As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop hard drive

Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my notebook video card is fried. Right now, I can turn it on, hear windows booting up, put in my password and turn it off with Alt-F4, but my screen is entirely black except for the little DOS/BIOS load up graphics. I can get the safe mode list, but if I try to boot in safe mode, it just hands. Yesterday it was all graphical glitches and windows couldn't even boot at all sometimes. My problem is I want to get some stuff off of the hard drive. If it was a desktop, I could just put the hard drive in another computer.

So does anyone have any idea how I could possibly get access to my hard drive? Something that I can do sooner than sending it to the manufacturer to have them replace parts.

Bruce Forsyth on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Try to remotely access your hard drive with \\yourcomputername\C$ and your account credentials from another box. Since you mention a password I'm assuming you're admin on your own box. Should work that way.

Failing that, easiest way is to open the access panel on the bottom, remove your notebook's HDD, and hook it up to your PC internally. Might need a 2.5" -> 3.5" adaptor set for that if it's using laptop-standard connectors; SATA ones should be able to plug right into your desktop though.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah if its SATA it's a 100% the same connectors as a desktop HDD. If its IDE would need a laptop to desktop IDE adapter. They normally cost about $15 even though they look like they should cost $1. For long term use you can usually find an external enclosure that would hook up to your computer through USB.

What OS are you running? Because if it is XP and you have your profile set to private, or your using Vista, you might have to boot to that OS installation to get into any of your profile files (Like Desktop and My Documents).

Topweasel on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Topweasel wrote: »
    Yeah if its SATA it's a 100% the same connectors as a desktop HDD. If its IDE would need a laptop to desktop IDE adapter. They normally cost about $15 even though they look like they should cost $1. For long term use you can usually find an external enclosure that would hook up to your computer through USB.

What OS are you running? Because if it is XP and you have your profile set to private, or your using Vista, you might have to boot to that OS installation to get into any of your profile files (Like Desktop and My Documents).

If you encrypted your drive you're fucked unless you have the recovery keys/disk.

If you just "set private" then it only locks it out with ownership/NTFS permissions, which can be wtfpwned from the root level by just taking recursive ownership of the entire drive.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Topweasel wrote: »

If you encrypted your drive you're fucked unless you have the recovery keys/disk.

If you just "set private" then it only locks it out with ownership/NTFS permissions, which can be wtfpwned from the root level by just taking recursive ownership of the entire drive.

Now I was just referring to the the general locking out of the folder with an access is denied issue. As a Side comment, I haven't had experience with the whole recursive ownership. Would that get set in the security tab, just wondering, I had an issue recently and this might have helped me.

Topweasel on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks. It's Vista/SATA, so I'm going to open it up and see what I can do.

Bruce Forsyth on