As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Futurama - Bender's back, baby!

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Most of the episodes were good. There are only a couple really bad ones I can think of:

The Honking - Bender turns into the Werecar
    The one with Zoidberg's Uncle

I agree with this, and even the lesser episodes (like those noted) usually have a clever moment or two.

Can't wait to see some new episodes.

"Let the earthquake come, I've got somebodies Oscar!"

ronzo on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    :D

:D:D

The movies were good (first and fourth were awesome.) More Futurama will be great. Though I'd want a little more than a rumor that it's actually happening before celebrating.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    YES
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    The movies were good (first and fourth were awesome.)

Agreed.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Inter_d wrote: »
    fuck all of you guys, i liked the movies.

granted, i can't stand to watch them more than once but the one time i viewed them, i liked them.

my real worry is that the show is going to go the way of family guy and the quality will just sink to shit. seriously, fuck Seth mcfarlane. right in his ass.

What's funny about that is while Family Guy's quality has been going down, American Dad's has been going way up. Me thinks Seth is working harder on AD than he is on FG and someone else is running the FG ship these days. Someone less talented.

But to take this back to Futurama, what you said is indicative of the movie's suck. If they were good, you could watch them more than once.

You've got it backwards actually. Seth never would have been able to keep himself from turning Roger as the Decider into a Bush joke.

Besides, if he ever stopped working so hard on Family Guy they'd have to think of a new role for Brian than "Seth McFarlane as a dog."

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Inter_d wrote: »
    fuck all of you guys, i liked the movies.

granted, i can't stand to watch them more than once but the one time i viewed them, i liked them.

my real worry is that the show is going to go the way of family guy and the quality will just sink to shit. seriously, fuck Seth mcfarlane. right in his ass.

What's funny about that is while Family Guy's quality has been going down, American Dad's has been going way up. Me thinks Seth is working harder on AD than he is on FG and someone else is running the FG ship these days. Someone less talented.

But to take this back to Futurama, what you said is indicative of the movie's suck. If they were good, you could watch them more than once.

You've got it backwards actually. Seth never would have been able to keep himself from turning Roger as the Decider into a Bush joke.

Besides, if he ever stopped working so hard on Family Guy they'd have to think of a new role for Brian than "Seth McFarlane as a dog."

This. AD is likely as good as it is because of how little McFarlane involvement there is.

TubularLuggage on
  • evilintentevilintent Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    /toomuchjoytocontain
    /faint
    /wetself
    /smilepassedoutinpuddleofownurine

evilintent on
    6a00d83451c45669e2011571303907970b-.jpg
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is the best news I've heard all week.

I don't know what you guys are going on about, I loved the movies. Except Beast, I wasn't a huge fan of that one.

SirUltimos on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only problem with the movies was that the series ended with "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings." That episode was wonderful on so many levels and was really a perfect end to the series. I guess what I'm getting at is that it was a tough act to follow.

I liked the movies, and I'll be watching whatever new futurama gets made for sure.

My favorite movie was the first one. Not a huge fan of the nudists, but for the Leela-Fry relationship development.

Come to think of it, I'm kinda annoyed that they just ignored the character development in the first movie when the made 2-4. I was hoping we'd actually see progress because it wasn't a TV show anymore.

fshavlak on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Is this a new move for Comedy Central? I know they have started their own series or shown series which are in syndication. But has Comedy Central every picked up a show which was canceled on another network and paid for more episodes?

MST3K is the only other series I can think of for which Comedy Central paid for new episodes.

_J_ on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought the movies where great. Except Benders Game. I didn't like that one.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    My eyes are very close to tearing up I'm fucking serious! This show has so much sentimental value for me, I love it, best news of 2009!

You Americans please give this high viewer ratings so we can keep it forever and ever and ever!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree, please keep the ratings up guys. I command it.

So happy its back to episodes. I liked Bender's Big Score a lot, but i'm just so so about the others.

Just hope to god something similar happens to arrested development, with the movie hopefully drumming up more attention.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hooray! Best news all day!

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sweet

Senjutsu on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    You Americans please give this high viewer ratings so we can keep it forever and ever and ever!

Give us free health care and we'll supply you with more episodes.

emnmnme on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy shit.

IT'S CONFIRMED!

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's a very visible descending line of quality in the movies (no wait, Green Yonder was still better then the awful Bender's Game), and I didn't think any of them was very funny to begin with, but at least they did go to some unexpected places with the story in the first two.

And what the hell guys, no way is The Honking one of the bad episodes. You're all crazy lunatics.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, i'll back that up. The Honking episode is good.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always love hearing people's opinions on the show/movies.. Because save for the REALLY high points, everyone is mixed on what is good and bad. I've seen this phenomenon emerge with a lot of high quality shows, to be honest. It probably has to do with the reference point and relativity. After all, even mediocre Futurama is so much better than most shit out there, so when people dis on something it has to be taken from that perspective.

I loved all 4 movies. I loved most of the show, save for the two near-death experiences ones that were so close to each other.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know one near-death episode was the Honey Bee one, but what was the other one?

Robos A Go Go on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know one near-death episode was the Honey Bee one, but what was the other one?

Bender and the X-1.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, hold on, first it was 13 from Comedy Central, now it's 26 from Fox? What's going on?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's a very visible descending line of quality in the movies (no wait, Green Yonder was still better then the awful Bender's Game), and I didn't think any of them was very funny to begin with, but at least they did go to some unexpected places with the story in the first two.

So far as I'm concerned, the Futurama movie order of greatness goes:

Beast with a Billion Backs > Bender's Game > Bender's Big Score > Into the Wild Green Yonder

I didn't like BBS the first time I saw it, mostly because it felt more like Fan Service than a standlone story in its own right, but also because it caused irreparable damage to two of the series' most endearing episodes ("Jurassic Bark" and "The Luck of the Fryrish"). Bender's Game was a lot of fun, save for one or two jokes that felt like they'd been stretched too far.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I appreciate what it did to Jurassic Bark, Seymour didn't need to die old and alone.

DarkWarrior on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Between this and the Arrested Development movie, I suddenly feel like there is something resembling balance in the universe.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good job, Fox.

Now bring back Firefly.

The Lord of Hats on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WAT.

FUCKING RIGHT

(To be fair, I've yet to buy the last three movie/DVDs, but I'll be remedying that very soon.)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I enjoyed all of them except for Bender's Game...that one didn't feel enough like Futurama.

Synthesis on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember really enjoying maybe the first half of Big Score, but the 2nd half took a nose dive and the following movies, while still fun to watch, just weren't really that good IMO

but eh, opinions and assholes.

VoodooV on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I think I enjoyed all of them except for Bender's Game...that want didn't feel enough like Futurama.
    Only in the same manner that "The Sting" didn't feel like Futurama.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
    edited June 2009
    The greatest part of BBS for me was that it didn't change the continuity of Jurrasik Bark at all.. I mean, we never saw Seymour die, and it really did make no sense whatsoever that he got flash fossilized. So suddenly, with BBS, we have the holes plugged in, including why he hung out at Pannuchi's so much.

I mean, come on guys, they've had the show's continuity planned for a decade now (well, loosely), so do you think they'd do anything lightly?

Such as seeing the whale oil gauge in Wild Green Yonder.

Athenor on
    edited June 2009
    Wait, hold on, first it was 13 from Comedy Central, now it's 26 from Fox? What's going on?

Agreed. What the fuck IS going on?

_J_ on
    edited June 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

Fox produces/bankrolls it, and technically owns it. Comedy Central has broadcast rights and placed the "order."

Athenor on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Matt Groening is OWNED by Fox.

Edith Upwards on
    edited June 2009
    Athenor wrote: »

Fox produces/bankrolls it, and technically owns it. Comedy Central has broadcast rights and placed the "order."

So how many episodes is it?

_J_ on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The 26-episode order from Comedy Central was preceded by four feature-length original "Futurama" specials: "Bender's Big Score," "The Beast With a Billion Backs," "Bender's Game" and "Into the Wild Green Yonder," which have done well on DVD and on Comedy Central. (The most recent special, "Yonder," premieres on Comedy Central in September.)

Comedy Central was happy with the specials and with the 72 produced episodes of "Futurama" it acquired from 20th Century Fox TV in 2006.

Storyline-wise, the new episodes will pick up where the most recent DVD special, "Yonder," took off

Reuters.

Where is anybody getting Fox from? Some blog?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Boner so hard.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hold up the two Bender movies are Fantastic. Maybe because they are in fact hilarious.

Beast is garbage. Complete waste of David Cross. When they said he was the " monster" I expected him to be you know funny. Nope they made him this generic super being that anyone could have played.

Haven't seen Yonder yet.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So glad to read that this was confirmed early this morning. Was coming here to post about it but the news has already spread.

Good news everyone indeed.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2009
    goodnewseveryonepic3258.jpg

Spoilered for large image, not an actual spoiler.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png