As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Global Agenda] MMO Shooter/RPG. closed beta soon.

eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
So, today was the first I'd ever heard of Global Agenda after clicking a random banner ad that looked interesting because I am an MMO whore. I was actually pleasantly surprised at what I saw and signed up for the beta.

http://www.globalagendagame.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cat_7bfzzs
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47950.html

Anyone else following this? It reminds me of TF2 meets Starsiege: Tribes in a Guild Wars style 'MMO' set up with leveling to unlock access to new gear, but with persistent territory control and regular patching/content updates justifying the monthly fee. I see people bitching about the 8-12 person per side instanced battles, but having been playing Warhammer since release, I personally look forward to smaller engagements as zerg vs zerg is usually laggy, unorganized, and one side usually has a larger zerg, leading to very little fun anyways.

Also anyone signing up for the beta, they have a friend referral system in place to attempt to get friends and clanmates that use the same referral codes in the same beta waves if possible. Here are referral codes you can use from people in this thread.
HZDNIJI2130
HZDAXEN324150
HZDURAHONKY2160
HZDZANDRACO4967
HZDJAMESDM3650
HZDHARSHLAN3933
HZD52965840
HZDNIGHTSID2780
HZDCAMUIDA4823
HZD115993090
HZD16361530
HZDDARKE5820
HZDSONORK4507
HZDTYHALCYO7423
HZDPROBAD0353

(She/Her)
eelektrik on

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    to me, it is dissapointing to see where the MMOFPS genre has gone

Planetside was great while it lasted, and I've yet to play a game like it since.

While Global Agenda sounds like it can be a little fun, if it requires a monthly fee I really see no reason to play it. It sounds like a regular FPS experience (but with less players/map) and a metamap.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh. Guild Wars didn't have a monthly fee, and has regularly updated the game in terms of stability, balance, and content since launch. Guild Wars also had PVE content.

It kind of just looks like an arena shooter.

chasehatesbears on
  • NijiNiji Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I agree that this one sort of looks like just paying a monthly fee to play a plain old FPS. It doesn't look like there is really much of a "world" out there, just a ton of instances. However, my judgement on upcoming MMOs has an absolutely terrible track record, so I signed up.

Niji on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The one thing that DID seem really exciting about this game to me is the fact that it splits up the mission into multiple strike teams. One team trying to take out the turrets before team B can take out the com system while team C fends off the enemy until they can strike sounds awesome. I always wanted an uber tom clancy game that featured crap like that. Im signin up for beta based on that.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Neocron was better.

Brian on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh. Guild Wars didn't have a monthly fee, and has regularly updated the game in terms of stability, balance, and content since launch. Guild Wars also had PVE content.

It kind of just looks like an arena shooter.

This is supposed to have PvE content as well as currency, loot, skill trees, and so on. It has more RPG to it than say Planetside, but it actually has a persistent metagame unlike your average shooter. They just chose to focus the game on manageable battles of 8-12 players per side, which is a design decision that I for one support.

Some of the best multiplayer I have ever played, and some of the greatest use of teamwork I've seen, was doing 3v3 on Steel Battalion: Line of Contact. You don't have to have massive battles to be fun. In fact just the opposite, massive battles have enough problems that they tend not to be anyways.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This kind of looks like Planetside which is good. It won't be providing the huge fights that planetside did but I don't really have a problem with that. The huge fights in planetside were fun but I'd be lieing if I said they didn't have issues. 200 people fighting in/around the same base was a clusterfuck if you were a ground pounder. The game had trouble handling it and lag issues with an FPS are frustrating to say the least.

The most fun I had in Planetside was doing highly coordinated small group shit with an outfit. If this can provide that experience on a more regular basis then I'm all for it.

HappylilElf on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why do you say FPS if it's third-person?

Garthor on
    edited May 2009
    I haven't read up on specifics but is it confirmed as forced third person or is it like many games where you can switch between the two?

HappylilElf on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    The game is also being distributed via Steam (it's actually up on steam now, if you didn't know). I really hope they go the Guild Wars route, I could see myself playing this often if they did.

Unknown User on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have absolutely no problem with instancing/lobby online games (PSO and Guild Wars are my favorite, ever.)

I just don't see them justifying the monthly fee, mostly because Arena.Net spoiled me.

chasehatesbears on
    edited May 2009
    I haven't read up on specifics but is it confirmed as forced third person or is it like many games where you can switch between the two?

Actually I just checked and Garthor is right, from the FAQ on their site
    The game employs a 3rd Person perspective (although some weapons allow scoping in a first-person perspective using a right-click action).

Your character jetpacks to rooftops, grapples onto ledges, engages in melee combat, and darts behind cover to evade rocket fire. With this type of gameplay, a third-person camera provides players the best view of their surroundings. In play testing, we found that, given these factors, the third-person view was nearly universally preferred to the first-person perspective once players were familiar with the game.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    Have they confirmed that there will be a monthly fee yet?

Unknown User on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hope grapple hooks can be used on people.

Only two things in the video that irk me: Melee combat and walker mechs. I guess we have to have things that look "cool" even if anyone with any knowledge of the subject can tell you how absurd these things are in a modern, nevermind a sci fi, setting.

Yoshua on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mechs are more absurd in scifi than contemporary?

Glal on
    edited June 2009
    bipedal war machines are neat

stop hassling them

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks like Tabula Rasa, except (hopefully) good.

Scooter on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »

No but melee combat is absurd in either setting. Excuse me if I don't qualify everything I write down, I would expect most posters here to have a little more common sense than your average gamefaqs troll.

Yoshua on
    edited June 2009
    Yoshua wrote: »

No but melee combat is absurd in either setting. Excuse me if I don't qualify everything I write down, I would expect most posters here to have a little more common sense than your average gamefaqs troll.

I suppose it's a reasonable assumption to make if you know that you do not constitute the majority all by yourself.

Anyway, there's nothing particularly horrible about melee. Sniper rifles are long-range. Machine guns are medium-range. Shotguns are short-range. Beams swordz iz melee-range. It's simply one end of the spectrum (and not the stupid fucking asshole end, like sniper rifles).

Garthor on
    edited June 2009
    hit-leon-431x300.jpg

"The rifle is the first weapon you learn how to use, because it lets you keep your distance from the client. The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn."

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Yoshua wrote: »

Let me put this simply: Don't be a jackass. What you just wrote? Prime example of being a jackass. Don't do that.

People tend to like unrealistic things in games that have unrealistic settings. Like beam swords and big stompy robots in sci-fi shooters for example. Sure, anyone who has actually thought about it realizes that bipedal tanks are a shitty idea in reality. That doesn't make stomping around in one making things explode any less fun.

The only problem with these ideas being unrealistic is if this game was actively trying to have a realistic setting. Which it's clearly not. So what's the problem?

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2009
    Massively has a hands on from E3 up now.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited June 2009
    Also: how come "Diablo only you can bunnyhop around the chatroom" seems to be billed as "MMO" more often these days?

Garthor on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So if anyone else signs up for this, use this promo code: HZDCAMUIDA4823
    Apparently whenever you complete the signup everyone gets a code for themselves to share but it only gets 5 uses. So first come first serve.

(Make sure to follow the link in your email you get to finish the signup process of uploading your dxdiag to the site)

Camui on
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Signed up heres my promo code for other peoples.

HZDSONORK4507

Sonork on
    edited June 2009
    I put the referral codes thus far in the OP, including my own. Since I guess I might as well just post it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I signed up as well, referral code is: HZDTYHALCYO7423

Tyberius on
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Been signed up for a while now (and I think we actually have a thread for this; we did at some point), but here's my code anyway: HZDPROBAD0353

Probad on
  • NijiNiji Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My code is HZDNIJI2130.

Niji on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I found this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NPZkgK-TkY

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well I'm buying it based on that video. :P

urahonky on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Singed up.

Referral code is: HZDAXEN324150

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Used yours Axen,

mine: HZDURAHONKY2160

urahonky on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Signed up using Tyberius's I believe. Mine is HZDZANDRACO4967.

Zandracon on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I signed up using Penny-Arcade as my group name(and made us look good too.) and my name as JamesDM( HZDJAMESDM3650 )

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I signed up using JamesDM's code and Penny-Arcade in the group info. My code is HZDHARSHLAN3933

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I signed up using HarshLanguage's code, Mine is HZD52965840

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yet another code: HZDNIGHTSID2780

Used Camui's and good old penny arcade.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been signed up but I just used The Count Of Midget Fisto code, Mine is HZD115993090

Ash-Housewares on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Used that, mine is HZD16361530

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator