As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2009 BYOC Info/FAQ (BYOC SOLD OUT!)

• David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2009
    But please, please, please bring a laptop lock if you intend on leaving your laptop at all. Newegg has one for $13.

We try to keep the room as secure as reasonable, but it's really, really hard for us to keep laptops secured on our end.

David Coffman on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah no rules against bringing a Laptop as your sole machine, but please have a cable lock. We *might* have some available for attendee use, but those were donated by one of my staffers. Dont know if we will have them available again this year or not. Safe bet is to not count on it and to have your own.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Paradox314Paradox314 Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Hmm, this is my first time going to PAX and a huge part of the reason I am going is to partake in the BYOC - but now I'm worried they are going to sell out before I even get a chance at registering. So, my question is: What is the fastest way to hear about when BYOC opens? E-mail? Twitter? This forum? PAX homepage?

Paradox314 on
    edited May 2009
    Paradox314 wrote: »
    Hmm, this is my first time going to PAX and a huge part of the reason I am going is to partake in the BYOC - but now I'm worried they are going to sell out before I even get a chance at registering. So, my question is: What is the fastest way to hear about when BYOC opens? E-mail? Twitter? This forum? PAX homepage?

Question has been answered many times in the thread but pay attention to the forum or follow PAX_BYOC on twitter.
    It will sell out very quick so check this thread every day starting in june :)

BigRed on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It appears to be June now!

Also how does getting a group work? Do you indicate when you sign up if you want to sit together with some people or is it done once we get there?

Asiina on
    edited June 2009
    We're working on some stuff behind zee scenes (including a cool new seating chart), so that's pushing us back a bit beyond where we'd like to be, but soon! And I don't mean that in the Duke Nukem Forever sense!

David Coffman on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    a cool new seating chart

dya is intrigued....

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    a cool new seating chart

dya is intrigued....

As is Qs.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited June 2009
    The intel lanfest site that the byoc registrations will be done through has an interactive seating chart feature that we will be using, so everyone can pick their seat ahead of time.
    All the seats day of will be labeled... and if you sit in the wrong spot you get to deal with angry staff :P

BigRed on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    ...and if you sit in the wrong spot you get to deal with angry staff :P

Speaking from experience....you dont want to deal with an angry BigRed.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The intel lanfest site that the byoc registrations will be done through has an interactive seating chart feature that we will be using, so everyone can pick their seat ahead of time.
    All the seats day of will be labeled... and if you sit in the wrong spot you get to deal with angry staff :P

let all the macs and linuxes (lini?) crowd around me! lol, gonna be EMPTY!

when picking our spot on the seating chart, will it show the forum handles of others and where they're seated?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited June 2009
    it should, yeah

BigRed on
    edited June 2009

when picking our spot on the seating chart, will it show the forum handles of others and where they're seated?

There was only one mac at BYOC last year if I remember correctly...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited June 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

yeah, that guy was cool!
    i will also be bringing my linux netbook though, to further stand out from the crowd!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I estimate a huge number of netbooks this year. It's amazing since the entire fad has pretty much bloomed completely in the year between last pax and this one.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited June 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    I estimate a huge number of netbooks this year. It's amazing since the entire fad has pretty much bloomed completely in the year between last pax and this one.

If thats the only system they bring, i hope everyone else points and laughs :P

BigRed on
    edited June 2009

yeah, even i can point and laugh in that case!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

yeah, that guy was cool!
    i will also be bringing my linux netbook though, to further stand out from the crowd!

I'm totally bringing my Linux Notebook (with Steam Wine) for no other reason than to make you stand out less/be friends.

algorhythm3.14 on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, is the BYOC registration going live yet?

Viscountalpha on
    edited June 2009

No

Waiting on some things to happen from some very slow people/processes first :P

BigRed on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

No

Like that dave guy? hes slow, you can blame him for the delay.

That's how it goes. I just don't want to miss it.

Viscountalpha on
    edited June 2009

No

Like that dave guy? hes slow, you can blame him for the delay.

That's how it goes. I just don't want to miss it.

i think it took a good couple weeks last year to fill up. watch your email, you'll get a notice when registration starts, assuming you bought your pax pass already.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited June 2009

i think it took a good couple weeks last year to fill up. watch your email, you'll get a notice when registration starts, assuming you bought your pax pass already.

It took less than 2 weeks to sell out last year.
    Expect much of the same.

As I said before in this thread, either watch here (the OP *will* be updated) or follow PAX_BYOC on twitter

BigRed on
  • Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Interactive seating chart this year? KICK ASS.

Also, I'll be bringing my standard rig to BYOC, but I'll have my netbook with me as well. Just so I can be double awesome :D

Ty1012 on
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

the lenovo s12 netbook can play COD4 :P

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
    edited June 2009
    I don't have a netbook, do they have laptop lock cavities too?

David Coffman on
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't have a netbook, do they have laptop lock cavities too?

yes

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
    edited June 2009
    Most of them do.

BigRed on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate being paranoid about missing BYOC.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree with you KaitouAyashi. This waiting for some ambiguous day sucks.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    edited June 2009
    I can't really provide any realistic expectation of when they'll be up as there's a lot of moving parts to consider, but I can confidently say that it will not be within the next 7 days.

If possible I'll also give a couple days warning of when they'll go up, but no promises.

David Coffman on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Dave!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Dave.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Dave

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited June 2009
    Danks Thave
    lksahjbeip;ooerussssssssssssss

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's almost as bad as being paranoid about missing the Omegathon phone call.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glad I chose not to participate in that so I don't have to worry about it.

I do get a little excited every time I see this thread bumped in my user panel.

So stop it.

Asiina on
    edited June 2009
    It's almost as bad as being paranoid about missing the Omegathon phone call.

Dude, do not bring the stress with that topic! We've got a while before we have to get into that mode again!!!!

(sry asiina)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What else do we have to be stressed about? After all DiscoDave and BR truly take care of us in the BYOC. More then likely the reason why some of us happen to check it three or four times daily so as to not miss out.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • TheGravTheGrav Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally got around to signing up for the forums.. Only took me 4 years.

Read up until now, following via twitter and subscribed. Still looks like BYOC is yet to have been opened?

Is there anything any of us can do to offer any help?

TheGrav on
This discussion has been closed.