As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficially Official... PSP is a Go!

12345679»

• ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    lol

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stretching the definition of portable with that one.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Now THAT I would buy!

Jishian on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like how the second nub is completely off-center and/or stuck.

I have to wonder what kind of battery life it has, too.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't forget the purple LEDs. No case mod is complete without LEDS!

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was admittedly interested in this little gadget, then when I was trying to play the digital copy of Batman that I have from the Blue Ray on my current PSP I was reminded at why I hate the PSP for a media device with its limitation on file types it plays (just the one).

Not sure if they are planning on fixing this in the Go, I doubt it. And yes I have tried converting the file, but it gets stuck part way through, and really, I don't think I should have to convert the damn file.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone see this?

PSPGo is going to have the same battery life as the older ones:
    The PSPgo, according to official European word, will come with an "embedded battery" offering a charge "equivalent with the current models." That means approximately 3 to 6 hours for gameplay and 3 to 5 hours for playing back video. Looks like a smaller battery may cancel out power saving benefits achieved from dropping the UMD drive.

Reason? They went with a smaller, lighter battery to keep the system itself smaller and lighter.

The lack of UMD drive won't be helping the battery life after all.

slash000 on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That means current models with CFW would actually have longer battery life because they also don't use the UMD but have a bigger battery.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited June 2009
    I forgot to highlight the other bit of info:

The Go's battery will be "embedded."

In other words, you can't remove/replace it yourself.

slash000 on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

That's the suckier part. I bought an extended-life battery for my 2000 and it was the best $15 I ever spent: That, combined with custom-firmed games that bypass the UMD drive, means I can get a good 7+ hours with the system going fully at 333MHz.

I'm sure the main reason this was done is to remove the possibility of the Pandora battery, which is the main way to get custom firms on current PSPs.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

That's the suckier part. I bought an extended-life battery for my 2000 and it was the best $15 I ever spent: That, combined with custom-firmed games that bypass the UMD drive, means I can get a good 7+ hours with the system going fully at 333MHz.

I'm sure the main reason this was done is to remove the possibility of the Pandora battery, which is the main way to get custom firms on current PSPs.

I was thinking the same thing.

It's feasible that they wanted to prevent another Pandora battery scenario. But in doing so they prevent anybody, whatever they do with the system, from putting in a higher capacity battery or keeping a spare one to swap out to extend the battery life as they like.

slash000 on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dracil wrote: »
    That means current models with CFW would actually have longer battery life because they also don't use the UMD but have a bigger battery.

Wouldn't it also mean that folks who buy new 3000s, but ONLY use them for DD (because they play all the same games as a Go!) would ALSO have a longer battery life?

Evander on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »

Wouldn't it also mean that folks who buy new 3000s, but ONLY use them for DD (because they play all the same games as a Go!) would ALSO have a longer battery life?

Absolutely. Which is what I'm going to do.

-Loki- on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I was thinking the same thing.

It's feasible that they wanted to prevent another Pandora battery scenario. But in doing so they prevent anybody, whatever they do with the system, from putting in a higher capacity battery or keeping a spare one to swap out to extend the battery life as they like.

I thought the idea of a PSP Go could have been good if well implemented, but seriously, Sony have completely messed up any possible advantages the system could have had, and I can't read it as anything other than them being too greedy to create a system that would actually WORK. It's less capable, doesn't have a better battery life, doesn't allow swapped batteries, and after all this still costs more and is incompatible with earlier peripherals.

What is the point of this system? What actual market is it serving, I don't get it.

subedii on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    What is the point of this system? What actual market is it serving, I don't get it.

Didn't they already answer that?
    The answer, by the way, was 'early adapters'.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited June 2009

Didn't they already answer that?
    The answer, by the way, was 'early adapters'.

"Early Adopters" implies that the system's actually going somewhere new and useful. This seems like a step backwards at greater cost.

subedii on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I doubt this. Pandora batteries were largely rendered moot by the 3000. They could also have just created a new way to get the psp into service mode. I really do think user replaceable battery was removed due to the form factor of the device.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember that when the first rumors of the Go and DD started popping up, one of the reactions was among the lines "Sounds good, but this is Sony, they're not the right company to do it. They'll screw it up."

And god bless them they did. I think I may just go pick up the RB bundle now.

Kyougu on
    edited June 2009
    greeble wrote: »

I doubt this. Pandora batteries were largely rendered moot by the 3000. They could also have just created a new way to get the psp into service mode. I really do think user replaceable battery was removed due to the form factor of the device.

I read somewhere ( slashdot? ) that the 3000's also been jail broken now, although that was just a headline so the reality might be a bit more complicated.

subedii on
    edited June 2009
    I agree with greeble. I think they made the battery nonremoveable mostly for form factor reasons. Aren't iPods the same way?

slash000 on
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, iPods, the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro line.

BladeX on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zune's are the same. And DS's too I believe.

Kyougu on
    edited June 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Zune's are the same. And DS's too I believe.

DS phat, Lite, and DSi you can remove the battery.

slash000 on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honestly, I would have gotten one to sit next to my 2000. I like the aesthetic on the white Go!, and I like the slide design of the screen. But I have mans hands, and my entire thumb would cover the whole d-pad or face button set. So I wouldn't be able to play anything on it.

-Loki- on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Honestly, I would have gotten one to sit next to my 2000. I like the aesthetic on the white Go!, and I like the slide design of the screen. But I have mans hands, and my entire thumb would cover the whole d-pad or face button set. So I wouldn't be able to play anything on it.
    Wouldn't having big hands also be problematic on the original PSP? I know my friend's PSP has a fingerprint smudge on the screen right next to the D-pad, and I remember having a similar smudge on my original GameBoy Advance.

Rex Dart on
    edited June 2009
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Wouldn't having big hands also be problematic on the original PSP? I know my friend's PSP has a fingerprint smudge on the screen right next to the D-pad, and I remember having a similar smudge on my original GameBoy Advance.

Yep. But the Go!'s buttons are tiny.

-Loki- on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I read somewhere ( slashdot? ) that the 3000's also been jail broken now, although that was just a headline so the reality might be a bit more complicated.

They have, in a sense. But if you turn off the PSP, it goes away.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Isn't the latest 'hack' of the 3000 just another exploit that'll get patched in a hurried Firmware update with the descriptor "Improves Stability for some games"?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Isn't the latest 'hack' of the 3000 just another exploit that'll get patched in a hurried Firmware update with the descriptor "Improves Stability for some games"?

It's pretty pointless though, since there's no incentive for users to update their firmware when there's no new features in it. Sony's fighting a losing battle with firmware hackers and need to change tactics. Giving the PSP Go a smaller battery is really not a smart move.

But on the more positive side, there's this:
    Rumor: Sony to unveil PSPgo apps, small games at Games Con
    11 hours ago - 10:10 AM on 06.12.2009, Nick Chester

While the lack of physical media for Sony’s PSPgo may be signaling the death-knell for the Universal Media Disc, it may be opening up new doors for developers.

Sources close to game development have told Destructoid that Sony is actively pushing developers to design smaller, “non-retail” games and applications for the PSP. These “non-retail” games and apps would come in priced considerably lower than the traditional retail UMDs and full games made available for download on the PlayStation Network.

We’re told Sony is currently eying a tiered pricing structure for this software, somewhere in the range of two and six dollars. Publishers and developers will also be able to offer free applications on the store as well.

File sizes are said to be limited to 100 MB, but developers and publishers won’t be limited in other creative ways -- Sony is said to have specifically stated that “non-game apps” and 2D titles are more than welcome.

This new push -- along with an updated PlayStation Store to support the content -- is said to officially be revealed at Games Con, which takes place this August in Cologne, Germany. Developers are being told that games and apps would be available to users as early as Q4.

When we contacted Sony for a response, it couldn’t comment on the details we’d heard, but did reiterate its position on providing more content on the PlayStation Store in the future.

“We are making a concerted push towards expanding the content available on the Store,” Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Al de Leon told us, “particularly with the demand for digital content that will spike when the PSPgo launches this fall. This push includes new titles that are also launching on UMD, PSP catalog titles, PSone classics – double to nearly 60 titles -- and PSN exclusives.”

Additionally, de Leon reminded us of the recent price reduction of PSP development tools.

“The goal with this move,” he said, “is to support development of smaller titles from a broader range of developers and publishers. As part of this effort, we’re also streamlining the development process, including concept approval, licensing, and publishing.”

The idea of smaller, easier-to-develop titles and applications could be what the PSP needs to finally pick up some serious traction. Coupled with bigger budget titles, along with digital and movie content, could be the total portable package.

You know, besides that phone call thing…

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-sony-to-unveil-pspgo-apps-small-games-at-games-con-135846.phtml

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited June 2009
    They've started that with the likes of Super Stardust Portable (though that's been out for a while), Fat Princess Portable and Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe for PSP. I wouldn't be surprised if Pixeljunk Shooter ended up on the PSP as well.

-Loki- on
    edited June 2009
    That's just it though. That App store works just as much for the PSP 3000. It's a good move (especially the bit about non-game apps), but nothing that makes the Go more preferable. Maybe the extra memory, but that's about it.

subedii on
    edited June 2009
    That's just it though. That App store works just as much for the PSP 3000. It's a good move (especially the bit about non-game apps), but nothing that makes the Go more preferable. Maybe the extra memory, but that's about it.

That's what it was for me. 16gb internal memory and the ability to expand it? Never have to swap anything out of it again. But still - man hands and a console designed for people with hands the size of a 5 year old.

-Loki- on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    16gb mark 2 card on sale at amazon for $70... $70 is a lot of money but price should go down by this fall when Go! is released. Also Mark 2 "is suitable for use with AVCHD recording products or other faster Memory Stick enabled devices by providing appropriate minimum write performance." So I guess its faster than a normal memory stick. (whether the read speed is faster of if its just the write speed I don't know.)

So yeah a 3000 with the 16gb card > than a Go! and probably less money. The only thing you miss out on is the small form factor and the bluetooth. (However if bluetooth enables you to use a ps3 controller with the Go! that is a nice plus in its corner)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The 16GB Memory Stick cards might drop faster in price. A lot of the new Sony electronics coming out this winter are dropping memory stick support.

Ziggymon on
    edited June 2009
    So yeah a 3000 with the 16gb card > than a Go! and probably less money. The only thing you miss out on is the small form factor and the bluetooth. (However if bluetooth enables you to use a ps3 controller with the Go! that is a nice plus in its corner)

Depends how much storage you want. The PSP Go not only has 16gb internal memory, but also has a memory stick micro slot, so you could get up to 32gb of storage.

-Loki- on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They've started that with the likes of Super Stardust Portable (though that's been out for a while), Fat Princess Portable and Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe for PSP. I wouldn't be surprised if Pixeljunk Shooter ended up on the PSP as well.

Everyday Shooter on PSP is also really well done, although admittedly I've never played the full PS3 version so I don't know what I'm missing. But that and Super Stardust Portable are excellent games (and only $10 each, IIRC); they've been on the PSP for months now and almost no one knows about them. Sony's been doing a piss-poor job advertising its PSN offerings for the PSP; I hope that changes with the Go now.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Those offerings are pathetic to be frank. One game (most of which downgraded from the PS3) every 2-3 months is a joke. I think what they're talking about is a more constant stream of downloadable games, like the PS3 and XBLA get.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited June 2009

Those offerings are pathetic to be frank. One game (most of which downgraded from the PS3) every 2-3 months is a joke. I think what they're talking about is a more constant stream of downloadable games, like the PS3 and XBLA get.

Yeah, but given development time (and release date for SSHD and Everyday shooter PSP) they were started in a ycle where Sony was pouring effort into the PS3 and pretty much ignoring the PSP. Given they are now putting effort into the PSP, the offerings should become more robust.

-Loki- on