As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    $30-80 (CAD) a week, depends on how many marvel titles are shipping.

Sharp101 on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    On average, how much do you guys spend weekly on single issues?

and each month on trades/marketing/toys/paraphernalia?

Also, if you're cool admitting it, what percentage of your monthly disposable income (after rent/bills/insurance/etc.) is that?

Somewhere between $20-50 a month (depending on back-issues) on singles. Might spend another $40 in a random month on trades, but skip 2-3 months.

I spend approximently 1/30th of my monthly income on "play-stuff", a.e. comics, video games, etc, although the comics don't make up more than 1/2 that very often. Sometimes they do though. I typically subscribe to around 4-8 comics, depending on what stuff I'm REALLY enjoying. I try to cut anything that doesn't put at least a decent issue every month.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    munch, do you pull in two grand or month, or have two grand left after bills and everything?

as for me, when I was working full time and not in school, my habits were similar to Jack Eddy's. I'd spend a bout a bill each month on shit through amazon, and usually it was trades. Sometimes DVDs, board games, or non-comic books, but at least 60-80% of it was comics. It was about 15% of my disposable income at the time.

Now I'm working a job solely for savings, food, and bills. Since january, I've only bought like two books, and they were off that TFAW 80% sale for less than 10 bucks total.

There's still a few trades I plan to get, but I'm going to fund those purchases with what I'll obtain selling the bulk of my current trades/dvds/games.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    About 20 dollars a month.

DouglasDanger on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jademan comics were like the best of all kung-fu flicks sec to a page. Violence, minimal plot, fun characters, silly fights, pretty pictures, etc. I loved them when I was a kid, and they haven't suffered much as an adult.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I once was averaging about $100 a month for singles, but I cut back a lot about 18 months ago. Not counting money I've already paid for Marvel Direct subs, I now spend between $25 and $35 a month on comics. That's going to go up once Blackest Night gets going, but once WoK and BN are over I plan to drop the cosmic books, so by this time next year I'll probably be down to $20 a month on comics.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would say my worst habits in buying comics were when I worked at a damn comic shop in 2004. CCG's & comics ruined my life, and that was one of the worst paying jobs I've ever had.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone here own Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the 360? I've been wanting to co-op with a couple of PA guys over the entire story mode.

Anyone interested?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited June 2009
    I was reading AICN's comic news, and stumbled on his synopsis for Ultimate Spider-Man.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41362

Wait a fucking minute here. They're ending the series???? The only western comic I regularly enjoy!?

Please tell me this isn't true.

Edit: Okay, seems they're just continuing the story under a new name, and Bendis is still writing.

Gave me a heart attack for a minute there...

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is something you should know about USM vol. 2 though. Spoilers ahead:
    More than likely Peter will not be the main character, at least for the first story arc. The female clone is the most likely replacement but the cover for issue 1 still looks like a guy so who knows.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Also, if you're cool admitting it, what percentage of your monthly disposable income (after rent/bills/insurance/etc.) is that?

Maybe about $20 - $25 a month on single issues. I try to keep the number of ongoings down to a minimum, and beg/borrow whenever possible. I'm also picky as hell when it comes to single issues.

However, I am addicted to deluxe hardcover/omnibus collections, so I spend another $40 - $100 a month (depending on the month) on those as well. I know I can get the same comics cheaper, but I like how dignified they look on the shelf next to my other books.

In terms of disposible income, it's under 10%.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited June 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    There is something you should know about USM vol. 2 though. Spoilers ahead:
    More than likely Peter will not be the main character, at least for the first story arc. The female clone is the most likely replacement but the cover for issue 1 still looks like a guy so who knows.

That's the rumor/hint going around, but I'm sure it'll eventually move back to Peter. But hopefully soon before people (including me) get sick of this change of pace.

Honestly, I'm worried this new series might begin a downward spiral of crap ideas and other changes that taint an otherwise flawless series.

At least the artist will change. I really wasn't a fan of Imoman. He drew some great costume Spidey and villains, but his Peter and MJ were pretty butt ugly (especially with Peter's 2 feet of hair).

edited June 2009
    I'm pretty enamored with Immonen's style, so I was pretty happy with his run, but I can understand if others weren't as satisfied. I can't wait to see him on New Avengers though.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2009
    I just plain hated his human faces. Everything else was stellar, but when Peter would grimace, he looked like Aunt May's 90 year old brother or something.

His fight scenes were real stylish, and much more cohesive than Bagely's work, but overall I still consider Bagely a superior artist.

Sounds like the new run has the guy who did the Annual issue where Peter and Kitty first hooked up. Last I checked, that art was closer to Bagely's style, so I shouldn't have any complaints.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No one knows if he's a monthly artist though. He doesn't have a lot of US comics work, and he did the Hellcat mini that was plagued with delays (which is weird because it was Immonen's wife doing the writing and she would hopefully be a punctual as her husband is drawing).

Immonen was good, the only thing wrong was his Jonathan Taylor Thomas hair on Peter.

TexiKen on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Funny, my only complaint was MJ's femullet hairdo. His sense of scale is great. I loved his shots of the city in the Ultimatum issues. Should work well on Avengers.

DMAC on
    edited June 2009
    I've seriously though about buying that splash of JJJ in his office when NYC is flooded and he sees Spider-Man diving into the water to save someone. It's probably already bought because it's just an epic double pager.

That is one of the best pages of art I've ever seen in a comic.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009

Maybe about $20 - $25 a month on single issues. I try to keep the number of ongoings down to a minimum, and beg/borrow whenever possible. I'm also picky as hell when it comes to single issues.

However, I am addicted to deluxe hardcover/omnibus collections, so I spend another $40 - $100 a month (depending on the month) on those as well. I know I can get the same comics cheaper, but I like how dignified they look on the shelf next to my other books.

In terms of disposible income, it's under 10%.

not necessarily, through amazon a standard 2-arc, 12-issue marvel hardcover is around $20-25, single issues run like 3 or 4 bucks a piece from the looks of it, and the cost of the individual trades usually adds up to the same thing or more (about $12-15 for each 6-issue trade).

I really dig the hardcovers, and they do look good on a shelf after I throw away the dustjackets.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just plain hated his human faces. Everything else was stellar, but when Peter would grimace, he looked like Aunt May's 90 year old brother or something.

His fight scenes were real stylish, and much more cohesive than Bagely's work, but overall I still consider Bagely a superior artist.

Sounds like the new run has the guy who did the Annual issue where Peter and Kitty first hooked up. Last I checked, that art was closer to Bagely's style, so I shouldn't have any complaints.

Actually, that was Mark Brook, who I actually would have enjoyed for the new volume.

We're getting the guy that drew the MJ/Peter sex discussion annual. I did enjoy the art for Hellcat, but it was a bit umm, girly at times. And the preview pic of Spidey doesn't give me hope either.

noir_blood on
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I've seriously though about buying that splash of JJJ in his office when NYC is flooded and he sees Spider-Man diving into the water to save someone. It's probably already bought because it's just an epic double pager.

That is one of the best pages of art I've ever seen in a comic.

Pretty much this. There aren't too many other pages of comic art that capture a moment in time so well.

wwtMask on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It also speak to the larger issue of USM being able to capture JJJ so much better then 616 has ever been able to. He's a guy you can sympathize with, and even like, despite the fact that he's a jerk.

When he explains why he hates Spider-Man... man, it's fucking touching.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Actually, that was Mark Brook, who I actually would have enjoyed for the new volume.

I remember someone mentioning that the dude is more of a bi-monthly artist than a monthly one, and with USM's long history of timely shipping, I imagine they wanted someone who could deliver on a regular basis.

Of course, I'm not sure Lafuente's really a monthly artist either.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    Apparently that double page splash isn't up for sale yet, but Immonen's other work seems to be at a decent price. Von Grawbadger's too.

What is depressing is the amount of money Greg Land's work can sell for. $3,200??!?!?!?

TexiKen on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat on
    edited June 2009
    who in the fuck designed the hawkeye outfit in ultimates 3? it is the absolute worst, 90s looking crap i've seen in a modern comic in a long time.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think it was Joe Mad.

It also comes with crossbow pistols! How sweet is that?

(it is terrible)

DouglasDanger on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That article makes me wonder if Loeb was confused about which universe he was writing for.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009
    Loeb is the Michael Bay of comic book writers. If it looks cool to an 8 year old, it's going in, no matter how little sense it makes.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That article makes me wonder if Loeb was confused about which universe he was writing for.

If? It's not like he was paying attention to any characterization/continuity in Ultimate so far.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2009
    You know, as much as we bitch about Loeb, the other big writers at Marvel seem to think he's great. Like, they make it out that he's this awesome idea factory that seems to have moments of inspiration that energizes the retreats, and that his projects aren't taking a shit on their own works. I wonder how much of that is genuine appreciation and how much is politicking.

wwtMask on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    You know, as much as we bitch about Loeb, the other big writers at Marvel seem to think he's great. Like, they make it out that he's this awesome idea factory that seems to have moments of inspiration that energizes the retreats, and that his projects aren't taking a shit on their own works. I wonder how much of that is genuine appreciation and how much is politicking.

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I've always gotten the feeling that Loeb has some very cool vague generalized plot ideas, but can't work with discrete detail without pissing on everything.

So maybe he's great at story ideas but absolutely awful at characterization.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2009

Michael Bay also continues to pump out movies that gross in excess of 100 million dollars.

However, those movies are almost uniformly terrible. It's just a conundrum.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So guys, I know this is totally off topic, but you've got to help me out with something. I'm trying to identify some cartoon characters, and i KNOW the good people of Graphic Violence can help me out.

I've gotten the vast majority of them myself, but can anyone place these three?

cartoons.jpg

I've got no idea about the top one, the middle one is a little sharky thing that I feel like I should know and the last guy on the bottom is also tantalisingly familiar.

Any help?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Sharky Guy is a character from Eek! The Cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFSumAIRBMI&feature=related

The bottom guy looks like he could GI Joe castmember.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    Eek the Cat! You legend! I got stuck on Rocko's Modern Life and then couldn't think of an alternative...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, you didn't remember Sharky the Sharkdog?

I loved eek...

The first one is probably from something Japanese-animated. It reminds me of silverhawks a little, and all the go nagai shows they brought over here a bit as well.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2009
    Well now I've been reminded I do indeed remember Sharky the Sharkdog fondly... I think it was seeing him in a robe that threw me, since usually he's on all fours.

I agree on the first one being from a japanese show, but can't place it. Pretty sure it's not Silverhawks (there was another character from Silverhawks on the list though).

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who were the 3 commando dinosaurs on eek the cat?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
This discussion has been closed.