As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 6/10/09: Do Not Eat the Poultry Unborn!

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So in regards to Uncanny.
    I'm not really sure as to what Fraction's trying to accomplish with this arc. All I can see that has been done is,

-Tension between Scott and Logan, and a reaffirmation of how much Logan loves Jean.
    -Tension between Scott and Emma, however misplaced.
    -Betsy is back on the team.

There were far easier ways to do those three things than this cheesecake fest. Using Betsy's British body served no real purpose, and seemed only to prove that Madelyne could bring back the dead. What for? She's got magic, we'll take her word for it. I mean, what sounds easier? Brainwash Betsy, or ressurect the spirit of Kwannon who used to be in Betsy's body but doesn't have beef with Betsy then brainwash her? I guess they can use her as a villain now? Still silly.

And I'm still not sure if Fraction knows Jean is really alive. I mean, she's the one who helped Emma with that psychic chaff thing, but he talked about moving a casket. The casket should have been empty regardless. It would have served the same "Aha!" moment at the end if he was like "Yo, Madelyne, she not dead girl. You can't get all up ins her!"

Whatever. Dodson art and X-Club hotness in the next arc, followed by Utopia (I think) leave enough to look forward to. I just wish Fraction had had a more clear focus in mind for this arc.

The rest of what I read was good (Go Bill! Godhunter rocks.) but am I the only one finding the Cortex subplot in X-Factor (that's right, I called it a subplot. Everyone knows the future is where all the magic is) a little boring? I'm still more interested in Madrox and Layla.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Re: Jean, Uncanny
    What does her being alive have to do with her body? We know for a fact that she's the White Crown Phoenix, a more perfect avatar of the Phoenix Force than has ever existed. We know that even in 'death' she was coming back because she'll always exist in the Phoenix Force, so even without seeing her act (e.g. helping Emma) we knew she'd be back. But what does that have to do with the body? Why would she even use the same flesh when she came back?

mattharvest on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    They should do a Bullseye/Deadpool comic.

You mean the comic they're doing right now?

A series of comics.

DarkWarrior on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I read Action Comics #878 featuring Flamebird and Nightwing last night. I'm enjoying this story. The first few issues were a bit slow, but I think Rucka has done a good job of setting up a believable story, and the plot is starting to pick up.

I really enjoyed the dialog and scenes between Lois and Thara.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the first series I've read with art by Diego Olmos, but I'm enjoying his art.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    What does her being alive have to do with her body? We know for a fact that she's the White Crown Phoenix, a more perfect avatar of the Phoenix Force than has ever existed. We know that even in 'death' she was coming back because she'll always exist in the Phoenix Force, so even without seeing her act (e.g. helping Emma) we knew she'd be back. But what does that have to do with the body? Why would she even use the same flesh when she came back?
    Well, in Endsong, the Phoenix reanimated her corpse from the very grave that Maddie went to. I see no reason for some corpse to magically go back afterwards. That's the problem I have with Scott being all, "Hah! We moved her body, sucker!" because there shouldn't be one.

Faynor on
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Well, in Endsong, the Phoenix reanimated her corpse from the very grave that Maddie went to. I see no reason for some corpse to magically go back afterwards. That's the problem I have with Scott being all, "Hah! We moved her body, sucker!" because there shouldn't be one.

Ah, well damn, that's a good point, I plum forgot about that.

Wait, is Endsong in continuity?

mattharvest on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes, as was that terrible Warsong follow up.

TexiKen on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    So they did the Flash vs. Superman race (kinda) in Rebirth 3. It was actually only a couple pages, but it was kinda my favorite part of the issue.

and here it is.
    13.jpg

14-1.jpg

15-1.jpg

Also I like the effect of the black racer uniform flying off of him at high speed.

I'm kind of curious: is there any particular reason Superman is running after the Flash rather than flying after him? I guess I'm just a lazy mofo, and I figure lying flat in the air and moving through it magically is easier than having to move my legs like crazy. But, also, would it be faster?

Also, one of my most favorite representations of Flash-speed is the panel in Kingdom Come where they show his city with a red line going down the center of each street.

Delduwath on
    edited June 2009
    If I had to guess, I'd figure that superman can run (on Earth) faster than he can fly, apparently.

mattharvest on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I loved that scene so much. I'm completely sold on Flash: Rebirth, now.

My question is, does this provide a real answer to the Superman vs Flash debate?

HadjiQuest on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    a definitive one, i'd say

Rans on
    edited June 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I loved that scene so much. I'm completely sold on Flash: Rebirth, now.

My question is, does this provide a real answer to the Superman vs Flash debate?

I'd say so.

Frankly, it's the only answer that makes sense, once we have the Speed Force. After all, Superman can't fly into that.

mattharvest on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Except I'm fairly sure we already knew that.

Fencingsax on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone check out Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter? Some great stuff in there with Bill
    destroying a planet to stop Galactus from feeding, beating the crap out of a herald and then tells the Surfer he can just try and stop him.

KVW on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They did a Flash vs Superman race back in like season 2 of Smallville, same conclusion. I realize that Smallville is hardly canon, but in pretty much every universe, Flash is faster, except the Bizarro world of course, in which the Flash is the slowest man alive.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    destroying a planet to stop Galactus from feeding, beating the crap out of a herald and then tells the Surfer he can just try and stop him.

I thought it was pretty excellent, but that's not surprising given who the author is.

Delduwath on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've said all I am going to about Betsy. I just can't figure if now how much Sword of the Braddocks is a "Fuck you" from Marvel to those of us who read it.

Wow, this was actually a pretty awesome week. Especially compared to the last two or three where I felt like I wasn't reading anything that wasn't shit.

Fables. Awesome. Of course.

Unwritten was also very good. Mask, you asked what I thought of #1 in another thread. I enjoyed it. I dog on magic and fantasy some times because, well for reasons I won't get into, but in reality I love it. I love all of the magic stories in Vertigo like Fables and Unwritten and Madame Xanadu (God I wish I got on that sooner). So I fully endorse this book.

FC Aftermath: Escape was neat even though I have no idea what is going on. That's the idea, so mission accomplished.

I also picked up JSA vs. Kobra and really like that, although I'm confused on why Sasha is still suffering from the effects of the Anti-Life Equation at the beginning of the book. Solid story and I like how smart Kobra's operating in the book.

As for Marvel, I got both of Claremont's books. I enjoyed them and I don't care what anyone here thinks, so moving on.

Miss America. Great story. Great character. Makes me miss Carol Danvers.

Godhunter. That was pure awesome. My MotW would have been BRB blowing up the planet or just bashing the everliving fuck out of Galactus' herald if not for...

Pet Avengers #2. Best book of the week by a mile. The characters are great. Their interactions and conflicts are great. Throg is Medusa to Lockjaw's Blackagar. Hairball and Ms. Lion are hilarious together. Zabu is just badass on four legs. The story's well written. The art is great. Also contained, this, my MotW:
    ztyrkw.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Was there alot of civilzation/people still on the planet?

If so, thats pretty hardcore of Bill.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited June 2009
    Nope, the planet was fore-warned of Galactus's arrival and evacuated before he showed up. His herald arrived just in time to menace the last transport ship, but then Bill defended it and sent it on its way.

Bill's plan for killing Galactus, by the way, is to shadow him, try to defend every planet he intends to eat, and destroy any that he cannot defend.

Delduwath on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My MOTW is finally reading the second Powers hardcover. God damn, Deena Pilgrim may just be the best character ever.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Is Bill that strong? I thought he was under Thor and Thor would struggle with a herald of Galactus.

DarkWarrior on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    My MOTW is finally reading the second Powers hardcover. God damn, Deena Pilgrim may just be the best character ever.

I second this, and I will be SO FUCKING PISSED if the third volume gets delayed to hell like vol. 2. The street date is July 29, and it better stay that way.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited June 2009
    Is Bill that strong? I thought he was under Thor and Thor would struggle with a herald of Galactus.

Well, the issue also collected the first appearance of BRB, and even without Stormbreaker or Mjolnir he fucked Thor's shit up.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2009

Well, the issue also collected the first appearance of BRB, and even without Stormbreaker or Mjolnir he fucked Thor's shit up.

Fair enough.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    The Odinforce muddies it a little, however.

Faynor on
    edited June 2009
    maybe when Bill is done with Galactus he can join the Guardians of the Galaxy!

Rans on
    edited June 2009
    Why is Bill doing this with Galactus anyway?

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    Galactus killed his entire race because he consumed their planet.

To say he has beef with his is an understatement.

Faynor on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ever notice how often alien races/homeworlds get destroyed in comics? The Kree, Skrull, Tamaranians, Kalanorians, Martians, Kryptonians, Almeraci, and Czarnians all spring to mind. And I'm sure there's a few dozen more I'm forgetting.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    Yet the humans remain to kick ass, despite being seen as a joke in the intergalactic world.

"Oh, Centurion Rider? He's a human, what a waste to the Nova corps"

and then he becomes even more hella cool and rips out Annihilus' organs and bangs Gamora all the time.

TexiKen on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well, Bill also picked up a pretty epic cosmic-level arsenal from some guy named Voidian, The Harbinger of Annihilation. That is how he was able to blow up the planet and has the further resources to continue.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited June 2009
    bangs gamora like every damn day

Rans on
    edited June 2009
    Rans wrote: »
    bangs gamora like every damn day

Isn't she carrying like a super effective STD right now though?

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    Maybe Gamora is the reason that Richard will die without the Nova force, and not the worldmind. AIDS in spaaaccceee!

TexiKen on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Yet the humans remain to kick ass, despite being seen as a joke in the intergalactic world.

"Oh, Centurion Rider? He's a human, what a waste to the Nova corps"

and then he becomes even more hella cool and rips out Annihilus' organs and bangs Gamora all the time.

You'd think that by now most of the alien races would have updated their prejudices a bit, with the amount of invasions, crazy gods, monsters, super-villains and other random super powered crap that happens, not to mention that it's produced a number of big players on the cosmic scene, coming from Earth should be like growing up in a brutal inner-city hell hole.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That was Paibok's reaction to being stranded on Earth during Drax's Annhiliation mini. The other criminals were just stoked to get out of space jail, and he's all - "The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, all the fucking mutants! This planet is a death trap!"

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you read back to the Nova Corps files in the Annihilation singles, Earth is often listed as only being a concern on a cosmic scale due to the saturation of powered individuals compared to other races.

Weaver on
    edited June 2009
    Earth also holds/is the center of all of the magic in the universe. I imagine that tweaks the nipples of every mystic/magician who knows that they'll never be awesome because they aren't British.

Although supposedly there is a magic storyline coming soon that involves non-earthers like Adam Warlock (fucker).

Crimsondude on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    That was Paibok's reaction to being stranded on Earth during Drax's Annhiliation mini. The other criminals were just stoked to get out of space jail, and he's all - "The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, all the fucking mutants! This planet is a death trap!"

That was a kick arse story, whatever happened to that girl that Drax picked up? She just kind of disappeared after Annihilation.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I assume they just never got around to picking up that thread. Which sucks because her and the sprite thingy that had been hanging with Thanos until then would be a cool teamup.

Crimsondude on