As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Set in Grease Stains on Dress Shirts

Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have some dress shirts that have set in grease stains. basically I think that its butter which I did not see when washing and did not notice until the clothes were dry already (as I was going to put the shirt on).

I really don't feel like buying new shirts but I will if the only way is to take them to the drycleaners. they aren't that expensive.

So far I have tried Oxyclean spray on stain fighter and now some Shout 'formulated for set in stains'.

neither worked.

is there a better way or should I just get out my wallet?

Dunadan019 on

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I have some dress shirts that have set in grease stains. basically I think that its butter which I did not see when washing and did not notice until the clothes were dry already (as I was going to put the shirt on).

I really don't feel like buying new shirts but I will if the only way is to take them to the drycleaners. they aren't that expensive.

So far I have tried Oxyclean spray on stain fighter and now some Shout 'formulated for set in stains'.

neither worked.

is there a better way or should I just get out my wallet?

There is a few cleaning products used in the oil and gas industry for removing oil stains, trying to remember names. Most over the counter stuff I have used just doesnt cut it. I have heard good things about GoJo hand cleaner, you can apply that directly to clothing and wash it out.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anything that would get it out at this poing would probably do weird things to the fabric. Grease is pretty impossible to get out once something has been washed and dried. I had a grease stain on a dress shirt and tried a number of stain products--none of them worked.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rub on bar soap.
    Wash as normal.
    It will probably work.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dropped buttered lobster on my tshirt once. What you want to do is get soap (I used liquid) and an old tooth brush and just glob it on and brush at the stains. Don't be afraid of putting too much on.

And then just throw it in the wash. It should come out clean. I think it's got something to do with the soap breaking down the grease like it does with washing dishes or grease on your hands.

edit: Just wanted to add that I don't think it's ever too late. I washed the tshirt twice before googling solutions. My dad was ready to just throw the shirt away too.

double edit: Although OP does say it's a dress shirt. Maybe it's a different case.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've used goof-off on transmission oil on a t-shirt once, didn't wreck the fabric or do anything to the dye. It was a very dark shirt, and it came out looking like nothing at all happened. I just soaked the affected area with goof off, let it sit for a minute or so and then tossed it in the washer. Given the stain's set, maybe use a toothbrush on it.

It wasn't a dress shirt, so I'd use this as a last resort before you trash it.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png