As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 2: Causing Harder

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
justcause2.gif
Wikipedia wrote:
Just Cause 2 is a sandbox style action video game currently under development by Swedish developer Avalanche Studios and Eidos Interactive and published by Square Enix. It is currently set for a release in March 2010. It is the sequel to the 2006 video game Just Cause.

Just Cause 2 uses a new version of the Avalanche Engine, Avalanche Engine 2.0; an updated version of the engine used in the original Just Cause. The game will be set on the other side of the world, compared to Just Cause, on the fictional tropical island of Panau in Southeast Asia. Rico Rodriguez will return as the protagonist, who has to overthrow the evil dictator Baby Panay and confront his former boss and handler, Tom Sheldon.
1zme9hx.giferwkg6.gif
Wikipedia wrote:
The game-play is similar to that of its predecessor, in which the player is free to roam the game's open world at will, without having to focus on the game's storyline, much similar to that of other sandbox style action games, like Mercenaries.

Several new additions and improvements to the game were explained by the lead designer of the game, Peter Johansson. The AI has been rewritten to use a planning system which enables enemies to do all sorts of new things. For example, the enemies will use the environment to their advantage, taking cover behind objects, and adapting dynamically to the objects around them. The hybrid aiming system is also a new feature that helps the player to quickly aim at enemies while leaving the player in full control over the cross-hair; as such, the player is rewarded for skilled manual aiming. It also enables you to pinpoint specific limbs manually and have varied crippling effects on the enemy. Just Cause 2 also has an adaptive difficulty system, gradually scaling the difficulty as the player does more in the game.

The game takes place on the fictional island of Panau, situated in the Malay Archipelago. It is geographically similar to both New Zealand and Hawaii.

There are several new weapons in Just Cause 2, such as a rocket launcher with laser-controlled rockets, a one-handed grenade launcher, remote-triggered C4, and a detachable mounted minigun. There are several new vehicles, including a Boeing 737. There is a greater difference in the handling of different vehicles. Ground surfaces now have a large influence on the player's controls (e.g. while a sports car may be suitable for driving on a flat road, it is not particularly suitable for off-road driving). There is also a real-time deformation system and moving parts that can come loose from vehicles.

The player must acquire weapons and vehicles in the field of their own accord, as Rico doesn't have official support from the agency in this game, but later information revealed you can acquire weapons and vehicles off the black market.

Early in the game the player contacts a black market supplier, from whom weapons can be purchased and vehicles and get them delivered to the player's location via heavy drop. As the game progresses, additional weapons and vehicles become available on the black market. Additionally, all weapons and vehicles on the black market have parameters that can be upgraded in several steps, by building upgrades with weapon and vehicle parts. There are over 2,000 parts that the player can acquire.

Developer Interview

E3 Trailer

Launch Trailer

1238487993.jpg

1243989591.jpg

1243990594.jpg

1243989589.jpg

1238487994.jpg

Xbox 360 Demo : http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534307e7/

PC - Steam Demo : http://store.steampowered.com/app/35110/

ifbajp.gif
ROOOCKEEEETMAAAAN!!

Kyougu on

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought the original Just Cause for a couple bucks at Blockbuster, and it was worth it just for the skydiving. I call it the best bad game I've ever played because the graphics suck, the animations suck, it's buggy and ugly and unpolished but damn if it isn't fun.

Looks like I'll be putting this on my 'rent or possibly buy at a discount' list.

edit: okay, that looks pretty damn badass. Either the devs learned a hell of a lot or it's a different crew doing this one. Definitely gonna rent this one.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man, that E3 walkthrough video was epic. I loved the car battle at the end.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JC1 has the worse mechanics and animations and controls for anything other than the parachute, though. It's pretty bad in all the player-game interface components.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy shit, watching the video at Giant Bomb.

Holy shit

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They had me at base jumping, then lost me with the shooting mechanics at the military base, then got me back at the car chase. I'm interested to say the least.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, some of the shooting looked a bit rough, but the ideas they've had for the action is just rich.

And no matter how absurd it is, juggling ragdolling corpses with gunfire has been a favorite pastime of mine since Hitman 2.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just saw the video on Kotaku. MUST GET. Coming this year, yes?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dude said 2010 in the video. Kind of odd to me, it looked mostly quite polished in the video, as far as the graphics went. Not perfect, but releasable.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It should go without saying that the original had an amazing soundtrack.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The stunts with the parachute in the original were quite interesting, but the shooting seemed really lackluster and tacked on.

Hopefully they worked on that for this sequel.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i always call this game "just cuz". because... why do i own it?

just cuz

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, this game looks awesome. I'm actually glad it's coming out later rather than sooner, give it some time to polish up some of the animations and shooting mechanics.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    EnwolfEnwolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well.....holy fucking shit that was cool! A little bit of suspension of disbelief required for the parachute but....holy shit, color me impressed

Enwolf on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Enwolf wrote: »
    well.....holy fucking shit that was cool! A little bit of suspension of disbelief required for the parachute but....holy shit, color me impressed

But the basejumping and grappling hook and tying enemies to O2 tanks and jumping around on the grilles of cars was pretty realistic if you ask me... :P

Zenitram on
  • Options
    MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played the original Just Cause and I have to say, it was hard to stay dedicated to it. I mean, it was fun as hell, but after a while I felt like it bogged down.

With better physics (that is to say, with physics) and the ability to grapple corpses to my car, well, I think I'm pretty much sold on getting this.

Just as silly as the original, but it looks like there's a lot more fun ways to kill people now! :D

Mindstorm on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks fun but I just can't get over how...I don't know, silly the grappling hook/parachute dynamic is. I can't help but feel like there are a million other gadgets that would make more sense for what Rico is trying to do. I mean hell with the grappling hook/parachute being able to keep you aloft indefinitely why not just use a goddamn jetpack.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    This looks fun but I just can't get over how...I don't know, silly the grappling hook/parachute dynamic is. I can't help but feel like there are a million other gadgets that would make more sense for what Rico is trying to do. I mean hell with the grappling hook/parachute being able to keep you aloft indefinitely why not just use a goddamn jetpack.

Can a jetpack hook enemies to red barrels? Or to the back of a jeep?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Couldn't I just use something like the nail gun from FEAR for that?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Couldn't I just use something like the nail gun from FEAR for that?

Then go play F.E.A.R.

Or Half-Life 2.

:P

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why would he use a grappling hook and a parachute?

Just Cause, duh.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Ant26587Ant26587 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I remember going to pick up the first game a while back in one of those long summer game droughts and then not getting it for some reason.

Anyway I hope that this is actually a good game and not just a forgettable effort that the first one seems to be.

Ant26587 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I long ago abandoned my need for my videogames to make logical sense. Gimme a grappling hook and parachute and lemme slingshot around with them, dammit.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno. there's somethign about the motion and movement in the game that just feels off.

Plus the explosions look awful, currently.

That said taking cover on the front of a moving car is hilarious.

I think I'll have problems playing other open world games after RF:G though.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played the fuck out of the original. Bought it on release day and even after 1000 pointing the achievements I kept trucking along with it. The flying was really relaxing...... which is weird for a game that pushes for action over laid-backness.

This one looks to improve everything the first did, which is insane since I was in love with the first.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thank god they kept the auto-targeting. Seriously, the best part of just cause 1 was that you only had to look in the general direction of an enemy to shoot him. The only time you needed to manually aim was to shoot objects.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mwahahaha! Man, this should just be called Just Cause 2 : Suck My Dick, Bionic Commando! That looks NUTTY.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    Thank god they kept the auto-targeting. Seriously, the best part of just cause 1 was that you only had to look in the general direction of an enemy to shoot him. The only time you needed to manually aim was to shoot objects.
    Yeah it really does seem like they are just fixing everything wrong with the first.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like it

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dude, I LIKE it. It's just batshit insane. And any interest I had in Bionic Commando went out the window after A). Zip lining across the goddamn BASE and B). Attaching the dude to the propane tank and then watching it fizz around on the ground.

Looks way better than the first one, graphically and entertainment wise.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first one was glorious, you're all wrong :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taking cover on the front of a car and shooting the driver, then jumping in and driving away is why video games were invented.

Now if this had co-op I would buy it 100 times.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So Just Cause. It was a 360, PS2, and Xbox sandbox game. ...the game was a buggy, repetitive, and had those "Ps2 upgraded to 360" graphics from the start of the gen.

It was also a pc game, which I remember as being not buggy in any way whatsoever and looking quite good.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whoever at the developer decided you should be able to stick things to other things is a fucking genius. What a great toy.

Entriech on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That video looked really awesome. I never played the first one though, so maybe I'm missing some background, but is that guy supposed to be like a super soldier or something? Is there a reason he can take upwards of 200 rounds of bullets like in that video? Or is it just not supposed to be a serious game?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks pretty fun, but it is stupid as hell. The dude dual wields mp5s or krinkovs or something, and the grappling hook/parachute mechanics looks stupid as hell. I don't even think that shit would work on the moon

If you are going to stretch the suspension of disbelief that far, why not just make a super-ninja game?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Did you even play the first one? You are a super-ninja.

Turkey on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, but you look like some generic action movie star.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Since when did generic action movies ever follow the laws of physics?

Food on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You are. That's kind of the point. You are an off-brand James Bond without that pesky discretion getting in your way and only one gadget, the Grappling Hook of Awesomeness.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yalborap wrote: »

You are. That's kind of the point. You are an off-brand James Bond without that pesky discretion getting in your way and only one gadget, the Grappling Hook of Awesomeness.
    Two gadgets. There's also the Stunt Parachute of Gravity Defiance.

This does look like ludicrous amounts of fun, though. I really should've expected as much the moment I heard "scorpion made of guns."

Monger on