As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me make delicious sangria.

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I know there is an alcohol thread around here somewhere, but this is a pretty specific question.

I had one of my first encounters with sangria that did not suck, and I have fallen for it hard. PA - give me som relatively basic but also amazing sangria recipes that have worked out nicely for you.

I thank you all in advance for the debauchery that will ensue as a result of your suggestions.

UnknownSaint on

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bam! This is always, always, always a hit. Just make sure you give it 12 hours or so for the flavors to mingle. Serve with Sprite or 7-Up.

Feel free to lock the thread now.

TL DR on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first Sangria I ever had was a cheap 8 euro bottle of piss from a hotel store in Malaga. Tasted like diet kool-aid and gallo wine. Which is what it probably was.

Here's a much better recipe:

Mix one bottle of wine with 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 cup orange juice, and 1 cup lemon juice. Cloves and cinnamon for flavour. Chill it and off you go.

Enjoy getting blasted, making out with women of questionable quality and/or gender, and waking up feeling like all hell is trying to claw through your skull.

Edit: Ahh, you beat me to it. That looks much tastier.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bam! This is always, always, always a hit. Just make sure you give it 12 hours or so for the flavors to mingle. Serve with Sprite or 7-Up.

Feel free to lock the thread now.

Hahaha, I just finished searching the D&D Alcohol thread for your post after reading the thread title, and I was about to post it here.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I often use a really simple recipe.

1 bottle of red wine
    1 litre of ginger ale
    2 tbsp of sugar
    1 orange
    1 anjou pear
    1 lemon
    2 handfulls of blueberries
    as much gin as you want

Let the fruit soak in the wine overnight in the fridge. Do not add the sugar and gingle ale until ready to serve. Easy to remember and easy to make.

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this is the recipe for the Olive Garden's Sangria, which I love. I have made it before and it's great.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Olive-Garden-Sangria-84548

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sangria is one of those drinks that you anyone can make, but only a select few make well. I'm no master, though my grandfather had a damn good mixture he handed down to us. Generally, to make delicious Sangria, the main ingredient is time. You need to let it soak at least 12 hours for it to be really good.

Tinyfist's list is pretty solid. Feel free to mix up the fruits you add, though. I typically use limes, lemons, oranges, grapefruit (only when you can get the sweet kind), and strawberries.

I usually skip the ginger ale in favor of a soda water mixed with x2 of the sugar and vanilla extract (usually prepped at the same time as the wine). You can skip the soda entirely, though, and just add a sugar water/sugar-rum mixture. If you do this, use cane sugar, prep overnight, and stir several times over the 12 hours. It makes a considerably different flavor, though.

For the Red Wine, try to get a strong, dry Merlot. The sweetness of the sodas and fruit complement it better than most wines. Better quality is always better sangria, but you shouldn't have to spend more than $20 bucks.

Ground cloves and cinnamon are also highly recommended.

Add Gin and Rum for extra plastering, though if you use fresh fruits and good wine, they aren't really needed.

Most of all, experiment! Try one of the ones listed here and move on from there.

Enc on
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Enc wrote: »
    Most of all, experiment! Try one of the ones listed here and move on from there.

This is the most important thing. Sangria can be made in virtually unlimited combinations. The list I jotted down earlier is something I've found that my friends and I like. But really do experiment. Throw things in there that you like or you think may add to the flavour and see what you like better. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz!

Cheers!

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it does bear mentioning that there's no need to spring for expensive booze when you're just tossing it all in a jug together. You're fine with a $30/1500mL bottle of merlot and E&J Brandy, for example

TL DR on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Use the cheapest wine, lots of fruit. If your fruit isn't particularly sugar laden (pineapple, mango, etc), add sugar (dark brown sugar is the best).

I also like to spike 'er. If your base is white wine, add vodka. If your base is red, add dark rum or spiced rum.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH