As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is an engraving of a [Chat]

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think i'll get A+ certified soon. Good idea or useless?

In my experience I would say useless. I worked for 2 years doing Dell and Apple warranty work and other PC repair at CU.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Preacher: some banks are very friendly with open carry, let alone concealed. It's thought to deter crime. I was carrying concealed, though, which the guard recognized. It was cool until he put his hand on my gun which is a huge no-no.
    Damn these bank security guards, getting all worked up over something as trivial as a guy bringing a concealed gun into a bank. Don't they have jobs to do?

Security guards do have jobs to do, and nowhere in that job description is "suddenly and violently grab the handgun of a nonthreatening person". That's the exact opposite of effective security.
    A guy bringing a concealed gun into a bank fits most rational definitions of "threatening person".

That's not true. There are gradients to every situation. By the freakiest of chances he saw a speck of my grip, he politely took me aside and told me guns weren't permitted on the premises. I'd already filled out my deposit slip and said "ok, no problem- would you mind just giving this to a teller, then?" and he said no, and offered to hold my gun and I could continue the transaction. I said I wasn't comfortable with a stranger carrying my weapon and told him I'd simply return without my firearm. I started to walk away (towards the front door where no one was standing- customers or employees) and he tried to grab my weapon.

If anything his behavior was threatening.

Organichu on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You already posted that.

Like a year ago, jesus christ.

Nu uh.

Sarksus on
  • rickoricko Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So we can just chat in this thread? That's the idea, ramble on? Time is now, to sing my song?
    yeah that's right, led zeppelin.

ricko on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh neat, I found some underground mud one level beneath that drained lake.

I might actually live to do neat things like traps and magma switches and all.

Nerdgasmic on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Preacher: some banks are very friendly with open carry, let alone concealed. It's thought to deter crime. I was carrying concealed, though, which the guard recognized. It was cool until he put his hand on my gun which is a huge no-no.
    Damn these bank security guards, getting all worked up over something as trivial as a guy bringing a concealed gun into a bank. Don't they have jobs to do?

Security guards do have jobs to do, and nowhere in that job description is "suddenly and violently grab the handgun of a nonthreatening person". That's the exact opposite of effective security.
    A guy bringing a concealed gun into a bank fits most rational definitions of "threatening person".

That's not true. There are gradients to every situation. By the freakiest of chances he saw a speck of my grip, he politely took me aside and told me guns weren't permitted on the premises. I'd already filled out my deposit slip and said "ok, no problem- would you mind just giving this to a teller, then?" and he said no, and offered to hold my gun and I could continue the transaction. I said I wasn't comfortable with a stranger carrying my weapon and told him I'd simply return without my firearm. I started to walk away (towards the front door where no one was standing- customers or employees- and he tried to grab my weapon.

You walked into a bank carrying where weapons aren't permitted.

You were the threatening one from before you even started talking to the guy.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Please Organ would never take the jewish conspiracies money.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • evilintentevilintent Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay.

I've boiled the avatar down to:

Famke O-facing when Jackman "stabs" her.

or

Famke looking peaceful after the deed is done.

or

Famke's face looking like it's made of cracked Earth (pre-O).

evilintent on
    6a00d83451c45669e2011571303907970b-.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's not true. There are gradients to every situation. By the freakiest of chances he saw a speck of my grip, he politely took me aside and told me guns weren't permitted on the premises. I'd already filled out my deposit slip and said "ok, no problem- would you mind just giving this to a teller, then?" and he said no, and offered to hold my gun and I could continue the transaction. I said I wasn't comfortable with a stranger carrying my weapon and told him I'd simply return without my firearm. I started to walk away (towards the front door where no one was standing- customers or employees) and he tried to grab my weapon.

So you're not ok with a stranger (a security guard) holding your gun, but you assume that everyone in the bank is ok with a stranger (you) bringing a hidden handgun into the bank? You really are an idiot.

And I'm not even talking about how you think a security guard in uniform is threatening for doing his job of insuring the security of the bank and its customers against some nutcase who just walked in with a concealed gun and refused to give it up.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    a post I made this morning is already one of the top results for "rad chillies"

google works hella fast

Senjutsu on
    edited June 2009
    xorborgle generates zero results at this moment

let's see how long that is true for

Senjutsu on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Having a holstered weapon in a bank = bad decision.

Lunging for a holstered weapon on somebody's person if they're not trying to kill anyone = really fucking terrible decision.

Struggling over a firearm is a good way to get someone shot. Not saying there aren't situation where it is necessary, but making a random grab for one in a nonviolent situation seems somewhere between "dumb" and "proving Darwin wrong by surviving."

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    xorborgle generates zero results at this moment

let's see how long that is true for

TWO MENTIONS ON THE SAME PAGE

SUPER RELEVANT

(xorborgle)

skippydumptruck on
    edited June 2009
    Elldren there were no signs posted. At no point did I ever raise my voice, put my hands on anyone, disobey any orders, or reach for my weapon in any way whatsoever. I carry my gun everywhere except: a.) places forbidden by state law, and b.) places who make it expressly known that they don't wish guns on the premises. This place didn't fit either of those... and when I was told that they didn't like guns, I went "ok, I'm going to leave, but will you do me this favor?" He said no, so I left.

I can understand why he felt threatened (he's just nervous around guns, is my guess), but I don't think he was in the right. *shrug*

Organichu on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man I don't even need to read anymore

the computer does all the work

Elendil on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    man I don't even need to read anymore

the computer does all the work

And so Skynet took over the Earth.

Cinders on
    edited June 2009
    if I had more muscles, I would carry a giant sledgehammer around with me at all times

skippydumptruck on
    edited June 2009
    if I had more muscles, I would carry a giant sledgehammer around with me at all times

But with your current strength the best you could do is a ball peen hammer.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2009
    There's this saying about two wrongs not making a left or something.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2009

If you carry a giant sledgehammer with you at all times, you will get more muscles.

PotatoNinja on
    edited June 2009

3 wrongs make a right, I think is how it goes

Senjutsu on
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

so true

tiny hammers are much less intimidating

skippydumptruck on
    edited June 2009
    and then if someone reached for my hammer, I would smite him

like Thor

skippydumptruck on
    edited June 2009
    the first issue of my subscription to ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems has arrived

Senjutsu on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just keep being wrong and eventually people will accept the results.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009

So you're not ok with a stranger (a security guard) holding your gun, but you assume that everyone in the bank is ok with a stranger (you) bringing a hidden handgun into the bank? You really are an idiot.

They don't have to okay with it. It's my weapon, and my property. The bank is their property. If they ask me to leave for any reason whatsoever (except my sex, orientation, race, etc.) I will happily leave as I offered to do.
    And I'm not even talking about how you think a security guard in uniform is threatening for doing his job of insuring the security of the bank and its customers against some nutcase who just walked in with a concealed gun and refused to give it up.

He threatened me by grabbing my weapon. I was presented with two options: stay on these premises without a gun, or keep the gun and leave. I chose to leave and I don't think there's anything inherently threatening about that.

Organichu on
    edited June 2009
    Just keep being wrong and eventually people will accept the results.

[/dickcheney]

Senjutsu on
    edited June 2009

so true

Not packing much south of the border?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    I wonder how boxcar children holds up

If they're packed in syrup, they taste delicious for several months.

Gim on
    edited June 2009

No, drive in L.A.: Three rights make a left.

PotatoNinja on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carrying a gun into a bank is kind of really silly

deadonthestreet on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    a post I made this morning is already one of the top results for "rad chillies"

google works hella fast

I think i'm going to order those when I get The Dude and Castastrophe pint glasses.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009

so true

Not packing much south of the border?

look, I can drive a (small) nail as well as the next guy

*tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap*

skippydumptruck on
    edited June 2009

No, drive in L.A.: Three rights make a left.

Or in Utah, 3 wives make a set

Senjutsu on
    edited June 2009

well what would you suggest I rob it with then, smart guy

Senjutsu on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's kind of like going into a Hell's Angels bar and announcing that bikers are all monkey-fucking wusses.

It's not -right- that they will curb stomp you, but at the same time, you a foo'.

Incenjucar on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

You could start doing that anyway and you would get a bunch of muscles from having to carry the damn thing around.

edit: beat'd hard.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited June 2009

You could start doing that anyway and you would get a bunch of muscles from having to carry the damn thing around.

edit: beat'd hard.

Shit son, you were so late you should go get a pregnancy test

Senjutsu on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Hell's Angels is a scary secret society.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    god that phrase is so visceral my jaw hurts just reading it.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.