As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Safari 4: for realz.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    so, been using this on both my crap old ibook and my imac, and me likey. Seems fast, easy to use, does everything I want it to. I even quite like the 'top sites' thing...

BobCesca on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    So I keep getting shitty popunders. How do I kill that shit?

GlimmerBlocker does nothing for it.

Echo on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm running it on Vista 64 and appear to be running into a Webkit issue, since Chrome suffers from it as well. When the window is maximized I can't bring up my taskbar. Chrome set up a work around by leaving a couple of pixels not covered at the bottom of the window, but any other taskbars along the sides or top won't work, and none of my taskbars will work with Safari. Wooo. Every time I want to use a taskbar I have to either make the window smaller or turn on my Windows button and then use it.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I cleared my history, and now the "top sites" page refuses to show a site that I visit like 10 times a day.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, Top Sites is pretty buggy. I have a site I visited twice showing up there now.

Echo on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So umm, are Apple ever going to patch Safari 4 so it doesn't crash whenever a large animated gif is on the page (fixed in a webkit nightly maybe)? Safari has never been very good at handling animated gifs but it didn't used to crash the browser. Other than that Safari 4 has been good to me these last few months.

Moioink on
    edited June 2009
    I've never had a crash from a GIF, but some occasional slowdowns.

Echo on
    edited June 2009
    This thread crashes Safari for me without fail. It gets slower as I scroll then eventually perma beachballs. Safari has always played gifs slower but now these crashes are quite frustrating. Maybe it's Jobs' way of telling me to stop wasting time on GAF...

No such problems in Camino so I assume it's a Webkit issue.

Moioink on
  • lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have been having fairly good results with safari 4. I mostly used firefox before, but firefox is getting kind of slow. One problem I am having is with the zoom behavior in OSX. It constantly forgets the window size and moves the window halfway past the bottom of the screen. Anyone else notice this?

lilB on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    This thread crashes Safari for me without fail. It gets slower as I scroll then eventually perma beachballs. Safari has always played gifs slower but now these crashes are quite frustrating. Maybe it's Jobs' way of telling me to stop wasting time on GAF...

I checked out that link, and it crashed my Safari too. The thread initially loaded and ran fine, but then as I scrolled down more, it started beachballing to the point where I had to force quit Safari.

Kris on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    updated the OP. Totally forgot I was the one who created this thread

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited June 2009
    I'm running it on Vista 64 and appear to be running into a Webkit issue, since Chrome suffers from it as well. When the window is maximized I can't bring up my taskbar. Chrome set up a work around by leaving a couple of pixels not covered at the bottom of the window, but any other taskbars along the sides or top won't work, and none of my taskbars will work with Safari. Wooo. Every time I want to use a taskbar I have to either make the window smaller or turn on my Windows button and then use it.

Just saw this thread pop back up.

For anybody who cares, this Webkit problem as been fixed, so you can now run both Chrome and Safari and have your minimized taskbars work!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kris wrote: »

I checked out that link, and it crashed my Safari too. The thread initially loaded and ran fine, but then as I scrolled down more, it started beachballing to the point where I had to force quit Safari.

I managed to make it to the bottom of that thread, but dear god, what an abortion of a topic. Safari is just trying to save your sanity.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wulf wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »

I managed to make it to the bottom of that thread, but dear god, what an abortion of a topic. Safari is just trying to save your sanity.

I just tried that thread in Chrome, since it's webkit as well. Didnt' crash, but the tab was using like, 102MB of ram by itself at the end.

Also, I hate myself for clicking on that link. My eyes just tried to kill me.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So the Reload button being in a stupid place is starting to bother me. I can't fucking wait for Chrome to be a bit more polished.

Zoolander on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I despise Safari 4. The quick view thing at startup and new tabs is a joke, the interface is a barely modified Chrome interface, and their "fastest browser" claims are negligible enough to make the whole thing not even worth it.

I can't believe that Apple would put out such a hodgepodge piece of junk and put their name on it.

Jasconius on
  • VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I despise Safari 4. The quick view thing at startup and new tabs is a joke, the interface is a barely modified Chrome interface, and their "fastest browser" claims are negligible enough to make the whole thing not even worth it.

I can't believe that Apple would put out such a hodgepodge piece of junk and put their name on it.

This seems a little odd. Top Sites is optional - don't open it, and change your settings for a new tab, if you don't want to see it. I like it - lets me see at a glance if any of my usual round of sits has updated since last I went there.

The new tabs aren't really much different to the older tabs, and the hidden close button isn't much of an issue if you either ( a ) mouse over the tab, or ( b ) close the tabs from the keyboard anyway.

As for the interface being "a barely modified Chrome" - are you basing this on the public beta, or the released version? Tabs are no longer on top, making the interface resemble Safari 3 much more than it does Chrome.

If you're still using the public beta, check out the release version; you'll be in for a few surprises. My own experiences with Safari 4 are overwhelmingly positive: it's fast, and although I couldn't quantifiably say if it's the fastest browser around, I've never found myself waiting for it to catch up over my 'net connection. It's stable as any other browser, its interface gets out of my way, and I don't find it lacking. (Plus, being able to cover flow through history is actually surprisingly useful)

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

For anybody who cares, this Webkit problem as been fixed, so you can now run both Chrome and Safari and have your minimized taskbars work!

I'm still having problems with my copy of Chrome.

Blake T on
    edited June 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

I'm still having problems with my copy of Chrome.

That is odd. I have version 2.0.172.31

I have no problems bringing up my taskbars and ObjectDocks now. They even got rid of the work around they had in place, which was leaving a few rows of pixels along the bottom not covered by the browser.

Which version of Chrome are you using?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    OK I give them some props. They've fixed the bookmarking from 3.0, which was one of my biggest annoyances. They've added partial support for Windows 7 quick view, which is actually pretty impressive.

They've sped up the performance of Top Sites to where it's not a complete joke.

But I do not understand why they abandoned the OSX interface assets. Do people have some real issue against it? Instead they went with something far more bland. We laugh at Microsoft for making everything boring looking. Then Apple comes out with a jet gray browser? Woo.

But other than that, I expect more from Apple. These people are alleged interface experts. They should be rethinking web browsing as a user interface paradigm, not exporting their defacto interface gimmicks in browser format. Anything short of that and they might as well ask you if you want to download iTunes every time you close the window.

Jasconius on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm still pissy that they moved the tabs back below the address-bar and didn't at least expose an option to move them back to the top. Tabs on top freed up a little vertical space on my Macbook, where I've only got 800 pixels from top to bottom. The menu bar automatically takes up some of that, so Safari integrating the title-bar and the tabs was great. <le sigh>

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The tabs-on-tap interface irritated me, as it became a lot harder to drag tabs around (you had to click on a certain corner of each tab) and, when there were about a dozen tabs in a window, you couldn't actually read the title of each tab.

Also, you couldn't cmd+click on the full title to reveal the website's heirachy. Which was occasionally useful. I see the whole argument about screen real estate, as I'm also using a Macbook, but I'm not convinced saving ~30px was really worth the reduced usability.

(Yes, it would have been nice to have an option, or at least a hack. I can honestly see them reverting to the tabs-on-top interface at some point, though, and that they didn't want to ship Safari 4 final with a half-finished implementation.)

Baron Dirigible on
    edited June 2009
    Isn't there a tabs on top Terminal command?

Moioink on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Isn't there a tabs on top Terminal command?

There was in the Beta but so far I don't think there is one for the final.

Here's a very Hacky method to get them back:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090609000156651

Personally, I'm glad they didn't move them as I'm not a fan of the Tabs on top, at least not the way it was implemented in Safari 4.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited June 2009
    I'm not a big fan of tabs on top because I thought it was just a gimmick by, presumably Webkit itself, to distinguish itself from Firefox and also conflicts with the Windows 7 interface features if you have too many tabs open.

Jasconius on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Windows version of this browser is just awful. It's like they took Chrome and then threw out everything good about it in favour of jamming their stupid eye-candy navigation in yet more unwelcome places. Cover Flow history? Are they serious?

Rebooting now to see if it's any good in os x

Azio on
    edited June 2009
    Again, I find Cover Flow history to be actually quite a useful feature. The other day, as a matter of example, I saw a blog which I later wanted to find again but couldn't for the life of me remember the name - but I could remember the site's appearance. Flicked through my history, and bingo. Cover Flow's been shoehorned into lots of places where it doesn't belong, but here I think it works.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    The Windows version of this browser is just awful. It's like they took Chrome and then threw out everything good about it in favour of jamming their stupid eye-candy navigation in yet more unwelcome places. Cover Flow history? Are they serious?

That's what I meant to direct my anger at earlier when I berated Top Sites. Top Sites is.. I don't know. Decent.

But the cover flow history is just stupid.

As I said. Exporting their gimmick interface features rather than actually rethinking shit.

You know, that thing they are supposed to be doing.

Jasconius on
    edited June 2009
    Vulpine wrote: »
    Again, I find Cover Flow history to be actually quite a useful feature. The other day, as a matter of example, I saw a blog which I later wanted to find again but couldn't for the life of me remember the name - but I could remember the site's appearance. Flicked through my history, and bingo. Cover Flow's been shoehorned into lots of places where it doesn't belong, but here I think it works.
    I can get behind this. It's useful. I only ever use history when I need to find something I can't remember the name / location of, so having a visual cue is really, really helpful. I don't think it's superfluous at all.

Also, I don't mind top sites at all on my home machine, but since we've upgraded to safari 4 at work I feel pretty uncomfortable having my personal browsing show up each time I make a new tab.

this is clearly a design flaw on apple's behalf

Baron Dirigible on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't understand why they don't make these options... optional. I can browse my Finder in CoverFlow, but I can also tool around with a mouse in Details or List view like a normal person. Why not have a toggle for History Coverflow/List view, or New Tab => Top Sites/Blank Tab?

KalTorak on
    edited June 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't make these options... optional. I can browse my Finder in CoverFlow, but I can also tool around with a mouse in Details or List view like a normal person. Why not have a toggle for History Coverflow/List view, or New Tab => Top Sites/Blank Tab?
    well:

a) you can just drag the coverflow bit way up to the top of the window, so all it shows is the search dialog box. it appears to be persistent, but I only just tried it then, so don't take that as gospel.

b) on closer inspection, there is indeed a feature to make new tabs open without showing top sites.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sooo, what happened to Safari because people were getting really excited when the beta came out and there were charts and shit that showed it was faster and all that.

And now I hear that it is ass all around.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2009
    Also, I don't mind top sites at all on my home machine, but since we've upgraded to safari 4 at work I feel pretty uncomfortable having my personal browsing show up each time I make a new tab.

this is clearly a design flaw on apple's behalf

You can turn this off. Go to Safari Preferences. In the "General" pane, change "New tabs open with:" to "Empty page".

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Sooo, what happened to Safari because people were getting really excited when the beta came out and there were charts and shit that showed it was faster and all that.

And now I hear that it is ass all around.

Well, it's good enough that I switched to it from Firefox on my Macbook - as soon as I installed GreaseKit and an ad blocker, that is.

Echo on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What are you using for an ad-blocker Echo?

[ed] Also, what are you using GreaseKit for? Any nifty scripts to share? :wink:

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited June 2009
    I recommend this as an ad blocker. I have been getting very good results from it.

Moioink on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just one thing that will always keep me from moving to a new bit of software is that if it insists on its own theme that does not match with anything else in my UI.

Chrome is kinda eh, but even it has some subtle vista aero acceptance.

Safari has always been [And now you are on a mac(TM).]

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2009
    Just one thing that will always keep me from moving to a new bit of software is that if it insists on its own theme that does not match with anything else in my UI.

Chrome is kinda eh, but even it has some subtle vista aero acceptance.

Safari has always been [And now you are on a mac(TM).]

One of Safari 4's advertised features is, in fact, "Windows Native Look and Feel":

whatsnew-windows-20090529.jpg

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Safari 4 is definitely back to being my default Mac browser. Firefox works exactly the way I want, but it is incredibly slow by comparison. Also, coverflow history is the first good use of coverflow I've seen tbh. Like somebody else said, when I'm searching my history it's usually easier for me to remember what a page looks like rather than what it was called.

I am surprised session restore isn't a bigger deal for more people though. The first thing I do whenever I get a new browser is check the box for "show windows and tabs from last time on startup". Every browser except Safari has that. Luckily there's this thing called "SafariStand" that kind of does the trick, but it's a hack.

Also, it should be noted that XMarks, the popular firefox bookmark sync extension, is now available for Safari (as a program that runs in the background alas, but it's worth it to me): http://www.xmarks.com/

Sadly, I cannot figure out how to work the Safari 4 Javascript debugger. It seems my breakpoints do nothing.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so i am still using the beta version because i like tabs on the top
    any reason to get the real version

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*