As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer Hours.

mcpmcp Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Social Entropy++
This is an entirely new concept to me.

My boss spoke with HR, and got us summer hours until September 4th. A modified version of summer hours from what I gather, because we can't have our department empty for half a day, but great none the less. For the next three months, I get every other Friday off. All I have to do is come in 30 minutes early M-Th that week.

I'm pretty excited about this.

How many of you get this summer hours thing? Alternatively, talk about why your job is cool and/or what you have planned this summer.

mcp on

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Our office gave everyone the day off so we could have a BBQ, they paid for all the food and activities and we all still got a normal days pay + the pay for the holiday we would have been working.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Our office gave everyone the day off so we could have a BBQ, they paid for all the food and activities and we all still got a normal days pay + the pay for the holiday we would have been working.

You get your time approved to go to your own companies' convention yet?

Grath on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My job is cool because I've been pretty much sitting in my new office browsing the internet all day with the door closed.

We don't do the summer hours thing, which sounds very agreeable right about now, but last month we got to do a tour of a local brewery who scolded us on the value of buying local and fighting the man, all while getting us very, very intoxicated. It was damn good beer to boot.

Cristoval on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been spending my day doing qualitative reviews of dialogue and cinematics for Mass Effect 2.

Days like today, I love my job.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The company I am with is working with a consultant who used to be with one of our competitors. He canceled a meeting late Friday because he thought we got summer fridays.

In reality we are in an insane build schedule (we are launching weekly builds until September for a major eCommerce platform) which means lots of overtime. We looked at him and shrugged. "Well, they let us leave early on saturdays".

Jasconius on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Where I work, we don't even have windows.

Bad-Beat on
    edited June 2009
    Grath wrote: »

You get your time approved to go to your own companies' convention yet?

yup!

8 nights in Cali.

That Dave Fella on
    edited June 2009
    You in Edmonton as well vsove? Or kicking it at EA Vancouver?

Cristoval on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Then on July 15th I've got to wake up at 2AM to push out a massive build that I'm one of the leads on.

And I still have to stay until 5PM, depending on how it goes.

That's gonna be fun.

Jasconius on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    I've been spending my day doing qualitative reviews of dialogue and cinematics for Mass Effect 2.

Days like today, I love my job.

can you guys make sure the gameplay isn't awful this time

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I work for the City of Edmonton and spend my days testing water quality on the North Sask. It's a fucking job.

Also, dead bodies.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    that type of time thing is really common in the oilfield.

Dynagrip on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dead bodies or poor water quality? Correlation?

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only places I can think of with "summer hours" are places that serve the public

Are you a waiter, mcp?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Do you have a dead body story? You are doing yourself a disservice by not telling it.

?

Cristoval on
    edited June 2009
    We found the woman's body. The one by Dawson Bridge on the east side of the city. It was washed up on the bank, close to where they do the dragon boat racing.

Morgenstern on
    edited June 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    You in Edmonton as well vsove? Or kicking it at EA Vancouver?

I'm up in Edmonton. QA inside BioWare and QA pretty much everywhere else in the industry are completely different beasts. Were I at Vancouver, my job would be pretty much grunt work. Whereas here, I get to file bugs like 'in this shot, the camera tracks the vehicle as it's landing. Right now, the shot includes the vehicle, a girder and the sky - a suggestion would be to make it 'busier' since it's currently a little bland.'

And they listen to me! It's great.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    The only places I can think of with "summer hours" are places that serve the public

Are you a waiter, mcp?
    Nah.

Systems Admin.

mcp on
    edited June 2009
    One time, when I was doing build verification for Sonic Chronicles, I got to take my DS out onto the balcony in the middle of summer. It was great.

Now my office has windows that look into an atrium. That is itself poorly lit. I miss natural light.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited June 2009
    That's quite awesome vsove. I was thinking about applying there if my time ever begins to run short at my current job. Plan C is leaving town, as there isn't really a lot of work in the city for animators outside of BioWare and Aquilla.

For the time being however, I am perfectly content where I am.

Cristoval on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    we have summer hours at the IT job I just stopped working at to take some classes

people who opt in work 10 hours M-Th and get fridays off

which I really like because an extra 2 hours at work means basically nothing but an extra day off is awesome

Monoxide on
    edited June 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »
    we have summer hours at the IT job I just stopped working at to take some classes

people who opt in work 10 hours M-Th and get fridays off

which I really like because an extra 2 hours at work means basically nothing but an extra day off is awesome
    yeah, the 30 minutes I come in early will probably be spent having coffee and browsing the forums anyway.

mcp on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can take a regular day off every two weeks in exchange for eight 9 hour days and one 8 hour day per two week period

I don't do that though because it'd mess up my production.

Today I got yelled at for wearing a t-shirt. Apparently starting today casual Friday only applies from the waist down.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Schools are out, so aside from running summer camp I'm going to be more free to do more work and work longer hours during the summer than during the year.

yay for salary?

futility on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I applied at another temp agency today

got a lot of numbers to call on Monday, and I'll probably still apply at 3-4 more agencies too

Moriveth on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I try really hard to work a 9/80 (every other Friday off) but recently have had to come in on the 'off' Fridays to get everything done

it's pretty awesome if you can swing it, makes it easier to get stuff done and if you travel its one less day of vacation spent

Usagi on
    edited June 2009
    Everyday is casual Friday where I work.

I wear jeans everyday.

We're allowed to drink alcohol at our desks too.

But, you're not suppose to get hammered.

I remember one day a few years ago, I went back into editorial to do something and a couple of the editors were doing shots of tequila at their desk. That was pretty funny.

mcp on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I suppose the problem with being a stodgy bureaucrat is that if you are anything else people will complain about the squandering of their tax dollars.

Oh well~

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tomorrow's gonna be rad. We're going to hit up a used bookstore and Urban Ore in Berkeley.

Moriveth on
  • scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Summer hours, huh? Never heard of that.

My summer hours have so far been spent learning Latin and working on my dissertation. But that's also going to be what my autumn and winter hours look like, so.

scarlet ave. on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Normal hours: 8am-5pm M-F
    Summer hours: 8:30am-4:30pm M-F

And we still get paid that extra hour! Weee.

Not like it matters much I suppose.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    mcp wrote: »
    Everyday is casual Friday where I work.

I wear jeans everyday.

We're allowed to drink alcohol at our desks too.

But, you're not suppose to get hammered.

I remember one day a few years ago, I went back into editorial to do something and a couple of the editors were doing shots of tequila at their desk. That was pretty funny.

is your company hiring?

Monoxide on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm partially responsible for making the work schedule for lifeguards here

We have 18, EIGHTEEN fucking lifeguards on the payroll

It is nearly impossible to give everyone the hours they want without having 6 people on the beach standing around with their thumbs up their asses because we don't actually need them that day

So I have people complaining that they only work 2 days in a week and one of the girls isn't even showing up on her days and I'm trying to get in touch with the boss to tell him he hired too many fucking people, well no I guess we can't just fire them now if they haven't done anything wrong and fuck it

Grey Ghost on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    there's really no dress code at my job. i wear shorts daily, and sometimes on especially hot days i'll wear t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.

also, i have 124 vacation hours accrued, but i refuse to take them because they pay out when i leave (which will be in September for school).

the wook on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    at work today some fucking scum was talking about stealing power tools as a self sustaining business on the side

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a shit load of frequent flyer miles that I apparently can't do anything with because they're for fucking Australia

ascot on
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been working 9-3 at my regular job, which I guess can be considered summer hours since I usually work like, 12-9.

But I'm also interning at a newspaper from 5-10, so I basically am working all day anyways.

Also, I'm pumped because I have almost double the vacation hours/personal time built up than what I thought I had. I hate my job though. Retail pharmacy is terrible.

Cornell002 on
    edited June 2009
    i wear whatever the fuck i want to work, that's another cool thing about my job, plus they give bonuses all the time, every 3 months, at christmas and they gave us a bonus in march just for being awesome.

That Dave Fella on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dave give me your job

also: your soul

your sweet, sweet soul

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2009
    anjin you're welcome to apply and move to ireland, or apply and move to austin or irvine

do it

That Dave Fella on