As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think they should completely restructure the Left 4 Dead versus scoring system for the sequel.

Get rid of the points, make each match a win or a loss and have the server on a constant loop. This way it will play more like TF2, which has far fewer rage quits.

The system right now makes (some)people feel like they are losing and the game is already a forgone conclusion.
    What I'd like, asides from what you mentioned, is an option to randomize what maps are played for 24-7 servers, or a "campaign shuffle" option where it'll randomly choose between campaigns for the appropriate stage level - round one might be Death Toll, round two's Dead Air, round three's Blood Harvest, etc. Add a nice bit of variety and mess with folks who try to map out their plan of attack for the entire campaign.

EDIT: MZ: I know it ain't a real zombie virus but that picture makes me hope that we'll get some graverisers while we're running through - maybe folks who got the infection and whose vitals became so weak while in the throes of the sickness that they were thought dead and buried, and hearing/feeling the survivors and the chaos they attract moves them to claw their way up to the surface.

Sorenson on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    What I'd like, asides from what you mentioned, is an option to randomize what maps are played for 24-7 servers, or a "campaign shuffle" option where it'll randomly choose between campaigns for the appropriate stage level - round one might be Death Toll, round two's Dead Air, round three's Blood Harvest, etc. Add a nice bit of variety and mess with folks who try to map out their plan of attack for the entire campaign.

I like this idea. Especially if it included the five new campaigns, so there would be nine possibilities for each round.

elevature on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    @max z: I know that's awesome for you, but for everyone who doesn't live around New Orleans its just another play area (not that New Orleans isn't an awesome place to fight zombies in).

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    @max z: I know that's awesome for you, but for everyone who doesn't like New Orleans its just another play area (not that New Orleans isn't an awesome place to fight zombies in).

Fixed

Brian on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, I edited my last post a little too late.

I'd really rather not get into an argument over this again :)

Then stop bringing it up?

Hurf durf hurr hurr etc.

Edit: It's also fully possible to simply delete posts entirely if you felt like it. Just go edit, then delete and click the confirm button.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    @max z: I know that's awesome for you, but for everyone who doesn't like New Orleans its just another play area (not that New Orleans isn't an awesome place to fight zombies in).

Fixed

Hey now, what's wrong with New Orleans?

Y'know, other than the heat.

...and the mosquitos.

...and the crime.

...and the mayor.

...and the hurricanes.

Fuck.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a little bit discouraging, just from a consumer perspective, to see Valve go from providing a huge amount of free content to their games to yearly, full-priced sequels.

I mean, I'm not surprised everyone is not at least a *little* upset about getting less content for more--much less encouraging companies to do just that.

I guess it's just a sign of the times though.

Uh...the TF2 updates make more sense in the bounds of a class-based, team-based shooter.

And I'd say this is hardly representative of a trend. Also, which games have gotten free content besides L4D and TF2?

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PitaParker wrote: »
    I didn't even want this "FREE DLC" everyone seems to be pissed about not getting I would be more then happy to pay 10-20 bucks just for any kind of new content. Its weird that I'm angered by not getting to spend more money.

Don't worry, you'll get to spend your money on l4d2 :)

@MaxZero: Ahahahaha, while I can't say that isn't an intriguing prospect, 50 dollars is a lot to ask for that alone :)

You don't understand.

Imagine you're a big fan of Zombie lore.

Now imagine they make a videogame with Zombies in your hometown.

I GET TO SEE HOW FUCKED UP THE FRENCH QUARTER WILL BE ON Z DAY!

Not to mention New Orleans' awesome cemetaries

lafayette-cemetery-aisle-large.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are those cemeteries still standing after Katrina or were they damaged?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited June 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Sorry, I edited my last post a little too late.

I'd really rather not get into an argument over this again :)

Then stop bringing it up?

Hurf durf hurr hurr etc.

Edit: It's also fully possible to simply delete posts entirely if you felt like it. Just go edit, then delete and click the confirm button.

I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up and I didn't want to ninja edit in case some one replied while I was deleting it (which oddly enough would have happend).

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited June 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    PitaParker wrote: »
    I didn't even want this "FREE DLC" everyone seems to be pissed about not getting I would be more then happy to pay 10-20 bucks just for any kind of new content. Its weird that I'm angered by not getting to spend more money.

Don't worry, you'll get to spend your money on l4d2 :)

@MaxZero: Ahahahaha, while I can't say that isn't an intriguing prospect, 50 dollars is a lot to ask for that alone :)

You don't understand.

Imagine you're a big fan of Zombie lore.

Now imagine they make a videogame with Zombies in your hometown.

I GET TO SEE HOW FUCKED UP THE FRENCH QUARTER WILL BE ON Z DAY!

Not to mention New Orleans' awesome cemetaries

lafayette-cemetery-aisle-large.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are those cemeteries still standing after Katrina or were they damaged?

All still there.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited June 2009
    What do you think the chances of Valve including a flooding New Orleans segment in l4d2?

While perhaps too soon, it would be a brilliant game mechanic that I would likely pay full price for.

edit: this isn't an atempt to make light of katrina, but more a looking to the problems of (what seems to be) bombing Neworleans

Nappuccino on

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For those not familiar with the area, please note those crypts do not go "underground" like you see in b-rated horror flicks. Due to the area being...you know...not really above sealevel, most graves are shallow/above ground.

Just thought I'd mention that.

(I saw a cheapass movie on Sci-Fi the otherday with an underground crypt in the middle of a bayou. That shit just ain't right)

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    edited June 2009
    TTODewback wrote: »
    For those not familiar with the area, please note those crypts do not go "underground" like you see in b-rated horror flicks. Due to the area being...you know...not really above sealevel, most graves are shallow/above ground.

Just thought I'd mention that.

(I saw a cheapass movie on Sci-Fi the otherday with an underground crypt in the middle of a bayou. That shit just ain't right)

Strange, I thought that was (rather) common knowlege... though above ground crypts are almost creepier than underground ones.

Nappuccino on

• Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Interesting bit from this article
    When we chatted to them they mentioned that a new update pack for Left 4 Dead would be released in the summer and that it would still get ongoing development with extra content. They aren't just going to ditch this game and move on, that just isn't Valve's style

http://www.gameon.co.uk/games/preview/2009/left-4-dead-2-preview

Not in the main body but the author responds to soem comments lower down

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
    edited June 2009
    They've told us a number of times that they will keep working on the game. What they are going to put into it they haven't even hinted at ("content" is unbelievably vague.)

I'm a firm believer that if they so much as said "campaign" or "special infected" or hell even "disco balls" people would perk up a little bit.

(this is a response to ZM telling us all in Armadeadon to read his post "especially you Snazzy." He's so cute when he's stern :) )

Nappuccino on

edited June 2009
    CONTENT PACK

Zombie Monkey on
    edited June 2009
    and content equals.... what exactly?

It could be literally anything.

it could be new Prada shoes so the team can fight in style. I'm not trying to say I'm not glad that they're bringing us something, I'm just not going to be excited until I know what it is

Nappuccino on

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So basically you refuse to accept that one of the main complaints about L4D2 (the lack of support/new content for L4D1) is probably invalid because Valve wants to keep supporting L4D1 as well as L4D2?

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    valve has said from the start that they're going to keep supporting L4D

the most vocal of the naysayers have just chosen to ignore it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    valve has said from the start that they're going to keep supporting L4D
    Seeing is believing.

Panda4You on
    edited June 2009
    Believing is seeing

*ZM goes back to playing l4D3

Zombie Monkey on
    edited June 2009
    What do you think the chances of Valve including a flooding New Orleans segment in l4d2?

While perhaps too soon, it would be a brilliant game mechanic that I would likely pay full price for.

edit: this isn't an atempt to make light of katrina, but more a looking to the problems of (what seems to be) bombing Neworleans

This sounds like an excellent idea. The Army tries to bomb the shit out of the area and accidently takes out a levee or two in the process.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L4D3 coming 2011 December.
    It will be interesting to see the L4D1 community rot and decay moving to L4D2.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the only thing we know for sure they're adding besides SDK stuff is team matchmaking. Remains to be seen how much, if any, actual content will make it in by Fall.

Zek on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crypts won't have dead people rising up, Valve's zombies are virus infected mans

Robman on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    Saw it. This is possibly the funniest thing I've seen done with Hitler.

Mind you, I don't have much to go on.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The timing and facial expressions are wonderful.

Movitz on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that clip has been used for so many similiar things

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    This one is better, the beta test part had me in tears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koM4wyfCA_c

Zombie Monkey on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The comments to that vid make me want to eat my own eyes so I dont have to read them.

Thats youtube though I guess.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope the content pack has unlocks. Or maybe a campaign. That would make me feel a little better. I was really hoping to see more weapons. I remember when we were in Beta, and that ad at the end was like "10 WEAPONS", only to discover this somehow means, pistols, dual-pistols, shotgun, uzi, rifle, auto-shotty, assault rifle, molotavs, pipe bombs, and the minigun. I mean, yeah, they're all weapons, and 10 is a good number, but I was hoping for a little more variety to develop.

Quaz and Wally on
    edited June 2009
    I saw from the gameplay video that you don't dump your primary weapon when you grab a melee weapon. That's kind of strange.

Robman on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The comments to that vid make me want to eat my own eyes so I dont have to read them.

The question is: why were you looking at the comments in the first place? It's Youtube, you already know that they're going to be retarded.

Peewi on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

video

The question is: why were you looking at the comments in the first place? It's Youtube, you already know that they're going to be retarded.

Its like driving past a car crash. You know you shouldnt look but you do anyway.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited June 2009
    I WONT PAY CUZ.

VALVe->VALVEA->Valve->Valvea->valve->valvea->valvEA->EA!!!

VALVE! CONTINUE TO WORK ON HL STYLE GAMES CUS THE SOUNDTRACK HAS INDUSTRIAL MUSOIKZ AND TEY TEACH U HOW TO HATE INDUSTRIALISM N SHIT, ETC.

PS- valvEA announced this THE DAY I LIVED TO GREEK(WHICH IS A SATANIC PLACE BUT IS NICE PLACE THERE BUT CURSED N STUFF) SO IM PROFET(OR WATEVA HOWEVA ITZ SPELLED) AND NOW I CURSED SO MY KEYBOARD CANT SPELL CUZ CURSED TOO LIKE EA/valvEA NOW OMFG!!!

ur al welcom lol

EDIT I'm convinced this comment is fake. Of course, youtube. But still.

Robman on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I saw from the gameplay video that you don't dump your primary weapon when you grab a melee weapon. That's kind of strange.

You pick up a melee weapon like you would a gas can or something now, and when you want to switch back to your weapons you have to drop it

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited June 2009
    i hope the boycott dies down, we can all be pissed but i think its taking it a bit too far

Zombie Monkey on
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that boycott is pretty dumb.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They're all going to buy it anyway

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png