As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Games suggestions thread!

Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
Alright, well. My dad just picked up a PS3 (mostly for the blu-ray player). I was wondering what games were kinda a must to pick up. He's keeping it in the living room, and we don't have wi-fi, so I doubt we'll get it online.

I have a 360 and already have COD4/WAW, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, GTAI4... etc, so I'm mostly looking for Exclusives.

Thanks guys.

Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
Toxin01 on

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Alright, well. My dad just picked up a PS3 (mostly for the blu-ray player). I was wondering what games were kinda a must to pick up. He's keeping it in the living room, and we don't have wi-fi, so I doubt we'll get it online.

I have a 360 and already have COD4/WAW, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, GTAI4... etc, so I'm mostly looking for Exclusives.

Thanks guys.

Light the Slash Signal!
    /

Or just go here

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uncharted, infamous hopefully with the uncharte2 beta, KZ2, lbp, Valkyaria Chronicles.

Maybe Resistance 2, motorstorm 2 and Warhawk.

Downloadables PJ monsters and eden. Also Super stardust has entertained me alot.

If your not afraid to import you could get Demons Soul now or wait for the fall release.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Malechai wrote: »
    Uncharted, infamous hopefully with the uncharte2 beta, KZ2, lbp, Valkyaria Chronicles.

Downloadables PJ monsters and eden. Also Super stardust has entertained me alot.

If your not afraid to import you could get Demons Soul now or wait for the fall release.

I don't think downloadable games are in, since I can't hook up online. Also Warhawk would be pointless as well, I think?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    edited June 2009

I don't think downloadable games are in, since I can't hook up online. Also Warhawk would be pointless as well, I think?

And the uncharted 2 beta. KZ2, Resistance2 and Lbp lose alot without online also.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited June 2009
    So I guess I can pick up Infamous, Valkyria Chronicles, And MGS4 and call it a day huh?

Toxin01 on
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune because it is absolutely fuckawesome, seriously, this should be the first thing you get, no ifs or buts.

LittleBigPlanet because if you have ever liked a platformer even the slightest bit, you will adore this game. However, YMMV due to lack of online.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, because it's the thing you show off your telly with, and also because it plays like Mario Kart without the cheating CPUs, stupid items, and annoying Nintendo characters. In other words, an excellent arcade racer. Use your own music as a soundtrack though, as the included one is ear-bleedingly awful.

Beware of Valkyria Chronicles even though people treat it like the second coming around here, because while I found the gameplay fun, I couldn't stomach the characters or storyline, but if you have a high tolerance for garbage anime, get this.

I have not bought Killzone 2 nor inFamous (I'm a bit behind the curve), but having played demos for both, I can safely say that they would be excellent purchases.

If you're looking for something a little more out there, import/wait a few months for the US release of Afrika. If Pokemon Snap was the Mario Kart of photography games, this is the Gran Turismo. Full on realistic wildlife photography simulator with gorgeous graphics. This is surprisingly engaging.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I guess I can pick up Infamous, Valkyria Chronicles, And MGS4 and call it a day huh?

These are what I reccomend whole heartedly, Infamous and MGS4 alone made me extremely happy to be a PS3 owner, and Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing title as well.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good single-player, offline games:

Valkyria Chronicles
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Infamous
    Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Afrika (you can get it now if you don't mind importing)
    Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
    Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
    Folklore
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Heavenly Sword (I personally wasn't a fan, but enough people here seem to dig it)

EDIT: If you can only pick up three, go with Uncharted, Infamous, and random third title from that list (Valkyria Chronicles if accessible strategy games are your bag).

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2009
    Not realy a recomendation, but a cautionary tale. My home was struck by lightining this past thursday, the event totaly fried alot of electronics in the house. PS3 was on a surge protector but unfortunatly the TV it was hooked up to was not. Just got a replacment tv hooked everything up to sadly discover that the current traveled through the HDMI cable and fried the video output circuts of my PS3.

So remember have your TV on a surge protector too.:oops:

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Flower is wonderful. Short, but cheap.

LewieP on
    edited June 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

No internet for his PS3.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • PhroPhro Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I personally couldn't get into the Valkyrie Chronicles demo...but then again anime-y video games annoy me, so that's neither here nor there.

BUT! How has no one mentioned Ratchet and Clank yet!? That was probably the first game I beat on my PS3! It's a bit cute, yes, but it's also an amazingly fun game.

And you won't have to worry about anyone complaining about non-pg13 games in the living room.

Phro on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls (import, but coming soon to the US :D) are two of the best games this generation in my opinion. VC for the excellent strategy game plus a very good JRPG story ("garbage anime" is certainly not how I would describe it), and DS for God-Hand levels of fair but punishing difficulty, great atmosphere and addictive character progression.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • PhroPhro Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Also...you might consider either getting a wireless router or a really long cable. I don't have my PS3 constantly hooked up to the Internet...but it definitely enhances the experience. And you'll need some interweb action to update the Blu-Ray software to get all the fancy new features Sony added. Whatever they may be. (I don't have a single blu-ray movie. *shurgs*)

Phro on
    edited June 2009
    He said no online...isn't Demon's Souls kind of dependent on online?

UnbreakableVow on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish Uncharted wasn't still so damn expensive. I fear that the moment I buy it, the price will drop by 20 dollars.

Zoolander on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No internet for his PS3.

He could always do for his PS3 what I used to do with my 360. I would temporarily relocate the system to a room where it could access the internet, download a bunch of demos and downloadable games, then put it back in the living room when it was finished. (I have since moved my router to my TV stand.)

My favorite PS3 exclusives are MGS4, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank Future, Uncharted, and Echochrome. I know Echochrome is on PSP, but I'm going to assume you don't have one.

Dirty on
    edited June 2009
    Zoolander wrote: »
    I wish Uncharted wasn't still so damn expensive. I fear that the moment I buy it, the price will drop by 20 dollars.

If you have Blockbusters around you, go there.

I usually see new copies of Uncharted there for $30.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not realy a recomendation, but a cautionary tale. My home was struck by lightining this past thursday, the event totaly fried alot of electronics in the house. PS3 was on a surge protector but unfortunatly the TV it was hooked up to was not. Just got a replacment tv hooked everything up to sadly discover that the current traveled through the HDMI cable and fried the video output circuts of my PS3.

So remember have your TV on a surge protector too.:oops:

Geez, and I thought my PS3 YLoD-ing 3 times was bad. I guess you're covered by insurance and can get them replaced?

Anyway, I'd highly recommend Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, MGS4, inFamous, Valkyria Chronicles and Killzone 2. The lack of online may affect you a little with Killzone 2 but seeing as you bought CoD4 and CoD WaW for the single player, I still think you'll enjoy it.

If you're planning on getting a couple of controllers and have some friends that'll play with you, you can add LBP to that list too. It's really fun to have a few friends jump into a game and play alongside each other, even without online.

Phro: He can just download the updates onto his computer, put it on a USB stick and update his PS3 that way. Alternatively, PS3 games should have the latest firmware included on the disc (the latest at the time of release anyway).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Phro wrote: »
    Also...you might consider either getting a wireless router or a really long cable. I don't have my PS3 constantly hooked up to the Internet...but it definitely enhances the experience. And you'll need some interweb action to update the Blu-Ray software to get all the fancy new features Sony added. Whatever they may be. (I don't have a single blu-ray movie. *shurgs*)

Your PS3 doesn't need an internet connection to update the firmware. You can download that on your PC, then copy it to a USB drive and your PS3 can install it from the USB drive.

Dirty on
    edited June 2009
    Dirty wrote: »

No internet for his PS3.

He could always do for his PS3 what I used to do with my 360. I would temporarily relocate the system to a room where it could access the internet, download a bunch of demos and downloadable games, then put it back in the living room when it was finished. (I have since moved my router to my TV stand.)

My favorite PS3 exclusives are MGS4, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank Future, Uncharted, and Echochrome. I know Echochrome is on PSP, but I'm going to assume you don't have one.

I do, heh.

Toxin01 on
    edited June 2009
    Also, if you do what Dirty said, there's a lot more to recommend suddenly.

Good exclusive PSN downloads:

Trash Panic
    Flower
    Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty
    Wipeout HD
    PixelJunk Eden
    Echocrome
    Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

And quite a few good old downloadable PS1 games, if you're into that (I certainly am).

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2009

It's fully playable offline. You just miss out on the co-op, PVP invasions by other players, and some neat stuff like players leaving messages and warnings in the gameworld.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited June 2009

The game can be played entirely offline. Infact some aspects of the game are easier when signed out of psn(World tendancy shifting 3-3 boss). You also don't have to worry about sudden pvp happening, but it also means you can't get co-op help on an exceptionaly hard boss fight or level.

Edit: beat like a stepchild.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    run an ethernet cable over to the ps3? Really it's not that hard to conceal one (being entirely unsure of your setup) but it widens your options a whole lot.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
    edited June 2009
    I'd have to run it down a hallway, downstairs, and into the room where we keep all our Gaming stuff.

Toxin01 on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would like to be the 10th person to tell you that if you dont get Uncharted, you are doing it wrong.

projectmayhem on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd have to run it down a hallway, downstairs, and into the room where we keep all our Gaming stuff.

Just bring it up for an hour or two when your dad isn't using it to download some PSN games then put it back?

Moioink on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alternatively we could just suggest games that don't require online like OP asked for. Out of my collection I can recommend Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and either Valkyria Chronicles or Disgaea depending on whether and how much you like SRPGs.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Alternatively we could just suggest games that don't require online like OP asked for. Out of my collection I can recommend Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and either Valkyria Chronicles or Disgaea depending on whether and how much you like SRPGs.
    Because everyone has suggested those games about 10 times.

Personally, I would suggest you go out and buy a wireless router. They are pretty cheap these days, and you will be missing out on a bunch of really good PSN titles if you stay offline. If you are worried about young kids getting online, you can set the PS3 up so that it's password protected, or you can disable the network connection when you're not on the PSN store.

Halibut on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In regards to Uncharted...it's awesome and more awesome, but it is rather short. If you're not interested in trying for 100% completion or whatever, and just want to play through it once, a rental might be appropriate.

If you're looking to buy, something with the potential to last might be better.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Thanks guys.

Anything by Insomniac, IMO. Ratchet and Clank and Resistance. Both are probably cheap these days, too.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Third-person shooter / platformer goodness
    Uncharted. There's a reason we all keep saying it.

inFamous. It's Sly Cooper + Evil Jedi Powers + an open world.

Ratchet & Clank Future. If you've played any of these on PS2, you already know why you need it.

Racing
    Motorstorm & Motorstorm 2: Pacific Rift. Arcadey, pretty, crashy-smashy.

WipEout HD. Arcadey, and hard-fucking-core. Only available on the PSN store, I'm afraid.

FPS
    Killzone 2. It's just a AAA FPS unless you have online for it.

Resistance & Resistance 2. Just-barely AAA FPSes, again without online you may not see the point.

Survival Horror
    Siren: Blood Curse. Survival horror + classic adventure gaming + stealth gameplay + the team behind the original Silent Hill = Siren. PSN only in NA, available on disc in PAL countries, and the Asian disc version - not the JP version - fully supports English. Very import-friendly.

Strategy RPG
    Valkyria Chronicles. There's a demo available on the PSN store, if you ever find a workaround solution I suggest you give it a shot.

...and many more. I'm not about to list everything, but there's all kinds of exclusive awesome out there. I highly, highly suggest you try to find a workaround solution to your internet connectivity, as - aside from Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2 - every game I've listed has a demo available on the PSN store .

If you simply can't find a way to try the demos, buy yourself copies of Uncharted, Siren: Blood Curse and Valkyria Chronicles - and you'll already have a better library than most PS3 gamers.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll second the whole wireless router is a worthy investment sentiment.
    Not so expensive and I'd say internet is essential to the PS3 experience if only for the PSN Store.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really really liked Resistance: Fall of Man, personally, but I can see that some may not have. It's just that I'm not much of an FPS fan, yet I was compelled to play it through and through. And there is a lot to play through. The sequel, I enjoyed the second time I played it, but it's really quite different from the first in a lot of little ways.

And if you can find Heavenly Sword cheap, go for it, if not, you're not missing out. For me, the last chapter was the only one I really enjoyed, but the story cutscenes are wonderful in look and execution. I would -almost- recommend the game on those alone, but some of the parts of the game really really tried to make me hate it.

Otherwise, just second everything that's been said already. Though as said, even though I love LittleBigPlanet like crazy, if you can't play it online, it might not be worth it to you. Half the game is finding the wonderful creations that are out there (And there's quite a few) and enjoying them, but you need to do it through the internet, so if you can't....well, there's a big part of the game you just can't enjoy.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited June 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    And if you can find Heavenly Sword cheap, go for it, if not, you're not missing out. For me, the last chapter was the only one I really enjoyed, but the story cutscenes are wonderful in look and execution. I would -almost- recommend the game on those alone, but some of the parts of the game really really tried to make me hate it.

I'll second Heavenly Sword, but as a rental only. You can beat the game in under 6 hours, and you can unlock all of the "making of" content (which I wish more games would do!) playing normally. It's a really fun 6 hours, but it really isn't worth it unless it's under the rental price.

Evangir on
    edited June 2009
    Ah. I didn't know the PS3 came with an internal wi-fi adapter.. this... changes things.

Also this is the dumbest conversation I've ever had.
    WheatBun001 (7:57:09 PM): Hmm.. the PS3 comes with an internal Wifi adapter
    WheatBun001 (7:57:19 PM): Unlike the 360 which costs 100$ to get one :-/
    GuitarHero1406 (7:57:46 PM): never used the 360 for internet
    WheatBun001 (7:57:50 PM): Well
    WheatBun001 (7:57:55 PM): If it's free
    WheatBun001 (7:57:57 PM): Might as well use it
    WheatBun001 (7:57:58 PM): Y'know?
    GuitarHero1406 (7:58:13 PM): my itouch has free wifi
    GuitarHero1406 (7:58:20 PM): yet my computer is right beside it
    WheatBun001 (7:58:47 PM): If your Itouch can run PS3 games and you can play with other people online then I see your point
    WheatBun001 (7:58:53 PM): Otherwise Apples:Oranges.
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:22 PM): i thought we were talking about internet capability
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:25 PM): your changing it around
    WheatBun001 (7:59:30 PM): ...No I'm not.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:37 PM): I said the PS3 had a built in wi fi adapter
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:37 PM): your just adding other stuffit can do
    WheatBun001 (7:59:42 PM): As in
    WheatBun001 (7:59:45 PM): I can play games online
    WheatBun001 (7:59:46 PM): For free.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:48 PM): Unlike the 360.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:55 PM): Where you have to buy the adapter and pay for the feature.
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:00 PM): never had live either
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:05 PM): but i guess its good for you
    WheatBun001 (8:00:06 PM): I don't see how this compares to your ipod touch
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:29 PM): theres no adapter you have to buy for online play
    WheatBun001 (8:00:40 PM): ...For your Ipod touch?
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:45 PM): ..360
    WheatBun001 (8:00:54 PM): If you use wifi I think you have to.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:01 PM): It doesn't have one built in I think.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:08 PM): I could be wrong
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:09 PM): i woldnt use wifi
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:12 PM): +u
    WheatBun001 (8:01:17 PM): Well the PS3 is in my living room
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:26 PM): really long cable
    WheatBun001 (8:01:32 PM): THat'd be nice to have thru the house.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:36 PM): XD
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:46 PM): in the wall
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:51 PM): itd be tough
    WheatBun001 (8:02:01 PM): That's a lot of trouble considering for 20$ I can just get a wifi adapter..
    WheatBun001 (8:02:33 PM): I don't understand what your trying to argue X_x
    GuitarHero1406 (8:03:23 PM): i dont understand why you still are X_X

Toxin01 on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really really liked Resistance: Fall of Man, personally, but I can see that some may not have. It's just that I'm not much of an FPS fan, yet I was compelled to play it through and through. And there is a lot to play through. The sequel, I enjoyed the second time I played it, but it's really quite different from the first in a lot of little ways.

The first Resistance always gets overlooked in these lists. Personally I think it's superior to Resistance 2 in some ways - weapon loadout (all at once!) enemy AI and general hardiness (you kill twice as many enemies in R2 with half the ammo), and length. The game is fucking long. It's the longest shooter I can remember playing in the last few years. Every time I did a mission that I thought was the last one, another rolled up and said hi.

-Loki- on
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

The first Resistance always gets overlooked in these lists. Personally I think it's superior to Resistance 2 in some ways - weapon loadout (all at once!) enemy AI and general hardiness (you kill twice as many enemies in R2 with half the ammo), and length. The game is fucking long. It's the longest shooter I can remember playing in the last few years. Every time I did a mission that I thought was the last one, another rolled up and said hi.

I agree with this, I got Resistance 1 for 5 bucks brand new and I kinda feel like I should have paid more. It is a VERY LONG game, and while that's usually a turn-off for me, It's really fun. I don't even know why it's fun, it's fairly simplistic when you get right down to it. Still, it's good, solid shooting action. A bit like Doom really.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's really fun. I don't even know why it's fun, it's fairly simplistic when you get right down to it. Still, it's good, solid shooting action. A bit like Doom really.

That's why. It's simplistic. It's a shooter and that's it. There's no puzzles, no keys to find. The most it goes to anything other than oldschool shooter is when you are with a bunch of other guys. But that's almost just ambient scenery. They are mostly invincible and advance with you to make you feel like you are in a bigger conflict. The game gives you big, fun guns that sound great when you shoot them and big, nasty monsters which look great to shoot them at. It doesn't try anything new, but it doesn't have to. It's fun. And long. Did anyone mention how long it is?

-Loki- on