As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I actually apologized to Mark Brooks for getting him to sign my first trade of cable and deadpool because liefield art was on the front

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is anyone else really tired of cover art not resembling interior art at all? Marvel books are getting ridiculous with this.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not really. It makes sense for them to try and put out the most attractive and interesting cover they can in an attempt to attract non-readers to check it out.

Fans are already going to buy it regardless of the artist, or they will flip through it at the store and decide for themselves.

Some of my favourite covers have been nothing like the interior art, like the Kaare Incredible Hulk covers, Fables, Alias or Sandman.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Jim Shooter LoSH issues recently had the best compromise.

The covers were actually parts to the interior story, but done in a way to work as a cover. For instance, there was a girl being blown out of a car and falling to her death, but Ultra Boy saves her. The clever thing was you don't see him save her, he just does on the next panel, with the cover being the art where the rescue happened.

It was pretty cool.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is anyone else really tired of cover art not resembling interior art at all? Marvel books are getting ridiculous with this.
    Kind of. I wish that Marko Djurdjevic would get more interior work to go with his awesome covers.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Have we ever seen a Lantern ring being destroyed?

Parralax destroyed Jack Chance's in SCW, and the Orange Lanterns appear to eat the rings of people they kill.

Well, they consume them. We don't know for sure whether that destroys them.

Frankly, it makes total sense for them to be destructible, since they're just machines.

They're definitely destructible, or they use to be.

When Hal destroyed the GL's and Guardians absorbing the battery he saw his old ring and crushed it beneath his boot, a lone Guardian then took the remains, fashioned a new ring out of it and gave it to Kyle.

That said these days with all the retcons that get tossed around unapologetically we'll probably be told yes they can't be destroyed.

Cade on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    Not really. It makes sense for them to try and put out the most attractive and interesting cover they can in an attempt to attract non-readers to check it out.

131_wolverine__revolver_1.jpg

Furu on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wha... hahahahahaha

That's so bad it's awful

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    AHRGH MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good lord man, a bit of a warning please!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haha, that shit is hilarious. That face. That mask XD

kfrooster on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man. who the fuck is that?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The sad thing is, the interior pages by the same dude are about a thousand times better. It looks like he just got lazy when it came time to do the cover.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    everytime I see that cover the first thing I think is that I need a poster of it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    those interiors aren't that bad. I think the artist'd work better in a "monsters-only" environment though.

...and he apparently can't bother himself with drawing anything other than the figures.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EWom wrote: »
    So I used to read comics, back when I was about 9-13. I'm now 26, and wanting to get back into, most probably because of the recent comic book movies that haven't totally sucked. (Hulk, Iron Man, Batmans, Spider Mans, Xmens etc)

Back in the day my favorite three characters bar none were, Venom, Hulk, and Nightcrawler.

I'm sure Nightcrawlers pretty much irrelevent at this point.

I've been out of comics a few months now, and I'm sure he's pretty irrelevant at the moment. However, he did get a pretty good 12 issue series back when everyone involved in an X-title was getting one available in two trades.

Nightcrawler: The Devil Inside collects 1-6
    Nightcrawler: The Winding Way collects 7-12

Both are written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and penciled by Darick Robertson.

It's pretty good and stays pretty well within the continuity you may remember from way back when (the Seftons are mentioned, the whole priest thing is given a back seat).

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got something to look forward to in the next two years.

im2.jpg

spidey4.jpg

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're really looking forward to
    Spidey 4
    ? Why?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cuz I liked the first three?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Me too

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Spidey 4
    ? Why?

I'm hoping 3's poor reception will encourage the studio to back off and quit cramming villians down Rami's throat.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think they should wait a few years like they did with Batman before they launch a new Spider-Man movie. I also dislike Tobi Maguire and no longer want to see him as Peter Parker.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Three had an excellent reception from the studio's point of view, because it made lots of money. This is not the basis from which to make them rethink their decision making process.

And kfrooster, 3 was 2007 and 4 will be 2011... that's already a few years wait.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've decided to broaden my comic reading a bit by collecting at least one ongoing story from all the major comic companies including their imprints in tpb format. Here's the list, not counting 616 Marvel or their X line:

DC: Secret Six, Vertigo: Scalped, MAX: Punisher MAX, Icon: Powers and Criminal, Dark Horse: The Goon, and last but not least, Image: Invincible

Am I missing out on any other good stuff, like maybe from a smaller publisher?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dynamite is doing a Man with No Name relaunch with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly coming out in July, and it's Chuck Dixon writing it. That seems worthwhile if you liked the old movies.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i enjoyed the shit out of the movies. this is a comic adaptation? i'm skeptical.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

im2.jpg[IMG][/img]spidey4.jpg[IMG][/img]

Blargh

In retrospect, I think all three of the Spider-Man movies are pretty bad. 2 was definitely the best, though. Now that The Dark Knight has legitimized the comic book film, at least to a far greater extent than ever before, they should consider a reboot, I think.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, and Tobey and Dunst want out anyway. The only part I really liked about any of the movies was the web-swinging. I was giddy with nerd glee at several points in the second movie. The first and second movies were bad enough that I never watched the third.

Is it worth tracking Shaolin Cowboy down? Whatever happened to that anyway?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think it was ever finished. I'd really like to read it, but I also don;t think it's had a trade.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »

Blargh

In retrospect, I think all three of the Spider-Man movies are pretty bad. 2 was definitely the best, though. Now that The Dark Knight has legitimized the comic book film, at least to a far greater extent than ever before, they should consider a reboot, I think.

What exactly do you mean by legitimized? Made money? TDK has more plot holes and ridiculous leaps of logic than a Wayan Brothers film. And that doesn't mean its a bad movie or that you're dumb for liking it or anything either. It's just far from some kind of high art or anything. It's very much just a standard comic book popcorn film.

KVW on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KVW wrote: »

Blargh

What exactly do you mean by legitimized? Made money? TDK has more plot holes and ridiculous leaps of logic than a Wayan Brothers film. And that doesn't mean its a bad movie or that you're dumb for liking it or anything either. It's just far from some kind of high art or anything. It's very much just a standard comic book popcorn film.

I don't think it was a standard popcorn film, as interest in the film transcended the usual audience and managed to capture the entire damn country. People who never considered watching a superhero film before raved about Dark Knight despite prejudices against the genre.

I don't think you can say that Dark Knight changed how people look at comic book films in general, though. People still see them as an even more puerile subset of the action/adventure film, and unless every franchise steps its game up from now on, that isn't going to change.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wiki says seven issues of Shaolin Cowboy have been published.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    KVW wrote: »

Blargh

Uh-huh.

Plot holes like? Its nothing like a standard comic book popcorn film, its so much better than that. Though I'm sure if it had two gay cowboys eating pudding you'd think it was the very embodiment of all that is art.
    Sentry wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Spidey 4
    ? Why?

I'm hoping 3's poor reception will encourage the studio to back off and quit cramming villians down Rami's throat.

Most of what was wrong with 3 exists in the other 2. For instance, I don't think the studios forced a finale localised to a single building area surrounded by a large crowd of people who stand there gawking as a giant man of sand lashes out.

Raimi isn't some genius director/writer and he isn't innocent of any of the fuck ups of the Spider-Man films.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How much does the average comic shop pull in every week, and how much do they get on Wednesday alone?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So uhhh... theres no San Diego Comic-con 09 thread and uhh... My wife and I are new to this whole Con thing as we're Alaskans. What is proper Etiquette if I wanted to get something signed? That does happen right? Like if I brought a couple issues or GN's? I don't want to be crazy rabid fan asking them where they sleep at night, but I'd like to thank people for their work and get an autograph. These people have booths that you visit, correct?

I would hate to have my interpretation of Comic-con be media satire, then you get there with a backpack full of stuff and no one signs things.

DVD's too? (Curse you Doc Hammer and Jackson Public for openly stating they don't sign stuff at cons!)

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    How much does the average comic shop pull in every week, and how much do they get on Wednesday alone?

My shop has about 250 pull lists (just for that location), and just going by what I see when I pick up my stuff and on days when UPS doesn't deliver early in the morning, they have about 10 - 12x12x8 boxes minimum, and I don't think that counts the toys and statues and stuff, which are often one box alone.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    On average, how much do you guys spend weekly on single issues?

and each month on trades/marketing/toys/paraphernalia?

Also, if you're cool admitting it, what percentage of your monthly disposable income (after rent/bills/insurance/etc.) is that?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'd say $20/week on comics give or take. This week is heavy, for instance, due to the Bat-titles being basically relaunched and just seeing if anything is worthwhile.

I've started to pull back on trades simply because I've "caught up" to certain areas (like the whole Bat-verse since 2000), but one a month seems about right.

Disposable income % per month? Probably 15%, give or take. I don't really play games anymore unless it's something worthwhile, and everything else goes to playing tennis or misc. stuff through the month (movies, general hanging out stuff, dinners with friends/girlfriend etc).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i only collect Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps in monthlies, so most months it is just the two issues which is roughly $6.something a month. That's most months, obviously it was a bit higher during Final Crisis and will be a lot higher in July with Blackest Night. I also indulge in two or three trades a month and a guesstimate average price would be $17 per trade.

so at $58 per month that is (very) roughly about 9% of my monthly disposable income.

Rans on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I probably spend about 80-100 on singles per month, depending on how many mini-series I'm reading, which is something like 5% of my monthly income.

Comics are one of the few indulgences I grant myself, so I don't mind plunking down a little bit of cash for them.

Munch on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I usually buy 4 or so gns per month from amazon, so maybe $60 per month. Not nearly as much as before.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3