VS mode.

Lagnar on
    edited June 2009
    On that note maybe the new gameplay mode is Infected campaign: basically Versus but with players locked into infected and the survivors locked into bots, so folks could just mess around as infected without having to worry about smart(er) opponents or get a hang of how the infected play before they dive into versus proper.

EDIT: And rather than using the core survivors the AI just randomizes up some survivors like it does with the Infected and assigns them a generic barebones voiceset based on the perameters rolled (black female, asian male, etc).

Sorenson on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It'll be neat if other NPCs react like the rebels from HL2. They aren't stupid, and they don't get in the way. They'll be better than the Survivor NPCs from L4D.

I hope they redo the "priority" list for NPCs at least. Smokered and huntered buddies should be top priority. THEN worry about the commons.

Hope the discount comes quick, and cheap. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So anyone know of any good weapon mods? I tried this pulse rifle and it looked cool, but it didn't actually act any different than the assault rifle/shotgun and I ended up switching back to make it feel right.

pulserifle.jpg

Darlan on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So anyone know of any good weapon mods? I tried this pulse rifle and it looked cool, but it didn't actually act any different than the assault rifle/shotgun and I ended up switching back to make it feel right.

pulserifle.jpg

Holy shit that's a good hunk of content right there. Better make a whole DLC release for it. Probably $5 worth I'd say. At least a bullet point on the box about it.

Brian on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    Holy shit that's a good hunk of content right there. Better make a whole DLC release for it. Probably $5 worth I'd say. At least a bullet point on the box about it.

QuitGettingMad.gif

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cool frog and dolphin always have the correct answer.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

pulserifle.jpg

If they were able to make it act any different from the weapons it replaces it'd be a cheat. Weapon mods are all just aesthetic.

LaCabra on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    SDK

So I'm partially dyslexic. Wanna fight about it? :lol:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

pulserifle.jpg

If they were able to make it act any different from the weapons it replaces it'd be a cheat. Weapon mods are all just aesthetic.

If it made the pulse rifle sound I'd be downloading that as we speak

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    There is an SKD that allows you to make maps compatiable with L4D but, to my knowledge it isn't the SKD they want to release for L4D

I could be wrong though.

You are. It's the only SDK we're getting for L4D (unless the release code later on) and it is now 100% possible to make custom campaigns, survival, and versus maps, just like Valve do! Only thing you can't do is integrate them into the actual menu/matchmaking of L4D, which will be supported when the new matchmaking comes out, which is in like a week apparently.

There's also a pretty huge amount of documentation for it.
    l4dsdk.jpg

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    There is an SKD that allows you to make maps compatiable with L4D but, to my knowledge it isn't the SKD they want to release for L4D

I could be wrong though.

You are. It's the only SDK we're getting for L4D.

There's also a pretty huge amount of documentation for it.
    l4dsdk.jpg

Fair enough. Last i heard they were supposed to be talking about the l4d sdk next week (this week?). I guess that was longer ago than I thought.

edit: my god, a little research shows I'm way behind... what happend to the last few months?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited June 2009
    edited post.

But yeah, the SDK is out, and next week is when they make it easy to play custom campaigns the way you play Valve's ones.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    edited post.

But yeah, the SDK is out, and next week is when they make it easy to play custom campaigns the way you play Valve's ones.

Ahh, that must be what got me confused on the subject.

Nappuccino on

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

[PIMG]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/7082/pulserifle.jpg[/PIMG]

If it made the pulse rifle sound I'd be downloading that as we speak
    Yes, this. And maybe alter the way the gunfire looks, but not its effectiveness.

Darlan on
    edited June 2009
    those things would all be possible without changing the gun's damage or effectiveness

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    So, I haven't seen any posts about any of the new maps that have been created with the SDK around here. I'm thinking of trying this one later on.
    Hey guys! Sorry for not posting here more often, because I really respect this community and its members (some of them specially).

I'm bringing you today a Survival map for Left 4 Dead. Not much to say, just dowload it, take a look, look for bugs and exploits and let me know all about them. Your opinion and concerns are really appreciated, so don't hesitate to call me things!

:twisted:

SYNOPSIS:

Trapped down in a campus basement, the Survivors have a single shot at calling in a rescue; to fire a flare up into the night sky. But in their desperate call for help, they realise they just happened to alert every last zombie in the area.

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyZ1f1E8I_s

GALLERY:

l4d_sv_locked0000.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0003.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0008.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0009.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0012.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0015.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0018.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0019.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0020.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0021.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0024.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0026.jpg
    l4d_sv_locked0028.jpg

DOWLOAD:

http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=796

PS: Sorry for coming back after such a long time just for spamming with my stuff, but... what the hell! This is the forum for it! Hehehe... I hope you will enjoy it and don't forget to leave feedback!

LaCabra on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would like to test that out myself.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Count me intrigued!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't get people. You join a game of L4D in the middle of a faux game show where you ride an elevator dodging miniguns, and rather than ask questions or even comment on what happened, you stick around for the next level. Then when 10 fellow survivors are spawned next to you, you ask for more Zoeys. Then you stick around for the constant supply of tanks and witches and smokers, and are killed after entering the helicopter, when you are transported to a magical level you've never seen before.

And the question worth asking is "are we infected after this?"

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks cool.

I find it annoying to keep a record of what files I'm installing into my left 4 dead folder. They really need to use archive files they have all the data in them instead of uncompressed directories.

I'm disappointed valve never release a proper sdk. What they are calling the sdk is just a level maker, a real sdk would let you modify the software. You know, like quake, halflife 1 and 2 had. It seems like a strange choice from a company that once went out of their way to foster the mod scene.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited June 2009
    I don't get people. You join a game of L4D in the middle of a faux game show where you ride an elevator dodging miniguns, and rather than ask questions or even comment on what happened, you stick around for the next level. Then when 10 fellow survivors are spawned next to you, you ask for more Zoeys. Then you stick around for the constant supply of tanks and witches and smokers, and are killed after entering the helicopter, when you are transported to a magical level you've never seen before.

And the question worth asking is "are we infected after this?"

My question would be, "can we do that again?"

edit: was this on Raoul's sever?

Nappuccino on

edited June 2009
    Looks cool.

I find it annoying to keep a record of what files I'm installing into my left 4 dead folder. They really need to use archive files they have all the data in them instead of uncompressed directories.

I'm disappointed valve never release a proper sdk. What they are calling the sdk is just a level maker, a real sdk would let you modify the software. You know, like quake, halflife 1 and 2 had. It seems like a strange choice from a company that once went out of their way to foster the mod scene.

I don't know what you mean. This is the same quality of SDK that Quake, HL1 and HL2 had, except they've not released the L4D source code yet. When they do you'll be able to make your own Source mods with things like the director in them.

What you get is Hammer (level editor), faceposer (so you can animate and choreograph your own scenes and dialogue pretty easily), particle system editor, commentary editor, in-game texture editor, the ability to make your own models and textures... how is this not a "real SDK"? It's what they've always done and more.
    It's certainly going out of their way to foster the mod scene, most companies never release an SDK.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    except they've not released the L4D source code yet.

I'm really starting to understand why I was confused on the matter of L4Ds SDK.

Nappuccino on

edited June 2009
    Aren't we talking about making additional content for Left 4 Dead, though? The source code isn't to do with that.

LaCabra on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uh, they won't release the source code for the game. There's usually a limited amount that modders get to mess around with, but not the whole thing.

BlindPsychic on
    edited June 2009
    I'm not talking about engine code, just the client and server .dll stuff.

LaCabra on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That survival map looks fun, except it doesn't work on dedicated servers. Crashes clients that don't have the map (even when they try to load an official map next) and until the sdk is out server downloads are disabled.

And if you do have the map and connect? You get to stare at a nice title screen for the map. That's it. No moving, no spawning, nothing. Fail.

Speaking of dedicated servers, how the hell does sv_search_key work? I set up a unique key and it times out searching for it, but i can use connect and get right on the server just fine. It shows up in the group list as well.

Edit: ok, search key works. When it is set to wang, it never gets selected (even though its lower ping than other wang servers). I set it to exoplasm and it works perfectly. PAers are free to use of course.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited June 2009
    The SDK is out, how do you think he made the map? Daaaaaaang.

The map works for me but then I haven't tried on a dedicated server.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    Looks cool, even if survival isn't my thing.

Since the discussion's switched to mapping and modding and general SDK thingies: is there anything like a gigantic Source Community Resource pack or something I can use for stuff? I just know I'm gonna' want to put something in but it ain't gonna' be available and I'd rather give folks something that looks nice instead of something I hobbled together just barely.

Sorenson on
    edited June 2009
    What kind of resources do you need?

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    Objects, textures, that sort of stuff. Especially some more sci-fi-y stuff like spaceshuttles and airlocks and the like, but even just ordinary things - some boats, choppers, a big-ass cargo tanker. Mind you I'll probably never get around to using 99% of it, but just having that stuff just in case would be great.

Sorenson on
    edited June 2009
    Really I'd suggest seeing what you can do with the stock content in L4D. Other than that, though, www.cgtextures.com is an awesome place to find sources to make textures with. No idea where you'd go for downloadable ready-made props though.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009

I thought only the SDK beta was out? They haven't enabled map downloads on dedicated servers yet, anyway.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    edited June 2009
    No big prop archive? Sucks, but ah well, thanks anyway.

Map downloads, you mean like what Killing Floor has? Good, although I'm sure nine out of every ten servers are going to have the slowest fucking DL speed imaginable. Hopefully they'll stick around afterwards, even if it means having to pick out the shitty ones from the directory.

Sorenson on
    edited June 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »

I thought only the SDK beta was out? They haven't enabled map downloads on dedicated servers yet, anyway.

The way Source SDK "betas" work is that they're around earlier and are almost exactly the same as the full thing when it comes out. Like maybe there's some really tiny bug somewhere that they fix. But yeah, they don't "support" the playing of custom maps yet, it's sort of annoying to do. Soon, though, they say.

Sorenson: what're you making that the props in L4D aren't cutting it for?

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Map downloads, you mean like what Killing Floor has? Good, although I'm sure nine out of every ten servers are going to have the slowest fucking DL speed imaginable. Hopefully they'll stick around afterwards, even if it means having to pick out the shitty ones from the directory.

There is a server CVAR or whatever that lets you specify a web server to download resources from if the player doesn't have them (such as maps and associated files). This, along with downloading directly from the server, is currently disabled on Left 4 Dead.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    edited June 2009
    Not making, but I've got ideas, if you will.
    Like I've had this idea for years for a zombie-oriented MMO where the idea is that Earth got fucked up pretty badly in the 21st century by a zombie uprising, so following a huge technoblitz with your usual smattering of leaps and bounds the various capable first-world nations start building colonies on the moon and Mars in the hopes of that if there's another zombie epidemic that they'll be spared; funny thing is that one of these Martian colonies winds up getting an epidemic, and the l4D twist is the survivors hopping through the various colony modules until they hit the spaceport, where they defend a fueling-up shuttle full of civilians and then blast the fuck out of there.

Sorenson on
    edited June 2009
    That sounds pretty awesome, you should make it. I guess SketchUp is supposed to be easy and you can make props with it now.

LaCabra on