As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh I will, someday, but for now I'm working on a more down-to-earth project to get used to working with Hammer and L4d's intricacies. And thanks for that lead, I'll look into that program.

Sorenson on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would really suggest learning something like XSI or Maya if you bother at all though.

Hit me up on Steamy Weamy if you need help with Hammer or anything.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    This is gonna' sound like a stupid question, but has Valve said anywhere if they ever plan on allowing users to run extremily low-level mods when they play online? I can understand blockin' anything that goes into the source and whatnot (not that that's stopped folks determined to do so) or can give a player/team a stupidly unfair advantage, but I can't see much harm in gussying the tank up in jeans, black tee and sunglasses or using the Beta witch textures instead of the current one. And it's not like they're stopping folks from muckin' around with the audio, for good or bad.

Sorenson on
    edited June 2009
    Isn't it already possible? I've never tried playing online with custom textures.

One thing you could do (I'm pretty sure but haven't tried) would be to embed a custom NPC texture into your BSP so only that map would use it.

LaCabra on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Isn't it already possible? I've never tried playing online with custom textures.

One thing you could do (I'm pretty sure but haven't tried) would be to embed a custom NPC texture into your BSP so only that map would use it.

Somewhere theres a statement that you can create custom Special Infected as part of the SDK. Can't remember where i saw that bit of information though...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited June 2009
    Nah, it said you could create your own common infected. And you can! Hooray for that.

LaCabra on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Nah, it said you could create your own common infected. And you can! Hooray for that.

Ah well, still a plus!
    Aliens mod here we come!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited June 2009
    yeah, me and remington were thinking of doing that a while ago

then we went "hey we should probably finish shotgun sunrise"

LaCabra on
    edited June 2009
    Oh man, I just thought'a' somethin': Goldeneye Source. Too bad the dev team seems rather sporadic and multiplayer-slanted on what maps they work on, but hopefully they'll get more of 'em put out soon.

There any other Source materials that're looking good for L4D conversion? I know that dudes've been messing with Shotgun Sunrise to some results.

Sorenson on
  • PitaParkerPitaParker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    If it made the pulse rifle sound I'd be downloading that as we speak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bucBIl6Z2BE

PitaParker on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PitaParker wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    If it made the pulse rifle sound I'd be downloading that as we speak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bucBIl6Z2BE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_dlAmBkr10

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Camoflagued Tank D:

I SAID THAT IN JEST YOU DOLTS D:D:D:

EDIT: Also, I was hoping that someone had done some Source remakes of STALKER maps. I am very dissipointed now.

Sorenson on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    they need a level where there's a segment where the survivors get to ride a combine harvester

one driver, 3 gunners

Zombies can crawl up on it and tanks can tilt or stun it
    OSPAM-00000021-001-FB~Combine-Harvester-England-Posters.jpg

gf-smug.gif

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    they need a level where there's a segment where the survivors get to ride a combine harvester

one driver, 3 gunners

gf-smug.gif

You think like fun.

Scotty on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »

one driver, 3 gunners

gf-smug.gif

You think like fun.
    This is a dangerous habbit.

STOP IT NOW!

:P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haha, you can all find a way to get $50 for L4D2. It comes out the day before my birthday so I know what I'm spending my birthday money on :D

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it at all possible to import maps from Half-Life 2 into L4D? I'd love to make a L4D run through Ravenholm.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    That survival map looks fun, except it doesn't work on dedicated servers. Crashes clients that don't have the map (even when they try to load an official map next) and until the sdk is out server downloads are disabled.

And if you do have the map and connect? You get to stare at a nice title screen for the map. That's it. No moving, no spawning, nothing. Fail.

Speaking of dedicated servers, how the hell does sv_search_key work? I set up a unique key and it times out searching for it, but i can use connect and get right on the server just fine. It shows up in the group list as well.

Edit: ok, search key works. When it is set to wang, it never gets selected (even though its lower ping than other wang servers). I set it to exoplasm and it works perfectly. PAers are free to use of course.

There's a way (which I can't remember off the top of my head) to connect using an ip from the lobby.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    also, I'm not sure if this quote has ever been posted in here, but I'm pretty sure the article it was taken from has.
    "Having a language to describe these things in makes it a lot easier," he explained. He also hints that the characters from the two Left 4 Dead games may meet in the future. "My dream is to have 16 characters, going through the world, having their experiences and their own views." Valve has piles of concepts for characters; the possibilities are limitless.

Sounds to me like there's gonna be at least a couple more [strike]expansion packs[/strike] sequels in the L4D world.

I am surprised this was not discussed more. I went from not going to buy L4D2 from disappointment, to probably buy it at half off with all the new features I was seeing, to probably not buy it for even half off because of this interview.

They want to have 16 characters? After L4D2 that's eight total. How long before the L4D team gets really excited about making another L4D game and it's all too much to fit into L4D2? It sounds like he is already anticipating the concept of making at least two more at this rate (Unless there are hidden characters or L4D3 has 8 characters). Hell he even talked about how they have a lot of character concepts in the works. And if this is what they really want to do, then Gabe will tell them to just go for it.

This all would bother me less if...

1. They supported L4D1 as much as they said they would.
    2. L4D2 wasn't clearly a superior version of L4D1, and was just an alternative kind of L4D game.
    3. Gabe hadn't also been hesitant of this idea, and felt it went against the company's image. It would have at least been reassuring to know he thought this was an excellent path to take.

Disclaimer
    Because I will be strawmanned to hell and back if I don't say these unrelated details. (I will be posting this with all my "boo Valve" posts because for the love of God this thread.)
    1. I am disappointed that they said they would support L4D1 like they did TF2, but than didn't. But I understand that they may have discovered that this new content was too much work or too much of a change. So yes things change, it may not have been misleading on purpose, but I am still disappointed.
    2. I think L4D1 is a great game on its own, and worth 50$ to some people. I still would not have bought it though knowing what I know now (That it was only going to get minor support).
    3. I understand that getting the Survival pack, the balance tweaks, the bug fixes, and the lighthouse map is more than most games. I also don't buy most games.
    4. I think L4D2 has potential to be worth 50$ and not just be an expansion pack. But we'll all have to wait and see on that one and I'm currently on the fence.
    5. I understand that there is potential for more support, but am skeptical as there are only five months and I doubt they would continue to support L4D1 much with a clearly superior L4D game available.
    6. I know there are no guarantees that they'll be making L4D3 within a year or whatever of L4D2, and I know it's still possible that they'll support L4D2 as much as I wanted them to support L4D1! But I won't be convinced until I see it, and I will no longer take their word for it.
    7. Yes, I know, if you don't like it don't buy it. Well, don't like my opinions don't agree with them! I believe this is a forum for discussion.
    8. Yes, I have e-mailed Valve on these matters. I am not just ragin' on the internets.

Quaz and Wally on
    edited June 2009
    L4D3 SIGN ME UP :D

I will have valves children for more l4d

Zombie Monkey on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

If they can make people not ragequit and avoid multiplayer, sign me up too :P

If it stays the same PITA to get a good vs game going....then pass.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited June 2009
    Man, I wish I had the money to buy all the Madden4Deads* on release day.
    *I AM JOKING ON THIS PLEASE DON'T TAKE ME SERIOUSLY

Quaz and Wally on
    edited June 2009
    If they were to add 5 new campaigns each year i think that would satisfy me

Zombie Monkey on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Hopefully 4x4 matchmaking will cut down on the rage-quit factor, since both halves of the game will be people who are coordinating with one another.

Professor Phobos on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Hopefully 4x4 matchmaking will cut down on the rage-quit factor, since both halves of the game will be people who are coordinating with one another.

Cause nobody rage quit in Gears of War 2.:rotate:

SkutSkut on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    3. Gabe hadn't also been hesitant of this idea, and felt it went against the company's image. It would have at least been reassuring to know he thought this was an excellent path to take.

I haven't read the entire thread and would be interested in the source of this.

Peewi on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it basically said that "gabe was hesitant but in the end trusted his co-workers"

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's from the Ars Technica article.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/before-its-time-valve-explains-left-4-dead-sequel-to-ars.ars
    So the team brought their concepts and ideas to create a sequel to Gabe Newell, and even he was skeptical about the idea. According to Faliszek, he expressed his doubts, and claimed this move was against the character of the company. "To Gabe's credit, and he's a great guy to work for, he said if this is what you want to do, if this is what you're excited about, go do it."

Tertiee on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I haven't read the entire thread and would be interested in the source of this.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/before-its-time-valve-explains-left-4-dead-sequel-to-ars.ars

2nd paragraph under the picture of chet

e: damn yoouuu

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Also, you shouldn't rage unintall, you should play with me, take the medkit and then incap yourself immediately afterwards. Thats always a great time :lol:

That was awesome.

The full anecdote:

We're on Dead Air, in the part with the van. As we're heading in behind the van, tank music plays. We somehow manage to kill the tank while dealing with the crescendo.

I remarked on how awesome that was: "That's true skill right there." As I am saying that, I am failing to jump to a nearby platform, proceeding to fall to my own incapacitation moments after finding a spare medkit healing me back up to green. "Speaking of true skill..."

It was hilarious. I should have done it on purpose.

I... I don't remember that level being a platformer. Where did this happen?

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    It's from the Ars Technica article.
    So the team brought their concepts and ideas to create a sequel to Gabe Newell, and even he was skeptical about the idea. According to Faliszek, he expressed his doubts, and claimed this move was against the character of the company. "To Gabe's credit, and he's a great guy to work for, he said if this is what you want to do, if this is what you're excited about, go do it."

Thank you.

Peewi on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like L4D. I didn't feel the original content alone was worth $45-$50. I would've waited for a sale had I known there would be no "major" additions to the game. But I guess holding Valve to their word is entitlement.
    Yea this puts it perfectly. Fuck yall who say "entitlement" in this thread.

Rakuen's Lifetime L4D gameplay stats. Which started collecting about a month before the Survival patch. Let's see, 297 games, 69,693 infected killed. 1,382 pounces, 1,602 survivors hit with vomit. This is significantly more than I've played, and I've played a heck of a lot of L4D.

You play the hell out of L4D then turn around and whine that the game wasn't worth $45, and that you deserve everything they're doing now for free. If that's not an entitlement complex, I don't know what is.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I like L4D. I didn't feel the original content alone was worth $45-$50. I would've waited for a sale had I known there would be no "major" additions to the game. But I guess holding Valve to their word is entitlement.

Rakuen's Lifetime L4D gameplay stats. Which started collecting about a month before the Survival patch. Let's see, 297 games, 69,693 infected killed. 1,382 pounces, 1,602 survivors hit with vomit. This is significantly more than I've played, and I've played a heck of a lot of L4D.

You play the hell out of L4D then turn around and whine that the game wasn't worth $45, and that you deserve everything they're doing now for free. If that's not an entitlement complex, I don't know what is.
    Actually, they said they've been collecting stats since sometime in December IIRC.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »

Sorry rak that's checkmate

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man they started collecting stats in December? Mine is completely empty and I played a fair bit into december before I quit

BlindPsychic on
    edited June 2009
    I would just like to say that I can get my money's worth of a game, but still feel gypped when I don't get something that the developer promised me. Maybe I do have some sort of entitlement complex, but I was promised it.

Not to say that I am defending everything that Rak has said.

Disclaimer
    Because I will be strawmanned to hell and back if I don't say these unrelated details. (I will be posting this with all my "boo Valve" posts because for the love of God this thread.)
    1. I am disappointed that they said they would support L4D1 like they did TF2, but than didn't. But I understand that they may have discovered that this new content was too much work or too much of a change. So yes things change, it may not have been misleading on purpose, but I am still disappointed.
    2. I think L4D1 is a great game on its own, and worth 50$ to some people. I still would not have bought it though knowing what I know now (That it was only going to get minor support).
    3. I understand that getting the Survival pack, the balance tweaks, the bug fixes, and the lighthouse map is more than most games. I also don't buy most games.
    4. I think L4D2 has potential to be worth 50$ and not just be an expansion pack. But we'll all have to wait and see on that one and I'm currently on the fence.
    5. I understand that there is potential for more support, but am skeptical as there are only five months and I doubt they would continue to support L4D1 much with a clearly superior L4D game available.
    6. I know there are no guarantees that they'll be making L4D3 within a year or whatever of L4D2, and I know it's still possible that they'll support L4D2 as much as I wanted them to support L4D1! But I won't be convinced until I see it, and I will no longer take their word for it.
    7. Yes, I know, if you don't like it don't buy it. Well, don't like my opinions don't agree with them! I believe this is a forum for discussion.
    8. Yes, I have e-mailed Valve on these matters. I am not just ragin' on the internets.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it at all possible to import maps from Half-Life 2 into L4D? I'd love to make a L4D run through Ravenholm.

They;ve done it with TF2 maps for god's sake.

Now, making ZF_Dustbowl into a L4D map would rule.

Edith Upwards on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Also, you shouldn't rage unintall, you should play with me, take the medkit and then incap yourself immediately afterwards. Thats always a great time :lol:

That was awesome.

The full anecdote:

We're on Dead Air, in the part with the van. As we're heading in behind the van, tank music plays. We somehow manage to kill the tank while dealing with the crescendo.

I remarked on how awesome that was: "That's true skill right there." As I am saying that, I am failing to jump to a nearby platform, proceeding to fall to my own incapacitation moments after finding a spare medkit healing me back up to green. "Speaking of true skill..."

It was hilarious. I should have done it on purpose.

I... I don't remember that level being a platformer. Where did this happen?

In the luggage area with the conveyor belts and whatnot. There's a few nasty falls possible in there.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop