As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What the fuck is IE doing?

WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
I am having the weirdest fucking issue with Internet Explorer. For the last 3 or so days, clicking links produces random results.

Sometimes it will actually take me to the website I'm trying to get to, most of the time however, it will take me to some random banner/advertising webpage (which is different every time). I will literally go back to my original google search or whatever, click the same link 3 times, and get 3 different mother fucking results.

I have no idea what could be causing this.

Should I just say "fuck it" and switch to firefox? Because this is some weird annoying crap.

Wavechaser on

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    I am having the weirdest fucking issue with Internet Explorer. For the last 3 or so days, clicking links produces random results.

Sometimes it will actually take me to the website I'm trying to get to, most of the time however, it will take me to some random banner/advertising webpage (which is different every time). I will literally go back to my original google search or whatever, click the same link 3 times, and get 3 different mother fucking results.

I have no idea what could be causing this.

Should I just say "fuck it" and switch to firefox? Because this is some weird annoying crap.

From the sound of it, you done got yourself a them there virus or trojan of some sort. As much as I dislike IE in any form, it cannot possibley by sending you to random links on its own. The fact that its sending you to ads is a dead give away your computer is infected

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was doing so well. Almost 20 years without getting a single virus.

D:

Anyone able to recommend a good (free) virus removal tool?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AVG

You should also run adaware and spybot. Also have windows defender installed if you don't already.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, I'm 99.9% sure that you've had many trojans and spyware over the years, but this is the first one you've noticed. If you're surfing without protection of any kind, you will get something, it just may be a non-invasive type of spyware.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't install AVG. I've never known it to actually be useful, and it will slow your computer more than most viruses.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't install AVG. I've never known it to actually be useful, and it will slow your computer more than most viruses.

Actually, yes, can't believe i missed that point. I use Avira personally.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neither is going to help most likely. Try malware bytes, spybot, tcpfix, and hijackthis. When you are done, be sure to clear out any leftover proxy settings. Dont' forget to change every password you've used and throw ie in the trash, where it belongs. Then shell out a whopping 25$ for a year of Nod32.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    throw ie in the trash, where it belongs.

That's a load of BS. Not only is IE8 is proven to be safer than Firefox it's a moot point now. Malicious/Hijacked websites & web servers now attack the system OS directly after identifying the OS from the header info. Flash games/videos have also been seen trying to install malware/adware in the background. This is why people need to leave UAC or similar function running. On XP systems I use Spybot SD's Tea Timer or Comodo's system guard in their free Security suit.

Also +1 for NOD32. If you want free then try Comodo or PC Tools if you only want an AV.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As popular as it is to hate on IE, this has nothing to do with IE.

This sounds like a 'hijacker' virus or bug of some sort. I had one that, ironically enough, hijacked FF. Google was the only site that worked, and every search result led to the same 'Antivirus' site. AVG's updates were blocked, as was Windows itself.

Unless you fix it, it's probably just a matter of time before the hijacking bug affects FF as well.

I'll suggest what fixed it for me: Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Despite the rather odd name, it's probably one of the best cleaners out there. Deleted the modded registry entries that were causing the redirection. Had to download it on another PC and move it there, but once it was installed and running, it worked.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

It's also good for handling smaller things, like cookies, trackers, etc.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That's a load of BS. Not only is IE8 is proven to be safer than Firefox it's a moot point now. Malicious/Hijacked websites & web servers now attack the system OS directly after identifying the OS from the header info. Flash games/videos have also been seen trying to install malware/adware in the background. This is why people need to leave UAC or similar function running. On XP systems I use Spybot SD's Tea Timer or Comodo's system guard in their free Security suit.

Also +1 for NOD32. If you want free then try Comodo or PC Tools if you only want an AV.

IE8 also breaks compatibility for countless sites and has a tendency to completely hose the system if you have to uninstall it for that reason. (Rollout on automatic updates for xp has kept me busy for days now due to compatibility issues that are far beyond what should be normal) It's highly doubtful he was using either ie8 or uac to get infected. Otherwise, the comment was harsh, but the op asked for an opinion.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Speaking of "WTF IE" It seems when I try to go to google in IE it redirects to Bing.

Arrath on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Speaking of "WTF IE" It seems when I try to go to google in IE it redirects to Bing.

Oh this brings me back to my youth days when i said "I don't need no AV program"...so everytime i went on certain websites i would get redirected all over the place.

Sounds like virus or at the least some spy/adware.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    avira antivirus + malwarebytes' anti malware.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Arrath wrote: »

Oh this brings me back to my youth days when i said "I don't need no AV program"...so everytime i went on certain websites i would get redirected all over the place.

Sounds like virus or at the least some spy/adware.

I thought it was rather hilarious that a Microsoft product redirected me from Google to the Brand New! Microsoft search engine.

Arrath on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

IE8 also breaks compatibility for countless sites and has a tendency to completely hose the system if you have to uninstall it for that reason. (Rollout on automatic updates for xp has kept me busy for days now due to compatibility issues that are far beyond what should be normal) It's highly doubtful he was using either ie8 or uac to get infected. Otherwise, the comment was harsh, but the op asked for an opinion.

You know IE8 has a compatibility view button, right?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You know IE8 has a compatibility view button, right?

Now just a button, IE maintains an actively updated site list of to render in compatibility (IE7 legacy) mode. If these people don't want to update/recode their websites then they just have to add one line of code to their templates. This will tell IE to automatically render the site in compatibility mode.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    avira antivirus + malwarebytes' anti malware.

Best free protection combo.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I tried using Avira....had problems with false detections, so went with Avast! instead.

I've already recommended Malwarebyte's, that being said.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Browser Hijack Recover is a quick way to fix some of this, too. I've used it on some systems at work with a pretty high success rate.

The program had some "Engrish" the last time I checked, which put me off a bit...but it worked.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I downloaded the Avira and Malwarebytes combo and they worked beautifully. That seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just to throw this out there for you, www.ie7pro.com. Check it out, it works with IE8 as well.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I downloaded the Avira and Malwarebytes combo and they worked beautifully. That seems to have fixed the issue.

Not to knock Avira, but I have a sense that Malewarebyte's did the trick.

Given that I had the same problem (but for FF), I can't help but feel a little self-satisfied. Glad it worked out for you. :mrgreen:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Given that I had the same problem (but for FF), I can't help but feel a little self-satisfied. Glad it worked out for you. :mrgreen:

Since it was browser hijacking, I would imagine the antispyware took care of it too yes.

Avira is our first pass for virus cleanups on our linux network scans and works pretty good, ClamAV follows it up.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Since it was browser hijacking, I would imagine the antispyware took care of it too yes.

Avira is our first pass for virus cleanups on our linux network scans and works pretty good, ClamAV follows it up.

I would have stuck with Avira, if it wasn't for the huge amounts of false positives it was giving me. I'm sure that was correctable, but I was kind of in the 'trying' mood, so I switched between a couple different options.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    On the subject of computer protection, what firewall do you guys use, if any? I've been using Comodo Personal Firewall for quite some time and have found it to work great, alerting me when stuff tries to connect to my computer as well as get out.

Arrath on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The built-in Windows firewall is perfectly fine. Things like Comodo are certainly nice, but I'm not convinced they're really all that useful. Any malware that might try to get out could simply disable the firewall. As far as I'm concerned a software firewall is only useful for blocking "trusted" apps from making outbound connections (for example, to check for updates), and I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, really.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have a hardware firewall so I just use the Windows Firewall on my systems. For others whom I know need the extra help I install Comodo. I really like the free Comodo Internet Security suit. The fact that it works in Vista with UAC enabled without issues is a god send.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just don't use ZoneAlarm. That thing is so goddamn slow.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just don't use ZoneAlarm. That thing is so goddamn slow.

Ugh, I had quite a fun episode of "Fix the Parent's computer" getting ZoneAlarm and McAffee off of one of their laptops. The thing just plain ran so slow from being loaded down with crap it was a real chore.

Arrath on