As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penumbra: "Regardless, you need a hand. I do not. Bring me a saw." No cowards or 56k!

13»

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Helloween wrote: »
    I loved the underground lake part myself. But yeah, I thought Black Plague was far better than Overture, but Overture serves its purpose of getting you into the story.

Also (big ending spoilers!)...
    I thought Red's character was really well designed, as well as how your meeting with him plays out. When I found the note explaining he'd been down there since he was 14, living in hell pretty much, I felt much better about ending his life.

But Jesus, the sounds that dude make while he's burning alive... Ugh... That was pretty rough.

Regarding the above spoilers (Big spoilers)
    I myself happened to enjoy those sounds. Bastard put me through loads.
    The only time I was really thinking "man, fuck this guy" was when he sent me throught that goddamn spider tunnel to get to the storage room, then tells me it wasn't necessary and he was just fucking with me. But I started to feel sorry for the old coot.

What really freaked me out was how long he was screaming for... I thought it would be quick I guess. I mean, industrial incinerator and all.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So everytime I punch in the code and enter Section C the game crashes on the loading screen.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's a fix you can put into some of the config files that gets rid of the gesture system for combat in the first game.

Sure it makes it easier, but goddamn was it welcome when I played.

Duki on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Helloween wrote: »
    When I did my Let's Play on this series I had to pay full price. And god was it worth it. One of the scariest fucking series of games I have played in a long time. Some bits actually got me shaking. SO good.

Helloween, I've been watching your Let's Play videos for a while and had no idea the originator was from our very own PA forums! What a surprise, haha. I don't frequent G&T as much anymore, so I had no idea.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just purchased Overture and Black Plague. And I'm allergic to horror. EGADS! D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I just purchased Overture and Black Plague. And I'm allergic to horror. EGADS! D:

Have fun. Overture is great, but there are parts you might need to be more tolerable for. However, most of the complaints mentioned in this thread address a certain play style I never used, i.e., actually trying to kill things.

(Not-so-much spoilers to those who played Overture already)
    I mean, okay so the battle mechanic is a little fucked out, and it's hard to kill spiders. But I never killed a spider. The mechanic of shining your light on them and having them skitter away temporarily while I frantically tried to figure out what to do next was so much more fun, and terrifying

Black Plague is even better. Better in just about every respect, in fact.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can actually kill spiders with the pick axe very reliably. In fact I went through one session where I killed upwards of 20 spiders and 3 or 4 dogs without dying/reloading.

Desperate times called for desperate 'learn how to hit stuff' measures.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok maybe it was my mistake by choosing hard, but those Spider tunnels in Overture are bullshit. 2 hits and I'm dead, and I can't run in the tunnels. Any ideas? I don't feel like starting over.

EDIT Never mind, I found a way to put some more distance between them and me. I can get to the storage room now.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok maybe it was my mistake by choosing hard, but those Spider tunnels in Overture are bullshit. 2 hits and I'm dead, and I can't run in the tunnels. Any ideas? I don't feel like starting over.

EDIT Never mind, I found a way to put some more distance between them and me. I can get to the storage room now.
    Basically, every time you encounter the little assholes, the game will give you rocks/crates/shit to smash to keep them at bay. Fighting them is kind of a last resort thing.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Beat overtune earlier today, and started working on Black Plauge. I am very happy with picking this up when it was 5$. To be honest though (black Plauge/overtune spoliers ahead)
    black plauge dosent feel nearly as scarry as ovetune due to the voice thats inside you, or infection or whatever. Honestly, "it" feels more like a companion then some demon or part of infection or whatever it supose to be. The feeling of isolation, and being the only sane person has disapeared really. Granted the voice may be from going insane, im not exctally sure yet. It mentioned red, which has made me curious.

Sadly this week is the last week of school, so I may not touch this much till the end. Cant wait to start up again though.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have to say that I really liked Overture, despite not getting into the whole "hide from the dogs" part. It looks like a lot went into giving you ways to take them out other than throwing stuff at them, but that was all I did. I had a lot of beef jerky and such by the end.
    Red had been there since he was 14? You found that out in Overture? wow...

Oh and GIANT FUCKING WORMS WHAT THE FUCK

Antithesis on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In retrospect, there are a couple of things I wonder about with Red, Eminiss, and Clarence. Endgame spoilers here:
    Obviously isolation made Red insane, and the infection kept him from simply killing himself. But if withstanding the infection let him partition the Tuurngait virus in his mind, how did it manifest? Given that genuine infected have no base personality, did others that were isolated develop in a similar fashion as Clarence? Or would it depend on the person?

Eminiss was obviously in the process of full infection, though he at least didn't sound fully gone until he started attacking. His intentions may well have been legit until he put his own life at risk, at which point the virus took over. It's questionable how long Red was infected, but it's possible that his own insanity was keeping the virus at bay longer; I'm envisioning a crazy-off between Red and Clarence and it's some confusing stuff.

It's a shame Requiem is basically just the puzzles, because it's still pretty atmospheric and it had potential. I did like the snippets of story it provided, namely the recordings left behind by
    Carpenter, last heard being dragged to his presumed death in Black Plague. Apparently, he went through what you go through in Requiem. Eminiss also makes an appearance, of sorts.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For whatever reason, the Print Screen key isn't working for me when I'm playing Overture: it just grabs an image of my desktop instead. Does anyone happen to have a screenshot of

(last moment of the game spoilers, I guess)
    The figure at the end of the hallway before it goes dark? That was awesome.

What a great last couple of minutes, I wish there were more moments like that.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Don't have the photo, but you should get FRAPS. It's a 5mb program that lets you take all the screens and video you want, conveniently sent to your FRAPS folder when you take them.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Don't have the photo, but you should get FRAPS. It's a 5mb program that lets you take all the screens and video you want, conveniently sent to your FRAPS folder when you take them.

I second this.

Requiem is...interesting. I would have prefered the games in their original 3 game format though I think.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It took about a half hour of playing Requiem before I realized something was very very wrong.

Edit: I summed it up in the STEAM thread, but I 'll post it here since it's a better fit.
    Eesh, Penumbra Requiem is an oddity. You know when a game later in a series gets mediocre reviews, but the reviewer says, well, it's not great, but if you loved the first two you should check it out.

Well Requiem is like the exact opposite. If you loved the first two, you probably should stay away.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quick screenshot of the Overture hallway, spoilered for size:
    overturehallway.jpg

That's about as close as I could get before the lights start cutting. If you crank the brightness you can still barely make it out once the lights drop, but you can't get closer than that gas canister.

And yeah, don't get me wrong, Requiem was basically a cockpunch. It teased with just enough snippets of a story to make me want to finish, hoping it tied something up. Sadly, it did not. I think it's pretty well accepted that Black Plague is as far as canon goes.

Which is really too bad, because considering how Black Plague ends, shit could've gotten really interesting immediately afterward.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    After Black Plague, I thought
    Oh sweet. Phillip dies, and the last thing you do in the game is write that letter that you see every time you start the game. A full circle sort of thing. I assumed (I didn't know anything about it previously) that Requiem would have you playing the letter's recipient, arriving at the facility to finish the work Phillip started.

But nope :(

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I sort of got Requiem in a roundabout fashion; got Overture and Black Plague separately via digital download, lost the records of both due to a timely hard drive crash, and reacquired them plus Requiem through Steam. Low reviews scared me off at first, but I gave it a go anyway, albeit with reduced expectations.

Sadly, I still got my hopes up when
    Eminiss said something to the effect of, "I know a lot about you, Philip. I know something else, too. I know... you told them about us." I believed shit was about to go down. Alas, it was not to be.
    And Philip dies anyway, making the whole thing either a waste of time or an Owl Creek Bridge thing, which might've worked if they'd handled it a bit better. Say, Philip making a daring escape to the surface, only to find the Hive was in the process of killing his brain, or he died in a cave-in or something. Cut to a scene of a ground-piercing nuke vaporizing the place, courtesy of Archaic.

I regret because I love. I was sucked in by the project ever since the tech demo, which is still one of the scariest things I've ever played.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was sad to watch a few video reviews (Just to see how others liked the game), and saw that most of them were playing at an insane gamma level. The parts that were scary and pitch black and terrifying for me with my lone flashlight and glow stick were simply dim areas, lit up further with the flashlight for the reviewers.

I guess you could say "Well they needed the video review to be visible." but I sort of disagree, given the flashlight/glowstick element. That's how it's supposed to look--in my opinion, even in a video review.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I still can't get past the first dog in this game - I always freeze up. I could not be a Lovecraftian protagonist - I wouldn't last long enough to meet a bad end.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, I turned on the mining machine. I think now that I've screwed my courage up for this game and conquered it to a point where I'm barely afraid, no game but STALKER will provide terror to me. Penumbra is fantastic and I think I'm just gonna go right into Black Plague.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Overture gave you the willies?

Oh lord, you're in for some fun Faffel. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Overture gave you the willies?

Oh lord, you're in for some fun Faffel. :P

How could it not give me the willies?

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Stupid jailing not letting me edit... I have 1300-ish pages of Lovecraft collections sitting on my desk, a Lovecraft tattoo and have seen pretty much every Lovecraft-related movie I can get my hands on. This game has set my imagination loose like a wild dog running blindly into the jaws of a lurking horror, so when things appear and try to kill me it's a relief to what I'm thinking could be lurking around here.

And even without all that, it's still the creepiest most desolate environment I've seen in any game, just about ever.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I meant it more in the sense of "if Overture gave you the willies, Black Plague is going to make you shit yourself."

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, well... yes. The trailer alone made my heart skip a beat when the manster appeared. I'm excited.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That was quite the ending - how many horror games end with your heart pounding? I don't know, this is the only one I've ever beat.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the last hour or so of Black Plague is fantastic.
    Specifically, the part where Clarence fucking wrecks your shit, mentally speaking. Making the door disappear was diabolical.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the last hour or so of Black Plague is fantastic.
    Specifically, the part where Clarence fucking wrecks your shit, mentally speaking. Making the door disappear was diabolical.

I'm only a very small way into Black Plague. I'm in the dark after destroying a power panel and finding this place incredibly creepy so solving the puzzle is hard.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm just bumping this thread for our impending October. Any seeker of horror deserves to seek this out and experience it. I wouldn't even watch one part of Helloween's LP beforehand if you can avoid it. Some of the finest gaming I've ever experienced and that's without counting the horror.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    I'm just bumping this thread for our impending October. Any seeker of horror deserves to seek this out and experience it. I wouldn't even watch one part of Helloween's LP beforehand if you can avoid it. Some of the finest gaming I've ever experienced and that's without counting the horror.

I'm going to bump this thread as well. Not only is October now here and not impending, the entire trilogy of Penumbra games is $5.00 at Direct2Drive this week.

Right here. Five dollars. Download and play it right now.

Buy it. Install it. Turn off all the lights in your house and put the headphones on, and enjoy ...

... monkey.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, for the longest time the dogs scared the hell outta me... having to be all sneaky for fear that my head would get bitten off.

Then finally, there were way too many dogs to continue to be sneaky around so I said, FUCK IT! YOU BITCHES ARE GOING DOWN!

Picked up a barrel and proceeded to throw it at the fuckers head. Picked the barrel up again when it started to move and put the dog back down. I kept wailing on that dog until it stopped standing back up.

After that I just kept a barrel on me at all times to smash any dog I saw into a pulp.

Garick on