As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's been a while

• LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    and another
    I think my interpretation of references is getting better. The face is a little long for the angle the head is ment to be at. The angle is ment to look down over the person a little more than my spacing between eyes, nose, mouth suggests.
    pencil_sketch_1_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Note- where can I get good references for creating sketches for poses. Like proportions etc. Ive heard that the posemechanics place isnt the best to study off

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    someone was running late at work so I had time to draw this to. I found it harder than the others I think because the angle the head was on. I think its my fav but I think the eye is a little off:s
    Pencil_Sketch_2_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A little but it's not too bad, these last two are nice Legg. Well done.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    ok. Here is my first attempt at a painting. I had acrylics so I used them and I bought some board from an art shop and chopped it up. It has been a fair crapper of a day, I got a flat tyre and stuff but yeah.. Ive spent I guess about 2-3 hours on this and Im liking ti so far. I dont know How I can add detail into it though. My hand is fairly clumbsy with a brush I think. Also finding it hard to get clean edges I think that is because I didnt put a base coat on though so paint isnt going in the gaps and stuff. I started off by penciling in my design and then going over it trying to go from light to dark.

Are you able to use something finer like pencils ontop of acrylics ? or do I need to buy a smaller brush. This was all done with what looks like a spade sort of brush about 1cm wide. One more thing. Can you water acrylics down and like wash over what I have to make areas darker and lighter?

sorory for the quality, I took it with my camera phone, not quite sure how to get it to my computer though. Ill take a photo in better light tomorrow. its still a WIP
    httpPhoto178.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know much about painting, but I've always been told that you should start with the base color first (and that the base color shouldn't be white.)

There are good reasons for this and I'm sure some one else can tell you why... I'm sure they're somewhere in my mind but its 3am and I'm a bit sleep parched at the moment.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, you definitely want to prime board, unless you're going for that sort of look. More so if you ever use oils, but that's neither here nor there.

As for steady hands, you could try resting your hand on the painting surface, if the paint's dry. Alternatively, I've seen more advanced painters using a rod that rests on the side of the canvas for critical stuff (I imagine other people here who paint more *coughcakemikzcough* might help you more on that).

The spade shaped brush (if by "spade" you mean having a kind of curved profile instead of a flat one) might be a filbert or a cat's tongue. If you're curious (this should be more useful, though). More helpfully, I'd say that I personally prefer working with rather small brushes for detail--I usually use a number 4 or number 6 (referring to size, and being about...a centimeter? maybe a bit less?) bright (referring to the shape of the brush) for blocking things in (and for 90% of what I paint), and then using a No. 2 to a No. 4 round for detail work.

You can definitely water acrylics down and use them like a wash; you can also buy acrylic mediums that let you glaze, depending on the look you're going for; they maintain a thicker, paint-like consistency, if you want that.

EDIT:
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I don't know much about painting, but I've always been told that you should start with the base color first (and that the base color shouldn't be white.)

There are good reasons for this and I'm sure some one else can tell you why... I'm sure they're somewhere in my mind but its 3am and I'm a bit sleep parched at the moment.

There are good reasons, but also good reasons for white to be used. Starting with a non-white base color accomplishes a few things; one of them is psychological--a non-white canvas feels less empty than a white one, and that might be less intimidating. It's also better for certain warm-cool color interactions you might or might not be going for.

White is the most typical canvas color for a reason, though (though one that may or may not be relavent to your purposes); since acrylic (and oil) paints are, in essence, pigments suspended in a reasonably transparent medium, having a white base layer allows more of the light penetrating the medium to that base layer to be reflected back, which results in a more saturated color. I can't really say how strong the difference is, or whether it remains true for very thick impasto kind of painting with very opaque paints, but it seems to me the best compromise would be to start with the white primer, but then to block in all the values right away with a very rough underpainting--it may have been Manon who said to make sure that your entire canvas is blocked in within the first five minutes. I might be tempted to say that ten is still okay, but the point stands that you'll have an easier time with composition, overall value and color range, and the sheer psychological feeling of momentum, if you block everything in before getting to work on detail.

crawdaddio on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is more like it! Keep up those pencils! 8-)
    is that girl in post #42 Scarlett Johanson?

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    This is more like it! Keep up those pencils! 8-)
    is that girl in post #42 Scarlett Johanson?

I assume you mean #41 and not 42 lol.. 42 is the baby and no its not scarlett its some girl from a photo off deviant art.

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    water colour - First attempt of one probably since i was like 10 or something> i really enjoyed it
    alien_watercolour_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    this already is much better than your photoshop stuff. Keep it up. But still do the photoshop stuff too.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    CCC. Charcoal chalk chimp. I never used chalk with charcoal before. It gets really messy and I found that the chalk didnt become as white as I would like ontop of the charcoal. mm Anyway new experience, new outcomes.
    chimp_sketch_by_Leggraphics.jpg

chimp_sketch_2_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CCC. Charcoal chalk chimp. I never used chalk with charcoal before. It gets really messy and I found that the chalk didnt become as white as I would like ontop of the charcoal. mm Anyway new experience, new outcomes.
    chimp_sketch_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Kendeathwalker?

NibCrom on
    edited June 2009
    what does that mean? kendeathwalker?

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    He posts here, with almost exactly the same pic for his avatar, except with a tophat.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    oh. I just typed chimp and monkey into google image search and draw some of the ones that came up :) I changed the eyes a bit from the original though to make them look more cartoony. He probably got the image from google to :D

Leggraphics on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    edited June 2009
    okkk so.. trying to re-do the T rext again. make it bigger and well..better. I would love some help. Im still not happy with the body. I think im having issues drawing within the angle of the camera. Like I want to include its head but I cant work out what part of the body will fit in there considering it isnt looking up. Less body shoing the bigger it looks.
    mm Drawing a scared but realistic dinosaur is hard to. I am going to have to watch Jurrasic park again for this

dinoriver28.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with it's body is you have it's arms too far forward...and with no shoulders. T-Rex actually has a pretty long neck before you get to his body. The way you have him now, his arms are almost coming out of his neck. While the arms themselves are quite small, scapulas/shoulder bones are fairly big just because they have to wrap around his body. The arm is also coming out at the wrong angle...

The neck should get thicker as it connects to his body, and his chest needs to be bigger in general.

Here is a good illustration to show this:

Tyrannosaurus_rex.jpg

And, so you can see the bones

TyrannosaurusSue1.jpg

Still, I don't think it is a bad start. Keep working on it.

Thylacine on
    edited June 2009
    oh. I just typed chimp and monkey into google image search and draw some of the ones that came up :) I changed the eyes a bit from the original though to make them look more cartoony. He probably got the image from google to :D
    urban-chimp3.jpg

It is a funny picture.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    ahaha yeah it is winter and thanks for the reference and comments thy- I try to plan to find time on sunday to do some more work on it and I will use your reference and comments. I agree the arm is to close to the head. I think the arm will disappear completely in the framing I have

Leggraphics on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought I recognized that drawing as coming from the same source. Good Stuff!

And yes, I was just drawing chimps from google image search.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited June 2009
    update
    dinoriver30.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    looing wikid. is that rock texture in the dinosaurs face?
    im kinda thinking the red rocks arent working anymore. maybe try changing them to a lighter brown. or is its the mood youre trying to establish, maybe add more darker blues. still its looking pretty sweet.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    yeah the rocks dont work anymore, I agree with you. I am going to try to blend everyting together now. No its not a rock texture. The texture isnt that strong either its just when i saved it as a jpeg it took it away so I up-ed the sharpness on the picture allot. I made a reptile texture using a few pictures of different reptiles. then painting over it.

Leggraphics on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looking a lot better...I think the background texture is really good. If you want a nit pick your T-Rex isn't looking like a T-Rex. It's face is too short. You've got it shaped like an egg, when it's more like a rectangle.

Thylacine on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ^^ it looks like a t-rex that rides the short bus to school.

also the tail of the dinosour it's chasing kind of make the t-rex look like a lizard.

a lizard licking the ass of a very frightened bird...

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited June 2009
    you see what i mean?

now unsee it.
    haha you can't!

oh god i ruined it, i am so sorry

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited June 2009
    I dunno, there doesn't seem to be any drama to it. The t-rex's expression looks like he's checking the freezer for ice-cream, not hunting things.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    hahha bwanie... hilarious.. u are right though dammit...

I will make it look more scarey. I kind of like the t-rex with the shorter nose but I might change it and see howit looks

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    another update. I like where the Trex is going now. still need to work on the running ones
    dinolong.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that's looking better now.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    ok another update. Im going to leave it for a while now. Work on something else because my eyes are getting sick of looking at it lol

please comment, critique as I will come back to it

desktop-dino-1.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    This is coming along nicely Dom, you should be pleased with it.
    I'd tone down those rock textures though, they're too well defined in contrast to the rest of the picture. Also the white mist is causing contrast issues with the shaded areas of the T-Rex. His head is starting to dissapear into the rock face at the moment. I know you were probably planning to fix it, but I try not to assume anything these days.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    thanks mustang. I actually made the trex blend into the background a little by accident. I tried to add a bit of atmospheric colour to it so it looks further back. I think it just made it blend in to much... mmm.. ill delete the layers I used to do it. I plan to add more detail into the foreground but I was trying to remove detail from the Trex to show its a fair way back. Didnt work obviously.

here it is without the 'fog'
    nofog.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    so much better. Now that's a menacing t-rex! (maybe open the t-rex mouth a bit more, as it is more or less "investigating" instead of "about to eat" the diploma-whatever-sourus.

One thing though ( i don't know if it's intentional) :

I get the impression it all takes place inside some giant monster's ribcage. Correct?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks good. Me likey.

NibCrom on
    edited June 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    so much better.
    I get the impression it all takes place inside some giant monster's ribcage. Correct?

yeah that was the kinda idea I had. i realise it doesnt look to much like one now haha.. mm. I tried to find some reference photos for it but didnt find anything.

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    oh no it's cool, and it's pretty obvious what it is, but it adds a level of surrealism to it, and i was not sure if it was intentional.

i thought maybe it was meant to be caves and they turned out looking like that by accident.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You need to unify your lighting. Right now its just random patches of light and shadow and its just not working.

Heres a quick paint over. Try to think of an object as a series of planes that you need to light. Then make it consistent.
    dinosaur.jpg

Wassermelone on
    edited June 2009
    Wasser- Thanks mate. I like your lighting set up there. There are a few 'patches' of light around the place because I was goint to try to sugest light was coming down in streams through clouds and somehow draw the beams of light but I couldnt get it right.. I dont know how to achieve that well so I just left it out. Im going to start something new today but I'll come back to it maybe tomorrow and I think I will implement allot of your lighting. :)

Thanks

Leggraphics on