As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: the Casual Amusement of Fantastical Battlefication

1575859606163»

• Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I feel lucky to have never faced a hydra or a Dark Elf player period.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the most part, the army is fairly reasonable. Their units are nasty, hatred is very powerful, but they're still just st3 t3 elves for the most part. The compulsory hydra and ASF'ing blackguard, however, often leave people at a loss for a way to effectively counter them. Unless you have a lot of shooting and/or impact hits, the blackguard are going to fuck up almost anything that charges them (unless it has a monumental armor save). Without flaming attacks, the hydra is just a son-of-a-bitch to put down, mainly because it's borderline impossible to kill the handlers, is really difficult to wound between armor and regen saves and keeps every one of it's attacks until dead. Attacks that are an unusual-for-monsters WS4, and of course St5.

I could see Lizardmen (skinks and salamanders) and Dwarfs (gunline & flame cannons) being a strong matchup against DE.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Man, if I could implement one and only one rule change to a unit I would give DoC Flamers "Move-or-Fire." That would solve a lot of my problems.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I haven't had the displeasure of getting DoC'd, I only have the theoryhammer to go on. Flamers are pretty crazy on paper. Move-or-fire seems like it'd help. Lowering the str of their shots, and/or dialing back their combat stats would probably help too.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey, we need a new OP. Should probably update the book release schedule and remove the link to ArmyRoster cause it sucks now. :D

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DoC are what led to me to start number-crunching. I was playing a game (that I ended up getting hosed in) and I had a unit of Flamers march out from behind cover towards two of my Bolt Throwers. I was like, fuck yeah, easy kills on those assholes. The person I'm playing against stops me before I roll, though, and says, "I'll bet you get two wounds between both Bolt Throwers." I pretty much thought fuck you, I'm hosing your bitches, so I rolled. First BT had 4 hits, 2 wounds and 1 was saved. Thinking I got unlucky, I tried again, still going for repeater fire. 3 hits, 1 wound, unsaved. The next turn he blew up one Bolt Thrower, and then got the other the turn after that. In all, he didn't even lose points because I never got that unit below half.

DoC is full of shit like that. You think you're in the clear because there's not a lot of armor saves, but then they all have a built-in 5+ Ward Save, which is really effective. Every Lord has T6 and at least 5 wounds. You can't destroy or deny any magic items (not a big thing for DE anyways, but I know it's annoying for some armies). The little shit just goes on and makes them more and more unkillable.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I kinda feel repeater bolt throwers are slightly underwhelming, though against skirmishers, they're obviously generally a better choice. Still, flamers stats are just fucking wrong. They can out shoot anything that might try to shoot them to death and out fight just about anything that can catch them.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    I kinda feel repeater bolt throwers are slightly underwhelming, though against skirmishers, they're obviously generally a better choice. Still, flamers stats are just fucking wrong. They can out shoot anything that might try to shoot them to death and out fight just about anything that can catch them.

What's even worse is that, per shot, they're very point efficient. A close analogue to them is Dwarven Handgunners, who are 15 points for BS3 (and +1) to hit, S4 AP with 24" range. Flamers are 35 points for BS4, S4 Flaming with 18" range, but they average 3.5 shots each. So, for every shot Dwarfs pay 15, while DoC pay 10. What the Christ. I know one is Core and the other is Rare, but that's stupid.

A duck! on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BUT YOU CAN'T COMPARE STUFF BETWEEN ARMIES

THEY ARE BALANCED WITHIN THE ARMY

:warseer:

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Can flamers stand and shoot? Please tell me they can't.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can flamers stand and shoot? Please tell me they can't.

They can.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

.... Well fuck that.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm touching up Morskittar's OP and starting a new thread, since we're at critical mass.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Orc dude again. I don't have any boars except for two HQs (a Warboss and I think a Shaman) and I'm already using almost all my Boyz. It also looks as if I'll be going against High Elves, so I'm hesitant to add any more Goblins for fear of, um... Fear? I could use some more Spider Riders though, should I ditch the Spear Chukkas and/or Doom Divers for another unit?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    :arrow::arrow: New thread up ins.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A duck! wrote: »

What's even worse is that, per shot, they're very point efficient. A close analogue to them is Dwarven Handgunners, who are 15 points for BS3 (and +1) to hit, S4 AP with 24" range. Flamers are 35 points for BS4, S4 Flaming with 18" range, but they average 3.5 shots each. So, for every shot Dwarfs pay 15, while DoC pay 10. What the Christ. I know one is Core and the other is Rare, but that's stupid.

I just want to point out that a Thunderer is 14 points per model. 15 would include the shield.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
This discussion has been closed.