As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain America: Now With 20% More Angst!

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well it is his fault. Tony is a bad bad man. He deserved to be slapped. Stupid pro-registration asshole.

Woah woah... We all know who's fault this really is.

Redskull-1.png

I'd make that my avatar if I wasn't running a theme right now.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just finished Vol. 1 of Death of Captain America. Goddamn I love this series. Can't wait to get the other trades.

Is fallen son any good? I see that Loeb gets a lot of hate on these boards, but damn the concept looks damn cool.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fallen Son is good. Loeb wrote a good story there.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really didn't like Fallen Son when I first read it. Then I went back through pretty recently and they're actually pretty fun stories. Worth checking out, I'd say.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited December 2008
    Loeb doesn't get my money by virtue of being Loeb, regardless of how good his stories might be. It's my own, very small, very pointless way of trying to get him shit canned.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Loeb doesn't get my money by virtue of being Loeb, regardless of how good his stories might be. It's my own, very small, very pointless way of trying to get him shit canned.

fight the good fight.

(i do that kind of thing too)

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd handcuff Loeb and Sale together if I could.

Speaking of which, is Captain America: White any good?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fallen Son is easily Loeb's best Marvel work

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh shit, I just thought of an awesome choice for whoever the Iron Patriot turns out to be...
    The Grand Director aka 50's era Cap who showed up in DofCA. Sounds good?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would think, from Norman's perspective, that that particular character would be better suited to stay in his current costume.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was just watching Conan O'brien and he mentioned during his monologue that Marvel is bringing back Captain America. I assume that's the "special event" in issue 600 that they've been hyping for a while? I really hope this isn't true.

Its been a couple years now since Steve Rogers died, but I don't want him back yet. As long as Brubaker is at the helm, I feel like there is still a lot of possibility for great stories featuring Captain Bucky. I mean, maybe with a lesser writer they ought to bring back Steve, but Brubaker has taken this thing from inception, and there hasn't been a bad issue yet. It just seems too soon to me.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was just watching Conan O'brien and he mentioned during his monologue that Marvel is bringing back Captain America. I assume that's the "special event" in issue 600 that they've been hyping for a while? I really hope this isn't true.

Its been a couple years now since Steve Rogers died, but I don't want him back yet. As long as Brubaker is at the helm, I feel like there is still a lot of possibility for great stories featuring Captain Bucky. I mean, maybe with a lesser writer they ought to bring back Steve, but Brubaker has taken this thing from inception, and there hasn't been a bad issue yet. It just seems too soon to me.

Oh man, Bru writing the further adventures of this guy?
    buckyoha.jpg

I'd be there yesterday.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    devoir on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I shall wait until I have Issue 600 before clicking on that link. Bucky Cap is still awesome though.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Issue 600 came out yesterday

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A comic that comes out on a Monday? What?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Actually, yesterday was Wednesay, which explains why you were 48 hours late for work.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Actually, yesterday was Wednesay, which explains why you were 48 hours late for work.

Oh man. I am so boned. What do I tell my boss?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh man. I am so boned. What do I tell my boss?

Tell him
    you got shot with a magic gun, that transported to some diffrent dimension/plane of existance.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So did nobody buy the comic yet? A lot of places seem to have ordered the book for Wednesday instead of yesterday.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Theres no point complaining because it wont make a difference but its a real shame they're bringing him back, hes one hero the world can live without for a longer period of time and then come back when Bucky has established himself as a new, different Captain America. I mean it really doens't feel like its been that long since he died.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't see how the world can live without Captain America anymore than it can live without any other hero.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Plus in like every alternate reality, when all the heroes die, everyone's happy and safe.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't see how the world can live without Captain America anymore than it can live without any other hero.

I meant our world.

YOu can't get away with killing Batman, Spider-Man or Superman for long but Captain America? The world will go on. It cheapens the whole thing that he is coming back so quickly.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So did nobody buy the comic yet? A lot of places seem to have ordered the book for Wednesday instead of yesterday.

I bought it and enjoyed it

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I meant our world.

YOu can't get away with killing Batman, Spider-Man or Superman for long but Captain America? The world will go on. It cheapens the whole thing that he is coming back so quickly.

Yeah, I get that Captain America isn't in the top 5 most popular heroes in comics (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Spawn, as of 1995), but he's still more important than most of the characters outside of that list. Even his absence has had a profound effect on every major story since his death, vastly overshadowing the roles other characters have played in recent events.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think it would've been a better move to wait until the movie launch and bring him back just enough before hand so that fans brought in by the movie can pick up that month's issue and get a fairly expected status quo.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They're better off re-releasing some trades and having bookstores pimp them out, I think.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It just strikes me as, rather than there being some reader-centric reason to bring Steve back, they're possibly doing it to beat DC to the punch. It's no mystery that Bruce Wayne will be back, and sooner rather than later...

That way, this time next Summer when DC releases their press releases and whatnot saying that Batman is coming back, the non-comic book reader who sees it on the news may think right away - "But didn't Captain America just do that a year ago? How original..."

It's even better that DC has already snuck the "Batman: Reborn" subtitle onto the first issues (maybe first arc) of all the Batman books with new-Batman...

So, who's attempt at a trump beats whose?

stratslinger on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I doubt this is what's happening, but I would love for Steve to come back and decide that he will let Bucky keep the mantle and Steve becomes a more Nick Fury kind of guy. Tactical supervisor and leader of the resistance kind of thing.

Steve would be back, but not as Cap.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it weird that upon hearing of how they intend to bring Cap back (we all knew it was coming) I went through all 5 stages of mouring?

Edit: I see that Jack Eddy went from stage 1 to stage 3 without resorting to stage 2.

Don't hold it in. In this place you can express your nerd rage openly without fear of rejection. Kinda.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I... really wish Steve wasn't coming back.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't even like Bucky cap and I don't want to see Steve back yet.

Also issue 600 pretty much sucks. She shot him with
    a magic gun that didn't kill him?

gtfo

desc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can only assume you guys don't want Steve back because one of you is a Nazi and the other one is a Batroc the Leaper.
    Magic gun is pretty lame, though. We're meant to believe Skull could have killed Steve, but didn't?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There was an interesting article on Blog@ yesterday that had a good summary of events:

-Comic fans are generally adverse to change, but take to characters if built up right and not forced down our throats
    -Brubaker builds up Bucky being back and makes him interesting, continuing on without worrying about the reaction to bringing Bucky back from the dead
    -Steve is killed, Bucky takes his place, and in doing so is welcomed by a good majority of fans, succeeding in bringing something new and "change" to the comics medium
    -Marvel brings back Steve a little under three years after killing him off, which pretty much always is to the detriment of the new character

Basically, Marvel whines about not being able to do change with characters, Brubaker does it right (it should be a frikkin case study), then Marvel foolishly brings Steve back, and will no doubt get pissy with readers who didn't want Steve to come back (especially so soon), especially with something as weak as what was presented in Cap #600.

They're essentially instigating that whole "comics can never change" BS they always rail against.

And they did the exact same thing with Spider-Man, and can't even take their blinders off to realize not to do it again.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Exactly.

Except the key point is they can successfully market Reborn to the mainstream that last checked in with Captain America at issue #25 (you know, the very mainstream that'll pay out the ass for #600 or whatever but not pick up another comic until three years from now when they can pull another stunt like this), so they stand to generate a lot of interest and make some quick cash from this. At least, that's my guess. Can't fathom why they would ever, ever do something like this otherwise, given how awesome Bucky is and how good the series has been with him as the title character, especially given that anyone who really has a problem with it can pick up Ultimate Avengers or whatever the fuck.

Sigh. At least Brubaker is still writing.

Edit: And just for the record, I'm sure this will be a perfectly good story, and the book will continue to be good even if/when Steve comes back, but it's still a little depressing how quickly publishers go running back to the status quo.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shouldn't the decision to bring back Steve so quickly be at least partly on Brubakers shoulders? I know Marvel gave the go-ahead but this is Bru's baby.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There was an interesting article on Blog@ yesterday that had a good summary of events:

-Comic fans are generally adverse to change, but take to characters if built up right and not forced down our throats
    -Brubaker builds up Bucky being back and makes him interesting, continuing on without worrying about the reaction to bringing Bucky back from the dead
    -Steve is killed, Bucky takes his place, and in doing so is welcomed by a good majority of fans, succeeding in bringing something new and "change" to the comics medium
    -Marvel brings back Steve a little under three years after killing him off, which pretty much always is to the detriment of the new character

Basically, Marvel whines about not being able to do change with characters, Brubaker does it right (it should be a frikkin case study), then Marvel foolishly brings Steve back, and will no doubt get pissy with readers who didn't want Steve to come back (especially so soon), especially with something as weak as what was presented in Cap #600.

They're essentially instigating that whole "comics can never change" BS they always rail against.

And they did the exact same thing with Spider-Man, and can't even take their blinders off to realize not to do it again.

Hmm... I like the cut of your jib. Marvel hire this person!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there any evidence that bringing Cap back is editorial mandate rather than something instigated by Brunbaker?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there any evidence that bringing Cap back is editorial mandate rather than something instigated by Brunbaker?

Thats what I have been wondering as well. JoeQ was pretty adamant about not bringing back Cap, but the guy is full of shit. If it was Bru's idea, I cant figure out why he would think its a good idea from the story-telling angle.

muninn on