As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ill do so when im not jailed, which at the given rate will be sometime next year :|

Ummm, if you behave yourself, it'll be in 5 weeks.

You can do eeeet!

Also, 3 infractions is nothing. There are people with, like, 25+. Pages and pages of infractions.

The best ones are the ones with custom explainations.

Also, I don't find this "Alyx doesn't resemble Eli" argument particularly convincing. So what, she looks more like her mother?

Furthermore, one of the final episode 2 chapters details how what you believe is completely and utterly wrong.
    enderjsv wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    HL3:L4D2:Episode1

EDIT Manchester nil

I love you for this post. Almost flawless execution of a timeless classic.

He stole this joke from Zero Punctuation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10-The-Orange-Box

Think that's the link, but I can't check because I'm at work.

He also revisited that joke for the 2007 Awards show he did.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We have never seen her mother, also i have not really completed ep two, the final mission annoyed me too much, they just threw so much at the player and called it an ending, it really dissapointed me

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

EDIT Manchester nil

I've heard that joke used on other things before, decades ago. But if he copied it specifically the HL2 one from ZP then I have too little mindshare in that thing to give a rats ass.

The_Scarab on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

EDIT Manchester nil

Yep, shamelessly stolen. Good thing the internet police tracked down the origin of the joke.

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    We have never seen her mother, also i have not really completed ep two, the final mission annoyed me too much, they just threw so much at the player and called it an ending, it really dissapointed me

Incorrect. There is a picture of Eli and her mother in the Black Mesa facility at the end of Ep 2. I can't quite recall, but a young Alyx may be in that picture as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the discussion I'm referring to happens after the climactic battle, so if you haven't finished Ep 2 yet you're missing a rather huge part of plot that's kind of integral to your entire "Alyx isn't human" theory.
    Yep, shamelessly stolen. Good thing the internet police tracked down the origin of the joke.

Well, maybe if you spent less time inhaling furious amounts of dick*, you'd be free to cite your sources more clearly.

*Stolen shamelessly from Yahtzee.

Forar on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    See this is why this thread cant have serious conversations and descends into anarchy, i raise valid points and serious debate, new ideas and sepculation and you all go off on one and start going all loopy with it taking it to extremes. Instead id rather you counter my points, but that doesnt seem to be in you guys remit, rather you all flip out and act like a drunk at a wedding

For shame
    We do counter your points, we're like, "Wow right when I think I couldn't hear a worse idea, ZM comes and rejuvenates that."

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited June 2009
    Forar wrote: »

Incorrect. There is a picture of Eli and her mother in the Black Mesa facility at the end of Ep 2. I can't quite recall, but a young Alyx may be in that picture as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the discussion I'm referring to happens after the climactic battle, so if you haven't finished Ep 2 yet you're missing a rather huge part of plot that's kind of integral to your entire "Alyx isn't human" theory.

Well, maybe if you spent less time inhaling furious amounts of dick*, you'd be free to cite your sources more clearly.

*Stolen shamelessly from Yahtzee.

Why don't you jump out of an airplane and fall anus first onto the spire of Winchester cathedral

Robman on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He's trolling you.

ed: ZM, that is.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited June 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    He's trolling everyone.

ed: ZM, that is.

You're right

Robman on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Again, scroll past ZM's posts, it's better for your mental health

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited June 2009
    You flippy and Rob add so much to this thread MGS...oh thats right, all you do is complain

Thats why i scroll past your posts

Zombie Monkey on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Really guys? Really? It's like amateur hour up in here!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited June 2009
    Why don't you jump out of an airplane and fall anus first onto the spire of Winchester cathedral

You forgot to cite that one.

tsk tsk

I must say, I'm very glad to hear that they're looking at making L4D 1 & 2 compatible for the original campaigns. I'm not building up an expecation that it'll be guaranteed to be in the final product, but it'd be nice.

Forar on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't believe I missed all of this.

You guys are too much :)

edit: also, If i could remove Francis and put Alyx in his place, I totally would.

Even if she still sounded like Francis.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited June 2009
    Napp save me from the awful :( they have all been so mean

Zombie Monkey on
    edited June 2009
    I kinda wanted the 4 current survivors to be in L4D2.

I've grown attached to their personalities.

The_Scarab on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I hate Francis.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kupi wrote: »

I hate Francis.

Francis hates you.

Brian on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I hate Francis.

He's not exactly fond of you either.

EDIT: DAMNIT BEAT'D

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I hate Francis.

I think I see what you did there.

Edit: Is... is this a combo breaker???

Shabooty on
    edited June 2009
    I can picture Francis in commercials now pretty well. Y'know what I don't hate? The crisp fresh taste of a cold Bud Light.

Brian on
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    I can picture Francis in commercials now pretty well. Y'know what I don't hate? The crisp fresh taste of a cold Arrogant Bastard Ale.

He's a classy guy, Bill strikes me as the Pabst Blue drinker of the lot

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead did basically have the best video game TV commercial ever though.

Just wish it had more content.

I would have been entirely satisfied with L4D if it had, say, six campaigns all of whic hwere in versus from the get go.

As it stands, I hope L4D2 is treated like a paid expansion for the steam version so that i can access all the vanilla content from the same game.

The_Scarab on
    edited June 2009
    Napp save me from the awful :( they have all been so mean

You do it to yourself my friend

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead did basically have the best video game TV commercial ever though.

Just wish it had more content.

I would have been entirely satisfied with L4D if it had, say, six campaigns all of whic hwere in versus from the get go.

As it stands, I hope L4D2 is treated like a paid expansion for the steam version so that i can access all the vanilla content from the same game.

The whole problem that I see with this is that they have essentially chained themselves to the 360 and have been limited in all of their options because of it. Can't do any $30 expansions there. Can't do backwards compatibility with both games there. And if they do it with the PC the 360 rage will launch into orbit and hover over several states ominously. Just a nice big $60 price tag.

Brian on
    edited June 2009
    Just offer a MIR where if you buy L4D2 and you mail in your old DVD you can get 30 bones in the mail, and price the trumped up expansion/"sequel" on the PC at 30 bones if you have L4D in your steam account.

Robman on
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cue the trolls.

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited June 2009
    Cue the trolls.

I'm just building bridges (with troll accomodations and central air and appliances), I never intended trolls to move in and live there(for free).

Brian on
    edited June 2009
    Cue the trolls.

cool story bro

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    Do we know how the sales break down for L4D between PC and 360?

I'm assuming that 3 million total figure includes both.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the 360 version have the majority. Especially considering how I see it everywhere in every game store and it stuck around on the charts forever. I mean it was NPD charting months after release.

Perhaps Valve financially shouldn't give a shit about its PC base anymore?

The_Scarab on
  • enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »

The whole problem that I see with this is that they have essentially chained themselves to the 360 and have been limited in all of their options because of it. Can't do any $30 expansions there.

Um, why not? They've done a 20 dollar expansion with GTA4.

enderjsv on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L4D sold 410k on the 360 in November, 630k in December.

If we assume the 3 million is for both 360 and Steam, I wouldn't bet that the 360 version accounted for more than half of total sales.

Hockey Johnston on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I hate Francis.

I actually read that in Francis' voice.

Peewi on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do we know how the sales break down for L4D between PC and 360?

I'm assuming that 3 million total figure includes both.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the 360 version have the majority. Especially considering how I see it everywhere in every game store and it stuck around on the charts forever. I mean it was NPD charting months after release.

Perhaps Valve financially shouldn't give a shit about its PC base anymore?

Those sales statistics are for retail only, not Steam. The PC figures are lacking in a pretty big way as a result. I suspect that retail sold a bit more on the 360 side than it did on the PC, but without the Steam numbers we can't really say how much that actually means. This is ESPECIALLY important when you factor in profit margins.

Talk of Valve ditching the PC seems pretty premature to say the least, when their primary marketplace is there and on which they make +90% profit per unit sold on their games, as opposed to something in the region of 30% - 50% or less in the retail sector. If you want to talk financial stakes in the PC base, Steam is their baby, and it's their biggest baby, bigger than any other actual product they've got out there. It is arguably the most successful community and marketplace system on the PC right now, nothing else comes close.

In terms of other value they gain from it, it's also the system that allows them to get in reams and reams of gameplay data to do with their games and how they're played, which leads very literally and directly to the patches and incremental changes we see in their titles.

And finally, it's the one marketplace they have complete financial control over for their products. Recently there was a sale that had Left 4 Dead selling for half price. This one sale alone generated more revenue (not number of units sold, actual revenue ) than the entire opening week. By all accounts it was an incredible success for them. Valve don't have the power to dictate those kinds of terms in the retail sector, they can't generate huge boosts in after-market sales like they can with Steam on the PC. After the initial sales period on the 360, and even retail PC, the game tanks from the charts, and there's nothing Valve can do about it, it's simply a trickle of income after that. Heck, you look at the top sellers on Steam right now, alongside Left 4 Dead you've Team Fortress 2 still there, two years on. That kind of continuous sell-through of their titles isn't something they can claim in any retail sector. It's a system that allows them a massive tail on their releases, especially in conjunction with their continuous title updates.

subedii on
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    And finally, it's the one marketplace they have complete financial control over for their products. Recently there was a sale that had Left 4 Dead selling for half price. This one sale alone generated more revenue (not number of units sold, actual revenue ) than the entire opening week. By all accounts it was an incredible success for them. Valve don't have the power to dictate those kinds of terms in the retail sector, they can't generate huge boosts in after-market sales like they can with Steam on the PC. After the initial sales period on the 360, and even retail PC, the game tanks from the charts, and there's nothing Valve can do about it, it's simply a trickle of income after that. Heck, you look at the top sellers on Steam right now, alongside Left 4 Dead you've Team Fortress 2 still there, two years on. That kind of continuous sell-through of their titles isn't something they can claim in any retail sector. It's a system that allows them a massive tail on their releases, especially in conjunction with their continuous title updates.

Pretty much this.

Nappuccino on

• enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Pretty much this.

I wonder about how much the half-price sales affect the initial sales, and whether the longer purchasing period isn't at the expense of the initial sales period. Think about it. How many times have you heard people say, "I'll probably buy it when it goes half price." And have you ever personally held out on buying a game because you knew it was going to be on sale eventually?

enderjsv on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pretty much this.

I wonder about how much the half-price sales affect the initial sales, and whether the longer purchasing period isn't at the expense of the initial sales period. Think about it. How many times have you heard people say, "I'll probably buy it when it goes half price." And have you ever personally held out on buying a game because you knew it was going to be on sale eventually?

Well from what interviews with Valve I've read, they've said that whilst other companies have always worried about that happening, their experience with it hasn't really shown that to be true. In general those people that want to get the game right away want to get the game right away, and the sales are a calculated means of enabling people that ordinarily wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. This is especially since the time limited nature of the sales makes people snap them up, it makes people a lot less hesitant to buy than they ordinarily would be.

subedii on
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pretty much this.

Well from what interviews with Valve I've read, they've said that whilst other companies have always worried about that happening, their experience with it hasn't really shown that to be true. In general early adopters still want the game right away, and the sales are a calculated means of enabling people that ordinarily wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. This is especially since the time limited nature of the sales makes people snap them up, it makes people a lot less hesitant to buy than they ordinarily would be.

Or to put it another way, IIRC L4D still gave them their most successful opening sales to date.

Yeah, agreed. I can't wait on titles like L4D to go on sale or else I'll be way behind the curve when trying to game with my friends. Saving a few bucks is not worth missing out on gaming nights and getting harassed by them until I get up to speed.

sanstodo on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I just got kicked. Twice. From zombie side. I'm hoping it's just because I haven't played in the last few months. Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Quid on
    edited June 2009
    Play with PA'ers or Friends?

Its a bit hard to suggest how to improve if we don't know what you're doing :)

(also, some teams are huge picks and kick for even the stupidest reasons)

Nappuccino on