As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Right. Ok, I'm going to see what I can do [edit]: with saturation contrast.

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    n1dnwh.jpg

Tam on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Though i did like the earlier post ( have a soft spot for deeply saturated illustrations*early 1900s) i do think this one is working much better. You've kept that intense colour but i think the palette works much better together in this one

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    woop woop, thanks, WCK. I might try rendering now, but I have no idea how that will turn out.

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate saturated colours, but I like this. It's kinda nuts, in a good way.

Mustang on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are you purposely going for a very cartoony look tam? The palettes you keep coming up with are so saturated and bright that it reminds me of an early 90's XMEN/ TNMT cartoon or action figures or something. It's very psychedelic.

The more I look at this thing the more I also am starting to think the composition isn't so great. The drawing is nice, but the symmetrical distribution of weight makes the composition a challenge. 3 characters of similar size centered neatly on a vertical axis of the girl's tall hat at a dead-on front view. With how the image is presented right now, they are more than ever fighting for attention, and clashing badly. The genie's skin is actually a little less saturated than the other two though, so he doesn't quite have the same magnetism as the red suit and the girl's blue.

With this composition, your focus is the girl, period. What I would do is try very hard to make her more visually important, and the other two figures just happen to be guests who are there and also have fancy hats.

Scosglen on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    great improvement on the colors. You're doing a good job of ensuring that there is enough low-saturation foil for the high-saturation colors. some flat complementary- or temperature- shading would also reduce the amount of space occupied by high chroma colors.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    man, that is some sage advice Scos, but I already started this here rendering:

10pprnt.jpg

I'll try and be more considerate of what you said in future pieces, though. (Also, yes, most definitely going for the cartoony thing)

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    looking great. i'm eager to see what you have planned shading-wise for the wall plane.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    Now you're cooking with gas Tamo, I can pretty well much guarentee you my vote now.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    looking great. i'm eager to see what you have planned shading-wise for the wall plane.

Nothing special, unfortunately. I don't think I can execute anything other than a sorta-cylindrical bottom-dark to top-light gradient.

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    do it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NeoRedXII -
    That would be great. I am going to try re-drawing the T-Rex with more of a frontal view and make it larger as I just am not happy with it. I feel I might be able to draw a front on view easier. I agree with you things just dont line up on it. I tried to start with the 3D box and I was using a front on and a side view of the T-rex to try to do so

Mattharvest-

I agree with everything you said in the first post especially in that it should be considered more of a montage or collage. its a digital painting/ collage. I think you are spot on in that this is becoming what is needed to succeed in concept art as people are wanting more and more realistic images with less time to create them.

I am not happy with your second post saying that i cant appreciate skill in art work I just feel very strongly that if you chose to work on a medium you use it to its full advantage. If I saw someone had panted this traditionally I would cream myself at the textures. But since it is on the computer I feel that you should use the advantages of the computer. Just as using a canvas has its own advantages like brush strokes and the paint has its own texture to take a role. I did fire up a bit mainly at the word cheating. I think that art moves forward and if we still created mona lisa's then the 'scholars' would be happy but no-one would be interested in art anymore. I love traditional art but I also love new types of art as well. Im sure to begin with people frowned upon digital art just as they would of with experimental art or rock and roll when it first came out. Everything just adds to the growth of the industry and artists knowledge.

Tam-
    That looks so darn good. I think the hand makes sense now as you can see where it comes from. I had never seen the character before. I find the girl really scary to , its like the girl has a good cute side and the hat is evil- a tea drinking evil hat.. lol

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009
    done

how the fuck do you people do this more than once a year

n3ktb4.jpg

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    that is really cool tam. The colour choice is great. The purple background and lighting make it look a bit spooky

Leggraphics on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Fuck you tam. Seriously. That's pretty awesome, and you need to finish so much more stuff all the time. You are doing us a disservice by goofing off, we need more of your art.
    pay no attention to how much I stuff I doodle or what ever and just never keep going with it and never scan it.
    nope irukadoodle.jpg

Iruka on
    edited June 2009
    Iruka: Why didn't you enter the challenge? Your avatar has a fancy hat! You just drew a doodle with a fancy hat right there!

Well if Tam is gonna poop up the doodle thread with like 5 billion versions of his I might as well post mine too, for the people who don't look at the challenge threads.

fancy.jpg

Scosglen on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    pfft. show off :p

Looks nice scos, you're work on more feminine faces shows.

Iruka on
    edited June 2009
    hey man

you know what

fuck it, I got nothin'

also, thanks Iruka, and also maybe I will finish things more frequently now.

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    Even if I don't win the challenge, I will consider it a victory if nobody says she looks like a man.

best totp.

Scosglen on
    edited June 2009
    I'm thinking it's going to a hella tight race between those two.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    Well you shrank the nose and made the face less chiseled and angular, so it does look woman-esque.

dees vas ein joke

laffy laffy ha ha

Tam on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scos, you are amazo.

Scosmazo.

desperaterobots on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sketches of four out of seven of the dudes in my current d&d campaign. from LEFT* to RIGHT*we've got roast beef kazenzakis, sinbad, drew pickles, and ledouche.

wipdndcampaigngroupshot.jpg

I never post art here because it makes me feel turrible but hey

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited June 2009
    Pretty rad jpeg, though the bald guys feet are all kinds of screwy, they need to be more head onto the eye. As it is, the perspective goes all crazy mushy halfway up.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Pretty rad jpeg, though the bald guys feet are all kinds of screwy, they need to be more head onto the eye. As it is, the perspective goes all crazy mushy halfway up.

haha yeah, for sure. I only decided to put them together in the same picture after I had already drawn that one, I need to go back and fix it. it looks like he's standing on tip toes.

jpeg on
    edited June 2009
    right to left or left to right?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009
    oh snap, I flipped it. left to right, leftmost is roast beef.

jpeg on
    edited June 2009
    scos - i F*kn love yours man. That is superb

Leggraphics on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2wrj13a.jpg

Asamof the Horrible on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    just that crazy loomdun fellow makin' little doodles with photoshop

Towitnessend.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    loomdun, everything you do terrifies me

Projeck on
    edited June 2009
    oooooh that silly project

Loomdun on
    splat
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    loom you gotta take a look at some of the books on drawing wrinkles and clothing
    the way you've done them here doesn't make any sense and detracts completely from the drawing. his arm is the first place i look, which is probably not what you want to happen.

beavotron on
    edited June 2009
    okayy

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited June 2009
    thats the spiwit!

winter_combat_knight on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2wrj13a.jpg

Yes, Go Team Venture indeed.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited June 2009
    re-working this image. bottom pic is the new one, top is the old. adding purple to the shadows. might help the piece to come together. *probably wont

10mqv51.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jpeg wrote: »
    sketches of four out of seven of the dudes in my current d&d campaign. from LEFT* to RIGHT*we've got roast beef kazenzakis, sinbad, drew pickles, and ledouche.

wipdndcampaigngroupshot.jpg

I never post art here because it makes me feel turrible but hey

In every campaign I run, there is someone like sinbad. Always just token' it up.

F87 on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Update on these.

wip-overgrowth1.jpg

wip-overgrowth2.jpg

wip-overgrowth3.jpg

desperaterobots on
This discussion has been closed.