As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - Cosmos: The terminal boondocks.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a false dichotomy because you also assume that in letting her go, she survived the destruction of the Peak 15 facility.

It's like the asari or salarian at Virmire. You let them go, but they probably don't survive. Hell, the salarian isn't important enough to inform Kirrahe's group that he's there... So by letting the queen go, did she get far enough away to avoid the fate of the facility? What is the extent of the distruction? What if in her haste to leave she burrows in the wrong direction?

Besides, I don't recall if Shepard knows specifically at that time that the only way to get rid of the 'bad' rachni is to destroy a part of the facility. Up to that point, the only indication of such a measure is the 'flame room' getting past the subway. And rachni are already all over the place. How do we know the purge got all of the 'bad' ones?
    The choice serves a purpose, but its effectiveness is debatable.

Nuh-uh. You can go to the Hot Labs well before you go to the Secret Lab. Triggering the neutron purge there just sinks the Hot Labs into the glacier, not the whole facility. Plenty of time for everyone to get out.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys, there was a speech/influence loop on a quest in Novaria right? Where you could repeat the same bit of dialogue with an influence option over and over again?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With the sitting Turian quest giving dude in the bar IIRC.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Do you remember how you access it? I don't want to further the dialogue past it by mistake.

e: nevermind, looked it up

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The guy you had to talk to so that asari chick could crack his network was a bit bugged for me. You are told that when he rubs the back of his neck you should press him on that issue. I get to that point, but the persuade and intimidate options are still grey'd out, despite me having full persuade and maybe 4 points from full intimidate.

Its been awhile since I have played it though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, I'm glad I didn't break down and make a new character. I beat this game today, and damn. Damn. So excellent. Woefully short, but that's because I didn't really care to do the extra planets that much.

Such a good game. I am so eager for the sequel now.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just played Bring Down the Sky for the first time. Got a lot of renegade points but damn the choices were so delicious! Not only could I fire a warning shot, but I could graze him? Wound him? Leave him there to die slowly? Ooooh!!

Sakeido on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lawl spoilers ^^^^^^^^.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    It's a false dichotomy because you also assume that in letting her go, she survived the destruction of the Peak 15 facility.

It's like the asari or salarian at Virmire. You let them go, but they probably don't survive. Hell, the salarian isn't important enough to inform Kirrahe's group that he's there... So by letting the queen go, did she get far enough away to avoid the fate of the facility? What is the extent of the distruction? What if in her haste to leave she burrows in the wrong direction?

Besides, I don't recall if Shepard knows specifically at that time that the only way to get rid of the 'bad' rachni is to destroy a part of the facility. Up to that point, the only indication of such a measure is the 'flame room' getting past the subway. And rachni are already all over the place. How do we know the purge got all of the 'bad' ones?

Nuh-uh. You can go to the Hot Labs well before you go to the Secret Lab. Triggering the neutron purge there just sinks the Hot Labs into the glacier, not the whole facility. Plenty of time for everyone to get out.
    I've never been able to go to the Hot Labs. In my experience, it's always been the Secret Lab first and then the Hot Labs.

Is there some mention by the party that the Hot Labs have already been taken care of when the queen suggests it?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I've never been able to go to the Hot Labs. In my experience, it's always been the Secret Lab first and then the Hot Labs.

Is there some mention by the party that the Hot Labs have already been taken care of when the queen suggests it?

Yeah, you just go back to the Hot Labs elevator right after talking to Captain Ventralis. It adds a couple of neat lines to the discussion later.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, you just go back to the Hot Labs elevator right after talking to Captain Ventralis. It adds a couple of neat lines to the discussion later.

The first time you talk to the captain?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, I'm glad I didn't break down and make a new character. I beat this game today, and damn. Damn. So excellent. Woefully short, but that's because I didn't really care to do the extra planets that much.

Such a good game. I am so eager for the sequel now.

Those other planets are FAIRLY missable, but there are some great lines and scenes, so if you get the hankering to move out, by all means please do.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and there was one last thing I wanted to mention.
    I'm not sure if I buy all the other Council races completely accepting a humanity-led council just because the Council died. I mean, understandably, the humans played a huge part in fighting back Sovereign, but to just hand them the keys to everything?

These alien races have been the Citadel for two thousand years, the humans have been in the galatic stage for what was it, like 30 or so years? Surely there are some high ranking diplomats that would say "Fuck this noise!"

I suppose Santa already kind of defended this point earlier since, despite the intention, this is the "Renegade" ending.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The first time you talk to the captain?

Yep. Right afterwards, unless I'm terribly mistaken. It's been a while since I played it through that way.

@Faynor, I think the point is that...
    Humans are the biggest baddest guys left. They've got the largest fleet, they took down Sovereign, a Human Spectre saved the day, and they're offering leadership. Only Joker knew about the call that Shepard made on the citadel, nobody else really knows what happened there. All the Citadel races are going to fall in line because that's their only option. Their leaders know about the new alien race, and if they don't have the backup of the Systems Alliance Fleet, they're going to be utterly screwed when the next ones come along.
    Or if the Terminus Systems find out that their fleets got decimated and Humanity decides to sit out? All those pretty cities and planets are going goodbye. The Systems Alliance can easily force the issue if it comes to it. Them aliens don't stand a chance against our political team, especially with those brain-stimulants the medical office passes out.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Re-did the final fight (choosing the renegade option) and this time it let me start a new game on Hardcore.

Going through as an Adept. Not sure how well this is going to work.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I buy all the other Council races completely accepting a humanity-led council just because the Council died. I mean, understandably, the humans played a huge part in fighting back Sovereign, but to just hand them the keys to everything?

These alien races have been the Citadel for two thousand years, the humans have been in the galatic stage for what was it, like 30 or so years? Surely there are some high ranking diplomats that would say "Fuck this noise!"

I suppose Santa already kind of defended this point earlier since, despite the intention, this is the "Renegade" ending.

Pretty much, but...
    It was never specifically stated how the post-Sovereign Council would look and work after ME1. I don't think the second book dwelled too much on it. And just to be clear, you do realise that the idea is a human-led Council (human-guided? Is that less egotistical?) and not a human-only Council?

Udina believes that humanity on the post- Council would have a greater hand in guiding things, but for all we know, the other races might send better diplomats that have a greater ability to undermine the human rep's positions.

I doubt it's really supposed to be much more than surface idea, but whilst the rest of the galaxy would sure look more kindly on humanity, there will still be some who would resist the idea. Maybe even point out that the Council probably could've been saved had the Alliance been more willing to commit and sacrifice for the effort.

I'd expect there would be appropriate Terra Firma groups amongst the other races, either pro-their own race or just anti-humanity. And whoever the new turian member is, they'd probably still be a cock to Shepard.
    Frankly, given what we know about ME2, it would seem a full Renegade ending would be a better lead in to the new story. But then, we don't know how the new story will begin.

I'd just have a laugh if the human rep wasn't either choice at all...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    Re-did the final fight (choosing the renegade option) and this time it let me start a new game on Hardcore.

Adept is the best. It's way more fun than the other classes and incredibly powerful.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    @Faynor, I think the point is that...
    Humans are the biggest baddest guys left. They've got the largest fleet, they took down Sovereign, a Human Spectre saved the day, and they're offering leadership. Only Joker knew about the call that Shepard made on the citadel, nobody else really knows what happened there. All the Citadel races are going to fall in line because that's their only option. Their leaders know about the new alien race, and if they don't have the backup of the Systems Alliance Fleet, they're going to be utterly screwed when the next ones come along.
    Or if the Terminus Systems find out that their fleets got decimated and Humanity decides to sit out? All those pretty cities and planets are going goodbye. The Systems Alliance can easily force the issue if it comes to it. Them aliens don't stand a chance against our political team, especially with those brain-stimulants the medical office passes out.

Uh...
    Overall, a decent analysis. However, the destruction of all the non-human fleets in Citadel-space did not decimate either the asari or turian fleets as a whole. They still have plenty of available resources to put out the proper 'we're in charge' vibes.

And with or with out the Alliance, if the Reapers appeared en masse, the galaxy would still be screwed. Unless there aren't many of them to begin with...
    There might have been a bit too much of the pro-humanity stuff at the end.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Pretty much, but...
    It was never specifically stated how the post-Sovereign Council would look and work after ME1. I don't think the second book dwelled too much on it. And just to be clear, you do realise that the idea is a human-led Council (human-guided? Is that less egotistical?) and not a human-only Council?

Udina believes that humanity on the post- Council would have a greater hand in guiding things, but for all we know, the other races might send better diplomats that have a greater ability to undermine the human rep's positions.

I doubt it's really supposed to be much more than surface idea, but whilst the rest of the galaxy would sure look more kindly on humanity, there will still be some who would resist the idea. Maybe even point out that the Council probably could've been saved had the Alliance been more willing to commit and sacrifice for the effort.

I'd expect there would be appropriate Terra Firma groups amongst the other races, either pro-their own race or just anti-humanity. And whoever the new turian member is, they'd probably still be a cock to Shepard.
    Frankly, given what we know about ME2, it would seem a full Renegade ending would be a better lead in to the new story. But then, we don't know how the new story will begin.

I just think it seems uppity in general for the humans to say "Well, we helped with this crisis, looks like we're changing your tried-and-true system that has worked for the last two thousand years!" Humanity's help should definitely get them a Council Seat, it shouldn't give them anything else. But yeah, I agree with everything you said beyond that.

It's going to be hard to guess how it'll begin since if you did the sidequests, Shepard saw Cerberus do a bunch of shady shit firsthand, and now he's working with them.

Also, early prediction: The actual human representitve will be Conrad Verner, because everyone was impressed with how well he ran the Shepard Fan Club.

Faynor on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pretty much, but...

I just think it seems uppity in general for the humans to say "Well, we helped with this crisis, looks like we're changing your tried-and-true system that has worked for the last two thousand years!" Humanity's help should definitely get them a Council Seat, it shouldn't give them anything else. But yeah, I agree with everything you said beyond that.

It's going to be hard to guess how it'll begin since if you did the sidequests, Shepard saw Cerberus do a bunch of shady shit firsthand, and now he's working with them.

Also, early prediction: The actual human representitve will be Conrad Verner, because everyone was impressed with how well he ran the Shepard Fan Club.

Except
    he dies if you're a dick to him enough times (or maybe only the last time?)

woo killin' jokes

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I also have hard time believing that humanity now has the largest military in the galaxy. Turian Hierarchy alone has what, hundreds of planets? Several client races? 5 times the dreadnaughts humanity has? The Citadel Fleet wasn't the combined fleets of all the three council species, the species simply contributed forces to that fleet. It is said that the Destiny Ascension has as much firepower as the rest of the Fleet combined, and since the Turians have the most powerful military, an single Asari warship (even the biggest in the galaxy) couldn't come close to exceeding even a fraction of their might. I think if you pick the "Humanity is going to rule all now"- choice, you are going to have the Turian, Salarian and Asari actual Fleets come knocking in ME2.

On another note, Turian society sounds awesome. I would totally want to live in that kind of place. Govermental positions based on merit? Nobody cares what you do on free time as long as you do your job well? Criminals confess instantly if caught? I'd be willing to go for a little tight-assness for that sort of stuff.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I also have hard time believing that humanity now has the largest military in the galaxy. Turian Hierarchy alone has what, hundreds of planets? Several client races? 5 times the dreadnaughts humanity has? The Citadel Fleet wasn't the combined fleets of all the three council species, the species simply contributed forces to that fleet. It is said that the Destiny Ascension has as much firepower as the rest of the Fleet combined, and since the Turians have the most powerful military, an single Asari warship (even the biggest in the galaxy) couldn't come close to exceeding even a fraction of their might. I think if you pick the "Humanity is going to rule all now"- choice, you are going to have the Turian, Salarian and Asari actual Fleets come knocking in ME2.

On another note, Turian society sounds awesome. I would totally want to live in that kind of place. Govermental positions based on merit? Nobody cares what you do on free time as long as you do your job well? Criminals confess instantly if caught? I'd be willing to go for a little tight-assness for that sort of stuff.

I was thinking along those lines as well.

And the Turians thing, I thought it was interesting that there were no laws against recreational drug use, and someone would only step in if it interfered with your job. If you didn't change after that, you're going into slave labor buddy.

Faynor on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

Adept is the best. It's way more fun than the other classes and incredibly powerful.

Sounded the most mage-like, which I tend to make my second characters into. Also started over. Died on Eden Prime :(

I will have to be more careful.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The turian culture of public service was inspired by the human society described in Robert Heinlein's novel Starship Troopers.

The turian model shouldn't be so strange to people who tend to agree with Libertarian and/or Republican ideals.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think Udina was getting a little carried away in the final moments of the Renegade ending. He was always ambitious and with the Council gone there was no more reason to mask it. He probably figured that with a human-controlled council that the Turians could be pushed off of the board entirely.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, do we know much about how the trnasfer stuff is going to work?

I want to do an insanity run after just unlocking it with my level 54 or so shepard, but I don't want to do all the extra missions. Even though I did an as complete as possible run through hardcore if I complete insanity doing the bare minimum will it take that? Alternatively, if I do the insanity run, will it overwrite my hardcore run? If push comes to shove I'd just load the level 54 hardcore complete if it's going to be adversely affected by playing the insanity run.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No, we don't know much about how the transfer is going to work at all.

However, your savegame will not be overwritten, each run of the game creates a new career file that you can base a newgame+ off of.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think Udina was getting a little carried away in the final moments of the Renegade ending. He was always ambitious and with the Council gone there was no more reason to mask it. He probably figured that with a human-controlled council that the Turians could be pushed off of the board entirely.

I don't know about that. The Mass Effect Wiki on the book Mass Effect: Ascension says this,
    The other races are heavily dependent on the Alliance's navy and military to destroy the geth.

Also, I am fairly sure your choice at the end:
    after letting the council die, is either reform the counsel or say "fuck it" humanity rules now. I had always thought it implied that the other races actually used up most all of their ships to fight Sovereign. Leaving humanity with the largest fleet.

I guess it will be a matter of time before we find out.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »

I don't know about that. The Mass Effect Wiki on the book Mass Effect: Ascension says this,
    The other races are heavily dependent on the Alliance's navy and military to destroy the geth.

Also, I am fairly sure your choice at the end:
    after letting the council die, is either reform the counsel or say "fuck it" humanity rules now. I had always thought it implied that the other races actually used up most all of their ships to fight Sovereign. Leaving humanity with the largest fleet.

I guess it will be a matter of time before we find out.
    Someone, I think Stormwaltz, said that the Turian fleet has 5 dreadnoughts for every one in the alliance at the end of the game, so I doubt that humanity can really push anyone around. I think that the renegade ending is more about reforming the council around humanity, rather than a purely human council.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    StormwaltzStormwaltz Beyond the Perseus VeilRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone, I think Stormwaltz, said that the Turian fleet has 5 dreadnoughts for every one in the alliance at the end of the game, so I doubt that humanity can really push anyone around. I think that the renegade ending is more about reforming the council around humanity, rather than a purely human council.

Yes, that. ^_^
    The power vacuum at the end of ME1 is purely at the Citadel. The Council defense fleet there gets pasted, but the overall turian, salarian, and asari fleets outnumber the humans 10:1. Despite rah-rah-Earth-First rhetoric from Udina, it's utterly impossible for the Alliance to militarily best the Council on anything more than a local and temporary scale. All they have to do is gather their fleets and steamroll us. Also, we have a dozen colonies, none with a population larger than a modern city (Terra Nova, the largest at 4.4 million, is about equal to Riyadh). The Council races each have hundreds of colonies, many old enough to have populations in the billions. We can't out-produce or out-populate them, either.

The Alliance could only maintain control over the Council through shrewd diplomacy.

Stormwaltz on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    every race that wasn't in the council was clamoring for earth to get in though, after the events of ME1. so couldn't they all be combined for some sort of federation of planets?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think the reality of Turian society bears little resemblance to that idea of it. Plenty of examples of that all over the game.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Canon male Shepard is so sexy.

That is all.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I really hope they're cutting this Mako shit out of ME2.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I think the reality of Turian society bears little resemblance to that idea of it. Plenty of examples of that all over the game.
    Don't know, most Turians except Saren and the goddamn fucking Turian councilman you meet in the game are pretty cool, aside from the general anti-human sentiment. And even that isn't completely universal.
    Stormwaltz wrote: »

Yes, that. ^_^
    The power vacuum at the end of ME1 is purely at the Citadel. The Council defense fleet there gets pasted, but the overall turian, salarian, and asari fleets outnumber the humans 10:1. Despite rah-rah-Earth-First rhetoric from Udina, it's utterly impossible for the Alliance to militarily best the Council on anything more than a local and temporary scale. All they have to do is gather their fleets and steamroll us. Also, we have a dozen colonies, none with a population larger than a modern city (Terra Nova, the largest at 4.4 million, is about equal to Riyadh). The Council races each have hundreds of colonies, many old enough to have populations in the billions. We can't out-produce or out-populate them, either.

The Alliance could only maintain control over the Council through shrewd diplomacy.

Will we ever know what's the biggest/most populated planet on the galaxy, or has that even been decided yet?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think a single planet would matter but which race has the most populated planets

alt answer: coruscant

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    I don't think a single planet would matter but which race has the most populated planets

alt answer: coruscant

One of the council races, most likely. Salarians maybe, they breed really fast. Or Asari, they live so goddamn long that there probably won't be much of a population lows in their time, minus wars and stuff.

I guess one of their home worlds would be the most populated planet as well.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stormwaltz wrote: »

Yes, that. ^_^

Yeah but the alien beings don't have Commander Shepard.

In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, there is only Shepard.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also, after watching the gameplay videos...goddamn, the talky parts are so much better looking that it is unbelievable.

DarkCrawler on