As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 6/10/09: Do Not Eat the Poultry Unborn!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Graphic Violence
Well, since Fables came out this week, it wins. And again GLC #37 comes out as well, having to again be the Nadal to Fables Federer (what if Federer is a literal? how psychedelic).

Any ways: Fables #85 was a good example of getting ready for the third act:

Jack's son meets him, Jack blows him off and then makes fun of the Snow Queen. Jack Frost then freezes Jack.
The Boy Blue group realizes Jack is a phony, and want to kill him. Jack then is made to stay at Bigby and White's place, where he becomes an instantly bad influence on the kids:

f85a.jpg

f35b.jpg

And at the end, Jack tricks his son into going to kill Kevin Thorn to prove himself worthy of being a Horner and asking his Dad some questions.

There are some great lines in this book, everyone should read it.

And GLC #37, Oa is a rockin':
Lots of splash pages, but Scarr seems to be putting her plan into motion now:

Lyssa tries to take the wrong book:

glc37a.jpg

glc37b.jpg

And Oa starts to fall apart:
glc37c.jpg

Oh and Uncanny #511 was crap:
Dazzler blows half of Psylocke's face off, but she goes back to her original body.

Maddie is killed because she tried to bond with the wrong body (it's a trap!) that they placed at Jean's grave.

And Hank tells Emma and Scott off, knowing about everything they've kept hidden (he wakes them up in the middle of the night perched on their bed like a cat, when did Hank become a dick?. That was the only decent part of the story, and two pages of Dodson art. It does seem that the Scott/Emma relationship is going to end or at least go on hiatus (lame)

The only thing worse than traced images are rushed trace images, which is what #511 is. And shit layouts.

TexiKen on

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FUCKING HELL HOW DID I FORGET TO GRAB GLC THIS WEEK!

FUCKING CUNT BEATER!

\

Sharp101 on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GLC #37 was good, but the story felt rushed compared to the last couple of issues. Maybe because we're flipping between two major stories and an interesting subplot with not a lot of time for any of them? Still a hell of a comic and I thought Gleason rocked even more than usual.

Rans on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The anti-monitor story seems to be building to something with a quick "oh you found it, thanks *kills the two GLs*".

And the cover was misleading. Maybe if it mimicked Red Dawn instead it would have been more in context.

And X-Men Forever #1 was weak, and I was weak for buying it:
    Jean and Logan are having an affair in their head (oh like it hasn't been done before huh Claremont?) but it wouldn't make sense because Scott and Jean have a rapport (first glitch of the series like 5 pages in), Nick Fury doesn't trust mutants now because we're stuck in the 80's, the Phoenix force is going to come back now, and Wolverine is apparently dead

The only likeable characters were Kitty and Nightcrawler, but that's not enough to make me pick it up again.

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had the opposite response, Rans. I was really not feeling Patrick Gleason's art at all today. Especially the Daxam parts. All his people looked really wiry and not well proportioned. Also, some of the battle scenes were a bit hard to follow. I still enjoyed the issue, and one line in particular really jumped out at me as being awesome:
    Guy Gardner: "You complete me, Bolly"

Lucascraft on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamn it. I had to read the Uncanny post from S_D.

One of the things that I really liked about the end of New Exiles and the Sword of the Braddocks epilogue was that Betsy was quite happy with her life in the Crystal Palace. Well, so much for that shit.

Crimsondude on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did Giant Size Uncanny X-Men First Class #1 (I love that title) hit stands today? I was in a bit of a rush, so I ended up speeding through a different-than-usual store in my usual LCS chain. I don't know if I missed it or if they just didn't have it. Tomorrow I'll make the trip to my normal store and try again.

Also I'm already pretty glad I skipped Batman, Red Robin, and Uncanny this week.

Time to read what I did buy.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2009
    I just want to bring this up for a good job DC did:

Booster Gold #21 hit the stands today, which is the first book to have a back up feature in it now.

Booster Gold is always a solid read, nothing different this time, just a consistently good read with good art and a way to tie into the Batman stuff without feeling forced.

But everyone was wondering about how the back ups would work, and if the Blue Beetle backup is any indication, we'll be fine. Jurgens used more panels on his BG story to make up for the lost two pages he would normally have, and Sturges & Norton did a good job making a 10 page story not feel like filler, and is doing a good continuation of the BB series.

Both books were also very new reader friendly, helping to bridge that gap between those who might have read one book but not the other.

So, good job DC.

TexiKen on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deadpool #11 might be the most amazing thing I've ever read.
    He's beating our meat!"

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited June 2009
    Because I'm benevolent, some DP #11 scans. It was basically bugs bunny and elmer fudd:
    dp11a.jpg

dp11b.jpg

dp11c.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    I thought Batman was pretty good. It was somewhat of an introspective issue, as Dick prepared himself mentally for the job. But it wasn't bad. And I thought Winnick did a really good job of writing Damien. Its nice to see that there's a bit of consistency across both Batman and Robin and just plain Batman. Oh, and I really liked the final page. It was a nice big splash image of Batman jumping into action.

Lucascraft on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think that may be my new favorite DP moment.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Didn't get much this week but I liked Wolverine. Oddly enough, while I thought Way's story was better than Aaron's last issue, it's the opposite here. And may I say that Jason Aaron needs to write more Spider-man stuff. I'm now convinced that he can handle something non-grim and gritty.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    dp11c.jpg

I'm really going to need an action figure of this.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited June 2009
    Wow.

Flash Rebirth 3, and I'm finally really, really enjoying the story, whereas I thought it was pretty passable the first two issues.

Man, I'm really excited for this now.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2009
    The anti-monitor story seems to be building to something with a quick "oh you found it, thanks *kills the two GLs*".

And the cover was misleading. Maybe if it mimicked Red Dawn instead it would have been more in context.

And X-Men Forever #1 was weak, and I was weak for buying it:
    Jean and Logan are having an affair in their head (oh like it hasn't been done before huh Claremont?) but it wouldn't make sense because Scott and Jean have a rapport (first glitch of the series like 5 pages in), Nick Fury doesn't trust mutants now because we're stuck in the 80's, the Phoenix force is going to come back now, and Wolverine is apparently dead

The only likeable characters were Kitty and Nightcrawler, but that's not enough to make me pick it up again.

But to be fair, the main Uncanny will be back on those same issues again in a few more writer turn-overs.

I actually didn't think it was that terrible, and I'll probably even keep up with it for awhile.

Part of me hopes it doesn't go on too long, though.

Also, I'm still bummed I didn't find Giant Sized Uncanny First Class #1.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2009
    Uncanny First Class was ok, it's trying to de-age the characters a bit too much from where Claremont picked them off. It seems Scott is about what, 20 in this issue along with everyone besides Logan and Sean. And it seems Thunderbird is just going to be ignored because this is a borderline Marvel Adventures book and you can't talk about him being dead 5 minutes into the job.

It's basically a main story, Scott looking at the stories the new team told Moira about their past (Wolverine's is the best, he's James Bond and XXX and Ausitn Powers all in one because he doesn't know his past), and then a happy resolution.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Wow.

Flash Rebirth 3, and I'm finally really, really enjoying the story, whereas I thought it was pretty passable the first two issues.

Man, I'm really excited for this now.

I enjoyed issue 3 quite a bit as well. If anything, the first two issues were just a problem of pacing. It seems like it took Johns a bit too long to get around to the interesting stuff. More happened in the last 3 pages of issue 3 than all of issue 1 and 2 combined.

Lucascraft on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I thought Batman was pretty good. It was somewhat of an introspective issue, as Dick prepared himself mentally for the job. But it wasn't bad. And I thought Winnick did a really good job of writing Damien. Its nice to see that there's a bit of consistency across both Batman and Robin and just plain Batman. Oh, and I really liked the final page. It was a nice big splash image of Batman jumping into action.

I thought the scenes with Alfred were kind of heartbreaking. THe unsung hero of the Bat-family

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I thought the scenes with Alfred were kind of heartbreaking. THe unsung hero of the Bat-family

Yeah, the line where he said:
    My son has died

Was particularly touching.

Lucascraft on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    So Spider-Man...wonder how thats going to turn out.

That said, how the fuck did Spider-Man not dodge
    Bullseyes arrows? Hes got to have better reflexes than Daredevil.

And is that the real symbiote or what?

That said, I agree Spidey, I too would bang Ms Marvel. New or old.

DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Spider-Man...wonder how thats going to turn out.

That said, how the fuck did Spider-Man not dodge
    Bullseyes arrows? Hes got to have better reflexes than Daredevil.

And is that the real symbiote or what?

That said, I agree Spidey, I too would bang Ms Marvel. New or old.

He'd just had a major fight and was under the influence of pheromones or whatever.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    I read Uncanny X-Men late last night. I have a few random thoughts on the book.

1) This arc appears to be over now
    But what was the point? 4 or 5 issues of terrible Greg Land art, and at the end the resolution was that the club of hot female villains was unsuccessful at resurrecting Jean Grey.

I thought Jean was alive now anyway?

2) Terry Dodson had 2 pages of art tacked on to the end of the issue. They were the best two pages in the entire issue. But again, I gotta wonder at Matt Fraction. While the Dodson art was great, the story element seemed really random and tacked on. The story already ended on the previous page. This seemed more like an unnecessary teaser for the next arc than anything. But it was all so ambiguous that it didn't really serve any real purpose that I could see.

3) Regarding Psylocke:
    I guess those battle scenes with her all took place in her head? And in the end her good side won and became the dominant personality or something? This whole thing reeks of the Niki/Jessica bullshit from Heroes.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    Regarding Uncanny #511:
    I don't know if that was supposed to be Revanche or something Maddie made to control Betsy. If it was Revanche, she and Betsy settled their stuff a long time ago, nothing to go cat fight over.

And it was also weird how Betsy just goes back to her old (ninja) body at the end, after having her other body blown up by Allison.

TexiKen on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This whole Uncanny story line is bullshit made worse by Land's "art". Moment of the Weak goes to the most worse part during the issue during the "action" sequence where everyone is spouting one syllable lines.

Two Moments of the Week: Wolverine's origin story in Giant Size Uncanny X-Men First Class #1. Most of that story arc was pretty good though.
    Who let the radioactive Wolverine out of its cage?

Second one goes the Justice League preview in Batman, "A Cry for Justice". The art was great and I'm not the greatest judge of writing, but it seemed pretty good too.

kfrooster on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did somebody say Land art?

Freezebig.png

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The above post should be put to the torch.

I haven't been reading any of Uncanny, but the scuttlebutt around the comic shop is its the worst arc of any x-men comic in the past 20 years in terms of poor story and bad art...which is really saying something if you think about it.

Any disagreement?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited June 2009
    Poor story and poor art? That is still Chuck Austen's and Philip Tan's the Draco arc.

That is probably a 1/10 in terms of quality.

This Sisterhood arc by Fraction and Land is probably a 2.5/10. There is some clever dialogue here and there, but it resolved nothing, it brought up old history of Psylocke regarding the body switch for no reason other than to confuse people. Scott and Emma being distant for no real reason since Scott and Emma have been through worse in Whedon and Morrison's runs. And shit art.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    That picture of Batman and Mr. Freeze isn't that bad actually. Its much better than anything in the current Uncanny arc.

And I'm way looking forward to the next arc, simply because the Dodsons are on it. Even if the story is bad, it will still be pretty to look at.

Lucascraft on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Poor story and poor art? That is still Chuck Austen's and Philip Tan's the Draco arc.

This Sisterhood arc by Fraction and Land is probably a 2.5/10. There is some clever dialogue here and there, but it resolved nothing, it brought up old history of Psylocke regarding the body switch for no reason other than to confuse people. Scott and Emma being distant for no real reason since Scott and Emma have been through worse in Whedon and Morrison's runs. And shit art.

Yeah... it's going to be a long time before someone tops that atrocity.

I haven't enjoyed the current arc of the Uncanny... but it's not the atrocity The Draco or Drago or whatever was.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited June 2009
    I went to my normal LCS today and started a pull list.

Unfortunately, they were out of Giant Sized Uncanny First Class #1.

But I did pick up Batman and Red Robin because of you guys, and wow.

Batman was really, really good. Surprisingly good. Battle for the Cowl was sooooo terrible, and everyone says such awful things about Winnick and Benes that I had no faith, but it was really, really good and I may even keep reading.

Edit: Red Robin was pretty meh, though.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2009
    Deadpool and Punisher Max were both pretty awesome though that being stabbed in that location thing is getting old, considering he will somehow walk it off.

DarkWarrior on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Regarding Uncanny, I picked up issues 500-503 in singles and I thought it was OK. When I found out Uncanny usually goes straight to tpb format(except for my issues I picked up) I decided to trade-wait for it but now I'm just going to read the Utopia issues and that's it. So the only X-trades I get are Deadpool, Wolverine: Weapon X, Cable, and X-force, Messiah War being the only reason I pick up the last two.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So they did the Flash vs. Superman race (kinda) in Rebirth 3. It was actually only a couple pages, but it was kinda my favorite part of the issue.

and here it is.
    13.jpg

14-1.jpg

15-1.jpg

Also I like the effect of the black racer uniform flying off of him at high speed.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    holy hell i have never seen van sciver draw a good superman

and this is still true

Rans on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rans wrote: »
    holy hell i have never seen van sciver draw a good superman

and this is still true

which is weird because he's such a good artist

uncanny makes me a sad panda because I like fraction and the dodsons

valiance on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deadpool had at least three MOTWs for me. Marte Gracia's colors were outstanding, especially in that post-storm light he achieved in the opening pages. And this line--
    He's beating our meat!

was probably the best thing written in any comic anywhere on Earth this week.

KidDork on
    edited June 2009
    They should do a Bullseye/Deadpool comic.

DarkWarrior on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They should do a Bullseye/Deadpool comic.

You mean the comic they're doing right now?

Furu on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They also had an arc together in Deadpool's original solo series, didn't they?

Robos A Go Go on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They also had an arc together in Deadpool's original solo series, didn't they?

Yeah. It was highly entertaining. It had Bullseye doing his "everyday objects as deadly weapons" shtick and kicking 'Pools ass to boot.

muninn on