As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    You're all going to buy it anyway

Eh, to be honest I enjoyed L4D plenty, but I'm sceptical I'm going to buy this, or at least not straight away.

Unless the community shifts wholsale onto L4D2 I'm not sure I see the point, because all the video footage has just looked like L4D with a New Orleans skin as far as I've been able to see.

I was really expecting them to take their time and make a real evolution of the game. Which it could still be, but if it's not, then I don't see much point in bothering.

All the video footage from the day of announcement 5 months from release are always highly indicative of the final product's quality and variety

It's what they chose to show, and it's what I'm seeing. Sorry if I'm actually supposed to ramp up my enthusiasm for future, better footage that I haven't seen yet, I'll do that right away.

It's what they have done the most, and what they're forced to show at a Microsoft Conference

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by what they "have done the most", or even why the MS conference should make a difference.

Either way, I saw the footage, that was what it looked like. I mean what the hell else am I supposed to say? It looked the same as Left 4 Dead but gee, hopefully it'll be more than that? I already said that in my first post, alongside saying if it's not, then I'm not going to be bothered.

subedii on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I was going to say earlier that he already said that the game "could still be" a "real evolution of the game", but I didn't think it was necessary. I don't really know where you're going with this.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry I'm really just opposed to passing any kind of postable judgement about something that is obviously not finished

Again, refer to l4d in it's early stages and compare to the game we got.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Buzzkills. That's what you all are. Buzzkills.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    It's what they chose to show, and it's what I'm seeing. Sorry if I'm actually supposed to ramp up my enthusiasm for future, better footage that I haven't seen yet, I'll do that right away.
    Good point.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    enderjsv wrote: »
    The buzzcocks was a good band.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to keep nerdrage to a minimum and discussion to a maximum because the honest truth is that I want L4D2 to be an excellent and lasting game and I want to partake in it, but I am reluctant and skeptical and am hoping to be convinced.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to keep nerdrage to a minimum and discussion to a maximum because the honest truth is that I want L4D2 to be an excellent and lasting game and I want to partake in it, but I am reluctant and skeptical and am hoping to be convinced.

Stop with all that cautious optimism. Embrace the awesome power of unrelenting giddiness.

The buzzcocks was a good band.

I like turtles.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I don't know why, L4D was unfiltered awesome, why would l4d2 be any different?

Even if it has the same weapons and mechanics, what's wrong with 5 new campaigns, new AI director tricks, and new infected overall?

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry I'm really just opposed to passing any kind of postable judgement about something that is obviously not finished

So I'm just supposed to shut up about it when I view the footage then or what? I didn't pass freaking JUDGEMENT on the game, I said what I thought the footage looked like, grief.
    Again, refer to l4d in it's early stages and compare to the game we got.

The Left 4 Dead footage I saw in half a year before release looked pretty similar to the finished product, they themselves said they spent most of that time just polishing and getting the game "just" right. I don't honestly expect footage 4 months from now is going to look much different than it does now except minus the bugs. Well, and maybe showcasing some new settings.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Stop with all that cautious optimism. Embrace the awesome power of unrelenting giddiness.

It is a terrible clash of, "Oh god dynamic paths! Chargers!? This should get rid of some of the blandness. Oh god I hope those melee weapons work like I want them to!" and "I wonder if this is worth spending 25 bucks on and if I'm going to play this as much as I play TF2..."
    I don't know why, L4D was unfiltered awesome, why would l4d2 be any different?

Even if it has the same weapons and mechanics, what's wrong with 5 new campaigns, new AI director tricks, and new infected overall?

My beef was that I stopped playing L4D as soon as they updated TF2 to have cloak recharged by ammo and upgradable teleporters and dispensers (which wasn't too long after L4D released). I played a few times here and there, but another sad truth is that I've regretted paying 45$ for l4d long before I heard about L4D2.

Edit: Also I am just on a really tight budget.

Disclaimer
    Because I will be strawmanned to hell and back if I don't say these unrelated details. (I will be posting this with all my "boo Valve" posts because for the love of God this thread.)
    1. I am disappointed that they said they would support L4D1 like they did TF2, but than didn't. But I understand that they may have discovered that this new content was too much work or too much of a change. So yes things change, it may not have been misleading on purpose, but I am still disappointed.
    2. I think L4D1 is a great game on its own, and worth 50$ to some people. I still would not have bought it though knowing what I know now (That it was only going to get minor support).
    3. I understand that getting the Survival pack, the balance tweaks, the bug fixes, and the lighthouse map is more than most games. I also don't buy most games.
    4. I think L4D2 has potential to be worth 50$ and not just be an expansion pack. But we'll all have to wait and see on that one and I'm currently on the fence.
    5. I understand that there is potential for more support, but am skeptical as there are only five months and I doubt they would continue to support L4D1 much with a clearly superior L4D game available.
    6. I know there are no guarantees that they'll be making L4D3 within a year or whatever of L4D2, and I know it's still possible that they'll support L4D2 as much as I wanted them to support L4D1! But I won't be convinced until I see it, and I will no longer take their word for it.
    7. Yes, I know, if you don't like it don't buy it. Well, don't like my opinions don't agree with them! I believe this is a forum for discussion.
    8. Yes, I have e-mailed Valve on these matters. I am not just ragin' on the internets.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

quoted because I agree to the fullest.

VALVe, make us believe.

What really grinds my gears about it?

(Spoilered in case you don't feel like throwing up white hot RAGE)
    Gamestop has gotta be absolutely licking their chops for this. 360 version.

Hype? Check.
    Controversy? Check.
    Sequel to critically acclaimed game? Check.
    Installed fan base? Check.
    Year release calendar? Check.
    Probable used sales as people who never played the first one pick it up to check it out before the sequel comes out? Check.
    Probable regular sales as people trade in their copy of L4D1 and spend it on other shit. Chizzeck.

*COUGH COUGH* BLARGH. *COUGH COUGH* RAAAAGE!

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone know where I can grab some High-Resolution L4D artwork? I'm looking to make myself a new mousepad.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sanstodo wrote: »
    You know behind the baggage check with all the conveyor belts? On the upper platform, I saw some pipes and said "You know, I've never jumped to these pipes before." Well it turns out that you can't.

EDIT: Uh, Rak? No Great Name? We get it. You can stop now. We get it.
    I had stopped but then random quoted something from like 2 days ago and I had to reply. Sorry no more trolling from me.

I don't think you're trolling at all. I think you have a perfectly reasonable complaint, I just think you guys are getting a little strident about it.

In any event, back to L4D discussion: Does anyone know if knocking a survivor down something while pounced does additional damage? Like down a ladder?

Yes, they take falling damage if they exceed the threshold.
    An example of this, at the sewer ladder in NM3. Pounce onto a survivor that's almost to the top of the ladder. Watch as they lose a ton of their health just from the fall (plus any pounce damage if you did it from far away enough). Insert routine incap's here.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah, i don't trust valve ever since the last time they released a game that wasn't worth paying for

wait hang on

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    yeah, i don't trust valve ever since the last time they released a game that wasn't worth paying for

wait hang on

I don't know if your sarcasm is directed at me, but it's responses like this that is why I've been putting a disclaimer on all my, "I'm not happy, Valve" posts.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't see anyone saying that Left 4 Dead 2 will not be awesome. Its not even that they don't think its gonna be worth the money.

Everyones just disappointed that the awesomeness will not added to the first one. People can be disappointed, right? Especially in their personal favorite? What you're seeing with the boycott is an over reaction to the disappointment they feel. You can't say that feeling dissapointment is injustified, though. It just happens.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    max: check the game files with the GCF archiver, what ever's in there should be pretty large.

Also, more funny from this thread because the arguments became
    L4D1 buyer: This looks a little paired down, but if I wait, they'll add more stuff like they said.
    L4D2 buyer: This looks a little paired down, but if I wait, they'll add more stuff like they said.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    max: check the game files with the GCF archiver, what ever's in there should be pretty large.

L4D1 buyer: This looks a little paired down, but if I wait, they'll add more stuff like they said.
    L4D2 buyer: This looks a little paired down, but if I wait, they'll add more stuff like they said.

I honestly have no idea what you mean. I think the arguments are a tad bit more complicated then that.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Actually, the L4D2 buyer argument is that we HAVEN'T seen a lot of stuff that's IN the game, so we can't make an accurate judgment about it.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, pared down.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Boy I'm so glad we're still talking about this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Boy I'm so glad we're still talking about this

Eh. It's topical and we're clearly all interested in the subject. Continued discussion is inevitable.

I grow tired of it as well. I cannot wait until we can start complaining about the matchmaking patch that's next/this week.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't understand why people don't like the new characters. But I haven't watched much of the gameplay videos. Do we already know they aren't as appealing as our original four? I mean, one of them made a GOB reference for crying out loud. I don't doubt that they'll deliver on the likable characters.

I don't know, I just liked the original four because they I thought they created likeable characters especially with Bill and Louis and had them be believeable survivors. People you could see actually being competent enough to get through this shit and always get shafted waiting for an escape vehicle

now we got "mama told me to pray harder", a redneck-ish guy, and some conman who's fighting through New Orleans who's first idea is how to count cards in zombie blackjack

And those guys are the ones getting fucking airstrikes from the military for assistance.

So you see an electronics salesman as being able to survive a zombie apocalypse more than someone who has most likely spent all of life shooting guns and already living among zombies why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From his manual biography, Louis doesn't exactly see like a guy with much of a spine. This is even nodded at in the opening when he's clearly losing his cool after seeing the Tank. Even Zoey comes off as a lot more collected than him. Self-preservation is a really, really strong factor when at heart you're a big ol' coward. Just look at Benji in The Mummy.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    From his manual biography, Louis doesn't exactly see like a guy with much of a spine. This is even nodded at in the opening when he's clearly losing his cool after seeing the Tank. Even Zoey comes off as a lot more collected than him. Self-preservation is a really, really strong factor when at heart you're a big ol' coward. Just look at Benji in The Mummy.
    He's the one surviving black guy in a group of white people in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. I'd be scared, too.

Whoever said that is a racist... *cough*

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That doesn't even make sense as a joke, jeez.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    That doesn't even make sense as a joke, jeez.

You don't watch enough horror movies.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I normally play as Louis whenever I can to completely disprove that stereotype.

The new rule is: The black guy always saved the old guy/chick but dies horribly in the process.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, yes, okay, I get it.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [strike]
    [strike]Serious post: Do people absolutely lose their cognitive ability when it comes to video game speculation

Because if you honestly think that the current l4d2 videos are anywhere near what the final thing is going to be like, you should probably stop posting

Go look at some of the early l4d videos months from release and see how much changed[/strike]

Also serious post: Why do you feel we should be exited for this product?[/strike]

edit: nvm, this isn't a conversation worth having over and over again. Forget about this post.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Serious post: Do people absolutely lose their cognitive ability when it comes to video game speculation

Because if you honestly think that the current l4d2 videos are anywhere near what the final thing is going to be like, you should probably stop posting

Go look at some of the early l4d videos months from release and see how much changed

Also serious post: Why do you feel we should be exited for this product?

They are making a sequel to a very good game

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, I edited my last post a little too late.

I'd really rather not get into an argument over this again :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think they should completely restructure the Left 4 Dead versus scoring system for the sequel.

Get rid of the points, make each match a win or a loss and have the server on a constant loop. This way it will play more like TF2, which has far fewer rage quits.

The system right now makes (some)people feel like they are losing and the game is already a forgone conclusion.

They should also put in a simple griefing system that limits the damage one player can inflict on his teammates. After a certain amount of damage, stop the player from damaging his team mates further. If this happens multiple times, auto initiate a vote to kick the player. I've only been griefed once in this game, but it only takes a few seconds to mow down all your team mates with the auto shotty on expert, less time then it takes for a player to react and go into the voting screen.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a little bit discouraging, just from a consumer perspective, to see Valve go from providing a huge amount of free content to their games to yearly, full-priced sequels.

I mean, I'm not surprised everyone is not at least a *little* upset about getting less content for more--much less encouraging companies to do just that.

I guess it's just a sign of the times though.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember I watched a movie where there was a black guy who was also the grim nam vet.

I didnt remember his name so I always called him Blouis

Edit: Didnt realize roland responded to me, but seeing as Louis says that he went to the range on lunch breaks I don't think he'd be that bad off, I just think that Ellis or whatever his name is would probably end up shooting a soldier at a checkpoint if it werent for the rest of them, although Francis probably would too

Basically I want more L4D1: Down South

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    PitaParkerPitaParker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't even want this "FREE DLC" everyone seems to be pissed about not getting I would be more then happy to pay 10-20 bucks just for any kind of new content. Its weird that I'm angered by not getting to spend more money.

PitaParker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Serious post: Do people absolutely lose their cognitive ability when it comes to video game speculation

Go look at some of the early l4d videos months from release and see how much changed

Also serious post: Why do you feel we should be exited for this product?

They are making a sequel to a very good game

ZOMBIES IN THE FRENCH QUARTER.

ZOMBIES IN THE FRENCH QUARTER

ZOMBIES IN THE FRENCH QUARTER

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PitaParker wrote: »
    I didn't even want this "FREE DLC" everyone seems to be pissed about not getting I would be more then happy to pay 10-20 bucks just for any kind of new content. Its weird that I'm angered by not getting to spend more money.

Don't worry, you'll get to spend your money on l4d2 :)

@MaxZero: Ahahahaha, while I can't say that isn't an intriguing prospect, 50 dollars is a lot to ask for that alone :)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    PitaParker wrote: »

Don't worry, you'll get to spend your money on l4d2 :)

@MaxZero: Ahahahaha, while I can't say that isn't an intriguing prospect, 50 dollars is a lot to ask for that alone :)

You don't understand.

Imagine you're a big fan of Zombie lore.

Now imagine they make a videogame with Zombies in your hometown.

I GET TO SEE HOW FUCKED UP THE FRENCH QUARTER WILL BE ON Z DAY!

Not to mention New Orleans' awesome cemetaries

lafayette-cemetery-aisle-large.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png