As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    not bad, but on the aiming one, you're starting the foot too low, with too round of a transition, and cropping too much of the sole.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Your drawings frighten me a little Miso.....in a good way, but also in a scary way.

This makes me happy

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [QUOTE=NibCrom;10524294This has many issues with page design. First of all, lose all the black everywhere. The font on the caption is a title font, not for paragraphs of text. You've got single word lines (SWL or widows) all over the body. The title works better as a subhead, it's not an interesting headline. The headline is also set up strangely with a weird break. Try putting the caption in the lower left or right hand corner. The image should draw you in, not the caption. The white space in the lower right of the second page seems pointless.

Simplify this. Use the left page for the image and the image only (with a caption maybe). Leave the white space on the right page somewhere near the top to draw the reader in. Simplify your message. Is this about Disney? Or Ghost of Mars? Or Captain Nemo? Get a clear focus.

this was the final layout id come up with last night.

2ynrlza.jpg

deleted the bg

14ne58o.jpg

Im not sure about loosing the black. I havnt edited the text in the body, mainly because after not doing grpahic deisgn for over a year, ive forgotten how to use InDesign D: We where given two articles, so can't really change the text. but yeah everything you said is right. i'll hop to it "chop" "chop".[/QUOTE]

Looks better. :)

NibCrom on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Update on these pieces! Photographed against my dorky bed spread :| Almost finished!

wip-overgrowth5.jpg

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    goddamn those are cool.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    :D

they look better individually than all lumped together... It sort of looks a bit baffling when they're all side by side like that.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cordyceps.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Update on these pieces! Photographed against my dorky bed spread :| Almost finished!

wip-overgrowth5.jpg

Holy crap! They look fantastic. They work really well as a set. If you where to give one to me, i'd probably pick the purple one.

BTW, how dare you post these in the doodle thread. theyre too good

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been recommended to not study for a while so there's nothing to do right now. Here's another quick doodle I made

Thesandisrunningout.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fail...

jackblacku.th.jpg

Might have to start doing 3 hr anatomy and facial studies every day. Looks really flat.

looks pretty good loom.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thank you

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

wip-overgrowth5.jpg

These are awful, you are awful, you should purge yourself of all this awfulness by sending them to me for appropriate disposal procedures.
    Disposal procedures may or may not involve hanging them on my wall.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Glad you're digging them. I've got to deliver them to the gallery tomorrow morning. I may have called in sick today..................! Don't tell anyone.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loom, you eyebrows and ears look really out of wack. The lines also look heavy too, did you draw with a Wacom?

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I have to say, those are amongst some of the few paintings that could legitimately have the title, "Penis Rules the Future" and I'd still want hanging on my wall. :^:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yah I made the eyebrows rather large, but i'm not sure what you mean about the ears unless you mean the fact I forgot to complete the ear lobe thingy

I drew with a wacom, I could go back to fix it but I just like to leave the things as I first draw them I'm not really use to this whole you can magically manifest a drawing and the paper has no harm to it thingy

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the first thing that jumps out about the ears is that you are finishing the jaw behind the ear.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow, thats because I thought it was behind the ear for some reason thank you for pointing that out, I guess i'll fix that right now

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thanks, I never really looked closely at a ear, so I always assumed it was over.. the other thingy

Thesandisrunningout-2.jpg

I'll remember that just like anything else forever

I like using thick brushes

decided I might as well change the eyebrows while doing that

oh wowwww that makes so much more senseeeee thats why I like doing quick doodles it really helps pull out those minor things that other people can help spot, like how beavotron realized I was shitty with cloth

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How big are those, DesperateRobots?

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    8"x20" or 8"x24", i forget :|

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It looks better. Helping others is just one of the many things Manonvon does 8-).

RandomAction on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll try to use a smaller brush size next time as well, I just reallly like using size 15

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can also house-sit or wife-sit while dudes go out of town.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WIPnude.jpg
    Hrrrmmm, Been at this for a while now.
    First real attempt at painting in photoshop. Its hard! Let me dig up the reference image.
    HERE IT IS: URL="http://areuexp.deviantart.com/art/Amanda-Kneeling-125902508"]NSFW[/URL

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Decided to re-visit this one. If it turns out ok (as a quick paint) im gonna throw it in with my other work which i hand in friday.

2elcpdg.jpg

Cant wiat till i can move away from sci-fi

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    You know, if you are trying to get that dude into perspective with that camera angle, that is a foreshortening nightmare situation you're looking at.

Tried to get it closer here and at least make it feel like he's being effected by the obvious vanishing point, but admittedly it's probably still pretty shit because that is a hard as fuck angle to pull off:
    WCK_persp.jpg

On the other hand, if you'd rather try to modify the background to work with the front-on figure drawing you currently have, the picture is going to have to probably be taller, showing a lot more of the bottoms of the buildings that are currently cut off, and you'd have to employ 4 or (preferably) 5 point perspective. Either way, that's going to be real hard times getting it right.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the paintover dude. haha. it was hard enough trying to gert the building composition right, but adding a person into the scene is just impossible. I think i'll edit the dude, its much easier than re-starting the background. Cheers mate. It makes things a lot clearer.

EDIT: holy crap yours is good.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    its as if he does art for a career or something

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Decided to just role with it. Could kinda say i was inspired by t i m's work (the bold colours)
    Gonna add a big ass space ship or something
    iz8bgj.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He's falling into the camera.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    He's falling into the camera.

clearly that is the intention of the piece! It was a creative choice and has nothing to do with the fact that i dont understand a thing about perspective.:P
    maybe a little

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, if you're willing, Bacon's is hella more accurate...you could try redrawing the guy, and referencing the perspective in that? :)

Also, maybe make the bush smaller and more in the corner...it's dividing the picture in half, with the guy on the other side.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Get rid of the dude. Make him a robot. Made of rectangles. That you can put into perspective properly. I mean, if you're on a deadline....!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was going to take his picture and reference it. But i felt guilty in that i was taking something he did. Dunno why though. Good point on the bushes, consider it edited.

BTW people, my mum thinks its really good. so encouraging.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    PetalmunkPetalmunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't posted many doodles in awhile, but I found this one I did awhile ago based on Ursula le Guin's, 'A Wizard of Earthsea'.
    GedandOtek.JPG
    Checkout how tiny his feet are :D go go gadget anatomy issues

Petalmunk on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was going to take his picture and reference it. But i felt guilty in that i was taking something he did. Dunno why though. Good point on the bushes, consider it edited.

BTW people, my mum thinks its really good. so encouraging.

Neat little tip, though I don't know if you're already aware, but the best way to stay in perspective is to stay zoomed out all the way so you can still look at the rest of the picture.

To me it looks alright if you crop it, which I'm sure you were doing, staying zoomed in to draw out the person. But zooming out is when it looks kind of off. So try drawing another person figure out in full zoomed outness and you'll probably have a easier time getting it to look right. Once you can get that done you can zoom in and move on to detailing him.

(This was one of the reasons my first attempt at digital painting a few pages back was just a landscape, because perspective is a bitch to tame.)

RCagent on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    lol, I like the Otak on his shoulder awsome :^:

RandomAction on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Update on this dude:

wip4.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think with the weight distribution there are two ways you could go.

A) Handwave the weight and have him doing something more dynamic with the big arm

B) Accept that the weight would basically keep this thing on the ground and move his center of gravity

Out of curiosity I walked around the office looking for heavy things to pick up and I noticed two things about carrying a significant weight one-handed. First, when you pick it up or lower it, you center your weight above one leg, and that foot is as close as you can get to the item. Second, even a couple dozen pounds will significantly affect your shoulders and overall posture if you're holding it off the ground.

I was going to do a quick sketch, but I haven't drawn with a mouse in years - it was unrecognizable as a human form.

Delzhand on
This discussion has been closed.