As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony's new 3d world

crakecrake Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Firstly, a link for those unfamiliar...
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197801030

I don't exactly have anything to say on it, other than "interesting idea". I just thought it'd be really interesting to see what the PA community had to say.

crake on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    combo rip-offs create something new though. "best of both worlds" being the underlying motivator.

crake on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sony Home is as innovative as the Sims Online.

Well...it is the Sims Online, and we know how well that did.

This isn't even a game. With the Mii's at least the concept is that they can be used in other games, does anyone really bother with the Mii parade or whatever? I don't want a virtual world just for the Mii's. If they make an Animal Crossing and let you use your Mii's or whatever, cool. But making a world just to walk around in?

I've heard this best described as Sim's Online meets MySpace. And I think that was their intent. Sadly myspace is the backwater of the foul of the earth, and the Sims Online was fun in a way that stabbing your eyes out is fun.

So. great concept. Good thing the PS3 costs $600 bucks, so that you can not play any games.

I heretofore dub Home as: SimSony Online. And it shall be referred to as such from this point forward.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well its better than no 3D world at all.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why?

What happened to just turning your damn system on and playing a game?

I don't need to log into my virtual "self" in a virtual world with a virtual room where I can virtual blog and be a virtual emo and listen to mp3's on my virtual ipod, and load up my virtual ps3 that I'm currently playing on and inserting a virtual game just to play a fucking game.

I have enough real life shit in real life. Why do I need another virtual life that mirrors my own? If they had done some sci-fi or fantasy shit and made it creative, ok, I can sorta get on board with that. But it's not. it's just the same mundane crap I have to see every day.

EDIT: yes, I realize you don't have to do all that to play a game, that ps3's SuperRedunantMenu© will let you go into a game. Thanks.

EDIT2: Little Big Planet does look pretty snazzy however.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One question I have is whether or not these virtual trophies are only available to view in the PS3 home or anywhere else. The one thing I like about Xbox Live is that my info can be viewed in a web browser, collected in a nice little signature for the forum. A forum where I talk to people about games without needing a 3d version of myself.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    KingsHand wrote: »
    What happened to just turning your damn system on and playing a game?

Companies discovered that there was money to be made in diverting thier customer's attention / wasting thier customer's time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I get the impression that it has a shopping mall quality too. You can view/play game demos and participate in mini-games, etc.

If this was a PC/internet based thing, I think it would catch on like blazes and then some. As a PS3 product though... doesn't make sense.

crake on