As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    You dont have to draw her specifically, wak, but it'd be nice if you drew some one who wasn't pasty every now and then. I don't think you've drawn a black chick like, ever. And yeah, I realize this is as dumb as the "lol draw some dudez" comment.

Now I'm just left wondering what a Wak-designed fancy dragon costumed Iruka character would look like.

And now I'm left wondering what I would look like as a Wak-designed character.

And now thinking about that, I suddenly feel my butt cuteness is wholly inadequate. D:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Don't sell yourself short, buddy.

DMAC on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You dont have to draw her specifically, wak, but it'd be nice if you drew some one who wasn't pasty every now and then. I don't think you've drawn a black chick like, ever. And yeah, I realize this is as dumb as the "lol draw some dudez" comment.

Now I'm just left wondering what a Wak-designed fancy dragon costumed Iruka character would look like.

And now I'm left wondering what I would look like as a Wak-designed character.

And now thinking about that, I suddenly feel my butt cuteness is wholly inadequate. D:

Wak, this needs to happen for the lulz.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And now you're thinking, "I hope that's shepherd's pie in my knickers."

second design spread layout concept that red box is temporary. theres gonna be an illustration in it.

2u94u1k.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TwistedFate, please don't bring 4chan here

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Uh oh.

Between this and the challenge thread, I'm starting to think maybe I should stop thinking aloud around here D:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    nice work, DMAC! it really pops now.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Yeah DMAC, looks much better.

And my mind is filled with an Image of bacon's butt, and its both pasty and hairy. So yeah. I'm going to say black chicks are the way to go.

Iruka on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Iruka just wants a Wakkawa painting of herself

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No I don't
    SHUT UP TAM YOULL RUIN EVERYTHING

Iruka on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm digging this more already. I think I'll do the whole spritesheet at "drawing size" and see how it animates this time before actually drilling down to the pixel level.

NewHeroFiring.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And my mind is filled with an Image of bacon's butt, and its both pasty and hairy.

Hey, just because you're absolutely right doesn't mean I am not taken aback! How'd you like it if I went around imagining YOUR bu....haaa....huuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, Bacon's broken.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Never said pasty and hairy was bad, Bacon. But I wont get into that, considering Melting Doll has pretty much called dibs.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    BOTPs:
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm digging this more already. I think I'll do the whole spritesheet at "drawing size" and see how it animates this time before actually drilling down to the pixel level.

NewHeroFiring.png

second design spread layout concept that red box is temporary. theres gonna be an illustration in it.

2u94u1k.jpg
    DMAC wrote: »
    Dmac, is that digitally inked or a vector or just your smooth ass amazing lines?

All hand drawn in pen and ink.

I tried uploading a new version with some adjustments to the shading but for some reason it doesn't seem to be showing up yet. Sometimes my hosting does weird stuff. If it still isn't there by morning I'll try again.

Edit: Here's the adjusted version. I just uploaded it under a different name.

hover_bike2.jpg

Never said pasty and hairy was bad, Bacon. But I wont get into that, considering Melting Doll has pretty much called dibs.

No need to back down now, you'd have to be the type that gets aroused by looking at pictures of wheat fields in order to enjoy the aesthetics of my bottom.

EDIT: Worst place for a TOTP ever.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wheat fields, eh..

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hoverbikes need to exist already.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weird, I was drawing hoverbike designs just yesterday. They were, of course, all rubbish and not nearly as cool as the DMAC branded range of hoverbikes.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Spent today refining some oil paintings. needa hand them all in next wednesday

This one i kinda want a majoras mask termina feel to it.
    105p4qw.jpg

Some shitty still life im trying to polish up

2zfsbgl.jpg

and yeah, you all know this...

25snb03.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A dodgy watercolour sketch from tonight

23k2emq.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the half-bend that you keep that cowboy's legs at all the time is awkward, looks unnatural and uncomfortable.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've never held/fired a gun like that before. Are you saying his legs should be straight, or just less bent? I was going for the whole "half-crouch to make yourself a smaller target", but I have no military experience or anything so I don't know if it fucks with your aim or what.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    PetalmunkPetalmunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When you fire a gun you stand shoulder width apart, with a slight bend in both knees (like you're boxing), and lean forward to anticipate the recoil. I think you've more or less got the posture, but you need to have him leaning forward to justify the bend and outward angle in the back leg... otherwise he's just preparing with the lower half of his body to be thrown off balance when he fires.
    Benelli%20shotgun.jpg

Petalmunk on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    WCK, I like doggy watercolor sketching. here's one of mine from a few nights ago:

061209.jpg

I fucked up on the nearest eye and in trying to remove the paint to fix it, removed the top layer of paper, exposing the more absorbent paper underneath... so yeah. I also apparently gave me one square-ish lens and one round, and as the top of my format shows, am incapable of drawing a roughly parallel line on my first two tries.

delz,

I'm talking about the stance you have him in both there and his normal standing frames. It's like he's perpetually in a half-squat.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    mickemicke Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me and my trees can fix this! (title)

meandmytreescanfixthis_small.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    delz,

I'm talking about the stance you have him in both there and his normal standing frames. It's like he's perpetually in a half-squat.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I'm not keeping any of the old frames. I'm making him a few pixels taller and his idle animation will be a more natural stance.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    cool.

You should do an entertaining idle animation. A good breathing or looking around. I've always liked them in the Metal Slug series.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cool idea! Pulling out a canteen and taking a drink would probably work, given the story and environs...

I mean, it's low priority, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the canteen is a rad idea. what do you have in mind for running and standing with the new two handed weapon? in his hands, swinging back and forth, like running with a rifle? or slung over his shoulder or at his side on a strap or something?

Also, I was thinking if you wanted to animate the chamber rotating, you could have the powerups be full chambers the character would hypothetically swap out instead of shells loaded into the chamber.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm going with the second one. Number 3, or E since it's flipped. What do you guys think?

thumbs2b.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i like 1 better cause of his stripey pants

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Re: running animation. I'm not quite sure. The hero is a desert traveler, so I imagine he'd carry it on a strap if he were walking, but the game's action element suggests he'd probably run with it in both hands. I'm afraid of whether or not I can draw that, though... animations have never been a strong point. Even the run animation was basically done by looking at the Super Metroid spritesheet.

Here's how the powerup system in the game works and how it's tied to the hardware. The gun has the six chambers and primary barrel to start with. There are also two auxiliary barrels that can be found and attached. Barrels have a changeable firing template (the templates are findable powerups) - you can choose if you want any of the barrels to fire straight, at an angle, etc (with a few restrictions on the primary barrel). Additionally, findable cartridge powerups give the shots properties like piercing or impact by loading them in the chambers. But each cartridge can only be 'routed' to a single barrel. So you could have homing burning piercing shocking bouncing impact rounds firing out of the primary barrel but you'd be dry-firing the auxiliaries.

edit: F87, I like the first one, but I'm not crazy about the thing in front of his face.

edit 2: DMAC, I've been meaning to say how rad that hoverbike is. How did you get that background, though? Usually I see a pattern like that and can figure out how to make it in photoshop pretty easily, but that one has me stumped.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks guys, I will probably go with the first now, minus face guard and plus elements from the one I chose.

These are the proportions I'm going to go with, I want this guy to be THE bad ass motherfucker. Swordsman, acrobat, espionage. He is the medieval Jason Bourne.

jack1.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I will probably go with the first now, minus face guard and plus elements from the one I chose.

These are the proportions I'm going to go with, I want this guy to be THE bad ass motherfucker. Swordsman, acrobat, espionage. He is the medieval Jason Bourne.

*snip*

Lookin' good. I think you've done a pretty good job of reining in your leg length.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

2u94u1k.jpg

This has many issues with page design. First of all, lose all the black everywhere. The font on the caption is a title font, not for paragraphs of text. You've got single word lines (SWL or widows) all over the body. The title works better as a subhead, it's not an interesting headline. The headline is also set up strangely with a weird break. Try putting the caption in the lower left or right hand corner. The image should draw you in, not the caption. The white space in the lower right of the second page seems pointless.

Simplify this. Use the left page for the image and the image only (with a caption maybe). Leave the white space on the right page somewhere near the top to draw the reader in. Simplify your message. Is this about Disney? Or Ghost of Mars? Or Captain Nemo? Get a clear focus.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Update:

jack2.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    some twiddles from this evening. fairly pleased with the first one, not so sure about the second

INTROsmall.jpg

aaron2small.jpg

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [QUOTE=NibCrom;10524294This has many issues with page design. First of all, lose all the black everywhere. The font on the caption is a title font, not for paragraphs of text. You've got single word lines (SWL or widows) all over the body. The title works better as a subhead, it's not an interesting headline. The headline is also set up strangely with a weird break. Try putting the caption in the lower left or right hand corner. The image should draw you in, not the caption. The white space in the lower right of the second page seems pointless.

Simplify this. Use the left page for the image and the image only (with a caption maybe). Leave the white space on the right page somewhere near the top to draw the reader in. Simplify your message. Is this about Disney? Or Ghost of Mars? Or Captain Nemo? Get a clear focus.[/QUOTE]

this was the final layout id come up with last night.

2ynrlza.jpg

deleted the bg

14ne58o.jpg

Im not sure about loosing the black. I havnt edited the text in the body, mainly because after not doing grpahic deisgn for over a year, ive forgotten how to use InDesign D: We where given two articles, so can't really change the text. but yeah everything you said is right. i'll hop to it "chop" "chop".

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    NewHeroStanding.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your drawings frighten me a little Miso.....in a good way, but also in a scary way.

Mustang on
This discussion has been closed.