As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Futurama - Bender's back, baby!

HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
futurama.jpg

good news everyone!

http://i.gizmodo.com/5285178/futurama-is-back-for-26-more-episodes
Wikipedia wrote:
On June 9 2009, it was confirmed that Comedy Central had picked up the show for 26 new episodes that will begin airing in 2010, spread over two seasons.

steam_sig.png
PSN:Hakira__
Haikira on

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Prayer does change things!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why this good news indeed! Although I did kind of like the movie length format episodes too

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wooh! I liked the movies, but I felt the show works best in 25 minutes. It just isn't meant to go on for 90 minutes of story arc.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hooray, a return to 22 minute episodes! Hope they get a full writing staff as well.

Captain Tragedy on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    About time.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    I welcome the news, but I really hope they do a bit better job than they did with the movies. They were... all right, but it really seemed like they didn't know how to handle the format well, which led to repeating the same jokes a lot over the course of the hour.

Aroduc on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All glory to the hypnotoad!

Detharin on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wild Green Yonder was awful. Oh well. At least the first two movies were pretty good.

JAEF on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    YES! YES, YES YES!

I remember being disappointed that a new season was only coming in the form of four movies.

This makes me extremely happy.

Synthesis on
  • mobiusptcmobiusptc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh that is pure awsomness

mobiusptc on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome.

Hope they're better than the movies. Wild Green Yonder was an awful send-off compared to The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll still never forgive them for ruining Jurassic Bark with Bender's Big Score.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WOOO HOOO, I'm back, Baby!!!!

Dunadan019 on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's still just a rumor, though? I saw the same news, but don't want to celebrate until something official shows up.

I'm very happy at the prospect, however. Futurama is still one of my favorite shows, and even though the films didn't retain a very consistent quality, I really enjoyed them nonetheless. I get the feeling that returning to an episodic format will be a huge boon for the writing staff.

Though it does seem like 20+ episode seasons are on the way out for a lot of shows these days.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good news everyone!
    005_professor.png

Nocturne on
  • Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is the best news I have heard today =D !

I hope they do a good job with the new series and that it doesnt turn into a Family Guy.

Hocky27 on
  • TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Wild Green Yonder was awful. Oh well. At least the first two movies were pretty good.

Good to know that other people think so as well. I was getting worried 'cause I remember liking Futurama before, but now I'm an hour into this movie and I haven't laughed once. Not even chuckled.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »

Good to know that other people think so as well. I was getting worried 'cause I remember liking Futurama before, but now I'm an hour into this movie and I haven't laughed once. Not even chuckled.
    And it only gets worse. I think. I'm pretty sure I just turned it off and never looked back at some point.

JAEF on
  • StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

And it only gets worse. I think. I'm pretty sure I just turned it off and never looked back at some point.

Really? I thought it was better than Bender's Big Score or Bender's Game.

Starcross on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

In order of goodness it goes Benders Game > Beast > Big Score > Wild Green.

any other order is incorrect.

Dunadan019 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    No god damn it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [/Vader]

The movies have all fucking blown. They're awful.

The show ended perfectly. Just let it be.

The show itself was pretty hit or miss too. There are some great episodes, then some truly awful garbage.

JustinSane07 on
  • KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Woop dee do!

Koolaidguy on
  • postinonthenetspostinonthenets Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its always depressing when I go back to watch it and realize how little there is to go through.

postinonthenets on
    Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return

Twitter
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No god damn it.

The show itself was pretty hit or miss too. There are some great episodes, then some truly awful garbage.

Most of the episodes were good. There are only a couple really bad ones I can think of:

The Honking - Bender turns into the Werecar
    The one with Zoidberg's Uncle

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No god damn it.

That's my opinion too. The series was great, but the movies were horrible. And since the new series will probably be made by the same people and with the same mindset as the movies, this does not bode well.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    No god damn it.

Most of the episodes were good. There are only a couple really bad ones I can think of:

The first movie was a dramatic drama about drama.

With no comedy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fuck all of you guys, i liked the movies.

granted, i can't stand to watch them more than once but the one time i viewed them, i liked them.

my real worry is that the show is going to go the way of family guy and the quality will just sink to shit. seriously, fuck Seth mcfarlane. right in his ass.

Inter_d on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

Yeah, I thought Wild Green Yonder was the best of the movies. Still not on par with the episodes though, so good news, everyone!

cheez on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Inter_d wrote: »

granted, i can't stand to watch them more than once but the one time i viewed them, i liked them.

my real worry is that the show is going to go the way of family guy and the quality will just sink to shit. seriously, fuck Seth mcfarlane. right in his ass.

What's funny about that is while Family Guy's quality has been going down, American Dad's has been going way up. Me thinks Seth is working harder on AD than he is on FG and someone else is running the FG ship these days. Someone less talented.

But to take this back to Futurama, what you said is indicative of the movie's suck. If they were good, you could watch them more than once.

JustinSane07 on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, what?

Futurama is my favorite show of all time. I've had to re-purchase seasons because I've worn the discs down so much from watching them.

This is terrific news.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The movies, while not great, were on par or better than the worst episodes of the series. And even the worst episodes weren't terrible. All of the movies had great story ideas and just suffered from being stuck in a 4-episode format (not even a 'movie' format, since they needed to be split up into episodes).

I have no reason to think that going back to TV, and going back to an episode format would be a bad thing.

Tomanta on
    edited June 2009
    Inter_d wrote: »

What's funny about that is while Family Guy's quality has been going down, American Dad's has been going way up. Me thinks Seth is working harder on AD than he is on FG and someone else is running the FG ship these days. Someone less talented.

But to take this back to Futurama, what you said is indicative of the movie's suck. If they were good, you could watch them more than once.

nonsense, i fully enjoyed it the first time. it's just too damn long to watch again and again.

Inter_d on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Praise Robot Jesus!

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll agree Wild Green Yonder was the worst of the movies, but it wasn't crap. I was still able to wring some of the sweet, sweet milk of entertainment from it, just not as much as the others.

Still, new TV eps! Yay! Even though their experiments with the movie format were hit-or-miss, they've certainly got the single-episode rhythms down.

Edit: And Zed, it's Sweet Zombie Jesus.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Praise Robot Jesus!

What about zombie Jesus?

nexuscrawler on
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haikira wrote: »
    Bender's back baby!

With a single deletion of a comma, you begin to wonder, "Why does Bender have a back baby?" Hopefully it will be answered in the new episodes...

meeker on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Edit: And Zed, it's Sweet Zombie Jesus.
    Only for you fleshbags.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We believe he existed, and was a well-programmed robot, but he isn't our messiah.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
    edited June 2009
    Metacortex wrote: »
    We believe he existed, and was a well-programmed robot, but he isn't our messiah.

i love that episode so goddamn much.

Inter_d on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

I agree with this, and even the lesser episodes (like those noted) usually have a clever moment or two.

Can't wait to see some new episodes.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!