As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penumbra: "Regardless, you need a hand. I do not. Bring me a saw." No cowards or 56k!

• MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, I got super-nauseous playing this. I've never been made sick by a FPS before...

Also
    Fuck that dog just smashing through my barricade. I wanted to explore the area in peace.

Exactly! Also, after that....
    I destroyed the barrels which I assume you are supposed to pull over and jump over the electric fence with so I gave up for a bit.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arg. I decided to give this game a try, and everytime I try to start it it tells me I need to update my video card drivers, but when I go to the site it says I'm up to date. It might be Windows 7 Beta hijinks, I don't know, but does Steam do...refunds?

I really, really don't feel like wasting away hours to get a game going right now.

Darlan on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, I got super-nauseous playing this. I've never been made sick by a FPS before...

Also
    Fuck that dog just smashing through my barricade. I wanted to explore the area in peace.
    Tip re: barricades and canines:
    The dog needs to be able to touch the door to smash through it. If you block the outside with barrels, it won't be able to touch the door. This will keep you safe... until the game decides to warp the dog in once you're far enough into the hall. But, the delay gives you time to make a left, grab the barrel of TNT and head to the back hallways, where the dog won't go.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009

Exactly! Also, after that....
    I destroyed the barrels which I assume you are supposed to pull over and jump over the electric fence with so I gave up for a bit.
    Planks work too.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How's this game compare to Dark Corners of the Earth? I was hella digging on that game until they started giving you guns. At which time I became bored very fast and lost interest.

Also, the back of the complete edition of the game had...interesting summaries for each entry in the series. Basically in order of the games:
    1.)Your father has sent you a letter. Madness ensues!
    2.)You continue to seek out the secret behind your fathers letter. PS: More madness!
    3.)Man, this is some crazy shit! Also you're still trying to solve the mystery behind your father's madness. PPS: More letter!

Basically it makes it sound like you have spent three games trying to solve the very same initial mystery. I mean, I like a tease as much as everyone else, but it's not that bad is it?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Arg. I decided to give this game a try, and everytime I try to start it it tells me I need to update my video card drivers, but when I go to the site it says I'm up to date. It might be Windows 7 Beta hijinks, I don't know, but does Steam do...refunds?

I really, really don't feel like wasting away hours to get a game going right now.

I don't think the game page states that Windows 7 is a supported OS, though. :P

Impersonator on
  • TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    How's this game compare to Dark Corners of the Earth? I was hella digging on that game until they started giving you guns. At which time I became bored very fast and lost interest.

Also, the back of the complete edition of the game had...interesting summaries for each entry in the series. Basically in order of the games:
    1.)Your father has sent you a letter. Madness ensues!
    2.)You continue to seek out the secret behind your fathers letter. PS: More madness!
    3.)Man, this is some crazy shit! Also you're still trying to solve the mystery behind your father's madness. PPS: More letter!

Basically it makes it sound like you have spent three games trying to solve the very same initial mystery. I mean, I like a tease as much as everyone else, but it's not that bad is it?
    Overture and Black Plague should really be considered one game. They're episodic in nature, Black Plague picks up exactly where Overture ends. Indeed, if you only play Overture you're going to be pissed at its ending, it's so obviously a cliffhanger. They were originally meant to be a trilogy but the creators ended up wrapping up the story in Black Plague and the third one, which I've not played, apparently doesn't advance the plot as much as tie up loose ends from the other two and is more focused on puzzle solving than horror.

TalonSE on
  • BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Playin' Black Plague right now. These two games remind me of the Submachine flash series, which I loved.

Oh god this is some pretty creepy game. Especially the end of Overture...

There is dude standing in the distant middle of this long ass hallway... why is this du......wha...fffff...the lights...oh god..nononono.....no.....NO D:D:D:D:. (And then it MAKES you walk your ass down that hallway with that fuckin' glowstick.)

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

edited June 2009
    I'm not very far in, but I'd say well. For one thing, I haven't encountered any game-ending bugs yet, which makes it 0-2 in this game's favor. (Fuck blue lights/millisecond-margin tunnel collapses)

Outside of a few moments like the Vault, I found CoC more annoying than scary, especially when you get serious firepower. In this game, you apparently never get any firepower, and so far I've found it more scary than annoying.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone who gives up before meeting Clarence is doing it wrong.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Monkey!

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I was walking along and bam!
    Graboid'd

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Helloween wrote: »

Monkey!

Take a joke, monkey.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    YesNoMu wrote: »

Also
    Tip re: barricades and canines:
    The dog needs to be able to touch the door to smash through it. If you block the outside with barrels, it won't be able to touch the door. This will keep you safe... until the game decides to warp the dog in once you're far enough into the hall. But, the delay gives you time to make a left, grab the barrel of TNT and head to the back hallways, where the dog won't go.

More stuff about dogs and barricades:
    Dog wont try to break through if your sneaky enough about leaving that first open area the first time. Also, the fact that dog appears to 'warp in' past any barricade you have after you go into the workshop is due to the fact that a new dog is actually spontaneously showing up in that section as the caves, as I had to backtrack to the office and discovered that the original dog was still there.

Edit:

Im running it on the Windows 7 RC. Ive got a radeon though, so it might not work with nvidia. And I do seem to keep experiencing minor graphical glitches, which might be due to 7.

StuffGuy on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Monkey!

Take a joke, monkey.

Oh, wait... you didn't think... Hah! I thought you knew!

firewaterword on
    edited June 2009

Monkey!

Take a joke, monkey.

I'll give you a shiny penny

Dammit! Now I have to play it all again. Oh no, what a shame.

:D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know why this game would produce nausea in someone who has never felt nauseous as a result of FPS games before?

Maybe it was a fluke, but damn I hate being nauseous.

Professor Phobos on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know why this game would produce nausea in someone who has never felt nauseous as a result of FPS games before?

Maybe it was a fluke, but damn I hate being nauseous.

The fov?
    august wrote: »
    In a related note I'm playing Call of Cthulluh: Dark Corners of the Earth on pc right now. Played through on the OXBox previously.

I understand what they're trying to do with the fov but holy shit... 55? I just played for 10 minutes and I'm gonna hurl. Thank god there's the unofficial patch for that.

Not the same game, but might be the same problem for the same reasons.

august on
    edited June 2009
    Any idea how I can fix it? (And what FOV setting it should be?)

Professor Phobos on
    edited June 2009
    Any idea how I can fix it? (And what FOV setting it should be?)

I haven't bought the game, so... check the video options or google it?

Half-Life 2's default is 75. A lot of pc games that are multi hover around 90 afaik. Most Source online games won't let you push it past 90 for balance reasons. This is all for a 4:3 monitor.

august on
    edited June 2009
    By the way check this out:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Field_of_View

I think Valve got some complaints about HL2 because the fov went from 90 to 75.

august on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm somehow guessing you're running a resolution that is the wrong aspect ratio. this game only supports resolutions up to 1280 by whatever so for example my monitor is 1680x1050, which is 16:10. the largest 16:10 resolution selectable in the game settings is 1280x800. If you run 1280x1080 or whatever its going to look fucked up.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Monkey!

Take a joke, monkey.

I'll give you a shiny penny

Dammit! Now I have to play it all again. Oh no, what a shame.

:D

You silly billy.

Eminiss was a freaky fucker, too.
    All trying to kill you with his wang just flappin' around. D:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basticle wrote: »
    I'm somehow guessing you're running a resolution that is the wrong aspect ratio. this game only supports resolutions up to 1280 by whatever so for example my monitor is 1680x1050, which is 16:10. the largest 16:10 resolution selectable in the game settings is 1280x800. If you run 1280x1080 or whatever its going to look fucked up.
    Just edit your configuration file (for Overture: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Penumbra Overture\Episode1\settings.cfg) to make use of your native resolution. More details and all that can be found here.

Dírhael on
    edited June 2009
    Stolls wrote: »
    Eminiss was a freaky fucker, too.
    All trying to kill you with his wang just flappin' around. D:
    That part got me bad. Wasn't expecting that at all, though I certainly should have been. Nearly peed a bit, I did.

firewaterword on
    edited June 2009
    Anyone know how to change the field of view? I've googled, but to no avail. At this point I basically have to play in 10-15 minute increments.

Professor Phobos on
    edited June 2009
    So whenever I put the penumbra disc in, windows explorer freezes. So uh I guess it's not really compatible with 64 bit windows 7. Even though every other vista compatible thing works >:|

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First game that's had me properly spooked in ages. Last one was probably Silent Hill 2. Dead Space did a number on me but not to the same degree.

Completely lacking a viable weapon to take care of the situation is unnerving in a survival horror game. I thought I was past being really unnerved by horror games to be honest, it's usually a case of "look, you can see the strings" when a set piece crops up, and you've usually got a means to fight off most conventional stuff that happens. Here I'm just creeped out and wandering around in the dark. Reminds me a bit of Thief in that respect, even if Garret was a bit more handy with the shadows.

subedii on
  • StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So whenever I put the penumbra disc in, windows explorer freezes. So uh I guess it's not really compatible with 64 bit windows 7. Even though every other vista compatible thing works >:|

Im running the steam version in 64 bit windows 7.

StuffGuy on
    edited June 2009
    I did myself a slight disservice by playing through a portion of Black Plague in the daytime, and even then, it managed to get right the fuck under my skin.

Oh and I'm playing on Win 7 as well - not the RC though. I think... 7100 or something. Not sure. No problems, besides a really minor graphical glitch at the end of Black Plague. And even then, it gets so fucking weird by that point I wasn't really sure it was a glitch.

SPOILER, don't you go clickin' this shit till you're done, dagnabit!
    That weird tower thing in the Tuurnigant's (spelling, fucked if I know?) mindworld made a weird ghost thing that followed my field of vision around.

firewaterword on
    edited June 2009
    StuffGuy wrote: »

Im running the steam version in 64 bit windows 7.

well jeez louise what am I doing wrong.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does it only happen with the Penumbra disc?

Maybe it has something to do with the disc's protection system or someting? That's strange.

Impersonator on
    edited June 2009
    In that area outside the generator room, I have this design to...
    Lure a demon dog into one of the big yellow containers, then slam the door shut and block it with a crate. But the dog won't go anywhere near them. What's the range on the "jerky attracts dogs" thing? I figure I'd have to toss in a bit of jerky to get the dog inside.

Professor Phobos on
    edited June 2009
    Does it only happen with the Penumbra disc?

Maybe it has something to do with the disc's protection system or someting? That's strange.

This actually piqued my interest since I hadn't used a disc in eons. Sure enough, other discs started doing the same thing.

A quick restart fixed the problem and now I am on my way...to adventure!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited June 2009
    Lure a demon dog into one of the big yellow containers, then slam the door shut and block it with a crate. But the dog won't go anywhere near them. What's the range on the "jerky attracts dogs" thing? I figure I'd have to toss in a bit of jerky to get the dog inside.
    You'll have to use a couple bits o' jerky to get them in there, but you're on the right track. You can also toss stuff around to make noise, which should help lead them to your trail.

firewaterword on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I got it working! Not that anyone else cares, but I do!:P

I'm loving the way you interact with objects in this game, it's like getting motion control without having to buy new hardware for it.

Darlan on
    edited June 2009
    You'll have to use a couple bits o' jerky to get them in there, but you're on the right track. You can also toss stuff around to make noise, which should help lead them to your trail.
    Friggin' dog can break out of the cargo containers. Why put them there if we're not supposed to trap dogs in them? In any event, I've given up on being clever with this game. I see a dog, I hit it with the pick axe until it is dead.

Professor Phobos on
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I found the first game to be pretty bland on the whole, but it did have some really neat moments. The lights in the biolab come to mind. Combat is pretty awful, but I stopped caring once I found out it's way easier to just plonk the dogs on the head with whatever's handy whenever they get up. And then smack their corpse with that object as punishment for being a BAD DOGGY.

My favorite aspect was the puzzle design, I think. They were quite intuitive and rewarding on the whole.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
    edited June 2009
    I loved the underground lake part myself. But yeah, I thought Black Plague was far better than Overture, but Overture serves its purpose of getting you into the story.

Also (big ending spoilers!)...
    I thought Red's character was really well designed, as well as how your meeting with him plays out. When I found the note explaining he'd been down there since he was 14, living in hell pretty much, I felt much better about ending his life.

But Jesus, the sounds that dude make while he's burning alive... Ugh... That was pretty rough.

firewaterword on
    edited June 2009
    I loved the underground lake part myself. But yeah, I thought Black Plague was far better than Overture, but Overture serves its purpose of getting you into the story.

Also (big ending spoilers!)...
    I thought Red's character was really well designed, as well as how your meeting with him plays out. When I found the note explaining he'd been down there since he was 14, living in hell pretty much, I felt much better about ending his life.

But Jesus, the sounds that dude make while he's burning alive... Ugh... That was pretty rough.

Regarding the above spoilers (Big spoilers)
    I myself happened to enjoy those sounds. Bastard put me through loads.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!