As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I saw from the gameplay video that you don't dump your primary weapon when you grab a melee weapon. That's kind of strange.

You pick up a melee weapon like you would a gas can or something now, and when you want to switch back to your weapons you have to drop it

That's dumb, beating people to death with PROPANE cans was the best. Giving people instant kill melee weapons feels overpowered (especially in making the boomer useless at harassment attacks that burn up survivor ammo), unless the infected are getting similarly cranked up in power.

Obligatory
    28007159_hank-hill.jpg

Robman on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope the content pack has unlocks. Or maybe a campaign. That would make me feel a little better. I was really hoping to see more weapons. I remember when we were in Beta, and that ad at the end was like "10 WEAPONS", only to discover this somehow means, pistols, dual-pistols, shotgun, uzi, rifle, auto-shotty, assault rifle, molotavs, pipe bombs, and the minigun. I mean, yeah, they're all weapons, and 10 is a good number, but I was hoping for a little more variety to develop.

As much as I would like to play with some new weapons (and I would, dont get me wrong) I hesitate to think of what could be added that isnt simply another model of assualt rifle/shotgun.

A flamethrower could be fun but its ammo or firing time/cooldown would have to be crazy long as to not make it overpowered. Maybe a crossbow that could penetrate any amount of zombies but have a long reload time. huntsmanlol

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They're all going to buy it anyway

Eh, to be honest I enjoyed L4D plenty, but I'm sceptical I'm going to buy this, or at least not straight away.

Unless the community shifts wholsale onto L4D2 I'm not sure I see the point, because all the video footage has just looked like L4D with a New Orleans skin as far as I've been able to see.

I was really expecting them to take their time and make a real evolution of the game. Which it could still be, but if it's not, then I don't see much point in bothering.
    :P

subedii on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    back-to-the-future-delorean.jpg

Marty!...

No doc he did that on purpose

Blasted machine!

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I saw from the gameplay video that you don't dump your primary weapon when you grab a melee weapon. That's kind of strange.

You pick up a melee weapon like you would a gas can or something now, and when you want to switch back to your weapons you have to drop it

That's dumb, beating people to death with PROPANE cans was the best. Giving people instant kill melee weapons feels overpowered (especially in making the boomer useless at harassment attacks that burn up survivor ammo), unless the infected are getting similarly cranked up in power.

Obligatory
    28007159_hank-hill.jpg

It doesn't sound that bad. If it works that way, then only one or two people should really be hauling around a melee weapon, or it becomes just as annoying as those guys who carry that propane tank everywhere going, "BUT MAYBE WE'LL NEED IT." It would get pretty tiring waiting for everyone to find their melee weapons after a scuff with special infected just so they can handle hoards without burning ammo. So unless those one or two guys can keep the mindless infected off of everyone, bullets will still be wasted. Although I do hope they make ammo more scarce, I didn't like that I almost never ran out of ammo.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will take a team of survivors through it all with only axes

Real men don't need guns

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Obligatory
    28007159_hank-hill.jpg

It doesn't sound that bad. If it works that way, then only one or two people should really be hauling around a melee weapon, or it becomes just as annoying as those guys who carry that propane tank everywhere going, "BUT MAYBE WE'LL NEED IT." It would get pretty tiring waiting for everyone to find their melee weapons after a scuff with special infected just so they can handle hoards without burning ammo. So unless those one or two guys can keep the mindless infected off of everyone, bullets will still be wasted. Although I do hope they make ammo more scarce, I didn't like that I almost never ran out of ammo.

No throwables.

Melee only.

Final destination.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really glad it's implemented like that. I was worried they were adding those items as like a third slot thing you can switch to if you run out of ammo, which would have been dumb I think

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno. I think the content sounds great, but a sequel. I don't think it is the time, nor do the changes warrant another 50 bucks. Sorry, but I will likely play the other awesome games that will certainly be out at that time.

Besides, I was really hoping for some more new content for L4D1. And I still like the maps on it. I don't really want to never play them again (which will likely be the case since L4D2 is entirely stand-alone as it appears).

I am surprised. I am disappointed in Valve. This isn't like them. Episodic gameplay and sales could have been applied to L4D.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I hope the content pack has unlocks. Or maybe a campaign. That would make me feel a little better. I was really hoping to see more weapons. I remember when we were in Beta, and that ad at the end was like "10 WEAPONS", only to discover this somehow means, pistols, dual-pistols, shotgun, uzi, rifle, auto-shotty, assault rifle, molotavs, pipe bombs, and the minigun. I mean, yeah, they're all weapons, and 10 is a good number, but I was hoping for a little more variety to develop.

As much as I would like to play with some new weapons (and I would, dont get me wrong) I hesitate to think of what could be added that isnt simply another model of assualt rifle/shotgun.

A flamethrower could be fun but its ammo or firing time/cooldown would have to be crazy long as to not make it overpowered. Maybe a crossbow that could penetrate any amount of zombies but have a long reload time. huntsmanlol

I was thinking something like a magnum that is a cross between the rifle and the pistols, like it would be as accurate as a pistol, maybe a little weaker than the sniper rifle but still able to punch through multiple zombies and walls, can't zoom, but doesn't lose all accuracy if you fire it while moving. Things like that to add more variety to the mix than, short range, medium range, long range. I'm sure variant weapons have been discussed to hell and back in previous L4D threads, but that was just something off the top of my head.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I guess that's partly why the infected have been made tougher (at least that's what some of the descriptions I've read have said). Regular weapons seem far preferable to melee if the infected are going to be dropped just as easily as they were before.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I think they balanced it right in some parts where you'll only run out of ammo if the infected team slows you up enough. Running out of bullets during regular play is antifun and against the design of a zombie shooter, not a zombie survival game. But I do agree that for the most part ammo was a bit plentiful.

A good balance would be where you have an "ideal" time to complete, where you end with about 20% ammo. That means that moving 20% slower then you should be due to infected interference will run your ass dry, making delaying tactics much more powerful then they currently are.

Robman on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just realized that the "Boycott L4D2!" movement is a blessing in disguise. The people involved are probably the players who annoy me the most. The ragequitters, team killers, and griefers. L4D2 will be better without them.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Dr.TongueDr.Tongue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I just realized that the "Boycott L4D2!" movement is a blessing in disguise. The people involved are probably the players who annoy me the most. The ragequitters, team killers, and griefers. L4D2 will be better without them.

Yeah I doubt all the people who are boycotting are ragequitters, team killers, and griefers.

No need to label a bunch of people who disagree with you as bad dudes.

Dr.Tongue on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I feel like drawing parallels between the effort to label anyone who talks about 9/11 in a questioning manner as a TRUTHER on par with the chicken-wire burning fuckwits but this line of reasoning is more retarded then a 13 year old on XBL.

Robman on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honestly, given the work that was put into Left 4 Dead, and the work that's being put into Left 4 Dead 2 (plus having to pay for new voice actors), I don't fault them wanting to charge for it.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    I will take a team of survivors through it all with only axes

Real men don't need guns

One of my fondest memories of the game was from the Demo, when I and 3 other intrepid adventurers began testing to see just how far we could get using melee attacks. It went pretty well. I think we were on advanced difficulty, pretty sure it wasn't expert. It was, however, funny as hell at the time.

lolmeleelol, etc.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dr.Tongue wrote: »

Yeah I doubt all the people who are boycotting are ragequitters, team killers, and griefers.

I'm not lumping in people who don't want to buy the game. I understand that. It's just this particular movement, since organizing a "boycott" is a bit hyperbolic and mawkish.

Considering the tone they've used to air their "grievances" on the Steam forums then yeah, I don't think I'm far out of bounds here :mrgreen:

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I feel like drawing parallels between the effort to label anyone who talks about 9/11 in a questioning manner as a TRUTHER on par with the chicken-wire burning fuckwits but this line of reasoning is more retarded then a 13 year old on XBL.

Anyone who wants to boycott a video game for their stated reasons is demonstrating clear signs of immaturity and self-involvement. Like.....really? A sequel to a video game gets you so riled up that you feel the need to start a boycott? Don't you have better things to do with your time and energy?

So yes, I'll be much, much happier if they don't play.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I'm not lumping in people who don't want to buy the game. I understand that. It's just this particular movement, since organizing a "boycott" is a bit hyperbolic and mawkish.

Considering the tone they've used to air their "grievances" on the Steam forums then yeah, I don't think I'm far out of bounds here :mrgreen:

I really don't think ragequitters and tk'ers are the type of people to boycott a sequel. If anything they're the cock-gobbling retards who fall for lazy marketing and want L4D3 to be more like Gears of War.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »

I really don't think ragequitters and tk'ers are the type of people to boycott a sequel. If anything they're the cock-gobbling retards who fall for lazy marketing and want L4D3 to be more like Gears of War.

Either way, it's fine by me :^:

sanstodo on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    it's ok cause I've never played with you ever, so I'll keep my judgement of someone open, instead of grouping people you don't even know like that.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For all of you now afraid of Youtube comments, use this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7115

Antithesis on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »

Nice so I can filter out 90% of all youtube comments? For what purpose does this serve?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Nice so I can filter out 90% of all youtube comments? For what purpose does this serve?

Filtering out 90% of youtube comments.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I've gotten at least 10 game and movie endings spoiled for me from youtube comments that don't even relate to said movies and games

that said i'm already downloading it

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I would pay extra for L4D2 if VALVe put something into place so anyone who is in the steam boycott group couldn't buy it. I think we'd see the group thin a bit after that was known.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I would pay extra for L4D2 if VALVe put something into place so anyone who is in the steam boycott group couldn't buy it. I think we'd see the group thin a bit after that was known.

lol, I second this notion. Brilliant!

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That would be hilarious.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That would be hilarious.

You can bet good money there would be a boycott for that too.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Obviously there needs to be a boycott group for playing with people on the boycott lists

Robman on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am bored to tears with these pub players. Does anybody here still play this fairly regularly on the 360? I am in dire need of playing with some competent players. I promise I don't suck.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Get it on pc and join armadeaddon chat, where the true believers still gather in numbers

Everyone in chat loves the idea of l4d2 and will buy it day one, without exception

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Intersting observation

Rain + Tank = fireproof tank

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am bored to tears with these pub players. Does anybody here still play this fairly regularly on the 360? I am in dire need of playing with some competent players. I promise I don't suck.

I'm pretty certain there's a 360 group going, but I don't know the details. I think they're relatively active. Last I heard was that the group filled up and they were clearing out some of the inactive players.

Saw this quoted in the OP of one of the early threads.
    Xbox Live Gamertag Group - PA L4D

Send a friend invite to PA L4D to be entered into this group. We'll use this gamertag as a central hub for the 360, just like the steam group. I doubt we'll exceed 100, but if we do we'll figure that out when we get there.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Intersting observation

Fireproof tank + a good quadboom = team ragequit by survivors

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Steam down?

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Get it on pc and join armadeaddon chat, where the true believers still gather in numbers

Everyone in chat loves the idea of l4d2 and will buy it day one, without exception

Don't lie to the kid :lol:

Intersting observation

Could be interesting, lets see how often that can be a counter to incendiary ammo.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That would be hilarious.

You can bet good money there would be a boycott for that too.

They should just record all the Steam IDs of the boycott group, then when they buy the game anyway give them a unique insulting achievement.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They're all going to buy it anyway

I think Valve should make it to where they physically CAN'T play the game. It would be funny.

And, that's what I get for not reading the last few posts before posting...

As for weapons, keep in mind that they also have to be balanced against the DICKS that are going to set their own teammates on fire, etc.

So, while I rocket launcher or grenade launcher or flamethrower sounds cool, I can assure you it would be hard to do because of FF.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA