As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics News II: Electric Boogaloo

CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Graphic Violence
Welcome to the second comic book news thread. This is the thread to talk about news on events in comics and about comics generally. This is the place for news on the business of comic books, such as news on creators deals and sales. In addition it's a place for discussing general announcements, new imprints, new ongoing and comic book minis, etc. It's also the place for news on comics that might not have their own regularly-discussed threads.

Comic Book News Sites

Comic Book Resources
Newsarama (Comics)
IGN Comics
Comics Bulletin
Robot 6 Blog - publisher of the daily (and awesome) Comics A.M. comic book news roundup on the industry and comic events.
Bleeding Cool-- the new blogsite written by Rich Johnston and friends.
Major Spoilers
The Beat
Word Balloon: The Comic Book Podcast
Hero Complex: LA Times comics, GN, sci-fi blog

Just to kick things off are a couple of things:

New Subscriptions to Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited receive a free Nick Fury action figure
MDCU_ExclusiveNickFury_02sm.jpg

Roundup of Marvel at E3

Unlettered previews of a bunch of books, like Daredevil #119, and pencilled previews of WoK #5 and some others.

Friday's Comics A.M.

Ooh. Bruce Campbell is going to be at Florida SuperCon. Oooh. So is Chris Claremont. Shame it's in Florida.

Crimsondude on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This site will not so much pull back the curtains of the comic book industry, as give you a series of upskirt shots. But as well as news, rumours and gossip, there will be reviews, previews, features, interviews, videos, columns and a place for comic book readers to call their own. Whatever your tastes from mini comics by Sean Appozardi to blockbuster events by Geoff Johns...
    Rich Johnston

DouglasDanger on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want that Nick Fury (with the HUGE GUN) figure, but I don't like the digital comics thing. Someone buy it and send it to me.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ahahaha that's the gun from SI
    oh man that's fantastic

Antimatter on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish there was a button to make him say, "Recoil."

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From the patronizing Wacker interview regarding ASM#600:
    Slott, Romita, Jr, Janson and Dean White on the lead story. Now 61 pages long! It’s spectacular the work these guys have done. Giant fights, big drama, just one of those great experiences you can only get in a super-hero comic.

Then Marcos Martin draws a not-quite-in-continuity-but-almost-if-you-squint story by a new guy named Stan Lee. It’s both funny, but Stan is able to work in some poignancy too, like his best stories always do. In a normal month, this story alone would be an event in and of itself.

Plus several of the Web-Heads are contributing a 5-page story. With art by (in no particular order) Colleen Doran, Max Fiumara, Mario Alberto, and Mitch Breitweister.

Then it’s a six page Avengers #51 follow-up by Bendis and Quesada. This is payback since we were all sooooo mad about his Spidey unmasking scene.

And here’s the real scoop...Loeb, Brubaker, Fraction and Mike McKone are also contributing to this comic that I can’t believe I’m actually working on.

All of this is wrapped up by your choice of covers. There’s our two main covers: Alex Ross’ beautifully red Spidey vs. Doc Ock and Johnny’s wraparound Spidey piece. Then you have Joe Q’s amazing wraparound cover.

Loeb's grasp at Marvel seems to be spreading. This should be a concern to everyone.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    Why is Steve Wacker a loser?

DouglasDanger on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Slott, Romita, Jr, Janson and Dean White on the lead story. Now 61 pages long! It’s spectacular the work these guys have done. Giant fights, big drama, just one of those great experiences you can only get in a super-hero comic.

Then Marcos Martin draws a not-quite-in-continuity-but-almost-if-you-squint story by a new guy named Stan Lee. It’s both funny, but Stan is able to work in some poignancy too, like his best stories always do. In a normal month, this story alone would be an event in and of itself.

Plus several of the Web-Heads are contributing a 5-page story. With art by (in no particular order) Colleen Doran, Max Fiumara, Mario Alberto, and Mitch Breitweister.

Then it’s a six page Avengers #51 follow-up by Bendis and Quesada. This is payback since we were all sooooo mad about his Spidey unmasking scene.

And here’s the real scoop...Loeb, Brubaker, Fraction and Mike McKone are also contributing to this comic that I can’t believe I’m actually working on.

All of this is wrapped up by your choice of covers. There’s our two main covers: Alex Ross’ beautifully red Spidey vs. Doc Ock and Johnny’s wraparound Spidey piece. Then you have Joe Q’s amazing wraparound cover.

Loeb's grasp at Marvel seems to be spreading. This should be a concern to everyone.

I don't understand, why do they think he's so awesome? Do they actually read his books and go "This is Awesome!", because I really fear for Marvel if that's whats leading them to this conclusion. I mean, Sales, yea, but that's not because of him, it's because of the title hes on or his artist. I seem to do this rant every few weeks that I see something new that Loeb will be fucking up/has already fucked up.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited June 2009

That wasn't supposed to be taken too serious, but he has been a bit brash and kind of a jerk since he jumped ship to Marvel.

Those Weekly Wacker interviews which aren't really weekly, he always tries to be "on", and has the attitude that all criticism is unfair, you're all just idiots who don't get it. It's actually the whole Spidey team in that regards, this kind of "fight fire with fire" attitude where they aren't going to give up any ground on how they have screwed up some of the stuff since OMD (excluding the big screw up of the devil deal) and are running on "truth through repetition." The problem is, the internet has been doing that shit for years, they're pros, and Marvel trying to fight that way is just making them look foolish. There is also the problem of answering every question with a sarcastic remark.

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That wasn't supposed to be taken too serious, but he has been a bit brash and kind of a jerk since he jumped ship to Marvel.

Those Weekly Wacker interviews which aren't really weekly, he always tries to be "on", and has the attitude that all criticism is unfair, you're all just idiots who don't get it. It's actually the whole Spidey team in that regards, this kind of "fight fire with fire" attitude where they aren't going to give up any ground on how they have screwed up some of the stuff since OMD (excluding the big screw up of the devil deal) and are running on "truth through repetition." The problem is, the internet has been doing that shit for years, they're pros, and Marvel trying to fight that way is just making them look foolish. There is also the problem of answering every question with a sarcastic remark.

Ugh, I hate that.

I almost wish he'd be a huge dick about it instead of trying to play it off as a joke. I'd much rather hear, "Why the fuck did you ask that, you retard? I'm not talking about that." instead of the lame stuff he pulls sometimes.

Or, you know, no comment. That would work too, Wack-job!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I need to go to Florida SuperCon one year.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Added.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Another awesome convention starting June 19 is HeroesCon in Charlotte, NC. The guest list is massive with both writers and artist showing up including:

Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, George Perez, Chris Clairmont, Mark Waid, Jeff Smith, and much more.

It's only $30 total for 3 days or $15 for a single day.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

I'd love to finally meet Claremont. Just as a jab in the eye to the current douche writer have him sign some old Ms. Marvels, too.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009

I'd love to finally meet Claremont. Just as a jab in the eye to the current douche writer have him sign some old Ms. Marvels, too.

Hey, Reed did fairly well with the book. Carol was what Phyla-Vel should've been. Well, at least until she "died".

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2009
    No, he didn't.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    He must have, since otherwise I wouldn't have subscribed to the book for two years

wwtMask on
    edited June 2009
    Hey. I read the book, too. But I had no illusions about it being that good. I just hoped it would get better, but it never did.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    While “Marvel Divas” was pitched as “Sex in the City” in the Marvel Universe, it was never Aguirre-Sacasa's intentions for that to be a substantive description of the book. “More and more Marvel series and stories are pitched in Hollywood terms, referencing popular movies or TV shows,” the writer explained.
    *Ahem*

Marvel can eat a dick. Anyone care to put that into a movie analogy?

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    Anything with George Clooney in it?

edit: also, decade variants are the new Obama, it seems And here too

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009

Brubaker Confirms Criminal Omnibus For November

Sneaking into Diamond Comics Distribution order sheets, but not the solicitations, themselves, the CRIMINAL OMNIBUS HC has been a strange anomaly for the last couple of weeks in certain Marvel Comics listings.

In response to enquiries my Little Bleeders, Brubaker confirmed that it was an early technical solicitation, and you can look forward to being able to order the title from the next Previews.

This will be the first creator owned Omnibus HC title from Marvel. And, of course, quite handy to defend yourself if an actual criminal breaks in. Just drop it on his head in self defence.
    ( Rich Johnston)

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2009
    When this comes out, none of you have any excuses for not having read read Criminal. Well, except for having poor taste in comics.

wwtMask on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

I don't understand, why do they think he's so awesome? Do they actually read his books and go "This is Awesome!", because I really fear for Marvel if that's whats leading them to this conclusion. I mean, Sales, yea, but that's not because of him, it's because of the title hes on or his artist. I seem to do this rant every few weeks that I see something new that Loeb will be fucking up/has already fucked up.

It's because Loeb's books sell. His Hulk book is almost always in the top 10 of sales when it's released, Ultimates 3 was in the top 10 of sales when it was released, Ultimatium has been in the top 10 of sales for each issue as well. Despite what people say in forums, Jeff Loeb sells comics. Marvel has been building their comics around the writers, not the artists, so the writers all get top billing. When they see that a Jeff Loeb penned (and I say that loosely) book sells, they think its Loeb who drove those sales.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Baw, I need to find someone to unload my Criminal trades on.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    AspectVoid wrote: »

It's because Loeb's books sell. His Hulk book is almost always in the top 10 of sales when it's released, Ultimates 3 was in the top 10 of sales when it was released, Ultimatium has been in the top 10 of sales for each issue as well. Despite what people say in forums, Jeff Loeb sells comics. Marvel has been building their comics around the writers, not the artists, so the writers all get top billing. When they see that a Jeff Loeb penned (and I say that loosely) book sells, they think its Loeb who drove those sales.

It's interesting to note that Loeb always gets high profile artists on his books. I'd like to see Loeb, Bendis, Millar, and the other big writers get paired with newbie artists just to see how well their stuff translates when the artist isn't a known quantity.

wwtMask on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AspectVoid wrote: »

It's interesting to note that Loeb always gets high profile artists on his books. I'd like to see Loeb, Bendis, Millar, and the other big writers get paired with newbie artists just to see how well their stuff translates when the artist isn't a known quantity.

Well, we'll find out shortly with Bendis. His artist for Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is David Lafuente. From what I know, he's only done a little bit of work here and there. He did the Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3, the Patsy Walker mini-series, and did some (not even all) art work on the X-Men Divided we Stand mini, and that's it. I'll be honest, until he got the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man gig, I had no clue who he was.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd suggest The Beat as well. It's an industry blog that tends to have some interesting stories, mainly has a focus on Indy comic stuff, but not solely.

akajaybay on
    edited June 2009
    Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009

That preview reads so well. Is it too much to wish that Marvel will let Jason Aaron take over Iron Fist whenever Swierczyski's done?

wwtMask on
    edited June 2009

That preview reads so well. Is it too much to wish that Marvel will let Jason Aaron take over Iron Fist whenever Swierczyski's done?

No. See. They need to give the Immortal Weapons their own book. Like GL and GLC. Because I really like Swierczynski and don't want to see him leave just to get Aaron on the book.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    I like the way you think. Between that and an Orson Randall pulp, I'd be a pretty happy camper.

wwtMask on
    edited June 2009
    That would be awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There have been rumblings about Marvel adopting DC's idea to put back-up features in books. If that comes to pass, I can definitely see Iron Fist getting relaunched as an Iron Fist/Immortal Weapons book.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    I like the way you think. Between that and an Orson Randall pulp, I'd be a pretty happy camper.

Is Fraction doing anything besides Uncanny now, because that would be swell. Also, from the stuff I've read or just seen his Uncanny is just... not good. It has its moments, but I think he'd be better returning to a concept that is at its heart not Marvel mutants and all of their shit.
    Dinosaur ridin’ Nazis.
    I'd prefer Nazi dinosaurs.

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jesus christ, why does Kevin Van Hook keep getting work?

Oracle: The Cure and Batman & Superman v.s. Vampires & Werewolves were both so, so awful. I really don't get it.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    Didio thought SvBvV&WW was really good, and defended it during his Q&A on Newsarama once.

But a Red Tornado mini? Was there response for that? Because I only knew Red Tornado due to Young Justice, which DC is trying to keep under wraps as if it never happened. And Meltzer's story was so ham fisted I wanted "Reddy" to just get his head knocked off by Grundy and let that be the end of it.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    There's more to Red Tornado's story? I thought McDuffie had wrapped that subplot up.

wwtMask on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bill Willingham talks about the new Fables Novel and offers up the first chapter for free

Do you already know what your next “Fables” special project is going to be?

Yeah. As a matter of fact, we’re going back to comics but not like “1001 Nights of Snowfall.” We’re going to do a very-long, epic, self-contained story centered on Bigby. And I think that’s as much as I want to say right now. But it’s going to be pretty spectacular graphic novel. It’s not a collection of previous stories. It’s it own thing.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    Cup of Joe is now on CBR.

....I guess he'd rather be a big fish in a small pond compared to having it on MySpace? It also kind of goes against what he was saying about needing to stop doing it because he was always needing a guest speaker and having lots to do.

Some preview art for the Uncanny/Dark Avengers one-shot, that's the main highlight.

And of course, some dick measuring between Marvel and DC, as well as Quesada telling the comics industry to get a sense of humor (says the person who gets pissy when people take the piss out of BND).

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I find it better to just ignore both Didio and Quesada and listen to guys like Bendis and Johns instead.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, Quesada sure does like poking fun at DC. I don't think Didio even mentions Marvel in his 20 answers thing.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind