As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On] PC games for a pad man

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Alright guys, here's the thing. I'm primarily a 360 gamer. I have a Wii and PS2 but graphics spoil me blah blah blah. Unfortunately the 360 died so I have just the PC (the other two are dead to me). My problem is that I can't use k&m controls for shit. I'm like a new driver constantly looking down at the gear stick (manual ftw) only I'm searching for the right key to press to bring up a map. It's more work than fun. So... I need games that'll run with my 360 pad. But here's the catch, they gotta be quite old.

Not ancient or anything, my rig will run stuff like Stalker relatively fine. Just not quite Modern Warfare standard. Any thoughts?

Big Classy on

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Not ancient or anything, my rig will run stuff like Stalker relatively fine. Just not quite Modern Warfare standard. Any thoughts?
    My computer can run Modern Warfare okay, but STALKER doesn't run worth shit, unless I set it to "unbearably, unplayable ugly" on the video options. Can't wait to play that one when I get a new PC in a few years.

Left For Dead supports a controller and has fairly low system requirements, but you might be better off just playing it on the 360.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CoD 4 is a very well optimized PC game. You shouldn't have any trouble running it with some graphic options turned down.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bioshock for the PC has options for a 360 controller in the settings menu (as does most PC games that were ported from the 360).

I tried using a 360 controller for PC games as well. It will only work if you have a wired 360 controller or if you have a wireless controller USB adapter made by Microsoft. You can't use a wireless 360 controller even with the play and charge adapter for the wireless controller without the wireless USB adapter for PC.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have the wireless 360 adaptor but it doesn't appear to be working. The 'X' ring just flashes and it isn't detected. The adaptor itself is installed fine.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have the wireless 360 adaptor but it doesn't appear to be working. The 'X' ring just flashes and it isn't detected. The adaptor itself is installed fine.

Ok, is it the WiFi adapter for the 360 or is it a Microsoft PC Wireless controller adapter?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Did you sync up the controllers? There should be a small button somewhere on the wireless adaptor and a button on the top of the controller (Little white one near the batteries if I remember right)

Just remember if you go back to your 360 (if you repair/replace it) you'll need to sync that up as well (Again its a small little white button on the front of the console)

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Did you sync up the controllers? There should be a small button somewhere on the wireless adaptor and a button on the top of the controller (Little white one near the batteries if I remember right)

Just remember if you go back to your 360 (if you repair/replace it) you'll need to sync that up as well (Again its a small little white button on the front of the console)

He's talking about getting his 360 controller to work on his PC.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

Ok, is it the WiFi adapter for the 360 or is it a Microsoft PC Wireless controller adapter?

360 wifi adaptor and yes I did sync them up but it just keeps flashing.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FPSes. You can't get much simpler than WASD + maybe ctrl and space + mouse.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

360 wifi adaptor and yes I did sync them up but it just keeps flashing.

I'm pretty sure the 360 controller isn't compatible with the WiFi adapter on PC. I don't think the wireless 360 controller transmits on 802.11a/b/g. You need to buy a special adapter for your PC to receive signals from the wireless 360 controller.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well this is what I got...
    xbox_360_windows_adapter.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone sell the adapter by itself for a reasonable price? It seems to be off the market unless you get it with a pad, but that's no fun for people who already have lots of pads.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh well in that case it should work, you just need to make sure you have the right drivers for it. The correct drivers should be found through the Microsoft store.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That's what I have and I just plug it in, press the green X and windows finds a new standard USB gamepad that works with anything.

I don't think you need to install any drivers for it. At least not on vista.

Logicow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does the pad light continually flash? I mean all four lights flashing together as a ring, not in turn. Cause that's what happens after I sync it up.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DMC4 got a pretty brilliant port to the PC, probably the best port job I've ever seen, and it's naturally meant for a gamepad.

Don't know how well it'll run on your system, but there's a demo that you can try and it has a handy timedemo feature that'll put the game through its paces and tell you how well it performed at the settings you used.

Anyway, other than that, most games that got a console port have gamepad compatibility these days, most FPS's too (even Crysis has native gamepad support, although I suspect that might not be an option for you right now). Dead Space is another good game, but again, I don't know about performance.

What types of games are you interested in? KBAM FPS's are probably out of the question for you, but as I said, most support gamepads as well. Otherwise there's things like strategy games, and most of those can be operated with just the mouse. TBS games in particular. The Witcher's usually a heavily recommended RPG depending on what types of RPG you're into (if you only like JRPG's then it probably won't be a good fit), and you can control that solely with the mouse as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CORTEX COMMAND! GET IT!

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I got the adaptor to work. Basically there's a common fault where after a certain period of time the adaptor starts to suck too much juice outta the USB. You've gotta disconnect all othe USB devices and then reboot. Then you plug in the adaptor and it should work. Unfortunately plugging other USb devices in will result in the adaptor getting borked again. Shoddy Microsoft products FTW!

Subedii, good stuff there. I'm not really bothered about genres, I'll take anything. Somewhat strangely Crysis actually runus pretty decently, albeit on really low settings but it's still decent-ish. But then that was only the time. On the other side I've got stuff from years ago that just won't run at all. Severance Blade of Darkness and Soldier of Fortune have a knack for ruining my mojo. Oh, and Cod4 doesn't run well at all. Even on low settings. Its the stupid X1300Pro Radeon card. Are there any better Hallf-height cards out there?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What about the Half-Life series? Or pretty much anything in the Source engine for that matter, those games tend to run really well.

The C&C / Red Alert series is still going strong today, and usually doesn't stress systems that much. They still maintain the series tradition of so-bad-it's-good FMV cutscenes.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I completely forgot I had a few oe so games on steam. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    Half life 2 and the two episodes
    Hitman trilogy
    STALKER
    Counterstrike

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know how well your pc can run these games, perhaps with the settings turned down a bit but:

Deadspace
    GRID
    Prototype
    Bionic Commando Rearmed
    Mirror's Edge
    Xmen Wolverine
    Assasins Creed

and one of my favourite freeware titles: Jumpman

Anyway, other games that don't support it can usually be played with xpadder and not to mention emulators etc Most of my gaming time is just devoted to reliving nes games these days, really sucking the power out of the 4870x2!

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm the 23rd post and nobody has mentioned Cave Story.

For shame, PA.

joshofalltrades on