As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hope & Hate (Ghostcrawler promised me a pony!)

• ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had to dualbox with a friend's account and just repeatedly kill his hunter over and over. God that was mind numbing.

Arrath on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hate: More computer fun! I'm an idiot and didn't bother disconnecting a hard drive I didn't want fucked with until everything was fixed, since last time I fucked with the new hard drive, nothing touched the old one. But I think this time Windows setup got confused and fucked with that drive after all, so now apparently my old Program Files and other stuff are still fine but everything in my user account Documents and Settings is gone. Supposedly. I had backups from a couple weeks ago but I'm not sure if there's anything I saved between then and two weeks ago that I'd have cared about. Besides the Excel file of what's in all of my moving boxes, haha. /wrist

riz on
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fuuuuuuuuck: Yogg goes wasted again because we've had so fucking many people quit in the last week. People are getting pissed off because raids get called, blah blah blah. Stupid summer.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Anyone "capable" of doing 3d10 has apparently transferred off of my server. of the Nightfall and the Immortal are almost never seen, and the Undying is very rare.

That's an average damage of 15...not very impressive. :lol:

16.5, damnit! :x

Echo on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy: Aiyriryiayfiayria down.

Hate: Our mages suck at sheeping the trash before Freya. I wound up tanking most of it.

JustinSane07 on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What is there to sheep?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you can banish some of the trash before Freya, but I'm pretty sure none of them are sheepable.

reVerse on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate looking for people for an instance on my days off {Monday/Tuesday} they are either not around, winding down from a week of raiding or finishing up a raid sigh

Brainleech on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    I think you can banish some of the trash before Freya, but I'm pretty sure none of them are sheepable.

You can sheep the two centaur fellows.

Dhalphir on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy: My 10-man. It reminds me of the fun I used to have in bear runs. Our resto druid was out of town this week so me and the shaman two-healed almost every hard mode (except Mimiron, which we haven't got down yet, and Thorim, just because one of our DPS had to leave early on Friday and the only person online we could drag in was a healer). I thought Freya and Vezax in particular would suck, but they were fine, maybe even easier than usual. Vezax was hilarious cos we had our 25-man DK tank in for this week, so he just tanked it without kiting, and between that and the extra DPSer the fight went so fast.

Sad: Our resto shaman is going away for two months for a research project thing, which is great for him, but makes me sad cos we're just short Firefighter to get drakes, and it would have been cool to get all ten at once.

riz on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hate:

I have seriously run Heroic Nexus damn near every day for the past month. The delicious plate mail belt? Won't drop. I have seen it ONCE, and got out rolled for it. Never again since.

Happy:

Took a guildmate of mine with us on this failboat, she walked away with three upgrades!

mrsnackroad on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy: Got to try raid healing an alt 10 man Naxx this past weekend

Sad: Went with our normal priest and a pretty well geared holy priest, so I was bored for most of the fights. A couple of times, I just shielded the entire raid because I was so bored.

Sadx2: I got 3 upgrades: 2 cloth pieces with hit (>.<) and a necklace. Of the 2 tokens that dropped, I was out rolled on both.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Annoying: People from the other faction who sit in the Hellfire Fortifications until they arrow is all the way to the side of the bar just so that the other faction has to waste extra time to get the credit for that daily.

Seg on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Annoying: Can't get a group for Nexus or Utgarde Keep on my 72 warrior.
    Happy: Arms is much nicer than fury.

Rizzi on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    Annoying: People from the other faction who sit in the Hellfire Fortifications until they arrow is all the way to the side of the bar just so that the other faction has to waste extra time to get the credit for that daily.

Especially since they're indirectly making it that much harder for people of their own faction to complete the quest.

To be fair, it's entirely possible they're just AFKing since it takes forever to capture those stupid things.

Smasher on
    edited June 2009
    Fuckin' finally: Mark of the War Prisoner on my warlock.

Rizzi on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy:

Helm of Gothik and shield of kel get, now I don't have a shitty 10 man helm and an ugly patchwerk shield.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2009
    Hate: working the 4am shift.
    Hatex2: coming home to serves down.

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited June 2009
    That is shitty. I'd figure the absolute best time to not affect a huge swath of people would be monday morning about 5:00am EST, which translates into 2:00am PST. This way you're kind of on the way side with the late night sunday people while just hitting the tail of the monday morning people.

Tuesday morning between the hours of 8:00am EST and 3:00pm EST seems like one of the most retarded maintenance schedules ever.

I don't care if their "statistics" showed that during the beta load testing experiment that this was the least played time. Also, I'd like to see some statistics more than "I'm running around Dalaran" and "I'm actually doing something besides spamming trade about anal rend!"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2009
    How hard would it be to do maintence at 5am on tuesday morning :V

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • PerytonPeryton Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seething Hate: We put our 2nd week of attempts into Algalon last night. As we pulled him the first time, the world server crashes, so when we wipe everyone is kicked from the server. We log back in and three of the people get the message that their character is online already, so we lose 20~ minutes of 60 holding our dicks. Unbelievably frustrating.

Hate: A few attempts after that the few new people we were using were comfortable with it and we have a good attempt with two flawless big bangs, and then a tank gets gibbed and we wipe at 40%. The next attempt we are at 23% and one of the tanks doesn't notice the void zone under him and gets hit with a comet and dies. It shifts into phase two at 20% which is the easy part if your whole group is up, but the other tank that was supposed to get taunted off of by the now dead tank already has three stacks of the phase shift attack, and shortly after gets two more and is shifted out and Algalon one shots everyone else one by one. Full wipe at 8% on a boss that "dies" at 4%.... :(

Hope: We go back tonight, servers work correctly, and we drop him.

Peryton on
    edited June 2009

Well the midnight owls in California are still playing!

bowen on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy as all get out: On 6/8 I got the follow....

50th Stone Keeper Shard
    100th Emblem of Heroism,
    The Drake from H CoS....and epic Mail caster legs on the same run (bye bye rare leather)
    1st Emblem of Conquest (FL one shotted and then we promptly got rolled on next two bosses tries...multiple times....each)

All in all a good day for me. I didn't even mind the repair bills.

Decoy on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bowen wrote: »

5 am PST is 10 pm in Brisbane if I remember correctly (depending on DST). And since server maintenance for the US/Canada servers also takes down the Oceanic servers...it would hit them just about during prime time.

For those of you wondering about this Brisbane place, it's a city on a landmass called Australia. It was settled by the English. Upon being exposed to sunlight for the first time the English became a weird fusion of England and California. It has such a sunny and tropical climate that upon being informed that everything on the landmass is poisonous (except the beer which is water) their response was "No worries".

From the Wikipedia page for it:
    It's hot. It's dry... very dry. There was this thing called once called The Wet, which no one now believes in. Practically everything that's not poisonous is venomous. But it's the best bloody place in the world, all right?

Thomamelas on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time I see some show on Discovery about some horrifying deadly insect or reptile, it's always found in Australia. I don't know how you Aussies do it. Everything on land on your continent is poisonous, and everything in the surrounding water will either sting the shit out of you or just straight up eat you.

Seems like a beautiful place honestly, but I will only ever visit there if I can be inside a suit of steel armor with flamethrowers attached to the wrists.

Halfmex on
    edited June 2009
    Just stay out of the bush and you'll be fine.
    And the water.
    And don't go sitting under any trees.
    Kidding.
    Or am I?
    Heh. Did you know that even the Platypus is venomous?

Rizzi on
    edited June 2009

5 am PST is 10 pm in Brisbane if I remember correctly (depending on DST). And since server maintenance for the US/Canada servers also takes down the Oceanic servers...it would hit them just about during prime time.

For those of you wondering about this Brisbane place, it's a city on a landmass called Australia. It was settled by the English. Upon being exposed to sunlight for the first time the English became a weird fusion of England and California. It has such a sunny and tropical climate that upon being informed that everything on the landmass is poisonous (except the beer which is water) their response was "No worries".

From the Wikipedia page for it:
    It's hot. It's dry... very dry. There was this thing called once called The Wet, which no one now believes in. Practically everything that's not poisonous is venomous. But it's the best bloody place in the world, all right?

Or, an even better idea would be to cycle servers and perform maintenance based on time zones. That way you don't overload your maintenance team with a bazillion servers needing a hotfix to get them up and you can prepare for upcoming issues without taking down everything for 14 hours.

bowen on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Every time I see some show on Discovery about some horrifying deadly insect or reptile, it's always found in Australia. I don't know how you Aussies do it. Everything on land on your continent is poisonous, and everything in the surrounding water will either sting the shit out of you or just straight up eat you.

Seems like a beautiful place honestly, but I will only ever visit there if I can be inside a suit of steel armor with flamethrowers attached to the wrists.

Most of those reptiles are found within the 95% of Australia that is not widely inhabited.

Its not as if you drive past a paddock in the middle of the city and see someone tending a herd of poisonous spiders.

Dhalphir on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well Australia just got a lot less cooler. Thanks, Dhal.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He left off the part about it being pointless to wrangle them, as the spiders are probably already hiding in your vehicle.

ReaperSMS on
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Or, an even better idea would be to cycle servers and perform maintenance based on time zones. That way you don't overload your maintenance team with a bazillion servers needing a hotfix to get them up and you can prepare for upcoming issues without taking down everything for 14 hours.

Which is great until multiple battlegroups go down in flames during maintenance and don't come back on time...meaning all the people with nothing else to do flock to open servers (and meanwhile several others are going down to start their maintenance period). If it gets bad enough, they just end up ruining the stability of the servers that are running at that time.

Bliz is right to not cycle it. You see what happens when even 20 or so servers go down...people apparently have nothing better to do, so they flood anything that is available.

(Although, hey, I wouldn't complain if they found a solution that works better. They've had plenty of time to think of something.)

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    edited June 2009
    Or your shoes.

Rizzi on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Except that quite a few of the older servers that were pre-Oceanic still have large populations of Aussies and Kiwis. Tuesday during the day is going to annoy the least. Even switching to a rotating schedual is going to give you the complaint of "Stupid downtime, Server X is up, why can't server Y be up".
    Most of those reptiles are found within the 95% of Australia that is not widely inhabited.

The people of Australia are a wily people. Note that this statement doesn't include insects/spiders, mammals or aquatic animals.

Thomamelas on
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy: just pulled an Orb of Deception out of a green lock box.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Heh. Did you know that even the Platypus is venomous?
    That right there was one that shocked the hell out of me. Platypus (platypi?) are a hilarious mish-mash of already-existent creatures to begin with, and then I see some special about how they have these barbs on their back feet (females only, right?) with this unbelievably toxic venom that will fuck you up sideways if you get...stung? Stuck? Whatever it is these things do to you.

Its not as if you drive past a paddock in the middle of the city and see someone tending a herd of poisonous spiders.
    Oh I know, just a bit of hyperbole on my part, but still, being able to say "this country has the top 8 of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world!" doesn't do a lot to assuage any fears.

And don't those super-aggressive, super-poisonous funnel web spiders live near homes?

Faux-edit: I guess they don't live near homes, but they do frequently wander into them:
    The Sydney funnel-web spider is one of the most dangerous spiders in the world and will defend itself aggressively if threatened or frightened. For this reason, humans are strongly advised not to approach them. Chances of being bitten are high if encountered, and bites can be lethal within 40 minutes if not treated. An antivenom is available, and no fatalities have been reported since its introduction.[5]. Professionals should be contacted to remove one found indoors; outdoors the spiders should simply be left alone.

The bite of a Funnel-web spider affects the neuromuscular junction between human motor neurons and muscle cells, opening sodium channels. This affects the body's ability to repolarize cell interiors.
    I mean god damn.

Halfmex on
    edited June 2009
    I have lived in Australia my entire life, and I have encountered a dangerous spider a handful of times, and a poisonous snake once, out on my grandfather's farm.

Dhalphir on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just picture Sydney with a wall of snakes/lizards/spiders/poisonous things patrolling the border, waiting to kill anyone who crosses the line.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited June 2009

Except that quite a few of the older servers that were pre-Oceanic still have large populations of Aussies and Kiwis. Tuesday during the day is going to annoy the least. Even switching to a rotating schedual is going to give you the complaint of "Stupid downtime, Server X is up, why can't server Y be up".

Disable character creation.

Allow free moves, and/or switch it to an Oceanic server.

In terms of "what the fuck" I'm sure they and you would rather deal with "Server X is up and Y is down" rather than "Why the fuck isn't any server up yet, it's almost 8 pm PST!?"

And the battlegroups are usually all part of the same cluster of servers, in the same colocation (A problem with one server means there's a problem with the whole cluster apparently because of their patching mechanism). If one's down, they're all down, if you haven't noticed.

bowen on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    I just picture Sydney with a wall of snakes/lizards/spiders/poisonous things patrolling the border, waiting to kill anyone who crosses the line.

I find it funny you guys are discussing this because I just read an article about Australia's seven deadliest creatures.

Hate: This fucking thing.
    nm_SydneyFunnelWebSpider_090608_mn.jpg

Edit: I didn't read close enough. I see you guys are discussing the spider already.

tallgeeze on
    edited June 2009
    Fuck funnel web spiders right in their numerous eyes.

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.