As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do you do in a VAST UNIVERSE? Blow stuff up! Browser game invasion!

MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Explore the universe for SCIENCE!

Vast Universe is a browser based online, web-based, massively multiplayer 4x game.
  • Build stuff!
  • Research shit!
  • Huge universe to crack some skulls in!
  • Space and land battles.
  • Tech tree!
  • Custom ship designs!
  • Naked women (check other browser tab)

More detailed:
It is all based around planet you have colonies on. You build structure, research stuff, and build ships. All ships are based on custom plans you design.
There is a full research tree and structure requirement tree.
All in all, a pretty damn complete experience.

It is still pretty new. Only the Something Awful Goons are on here presently. They are pretty much the largest single group so they could end up are biggest competition.
There are a ton of random pubbies to slaughter. Also the universe is huge so you will likely start in a safe space. Also, you can't lose a planet only lose resource stockpiles.

Free of course (I am a cheap bastard).

Register?
http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register
That is the main registration link.
They have a support system based on referrals or paypal donation. You can get a deeper build queue by used support points. Pretty handy. Consequently, we might have a referral link list eventually. Referrals are pretty annoying though. That said, I will have mine in my sig.

steam_sig.png
Machismo on

• Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Meh, I'm in the mood for another empire/country management browser game. I guess I'm in. Are there any alliances/guilds/teams?

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got a database error when I tried to pick a starting planet. Yay!

theSquid on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Registered but am getting same database error when i pick a planet

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Registered but am getting same database error when i pick a planet

keep trying different types. i'm on a metal planet. surprisingly my farms still work fine haha. the cornucopia planet seems to always fail when trying to colonize it

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am not sure how planet types effect the various production rates. From what I understand though, ENERGY is the most important resource. There is a structure you get late early game that allows you to make all the other resources (except money) from energy. It is pretty effective. That said, I find myself needing organic perpetually.

Also, it is pretty easy to make your first few colonies. They are cheap, so all you need is a shipyard. Abvoe a certain point it starts to get pretty expensive. I know it is preposterously expensive near 9 or 10 with a few people in the teens.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jagerboltjagerbolt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just started out with a Paradise planet. There is a fleet orbiting the planet by another player, I wonder if I just took someone's planned future colony? Oh well, mine now!

jagerbolt on
    d89dcff329912a4f.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    jagerbolt wrote: »
    I just started out with a Paradise planet. There is a fleet orbiting the planet by another player, I wonder if I just took someone's planned future colony? Oh well, mine now!

Well done. Ya, probably so or they used it as a staging area. Although, I have launched fleets out and forgot about them for a day or so. Perhaps the player quit.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is there a PA federation yet? I just built an embassy.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    rats, I just started playing another browser based 4x game called Ogame. I can't possibly manage both. . . or can I?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    rats, I just started playing another browser based 4x game called Ogame. I can't possibly manage both. . . or can I?

You totally can.

Also, just established my first colony, the great land of Dixteria.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    anyone have any tips for stat distribution?

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    anyone have any tips for stat distribution?

I just went with the standard, save for bumping up resource generation a bit at the expense of ship speed.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i started out and just put a bunch of building upgrades in the queue... is there anything else to do at this point?

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i started out and just put a bunch of building upgrades in the queue... is there anything else to do at this point?

You should probably work towards building a university first and foremost (as that allows you to research technologies and such), in addition to working on pumping up your resource generation to keep up with development.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You should probably work towards building a university first and foremost (as that allows you to research technologies and such), in addition to working on pumping up your resource generation to keep up with development.

Yea, you can get any one colony to generate a thousand or so of each resource within a couple of days. Try to keep research going because it adds bonuses to construction rates, research rates, and more as well as unlocking new structures and stuff.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The people of Romeon would like to extend their hand in... uugh... a hi5 pact.

I didn't know I could pick an initial planet so I settled on an asteroid moon. I guess I'll just say that my people are very tough and all that jazz.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    Captain ActionCaptain Action Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm trying out an energy eating race. They have crappy ships but great colony stats.

Captain Action on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm trying out an energy eating race. They have crappy ships but great colony stats.

I'm going with Mineral Consumption!

e: Awww... I was going to try for mineral zerg by putting my ship abilities down to 1 and my production through the roof, but the lowest is 5 and the highest is 15... Guess I'll be mineral mini-zerg.

e2: My little asteroid moon thing is located at Star (0:-2) - Planet (0:-2:42). Wherever that is.

e3: Last one tonight, I promise! There is a crystal moon in the system I'm in... it will be mine! Oh yes, it will be mine!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ok, got my university up, and 6 hours worth of research queued. I'll just shove my support link in here and we can link chain. Just post after you use my link, with your link, and we can all chain together for added support.

Vast Universe Crystal Spiders Linky

Dyvion on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll jump in.

energy consumption 1
    mineral consumption 2
    Adaptivity                   Population growth on your bases            110 %
    Resource output              Resource output rate over your bases       110 %
    Research efficiency          Research rate at your bases               130 %
    Developing efficiency        Developing rate of your bases              100 %
    Ship building efficiency      Rate of ships building at your bases      100 %
    Fleet Speed                  Travelling speed of your fleets            80 %
    Weapons Power                Power of your ship and base weapons      100 %
    Armor                        Durability of your ships                  70 %
    Shields                      Shield protection your ships              150 %
    Scanner                      Range of your scanners                    50 %

Look good?

Oh, for the love of pete, I can not make that line up nicely. I tried copying it from notepad, from the page itself, from the preview... bleh.

Got the database error in Opera, worked in FF.
    I'm in -21:15.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like to put resource output to 150% since resources are usually the limiting factor in the early game.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Braincow wrote: »
    I like to put resource output to 150% since resources are usually the limiting factor in the early game.

Resources seem to perpetually be a limiting factor. Since there is no limit to fleet size or number of colonies, it is all about if you can make enough dough to do more.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My Embassy is up and running, if anyone's made a Federation.

Tamin on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, Narrfeueur has been conceived at Star (-14:9) - Planet (-14:9:22). I've queued up the basic stuff to build, might check back in a couple hours. We'll see if I stick with this - I'm having flashbacks to Ikariam and wondering if I want to go through all of that again.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So... I can build a ship now. I just don't have the resources for it. My next few builds will probably be two levels of each resource producing building. (I currently have level 4 power plant, level 4 farm, and level 5 mines. And they are not enough!) Also, there is a [Noog] probe floating around my little asteroid moon. I'm researching projectile cannon -just- so I can blow it up.

On a side note, has anyone colonized another planet yet? Do you have to send people units with the ship to do it... or is just a colonization module enough? Logically I would think you would need a colonization module, an engine, life support and probably cargo? But I'm not sure how logical the game is yet.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I started an account using Machismo's support link.

We're supposed to post our own support links, too, right?

Support Link

I'm sitting at Star -5:10, Planet -5:10:40. Is that ElJeffe's planet I see right next to me? I don't have access to any ships just yet. I took penalties to my research, build speed, ship speed, and scanner range in order to buff my resource production, facility development, population growth, and weapon power.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am located at 6:5:61. My name is Gentian and my home planet is Reunion. I've wanted to get into another browser space empire game for awhile now, this one looks interesting and fresh so you can count me in if any of you decide to stick around for awhile.

I've got my first probe up and shooting around the nearby stars and healthy amount of resources coming in for now.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll try this out. Just registered using Dyvion's link.

Dunno if I'll stick around around after the premium status expires, though, so for anyone interesting on jumping on the referral train, I'll pass the last car status to
    Skulkraken's support link.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    I'll try this out. Just registered using Dyvion's link.

Dunno if I'll stick around around after the premium status expires, though, so for anyone interesting on jumping on the referral train, I'll pass the last car status to
    Skulkraken's support link.

With the support points you get to start, you can add premium time to your account (costs 12 points) and when your referred person hits 80 population, you get 20 more points, so that's even more premium time, plus you get 4 points for a shipyard, and 4 for a university... so that's at least 3 more rounds of premium time.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Note to Self: When building a Colony Ship... include Cargo Holds for taking materials with you.

e: Crisis averted... new colonies start with 1000 of each resource, a habitat module and a command center module. Sweet action.

e2: So... the first new colony is 250 of each resource... the second is 500 of each, the third is 1000 of each, the fourth is 2000 of each, the fifth (six total) is 4000 of each resource. If this trend continues colonies are going to get VERY expensive VERY quickly. I'm working toward getting cargo ships and trading so I can pool resources to my original (most built up) colony for expansion... and I'm going to make specialized colonies that focus on research, or one particular production, and just funnel goods around. At least, that's the plan for now.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is there a Penny Arcade Federation? I just want to make sure that I don't frack anyone on here and then get my planet glassed.

Because I am ready to introduce some fledgling races to the magic of orbital bombardment.

Also:

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This sounds kind of like the old game "Warpath" only browser based.

Also sounds like Archmage somewhat, being browser based... HMMM, I'll cheggit out.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I started up a colony a little while back
    Named it Cadia (-21:15:82)
    Player name is TheRoadVirus (so please don't disintegrate me haha)
    Do the probes DO anything? I sent some to nearby planets.
    Also, should I colonize planets similar to mine? Different?
    Should I build new colonies close to my home planet or far away?
    Do we have a federation yet?

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    probes should be sent to systems that you haven't seen yet and they will tell you what they are.

Colonies get progressively harder to make, so make sure you pick ones that are large and have a good out put. They don't have to be all earth like or Paradise worlds but they shouldn't be crappy ones.

No Federation that I've seen yet...but don't worry, you can't get attacked for at least a week.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also sounds like Archmage somewhat, being browser based... HMMM, I'll cheggit out.

The people at Mari were working on a adhoc sequel to Archmage called Archspace which looked totally rad. The company went under and as far as I can remember it never came to fruitation (please, oh please someone correct me on this one). Anyways it looked really deep and had a lot of details like archmage did.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hm, this actually looks rather entertaining. I was just getting kind of bored of Q2019, too.

Guess I'll check this out when I get home and have the opportunity.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I took the initiative to create a federation: WANG. Send your requests!

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm horrendous at thinking. What on Earth should I start building?

Minty_Vision from the Planet Polo

http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/profile/index/1665.hum

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Build mines, farms, power plants, and world banks, then a university (when that's available), then progress up the technology ladder. You don't have to worry about building ships until it's time to come out of newbie protection.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, work on your resource production at first. I'd recommend building your mines, farms, and power plants up to rank 5, then start focusing on reaching the pre-reqs for the next tier of resource producing buildings (Nuclear Power Plants, Deep Core Mining, and Hydroponics Farms).

Dizzen on