As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Thread!

KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
It seems like once or twice a year we get a new Invincible thread that is updated only a handful of times before falling off the face of the planet forever and so, since the book is one of my favorite on-goings, I'm going to personally make sure this one gets updated as frequently as possible until every single one of you are reading the title.

Two new covers were revealed today for upcoming collections of the series:

Invincible TPB Volume 11
Invincible_11th_tradepaperback_by_WyA.jpg

Invincible HC Volume 5
5th_HARDCOVER_by_WyA.jpg

Also, Nate Bellegarde recently revealed that he's currently working on a Rex Splode mini-series! Here's a teaser image:

rexarm.jpg

KyleWPeterson on

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wooo!

Just reading the tenth trade right now.

good stuff indeed.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A few months ago I had some splurge cash and bought the over-priced Absolute Invincible collection. I loved it so I'm collecting the trades but weirdly some people at my comic shop are warning me to avoid the whole Invincible War thing.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Invincible War wasn't bad by any means, it was just over too quickly. Whereas most event titles like Infinite Crisis or Secret Invasion tend to drag things out too much by an issue or two, the Invincible War was over in a single, double-sized issue. The story could have easily gone on longer but Kirkman wanted to see if he could fit everything in to issue sixty (which he quickly admitted didn't work the way he would have liked for it to).

KyleWPeterson on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think Kirkman should have done it in 3 issues and let the last few issues be the aftermath so it could fill out the 12th trade better.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited June 2009
    The current arc is actually dealing with the aftermath of the Invincible War. The world is still in ruins.

KyleWPeterson on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't seem to recall many comic events that i like as much as invincible war..
    It's everything Ultimatum is not!

Sure, it's hard to compare to some of the better bits of say, civil war, but in the end something actually happened/Something actually is happening.
    i guess i prefer a condensed event with a great satisfactory outcome over a long-winded cock-teasing event that only leads into the next one.

(still kinda pissed that i read 90% of ALL civil war books and most if it isn't even relevant at al anymore).

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked Invincible War, for the most part. But I'm going to be super bummed if, like he's been teasing, Kirkman actually
    kills Eve. Especially since we never saw the fight.

Fun fact: I love this book so much, I finally bought the HCs so I could loan them out to my friends easier.

Kiwi on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kiwi wrote: »
    I liked Invincible War, for the most part. But I'm going to be super bummed if, like he's been teasing, Kirkman actually

I feel like that has to be a fake-out. Kirkman's a savvy dude, and I refuse to believe that he'd intentionally broadcast a major plot point in such a blatant way.

I mean, he had Ottley deliberately obfuscate a character's sleeve on the cover of an issue, just to avoid spoiling their appearance. Unless he's desperate to drum up some interest in the book, which I doubt as it's still selling well, it has to be a swerve.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    I think the person that'll be dying during Conquest will be
    Debbie.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    I was kind of thinking Oliver might bite it.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Invincible_65_cover_by_WyA.jpg

KyleWPeterson on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Fun fact: I love this book so much, I finally bought the HCs so I could loan them out to my friends easier.

I would be very disappointed by that, I'd probably have to take a break from Invincible for a while.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My guess is Cecil

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009
    funeral

That's obviously a martian impostor.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    I don't know why Mark would be crying about Cecil especially after this last issue of Invincible.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's only one person whose passing Omniboy could conceivably mourn, and that's Omniman.

But he probably only looks sad for the sake of the cover.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    There's only one person whose passing Omniboy could conceivably mourn, and that's Omniman.
    He's alive and well though and will be starring in issues 66 and 67 with Allen the Alien (with Cory Walker returning to pencil two issues).

Invincible66.jpg

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009

I feel like that has to be a fake-out. Kirkman's a savvy dude, and I refuse to believe that he'd intentionally broadcast a major plot point in such a blatant way.

I mean, he had Ottley deliberately obfuscate a character's sleeve on the cover of an issue, just to avoid spoiling their appearance. Unless he's desperate to drum up some interest in the book, which I doubt as it's still selling well, it has to be a swerve.

Yeah, it probably is a fake-out, and I know that in my head. But that won't stop me from crying on the inside when I think about it. D:
    Is it wrong for me to be ok with that? Maybe dying a little bit will teach him to stop being so arrogant. I know he's, like, 2. But still.

Kiwi on
  • RenoreRenore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

... is that Omni-Man in the back? Next to Brit?

Renore on
    edited June 2009
    Renore wrote: »

Oh crap. Yeah, definitely looks like him.

Kiwi on
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    his mom isn't in that shot either, y'know.

just sayin'...

Inter_d on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Inter_d wrote: »

just sayin'...

I was thinking about that as well.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Renore wrote: »
    picture

Oh crap. Yeah, definitely looks like him.

Isn't that one of the Heroes for hire? The guy who was dressed up in the American flag and was boning the Hulk analogies eternally young wife.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it could be, they looked the same, hair/stache-wise.

What does the cover mean for a release date for HC5? I mean, 4 was supposed to me out last year i think, and i just got it like last week.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • RenoreRenore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Inter_d wrote: »

just sayin'...

This would clear up why Omni-Man would show up. (If that's Omni-Man at all, of course.)

Or it could just be a case of MISLEADING COVER ART

Renore on
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Everybody else looks sad but Superpatriot is all O_O

And Robot.

Saph on
    edited June 2009
    What does the cover mean for a release date for HC5? I mean, 4 was supposed to me out last year i think, and i just got it like last week.
    Kirkman wrote in one of his letter columns that he expects to have it out fairly soon as a continuing part of his "On time in '09" promise. It's available for pre-order on Amazon.com

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    The guys over at King of the Hill are apparently pretty big fans of the comic:

kothunvincible.jpginv1vs1.png

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    I knew I saw Bobby holding an Invincible comic once, but could never find anything to substantiate it.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    That boy's finally doing something right.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thats obviously UNvincible.

Yeah i pre-ordered Vol 4, and then it got delayed 6 months. I'll believe it when i see it!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, question regarding Omni-Boy/Kid Omni-Man:
    I just picked up the latest trade. Here's what I don't get: is there anything redeeming whatsoever about Oliver? He just seems like a sociopathic version of his father. I don't want to suggest the character is unreasonable, since his views flow entirely naturally from his history. I just want to understand what other people find enjoyable about him since it's not working for me.

Still, bad-ass trade.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    I just picked up the latest trade. Here's what I don't get: is there anything redeeming whatsoever about Oliver? He just seems like a sociopathic version of his father. I don't want to suggest the character is unreasonable, since his views flow entirely naturally from his history. I just want to understand what other people find enjoyable about him since it's not working for me.
    The thing you have to remember about Oliver is that he's really only a year or so old. He doesn't get to leave the house because of his skin color and as a result has had no real interactions with others apart from his mother and Mark. He's one of those characters that I think will be fun to go back and read how much they've grown eventually.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    I don't see why they can just put makeup on Oliver or something.

Anyway, the kid pretty much is a sociopath.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    I mean, that's what I'm struggling with about him. His explanation (in the trade; I don't follow the individual issues) makes sense in that all of his biological imperatives come either from his purely communitarian mother's lineage or his apparently communitarian/fascist father's, so it makes sense that he doesn't share the same selfish biological urges than humans have. So, I'm not at all upset with that.

But I mean, I could think up a lot of horrible, unpleasant characters that would make sense but that I wouldn't want to read about. Right now, I can't make myself want to care about Oliver. All I want is for him to die with as small a body count as possible. He already killed the Mauler clones (hopefully there was a backup), and I'm sure he's killed people in the issues not yet put in a trade.

If there's someone who likes him - not just 'gets' him, but actually likes the character, and finds him fun, etc. - can they explain why? I really like Kirkman, and I'm struggling to enjoy this character, but between him and the stuff with Cecil I'm sorta frustrated.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    I think it'll be more interesting as he gets older. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Oliver around the same age as Mark by the time issue 100 hits. And I think he'll have a change of attitude once someone close to him (perhaps Nolan or Debbie) bites it.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    Pretty funny that both Walking Dead and Invincible have pre-adolescents
    who are also murderers. I guess Kirkman finds that kind of thing interesting.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    That's the frustrating part to me, actually, Robos: I like the idea of a kid that kills. I think there's a tremendous amount of potential there. But Oliver isn't portrayed as sympathetic, just sociopathic. He is full-on fascist (thinking he gets to decide who lives and who dies, etc.) as opposed to the communitarian he describes himself as. Granted, that sort of dissonance could totally lead to good stories in concept, but this particular depiction of a contradiction like that just results in a villain living with Mark. He lies without question or reservation after killing the Maulers, which means he is clearly aware of the fact that he cannot admit his true reasoning to anyone. This reads to me as a sociopath, not a misguided youth or whatnot.

Don't get me wrong; I love Invincible and I'm not dropping it as a series. I just wish they'd get Oliver to at least a mildly tolerable level.

mattharvest on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's the frustrating part to me, actually, Robos: I like the idea of a kid that kills. I think there's a tremendous amount of potential there. But Oliver isn't portrayed as sympathetic, just sociopathic. He is full-on fascist (thinking he gets to decide who lives and who dies, etc.) as opposed to the communitarian he describes himself as. Granted, that sort of dissonance could totally lead to good stories in concept, but this particular depiction of a contradiction like that just results in a villain living with Mark. He lies without question or reservation after killing the Maulers, which means he is clearly aware of the fact that he cannot admit his true reasoning to anyone. This reads to me as a sociopath, not a misguided youth or whatnot.

Don't get me wrong; I love Invincible and I'm not dropping it as a series. I just wish they'd get Oliver to at least a mildly tolerable level.

A character doesn't have to be sympathetic to interesting though. In fact a character doesn't even have to be sympathetic to be good.
    I like Oliver because he's interesting both as a character and a plot device.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2009

A character doesn't have to be sympathetic to interesting though. In fact a character doesn't even have to be sympathetic to be good.
    I like Oliver because he's interesting both as a character and a plot device.
    I think I was unclear here: I didn't mean to say that Oliver had to be sympathetic, but rather was picking an arbitrary 'good' characteristic to counter the 'sociopathic' characteristic. I could just as well have said that he's not funny, just sociopathic (compare: Deadpool, who is both).

He's certainly interesting as a plot device. I just...I dunno, I feel like I'm waiting too long for Mark to realize what he really is. This is the amazing thing about Kirkman, his willingness to draw stories out for such a long period of time in Invincible (Willingham does a similar thing in Fables), and so I guess it's here to stay, and usually a good thing. Maybe it's that Oliver seems so obvious to me as a reader that I don't get Mark's reactions.

mattharvest on