As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    enderjsv wrote: »
    DLC = Downloadable Content.

What is L4D2? Answer: Content.

Will it be downloadable? Yes.

Honestly, would it be better if they released each of the 5 new maps one at a time, at 10 dollars each? Would that somehow make you feel better?

Edit: I can't see that youtube video. I'm at work. What is it?
    Your loss, you can't freestyle battle me now with arguing, you'll have to wait to get home.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Two things I can almost guarantee.

1. This game will be full-priced when it's released.
    2. There will eventually be a weekend sale, probably within the first six months.

So if you don't want to pay full price, just wait a bit. No biggie.
    Yea and if you want DLC, just wait a bi... oh wait nevermind.

hahaha i love starting it up

DLC = Downloadable Content.

What is L4D2? Answer: Content.

Will it be downloadable? Yes.

Honestly, would it be better if they released each of the 5 new maps one at a time, at 10 dollars each? Would that somehow make you feel better?

Edit: I can't see that youtube video. I'm at work. What is it?

Eh, I wouldn't pay $10 for one new campaign, personally.

For me, I'm a bit miffed, not because I expected any of this to be free, but more because it looks exactly like an expansion, but is priced like a sequel. If they announced a 29.99 price tag for this, I'd be all over it. Typically expansions are cheaper than sequels because they use the same assets as the first one: Same engine, most of the same graphics, the AI is usually the same (although occasionally tweaked and upgraded), with more levels, and some reskins/retextures.

Until I hear more about what's going to be in L4D2, that's exactly what it's looking like so far, but with an extra $20 tacked on.

So it's nice that valve usually has price cuts, I'll be taking advantage of that.

Dissociater on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope that, if they do go the discount route (and with the number of fans asking for it, valve very well may) they allow anyone who bought the l4d in stores to bring the box and keycode in for a discount for the boxed version as well.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I hope that, if they do go the discount route (and with the number of fans asking for it, valve very well may) they allow anyone who bought the l4d in stores to bring the box and keycode in for a discount for the boxed version as well.

That probably won't happen, since they don't have a whole lot of control over what the box version is marketed as (seeing that it's being published by EA, and the publisher usually sets the price). But there's a proof of purchase on every box, so maybe Valve could give you credit on Steam or something. Not quite as good, but better than nothing.

enderjsv on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It also helped that UT2k4 had considerably better maps and gameplay than UT2k3.

Which sucked.

The lack of Assualt in 2k3 made me a sad panda.

The return of it in 2k4 made me a happy panda.

Then between not releasing shit about it and people fucking around, almost nobody was able to do anything with it, and most assault maps turned into giant pieces of ass. Most of them involving either brightly coloured mario-style levels, or barely functional 'race' style maps that were exercises in keyboard snapping frustration, to paraphrase Yahtzee for a moment.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So would it be worth it to buy l4d1 for the 360 now that 2 is only a couple months away?

Smurph on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    So would it be worth it to buy l4d1 for the 360 now that 2 is only a couple months away?
    Absolutely not. A supposedly better, fully supported version is coming out soon and the original will probably drop in price and player base pretty heavily once LFD2 is out.

Darlan on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    Absolutely not. A supposedly better, fully supported version is coming out soon and the original will probably drop in price and player base pretty heavily once LFD2 is out.

sweet, thanks.

Smurph on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dont listen to him, thats stupid there is not a man jack in here who hasnt gotten 4 times their moneys worth out of l4d

5 months of l4d1 is amazing, buy it, join chat, play with us

Honestly people stop being idiotic in here

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dont listen to him, thats stupid there is not a man jack in here who hasnt gotten 4 times their moneys worth out of l4d

Did you miss the part where he said he's getting it for the 360?

Tertiee on
    edited June 2009

That probably won't happen, since they don't have a whole lot of control over what the box version is marketed as (seeing that it's being published by EA, and the publisher usually sets the price). But there's a proof of purchase on every box, so maybe Valve could give you credit on Steam or something. Not quite as good, but better than nothing.

Well, that isn't quite as good of a solution but I think I could live with it. There are a few games on Steam that I would like to have....

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So who else thinks that melee weapons are going to be completely worthless on any difficulty above Normal? Because every video I've seen of someone using them, they're always getting hit by other zeds.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
    edited June 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »

Ah, its late where i live

Disregard

Or buy it on PC, do that instead

Zombie Monkey on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think that's the right choice to be honest. The sequel's only a few months off, may as well wait for that instead of paying full price for part 1 now.

subedii on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »

Not to mention you can't even finish a game of vs with pubbies without everyone quitting, and the 360 group isn't all that active lately.

SkutSkut on
    edited June 2009
    Part 1

Part 1 :|

This thread is getting me angry here, im leaving, screw it

Zombie Monkey on
    edited June 2009
    Wait, what?

Nappuccino on

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, what?

I could be wrong, but I believe he was pissed that Subedii referred to L4D1 as "Part 1."

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    edited June 2009
    ^ That's about as far as I can figure out as well. Grief, I've referred to any number of prequels as part 1, I guess that's just not cool when referring to Left 4 Dead. I mean, I did also refer to Left 4 Dead 2 as being a sequel, does that counter-balance things?

Part 1

Part 1 :|

This thread is getting me angry here, im leaving, screw it

Sorry, Left 4 Dead 1. Better? I did not mean to slight and offend your sensibilities, honest.

Had I wished to do so, I would have removed my glove and slapped you across the cheek with it, before challenging you to a duel.

subedii on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I prefer L4D 2k8 :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L4D Forever

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    edited June 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Chronicles of Madden 4 Dead 2k8: The Gathering.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited June 2009

I'd buy it.

Nappuccino on

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Deader
    then
    Left 4 Deadest

SkutSkut on
    edited June 2009

Man, all they do with that series is make a few tweaks and update the player roster.

subedii on
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Man, all they do with that series is make a few tweaks and update the player roster.

Aren't those player roster updates free downloadables as well?

Nappuccino on

edited June 2009
    dude but that's totally worth $50

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They need to make Left 4 Dead : Rocks the 80s.

@Kagnaros: Yeah the melee weapons don't seem to help all that much. The axe looks like the better of the two, but when you're gonna die in 2 or 3 hits from a regular undead swinging a frying pan around doesn't seem like the best plan.

BlindPsychic on
    edited June 2009
    @Kagnaros: Yeah the melee weapons don't seem to help all that much. The axe looks like the better of the two, but when you're gonna die in 2 or 3 hits from a regular undead swinging a frying pan around doesn't seem like the best plan.

From what I've heard, the regular infected might be a little tougher this time around and so won't go down as fast to regular bullets. I'm guessing this is mainly going to be a balance issue, ultimately I think they're going going for making conventional weapons the preference, with melee as a decent backup in certain situations or when you run out of ammo. It looks more effective than dual pistols when dealing with crowds anyway.

EDIT: Besides, we still haven't seen the chainsaw, and even if that's got limited fuel, you know people are going to argue about who gets to wield that one.

subedii on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

From what I've heard, the regular infected might be a little tougher this time around and so won't go down as fast to regular bullets. I'm guessing this is mainly going to be a balance issue, ultimately I think they're going going for making conventional weapons the preference, with melee as a decent backup in certain situations or when you run out of ammo. It looks more effective than dual pistols when dealing with crowds anyway.

EDIT: Besides, we still haven't seen the chainsaw, and even if that's got limited fuel, you know people are going to argue about who gets to wield that one.

Looking at some footage of L4D2, it looks like the frying pan may actually stun the zombies for a few seconds. One of the clips in the video that's on Kotaku really makes it look this way

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited June 2009
    Well yeah I'm sure the chainsaw is cool.

I dunno, the new running peak situations and stuff are going to make expert a pretty difficult time. I mean, most of my enjoyment from getting through on expert is just surviving the shit, the peak moments never really registered to me as anything as: Here's the plan, don't fuck it up. And inevitably everything would go wrong. Sitting around and whacking undead away wasn't really a problem for me.

What I'm basically saying is that more levels like the train->cornfield area of Blood Harvest would make me a sad panda.

BlindPsychic on
    edited June 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Looking at some footage of L4D2, it looks like the frying pan may actually stun the zombies for a few seconds. One of the clips in the video that's on Kotaku really makes it look this way

I saw that clip as well. Seeing the charger work properly for the first time made me a bit more enthusiastic about the game.

@BlindPsychic : Personally I loved the cornfield area of blood harvest.

My enjoyment of that area only grows when I get to play infected. The team thinks they're about to escape, then you strike, boomer bile, smoker pull, hunter pounce, all coming out of nowhere and taking them completely by surprise.

subedii on
    edited June 2009
    Well yeah I'm sure the chainsaw is cool.

I dunno, the new running peak situations and stuff are going to make expert a pretty difficult time. I mean, most of my enjoyment from getting through on expert is just surviving the shit, the peak moments never really registered to me as anything as: Here's the plan, don't fuck it up. And inevitably everything would go wrong. Sitting around and whacking undead away wasn't really a problem for me.

What I'm basically saying is that more levels like the train->cornfield area of Blood Harvest would make me a sad panda.

I actually think the charger has the potential to make expert much more difficult than anything else. I didn't play a whole mess of a lot of expert, but I played enough to know how dependent people are on corner/closet camping in expert. The charger could really mess that up for them.

enderjsv on
    edited June 2009
    The field sucks because you leave the train, then get to the hill and there's a swarm (or even a tank) that could completely ruin you. Then you run. I wouldn't mind it much at the top of a level when everyone is fresh, but its just mean to have two swarms back to back then the finale on expert.

BlindPsychic on
    edited June 2009
    The new panic events are going to be awesome in Expert mode, having to force yourself to run to hit the switch

Also, ive had another good idea

Introduce a riot shield into the fold, if you press right mouse you kneel and pull it infront of you deflecting boomer bile/pounces/smokes, but you can only use your pistol, making it fair. Also only one member of the team can have it at one time.

Zombie Monkey on
    edited June 2009

I saw that clip as well. Seeing the charger work properly for the first time made me a bit more enthusiastic about the game.

Could someone link to this video?

And I like the cornfield part of bloodharvest. I wish it were longer.

Nappuccino on

edited June 2009
    The new panic events are going to be awesome in Expert mode, having to force yourself to run to hit the switch

Introduce a riot shield into the fold, if you press right mouse you kneel and pull it infront of you deflecting boomer bile/pounces/smokes, but you can only use your pistol, making it fair. Also only one member of the team can have it at one time.

Only in campaign mode. Anything that nullifies infected attacks shouldn't be in vs. Hell, I even used to hate that survivors could melee hunters mid pounce in L4D1. I learned to live with it though.

enderjsv on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Could someone link to this video?

And I like the cornfield part of bloodharvest. I wish it were longer.

I assume they mean this one. You see the charger do the repeated ground slam and take a decent amount of bullets.
    www.kotaku.com/5284932/five-bloody-minutes-of-left-4-dead-2-gameplay

Tertiee on
    edited June 2009

Only in campaign mode. Anything that nullifies infected attacks shouldn't be in vs. Hell, I even used to hate that survivors could melee hunters mid pounce in L4D1. I learned to live with it though.

I've seen the melee work so rarely these days that I don't really mind it anymore.

Nappuccino on

edited June 2009

I've seen the melee work so rarely these days that I don't really mind it anymore.

That's cause they introduced melee fatigue and they decreased the chance that it would work (in the June patch, I think).

But I remember before that having a survivor cornered, all by himself, totally in a position where I would probably destroy them, only to fail twice or even three times to pounce them because they were spamming the melee. It used to frustrate me so much. But you're right, it's not so bothersome anymore.

enderjsv on