As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My personal painting gallery, drop your comment plz

airvinsanityairvinsanity __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hi there, I'm a novice designer and currently work for a gaming company. Here are some paintings by myself. Plz speak your mind about how it is and how to improve it, any suggestion will be appreciated. And also welcome to my personal gallery, you guys are always welcome. There are many areworks I wanna share with but something is really too big to post here.

s26_a6l84025cVs.jpg

s27_aJOg3SX63CS.jpg

6_a4Es5q22C45.jpg

airvinsanity on

• Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This smells like insincerity to me

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    misosoup wrote: »
    This smells like quite amazing art to me, even though there is a bit of sitewhoring involved

Mayday on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well, as proof, they could post some small higher-resolution"sections" of the above pictures...right?

They're obviously amazing paintings, but something tells me that Jia Ruan didn't suddenly move from China to airvinsanity's Australia.

Convincing post history, though.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    YellowHerbYellowHerb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno if it's your work, but the 2nd green horseback picture is bugging me because the knight is smack dab in the middle. Makes me wanna headbutt it.

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Well, as proof, they could post some small higher-resolution"sections" of the above pictures...right?

They're obviously amazing paintings, but something tells me that Jia Ruan didn't suddenly move from China to airvinsanity's Australia.

Convincing post history, though.

lawl, does it help you make sense
    nope, im from east Asia and currently as an oversea student in Aussie.

apologize for my bad englsih, but Im working hard on improvement

u can find this post from http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=985242&posted=1#post985242

I dont want to argue about where am I come from, do you want something proof, just contact me via the mailbox in my gallery if you still doubt "Where am I come from" >_<

airvinsanity on
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Your compositions are rather dull. It doesn't matter if you can render things to such a degree as you do if you can't make an interesting page.

iceberg on
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i think you are better off on cgtalk man this is some big fish sort of stuff

Axim on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I read that post in your post history.

I'm not in doubt of where you came from/where you are, it's just that the Artist's Corner typically doesn't get posters at this level of artistic skill. I was more in doubt that "airvinsanity = Jia Ruan", for that reason. It's more common to see somebody impersonating a super-skilled artist here, than it is to actually have that super-skilled artist make a genuine post. I apologize if this is actually you!

That being said, I agree with iceberg in that the compositions could be improved a little. I like the composition on the first, but the 2nd image not-so-much. The 3rd image gives me the illusion that it was cropped...mostly due to the figure being dead-center in the piece.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't see the composition complaints. Is having something in the center a cardinal sin I missed somewhere? Like mentioned, your technical ability is amazing. Out of the three you posted your third drawing is the weakest, it isn't a weak picture by any means though.

If you are who you say you are [like mentioned its hard to believe] then you are talented. I can't see what the others are seeing in the composition, I think they all look fine.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    good rendering skills /= good compositional skills

I'm not saying they're all horrible; I'm saying they could use some work. The first image, I never even saw the solitary man standing on the right until the third viewing of it. If he widened the composition to the right it would perhaps create a better dynamic.

iceberg on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh, I think the composititions handle themselves. Its more like this for me

"BAM"- that is some killer lighting
    "SHAZZAM"- Them is some fine renders
    "WOWZA"- Look at that detail

Just because the compositions dont smack us as brilliant, doesnt mean they arent working. I think we are all scraping for some kind of crit to give this guy, when really he is out of our league.

To the OP-

Hit of the boards at conceptart.org. They might be a little more to your level.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    YellowHerbYellowHerb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just because the compositions dont smack us as brilliant, doesnt mean they arent working. I think we are all scraping for some kind of crit to give this guy, when really he is out of our league.

I'm pretty sure we weren't scraping for anything, the composition was just something that was glaring at us. Besides, if what you imply is true, that our opinions aren't valuable to him because he is out of our league (he actually is) then he wouldn't be coming to the Artist Corner in the first place. In fact, none of us should have clicked his thread.

But I do have actual comments to your pieces Air,

The 1st 'red' piece has an excellent composition. My eye moved from the dominant subject, thanks to a fair bit of repetition toward what I can assume is the focus of the painting (the man). I liked how you made the focus of the painting also small, making the building appropriately threatening. The 2nd piece has excellent rythm and unity, but It'd be good if at least the shield wasn't in the center. The 3rd made me feel cold.

If you noticed, there were hardly any actual critiques. Meaning that Greatnation was correct, you are out of our league. Why the heck are you here? (of course I'm just kidding.)

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    YellowHerb wrote: »
    Besides, if what you imply is true, that our opinions aren't valuable to him because he is out of our league (he actually is) then he wouldn't be coming to the Artist Corner in the first place. In fact, none of us should have clicked his thread.

Alright, that doesnt make any sense at all. Im not trying to say that our opinions are of no use, there just arent really hitting anything. Im not trying to pick on anything, but imagine yourself at this level, and then imagine how you might respond to "Your compositions are rather dull" with no effort made to explain exactly why they are dull, or even a direction to fix them.

How would him being out of our league mean that he wouldnt come to the AC in the first place? Actually, dont answer that question. Suppose instead for a minute that this guy had a webpage featuring his work that he wanted to make popular. Then think about that question.

I dont even know what you mean by saying none of us should have clicked this thread.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    airvinsanity, like many others have already said, you've pretty much overpowered every artist here at the AC. Unless you're looking for sheer ass-pattery (and lord knows you deserve it when you can dish out this kind of quality), we're not going to be of much use to you.

Not tryin' to scare you away or nothin, just layin' out the facts; there's pretty much nothing we can help you with. If anything, you should be helping us.

You're more than welcome to hang around the good old AC, but you'd pretty much be worshiped here, and I think it would be more healthy for your artistic skills if you were surrounded by other astronomically-talented artist who would constantly keep raising the standard, thus constantly pushing yourself to become an even better artist.

What i'm trying to say is that we would be slowing you down, and while I know it would be extremely kick-ass if you stuck around, the facts are that the hero worship would hinder your progress, and this is something that I would absolutely hate to see.

Pick up your sticks and join the rest of the celestial talent in the Land of the Art Gods (Conceptart.org for example), there's really nothing for you here.

Godfather on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Historically, people with this kind of skill don't stick around anyways.

bombardier on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I find it odd that the 2 ends of the artisitc spectrum are frowned upon here.

If you have MS paint web comic abominations > Get the fuck out of the AC
    If you have well developed concept art > Get the fuck out the AC

It is true composition-wise, some of these could be stronger. It's true it is all very nice. It is true none of us are going to be able to offer any world shattering crits. It is also true that I wouldn't say that this stuff is out of anybody's league here.

Obviously threads such as these don't stick around because the original posters don't stick around the community long. Just enjoy gawking at what was posted and move on.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

You say that like it's a bad thing, when in retrospect both situations are quite healthy.

The PA:AC is sort of a stepping stone in progress; it's true that PA is better than a good margin of those other half-assed art forums out there, but there's also sites that beat it out (sometimes extremely). I treat this hearty "fuck you" (as you so put it) like somewhat of a Graduation party gift, kind of like the final words your parents tell you before you move out of their house and into the real world. You can always come back, but it will never be the same.

I'm pretty sure it's everyone's goal here to get the same kind of treatment we're giving the OP, shown the door, and pointed in the direction of where the big boys play.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You have any of those in wallpaper form? I'd like em as a background if possible.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    well, you're good to go. No need to post here... you know this stuff is good. It's almost like you're showing off or something. I don't mind, cause I love looking at awesome artwork.

So you're in the gaming industry I see. How's that venture going for you?
    He'll never post here again after a week

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    well, you're good to go. No need to post here... you know this stuff is good. It's almost like you're showing off or something. I don't mind, cause I love looking at awesome artwork.

So you're in the gaming industry I see. How's that venture going for you?
    He'll never post here again after a week

I think posting here is fine. It'd be nice to see him crit other people's work, or just update us with what he's doing.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    anyway thank you guys comments here, really appreciate your words. atm Im working hard on some in-game stuff, about a new concept MMORPG but sry couldnt tell more.

In the near future I wish I could have a chance to get back here and post sth different for PA, ofc not in my gallery :P.

GL & HF

airvinsanity on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    so much for wallpaper?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Godfather wrote: »

You say that like it's a bad thing, when in retrospect both situations are quite healthy.

The PA:AC is sort of a stepping stone in progress; it's true that PA is better than a good margin of those other half-assed art forums out there, but there's also sites that beat it out (sometimes extremely). I treat this hearty "fuck you" (as you so put it) like somewhat of a Graduation party gift, kind of like the final words your parents tell you before you move out of their house and into the real world. You can always come back, but it will never be the same.

I'm pretty sure it's everyone's goal here to get the same kind of treatment we're giving the OP, shown the door, and pointed in the direction of where the big boys play.

Forgive me for saying, but that's a load of shit.

He came here for opinions. If he thinks he's above us, he can fuck off somewhere else. And personally, if he really does think he's above anyone, he can fuck off then.

He's not perfect. No one is. I feel his art needs work. He could do so much more with it than what he's doing now.

But it doesn't really matter as he won't be coming back now.

iceberg on