As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBox 360 - Games On Demand (More Expensive than Retail?!)

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Crashtard wrote: »
    Rakai wrote: »
    I would love DD for my 360 games if Microsoft would of gotten the HDDs right from the start, or at all.
    I wont pay $Texas for a 120GB harddrive when a normal 120GB HDD costs like $20.

They cost $50ish new, however a 1TB can be had for $90 new. That's the problem.

Fixed that for you because that price is easy enough to get if you watch for it. This is the only reason I'm still using my 20GB drive. I'd LOVE to be able to just download the games onto my drive, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get robbed for a bigger drive. It's not THAT inconvenient to move 10 feet to put a different disc in.

The 360 is so loud that it's distracting for me to play off the discs. Thus, I always install. Thus, I need the bigger hard drive.

You have confused need with want. Hell, I have a 20 and managed to find enough room to install a game to it (Civ: Rev got installed for a while because of how often it seems to spin the disc drive up and down).

I'm always playing more than one game at a time. So installing more than one game at a time is a need, not a want. For instance I'm playing Fable II, Rock Band 2, Tales Of Vesperia, Street Fighter IV, and Fallout 3 right now.

Esh on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would really love to see MS adopt an attitude more like Sony's. Implement the standard and let me use whatever HDD/headset/whatever I want.

It so very odd it works this way. Sony has a lot of proprietary shit but the PS3 lets you use anything you want. Any keyboard, mouse, printer, hard drive, etc. Where as you know Microsoft's background but they have everything hardlocked on the 360. Makes no sense.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, how many games could you fit on a 120GB HDD anyway? Is there a case for a larger HDD size at a cheaper price?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do I have to narrate the whole thread, jclast? Why are you telling Esh that his preferences are somehow incorrect?

I'm not. I'm glad that he does not feel like he wasted his money. His defense is pretty bad though. It was worth $100 because nobody else sells one! Yeah, that magically makes a 120GB HDD worth $100. Right.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Two things that will suck about Xbox 360 DD.
    1)You will have to be connected to the internet to play the game
    2)Games on your HDD won't run any faster than playing the same game from a DVD

Only pro that I can see is that you probably won't have to worry about having your disc stolen/scratched beyond repair until Microsoft no longer supports redownloading the game you paid for (which is when the 3rd Xbox comes out).

Are the games cheap at least?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do I have to narrate the whole thread, jclast? Why are you telling Esh that his preferences are somehow incorrect?

I'm not. I'm glad that he does not feel like he wasted his money. His defense is pretty bad though. It was worth $100 because nobody else sells one! Yeah, that magically makes a 120GB HDD worth $100. Right.

Well, it was worth at least $100 to him, I presume!

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would love DD for my 360 games if Microsoft would of gotten the HDDs right from the start, or at all.

Fixed that for you because that price is easy enough to get if you watch for it. This is the only reason I'm still using my 20GB drive. I'd LOVE to be able to just download the games onto my drive, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get robbed for a bigger drive. It's not THAT inconvenient to move 10 feet to put a different disc in.

The 360 is so loud that it's distracting for me to play off the discs. Thus, I always install. Thus, I need the bigger hard drive.

You have confused need with want. Hell, I have a 20 and managed to find enough room to install a game to it (Civ: Rev got installed for a while because of how often it seems to spin the disc drive up and down).

I'm always playing more than one game at a time. So installing more than one game at a time is a need, not a want. For instance I'm playing Fable II, Rock Band 2, Tales Of Vesperia, Street Fighter IV, and Fallout 3 right now.

Again. Need and want are different things. You have to put the disc in anyhow, and if you can hear the 360 over Rock Band 2 then you're doing it wrong.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

And it is not worth $100 to me. Welcome to the crux of the argument.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was excited when I first heard the news but soon realized that microsoft will definitely find a way to cock this up. The only way I can see myself giving a shit about this is if:

1. New games are actually released on it at the same time they go on sale in retail stores.
    2. The prices are lower (doesn't have to be by a lot) than games on disc.
    3. Once you purchase a game you can delete and re-download it as many times as you want. I have a smaller HD so I'd do a lot of deleting/reinstalling whenever I wanted to play different games.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I was excited when I first heard the news but soon realized that microsoft will definitely find a way to cock this up. The only way I can see myself giving a shit about this is if:

1. New games are actually released on it at the same time they go on sale in retail stores.
    3. Once you purchase a game you can delete and re-download it as many times as you want. I have a smaller HD so I'd do a lot of deleting/reinstalling whenever I wanted to play different games.

3 is pretty much guaranteed. Every other XBLM purchase works that way.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

So you can just continue not buying it at $100 until it becomes cheaper, or perhaps buy a used HDD!

As long as enough people feel that it's worth $100 it's staying that way.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Again. Need and want are different things. You have to put the disc in anyhow, and if you can hear the 360 over Rock Band 2 then you're doing it wrong.

The disc is in but it doesn't spin. Thus, it's silent. I'm not even sure why you're mentioning that. And Rock Band is situational. When I'm playing an immersing RPG I don't want to hear WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR.

You just aren't getting this. I NEED to have the games installed on the HD because I can't stand playing them off the DVD. Otherwise, I just won't play.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'd be surprised if you can still download compatible Xbox 360 games on the 3rd xbox's xbox live. I haven't seen any dlc available for any games that are backwards compatible on the 360. Isn't the Xbox 360 nearing the end of it's life span?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word need means.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

I'd be surprised if you can still download compatible Xbox 360 games on the 3rd xbox's xbox live. I haven't seen any dlc available for any games that are backwards compatible on the 360. Isn't the Xbox 360 nearing the end of it's life span?

They are tied to gamertag. You can redownload them. Also, Halo 2 is back-compat and saw new maps after the 360 came out. The only different was that you could not use points to buy them because the Xbox 1's Live infrastucture has no idea what funbux are.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The point is, why is he defending anything at all? Why do you have a bee in your bonnet that someone bought something at a higher price point than you'd be willing to? I'm sure all the raw components in a BMW cost more or less the same than a car tens of thousands of dollars cheaper. Why aren't you waving your fist at luxury car dealerships all day? Christ.
    jclast wrote:

That's not an argument, it's a statement of preference, one that no one else has any problem with. But being thrifty isn't a license to be a gigantic cock.
    jclast wrote:

You are arguing about video game console accessories. You have a fundamental lack of perspective if you think this has anything to do with need.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The point is, why is he defending anything at all? Why do you have a bee in your bonnet that someone bought something at a higher price point than you'd be willing to? I'm sure all the raw componenets in a BMW cost more or less the same than a car tens of thousands of dollars cheaper. Why aren't you waving your fist at luxury car dealerships all day? Christ.
    jclast wrote:

That's not an argument, it's a statement of preference, one that no one else has any problem with. But being thrifty isn't a license to be a gigantic cock.
    jclast wrote:

You are arguing about video game console accessories. You have a fundamental lack of perspective if you think this has anything to do with need.
    1) I expressed why I thought MS's attempt at DD would fail. Esh then jumped on me.
    2) Most arguments are just statements of preference. This is the Internet. It's kinda how things work here.
    3) I'm not the one who kept saying that I needed accessories. I just think it's funny that he kept using the word incorrectly.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

For myself to play games on a console system, it NEEDS to be quietly running. Otherwise I WON'T play it. What part of this aren't you getting? I don't NEED to play video games, but the situation in which I play them does NEED to have certain qualifiers. Jesus Christ already...get it through your head.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So how did you play them before the 120GB HDD and install option? Did you just sit there alternately having fun and bitching about the whir?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

They are tied to gamertag. You can redownload them. Also, Halo 2 is back-compat and saw new maps after the 360 came out. The only different was that you could not use points to buy them because the Xbox 1's Live infrastucture has no idea what funbux are.

But Halo 2 DLC isn't available on the XBox Live marketplace. Do you have to play on the original Xbox in order to access Halo 2's DLC?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

But Halo 2 DLC isn't available on the XBox Live marketplace. Do you have to play on the original Xbox in order to access Halo 2's DLC?
    No, you just buy it through the game menu.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So how did you play them before the 120GB HDD and install option? Did you just sit there alternately having fun and bitching about the whir?

When you get nice things, it can sometimes be rather hard to go to the way things were before said nice thing.

Slicer on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    I am with Esh, I bought the 120 gb hard drive despite how terrible the price was. I have so much DLC and I love being able to install games. I think the purchase was worth it and I don't regret it.

I had the 20gb HD since I got my first 360 back in September 2006. This year, even with deleting everything I don't use, I didn't even have a GB left. I like to take advantage of installing the games. I have 4-5 games installed right now, all of my XBLA games, three episodes of South Park, some music for NHL 09, and game saves. I still have plenty of room now to do whatever I want with no worry of space management.

Is the price a complete rape of the wallet? 100% yes. I knew that when I bought it, but like it was already mentioned, there is no other choice.

I also have the ridiculously overpriced wifi adapter. Why the fuck should I run a wire all through the house when I have the convenience of going wireless?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I didn't. I bought an Elite when they first came out but barely touched it due to the noise. Got rid of it. Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a new Jasper Arcade and slapped a 120gig onto it. :P

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, if nothing else you're consistent in your peculiarity.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Wi-Fi adapter was an easy sell for me - the inconvenience of running 100' of cable through my house plus the price of the cable itself was far more than one hundred of my dollars. Click, plug, it works. Don't get me wrong, I realize I was on the receiving end of a Micro-shafting, but it's the same unpleasant probing I get when I buy Apple monitor adapters for my MacBook Pro or yet another plug-it-into-the-bottom-of-the-fucking-Wiimote thing from Nintendo.

The red ring of death was actually an upgrade path for me. I bought an elite while Ol' Yeller was out for service. I'd still like the option to expand my drive space via USB. To Microsoft's credit they have been making consumer friendly moves since the RR incident (price on the WiFi adapter has dropped $30 in Canada, the Pro Accessory pack is a good value, etc) so this might be on the horizon.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I tried the wireless adapter and the speed was terrible. I couldn't play Halo3, CoD4 or CoD WaW, simply because lag was unbearable. My PS3 at least worked well enough that I could play games online without worrying about lag from the same location in my house. That wifi adapter is a piece of shit. I had a linksys wifi adapter that I bought for my Xbox that gave me decent speeds but it won't even work on the 360 because Microsoft controls what peripherals can connect to the Xbox. It's enough to make me want to flash custom firmware to the 360, but then I'd lose access to everything I purchased on the marketplace. I really fucking hate microsoft.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    1) I expressed why I thought MS's attempt at DD would fail. Esh then jumped on me.
    2) Most arguments are just statements of preference. This is the Internet. It's kinda how things work here.
    3) I'm not the one who kept saying that I needed accessories. I just think it's funny that he kept using the word incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure arguments tend to pirouette around some facts, as a minimum standard. Telling someone they're wrong for spending their money in a particular way is what meddling parents are for. Telling someone they're actively harming your nebulous cause and supporting a fixed pricing racket is a whole 'nother level of internet ridonkulous.

Also, my point was that want v need doesn't enter this equation, so complaining about incorrect use misses the point entirely. It's Want versus Less Want, and you simply Less Want something than another person. It's just as stupid to claim 'need' for a HDD, as it is to complain about someone 'wanting it a lot'.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

Keep in mind that's only speculation, but everything else downloaded from the XBox Live Marketplace is set up that way.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wait, what? I can play my arcade games without being connected to Live.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

That'd be another way it differs from normal DD (XBLA, retail DLC). You only need to be connected to Live if you are using a different console than the one you bought it on (and that only applies if you did not transfer the license to the current one).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

Keep in mind that's only speculation, but everything else downloaded from the XBox Live Marketplace is set up that way.

No it is not.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

only Community games are like that for me, not any other type of DLC

MrDelish on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I tried the wireless adapter and the speed was terrible. I couldn't play Halo3, CoD4 or CoD WaW, simply because lag was unbearable. My PS3 at least worked well enough that I could play games online without worrying about lag from the same location in my house. That wifi adapter is a piece of shit. I had a linksys wifi adapter that I bought for my Xbox that gave me decent speeds but it won't even work on the 360 because Microsoft controls what peripherals can connect to the Xbox. It's enough to make me want to flash custom firmware to the 360, but then I'd lose access to everything I purchased on the marketplace. I really fucking hate microsoft.

I think it is just your connection. I have a Linksys router and the wifi adapter and I never have problems.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

That'd be another way it differs from normal DD (XBLA, retail DLC). You only need to be connected to Live if you are using a different console than the one you bought it on (and that only applies if you did not transfer the license to the current one).

Yeah I can't use any of my DLC unless I'm connected to Live. I'm on my second 360, but even content that I purchased on this console can only be played when connected to Live. Am I doing it wrong?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

Yeah I can't use any of my DLC unless I'm connected to Live. I'm on my second 360, but even content that I purchased on this console can only be played when connected to Live. Am I doing it wrong?
    Yes. I would call MS if even content bought on that console is unplayable when not connected to Live.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

I think it is just your connection. I have a Linksys router and the wifi adapter and I never have problems.

At the time I had a 16mbps cable connection and a linksys wireless router and even though the 360 was ~25 ft away from the router and no one was downloading anything on the network Xbox live games lagged too much for me to play them. My PS3 has no issues and it's set up farther away and is on a different floor.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

Yes. I would call MS if even content bought on that console is unplayable when not connected to Live.

I see. I had assumed that it was something implemented when they switched over to the new dashboard as a form of DRM.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wow fuck that.

I see. I had assumed that it was something implemented when they switched over to the new dashboard as a form of DRM.

Nope.

Basically both of your points don't make any sense with what has happened in the past on the 360. Games play offline, and some games load significantly faster when installed onto the HD.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.