As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Newbie Phallas - GAME OVER - Cheaters / Honest Students Victories

Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Critical Failures
Crazy Newbie Phalla:
Co-hosted by Dac Vin (Some invincibility required.)

crazy_harry.jpg

This is a faction game where two factions, the Technological Cheaters and The Old School Cheaters are pitted against each other in an attempt to out-number the other while mutually seeking out and destroying a third unknown faction which has been rising in power.

Playerlist
coutts - Old Sch Miller (wins with Old School) who is the seer, guard, and vig for that faction
GreenTea - Tech Vote Manipulator who is the seer, guard and vig for that faction
Hellbunny - Honest Student
vagrant_winds - Honest Student

Honest Student Victory!

The former top of the class (Jaenther) achieve a minor victory by the death of all the faction leaders. Too bad he's not alive to rightfully claim it.

The Dead:
Day 1:
ShadowThomas - Tech Cheater - Burned at the stake
TheWickerMan - Tech Cheater - Beaten to death

CorpseRT - Honest Student Leader - Shot
Gnersh - Tech Cheater Co-Leader - Shot

Day 2:
Julius Caezure - Honest Student - Burned Alive and Beaten to Death
Ebfan - Tech Cheater - Shot
Shanic - Old School Cheater - Shot

Day 3:
NOdgarb - Honest Student - Burned alive
RainOPain - Old School Leader - Beaten to Death
vertroue - Tech Cheater - Shot
Timmer - Old School Cheater - Shot
jaenther - Former Top of the Class Student - Beaten to Death

Day 4:
Houn - Honest Student - Burned Alive

Day 5:
psolms - Honest Student Leader - Burned to Death
dunedainjedi - Honest Student - Shot

Verr - Old School Leader - Shot

College: The Newbie Phalla
College: The NEWBIE PHALLA
Co-hosted by Dac Vin (Some invincibility required.)
Special Thanks to Julius Caezure for being the candy sponsor

TRINITY-COLLEGE-LIBRARY-DUB%20().jpg

Welcome to College!
Following Newbie Phalla information shamelessly stolen from Sheeps Have Wool's newbie phalla seen Here

What is Phalla?
Phallas are the Penny Arcade forum version of the party game Mafia. For more information about Phalla on the forums, you should click here. If you want more information in a wiki format, click here instead.

So how is this a newbie Phalla?
This Phalla is for new players only! If you've played in 5 or fewer Phallas, or you're brand new, this is a great game to play. Why? You'll be playing with other new players, and you'll also be able to get advice from veteran Phalla players to help improve your play. This game will only include basic roles.

What if I'm not a newbie?
You can still participate! Veteran players can act as mentors in this Phalla by posting their comments in DeepSkyBlue while the game is in progress. You should read the rules below about non-player posts below before making a post. Failure to follow the rules will result in you losing your chance at fabulous prizes.
candy.jpg

...Fabulous prizes?
Yes! The mentor/veteran player that is voted Most Helpful by the players will win a fabulous candy pack prize! In addition, the newbie voted MVP by a select group of veteran players will also receive a candy prize of his/her very own!

Wow! Candy! I'm a newbie to Phalla - how do I play?
  • After signups have ended, you'll receive a role PM. This PM contains information about the role you will play in the game. This PM should not be shared with another player.
  • Follow the Basic Rules:
    The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village is a small number of bad guys. Normally, the bad guys all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.

Each day (normally 24-hour period) the village discusses and publically votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose one person to kill each night and PM the name to the narrator.

The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kill, so it's inevitable).

Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, although how many of each role exist is most often known.

Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died is a good special.
  • Other Rules:
    You may not communicate regarding the game with someone who is dead.

You may not use any anonymous method of communication to discuss the game. Forum-based PMs, external IMs, and e-mails are allowed as long as the person you are talking to knows who you are. Setting up a Proboard can be a good idea, but inform me of the URL if you do so.

You may not use screencaps to "prove" anything to anyone.
  • You might also wish to look at the Standard Special Roles, as some or all may be appearing (depending on the number of signups):
    Roles will have different names depending on the theme of the game. Listed below are the usual "generic" terms for each role. Normally, specials exercise their power by communicating with the narrator via PM.

Seer -- once per night can "investigate" a particular person and find out from the narrator if they are a bad guy. Variations of seers may be able to determine a good special as well, although they may be unable to distinguish them from a bad guy.

Vigilante -- once per night can kill a person of their choosing.

Guardian -- once per night can protect someone from any death other than execution by the village. Whether they can protect against multiple attacks on one person in the same night is up to the narrator.

Masons -- a group of good guys, usually of similar size to the group of bad guys, who start the game knowing each other, and that they are all good.
  • There is a possibility of neutral alignment in this game
    Neutral Alignment -- This role can win with either the mafia or the village. Sometimes they are even given special powers to make this easier. If a neutral appears in this game, they will simply have a survival win condition and only need to last until either the mafia or village wins. If the neutral is alive at the end of the game they will share the victory.
  • Vote each day by posting your choice in !red. You can (optionally) retract a vote by posting in !Lime. This is not required, but I do appreciate it. You must vote each day - inactivity = death and/or disqualification.

Each day will end at 10:00 PM EST. Any vote or action made after 9:59 PM WILL NOT count.
  • Ask questions of the moderator by posting in orange or sending me a PM.
Wow! Candy! I'm a veteran Phalla player - how do I play?
Veteran players who wish to participate by offering advice do not need to sign up. You may post in the thread in DeepSkyBlue while the game is in progress. I may put in a post limit if the thread becomes too spammy. Do your best to avoid making many short posts - longer, single posts keep the thread less cluttered. The rules:
  • Do NOT directly comment on the current game situation. You may offer general advice and answer questions, and you may offer commentary on previous day actions as long as it doesn't influence the current day.
    Bad: Kime was evil, and SpectralSpork argued for him - you should vote him out today.
    Good: Once you find a baddie, checking the vote records for previous days can be really helpful.
  • Do NOT play for the newbies. You are assisting them.
  • Do NOT contact a newbie outside of the thread. Your purpose is to give advice to everyone, not to one person in particular.
Failure to follow these rules results in disqualification! When in doubt, send me a PM to ask if something is OK to post. There will be ZERO tolerance of rule violations.

[*] When you sign up also make a note of the number of mini an main games you have played in. The game signups will ensure that the most newbie people will be granted a slot. If all goes well, role pms will go out tomorrow evening and we can have Day 1 end on monday at 10:00 PM EST.

Deaths and Surviving Players
Day 1 deaths:
Erich Zahn - Student - Voted out
dunedainjedi - Student - Framed
godmode - Student - Framed
blibblob - Teacher's Assistant (Guard) - Talked to by the Top of the Class

Day 2 deaths:
SmugglyMcWeed - Student - Voted out, but found underneath a giant pile of rocks that fell from the ceiling
Timmer - Easily Distracted Student (Seer) - Framed
Ebfan - Student - Framed
Jaenther - Cheater- Talked to by the Top of the Class

Day 3 deaths:
vagrant_winds - Student - Voted out
Houn - Student - Framed
ShadowThomas - Top of the Class Student (Vig) - Framed
Shanic - Cheater - Murdered

Day 4 deaths:
RainofPain - Student - Voted out
CorpseRT - Student - Framed
greentea - Student - Framed

Surviving
TheWickerMan - Student
Gnersh - Cheater
Julius Caezure - Cheater

Villager Role Pm
You are a college student!

34fe5ar.jpg

You work really hard to get good grades in college, but sometimes the classes are just really hard and a little bit over your head. At least you still have a sense of morality though. You hold your ideals in very high esteem, and you would never dream of cheating. The only thing that gets you through the hard work needed to pass each of your classes is the reassurance that the teacher will be curving everyone’s grade at the end of the class. Unfortunately, those in your class who cheat just bring this curve down and make everyone that deserves their grade, do that much worse at the end of the class.

Every day you must vote in bold red in the thread for who you wish to report to the teacher as a suspected cheater. The teacher is lazy so they will remove the student from the class without bothering to check if the allegations are true.

Your win condition is to eliminate all the Cheaters.

Narration Links

MVP: Julius
MHV: Spectrum

Orange Soda on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Technological Cheaters Role PM:
    You are a member of the Technological Cheaters.

jv0jyr.jpg

In the battle for control over the college, you and several likeminded individuals have decided that the best way to gain power is to use any and all technology available to you to cheat. No longer is it just about getting by in class, but survival. The battle for control over the school has turned violent and people are not just getting thrown out of school, but are winding up dead. Lucky for you there are those in your group who do not mind getting a little blood on their hands for the sake of power.

There are those among the population who do not agree with the ideals of either Cheater Factions. Vote in the thread in bold red for a member of the school to be publicly
    executed as a traitor to Cheaters of all kinds each night in the center of the school green.

Your win condition is to outnumber the Old School Cheaters and to eliminate all threats to the Technological Cheaters.

Old School Cheaters Role PM:
    You are a member of the Old School Cheaters.

2uqn1id.jpg

In the battle for control over the college, you and several likeminded individuals have decided that the best way to gain power is to use the tried and true methods of cheating to gain power. Your opposing faction has relied too much on technology for advancement, but you know that technology is limited and does not match the power of tradition. You are the oldest group of cheaters in the college’s history and you have operated under the radar for years without detection. With the sudden upheaval of turmoil, it is no longer just about getting by in class, but survival. The battle for control over the school has turned violent and people are not just getting thrown out of school, but are winding up dead. Lucky for you there are those in your group who do not mind getting a little blood on their hands for the sake of power.

There are those among the population who do not agree with the ideals of either Cheater Factions. Vote in the thread in bold red for a member of the school to be publicly executed as a traitor to Cheaters of all kinds each night in the center of the school green.

Your win condition is to outnumber the Technological Cheaters and to eliminate all threats to the Old School Cheaters.

Disclaimer Link

Day 0 - Prologue

Day 1 - Chaos

Day 2

Day 3 - Betrayal

Day 4 - Epic Failure

Day 5

Day 5 - Final Narration

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want candy.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FOR AMERICA!

(Sign up!)

Edit: I've participated in two minis, signed up for a third that hasn't started yet

godmode on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Remember to Put how many minis and mains you have played in in your signup post

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Remember Kids. Always remember to bring your towel.

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !sign up.
    completely a nub.

GreenTea on
  • Options
    GnershGnersh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mmmm Candy This will be my second phalla.

Gnersh on
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I have played in one mini before this

Ebfan on
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Signup I hope.

1 main. 4 minis.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Signup, maybe I won't die day one.

Two minis, One main.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !sign up.

1 main, 4 minis

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    blibblobblibblob Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    !signup
    None.

blibblob on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !signup
    none

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, we're starting this right now? Err I mean...

Hello kids, the name's Dac Vin, and I will be your cohost in this grandiose adventure. Remember, invincibility is bad and there will be none of it in this phalla!

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Hello kids, the name's Dac Vin, and I will be your cohost in this grandiose adventure. Remember, invincibility is bad and there will be none of it in this phalla!

He speaks only lies children. This man is a soulless creation who delights only in your suffering. And well all know THAT'S my job.

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

He speaks only lies children. This man is a soulless creation who delights only in your suffering. And well all know THAT'S my job.

Do not force me to write bad erotic fanfiction starring you and the suffering of children.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Spork only exists to sow confusion and chaos for his own entertainment. Listen to him at your own peril.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Do not force me to write bad erotic fanfiction starring you and the suffering of children.

My Christmas present? Early? Yay!

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

Spork only exists to sow confusion and chaos for his own entertainment. Listen to him at your own peril.

You can't deny I tend to survive longer then you thinky types. :P

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You sure? It's really bad. Ask kime.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You can't deny I tend to survive longer then you thinky types. :P
    You can't deny I contribute more in one day than you do over the entire game.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't mind Dac Vin. I might enjoy it even.

I contribute to inevitible victory. Always.

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm "Masquerading" as a veteran. Here's some advice that will take you far... the guy outside, in the van? Yeah, he doesn't have any candy. Don't go in there.

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sign me up. I've played two minis and a main.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Dagon wrote: »
    I'm "Masquerading" as a veteran. Here's some advice that will take you far... the guy outside, in the van? Yeah, he doesn't have any candy. Don't go in there.

Oh hey, did you play in the IRC game I ran? :winky:

This should be interesting to watch. Also, good choice on having a picture of Trinity College, Soda! :P

Burnage on
  • Options
    SmugglyMcWeedSmugglyMcWeed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !signup none?

SmugglyMcWeed on
    "Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see." ~Thomas Jefferson, 1781
  • Options
    RainOPainRainOPain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !signup
    I've played in one game before

RainOPain on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A surprising amount of players so far. You might not even need me to reserve.

(Missing a signup from GtC thus far? Surprising.)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    during this game I will only be giving advice on how to be evil and how to be a good vanillager.

It works better that way for everybody.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    during this game I will only be giving advice on how to be evil and how to be a good vanillager.

It works better that way for everybody.

Step 1 to be a good evil: Be overpowered as fuck.
    I wanted to be Luca Blight, not some dinky strategist with crap stats!

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can help too, I guess.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Being quiet can get you bandwagoned. Don't do it.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Being loud can get you bandwagoned. Don't do it.

Also, blue post for blue dot! ;-)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spreadsheeting can get you bandwagoned. Don't do it.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You sure? It's really bad. Ask kime.

Fear Dac Vin's writing.

The first day is gonna be a little chaotic, since no one will really have any info (voting records, seering results, etc) to go on. If you end up getting a lot of votes that day, don't take it personally. Of course their reasoning will be horrible, but then again it nearly always is :P.

Spreadsheeting can get you bandwagoned. Don't do it.

This is the appropriate place for that "Things that make you suspicious" list from that recent D&D Phalla. Someone go find it :lol:.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Spreadsheeting can get you killed by the mafia early. Don't do it.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shit.

We can't just all scream KIME and hope to get away with it day one.....I knew that not having all the experienced players around had to have it's drawbacks.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Being loud can get you bandwagoned. Don't do it.

Also, blue post for blue dot! ;-)

Why you don't just use thread tools and subscribe to the thread CC will always be beyond me :P

This is a good way to keep track of the phallas you have been in, or the current ones as they update:

Click on thread tools near the top of the page
    (if you are logged in) the option "Subscribe to this Thread" will be available, click it.
    Now click okay.
    This thread can now be seen in User Panel and the only threads that will usually pop up are those that have new responses you haven't read.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Set your personal forum options to Invisible. Trust us.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Set your personal forum options to Invisible. Trust us.
    ^^^^Yeah, that's good advise.

Also, OS, posting is a much cooler way to have the blue dot than cheating!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile