As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jazzman's 3D animation thread: UPDATE: I got a job animating games!

• Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah my friend who does physics at uni seemed appalled that I didn't know this, but I didn't think anybody would want to see an updated video with them falling at the same speed.

I'll make add some of those changes to the ball one now and see how it looks. I agree that it slows down too much going up the hill, I spent a while trying to get a balance without having the change the scene but I might just have to.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I fixed up the old one as best I could, and then made this new one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqq64cLs8-Y

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big improvement from the first obstical course. Sorry I didn't comment on any of the other ones, was away for a few days.

Anyway, from what I'm seeing the turning platform slows down too quickly from the second hit. Besides that it looks pretty good to me.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Did a runcycle,

going for realistic, and not sprinting. its 19 frames recyling (as I'm gearing all this towards games)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWGKfUriqo

EDIT: And ty for your reply, you're right about the second spin

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yo, made the run better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgjhGJSOM-Q

and I made this animation of a guy throwing an object

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_gPSFMPR_w

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys, I ripped the model for this half life guy, re-rigged and re-skinned him, and here's the first little test I did (Kind of sick of making animations with the stick guy because your mind automatically expects a stick man to move like a cartoon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxme7uuF0ic

I've not given up on the animation mentor stuff! I just kind of got this idea into my head last day or two, anyway

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure what it is, but something about the wieght on the follow through for the punch looks off to me.

Like, too mechanical. Maybe it's because after the punch is delivered his left shoulder just locks into place in space and doesn't move at all. Actually, his whole left side of his torso doesn't follow through. Or seem to. His left arm should swing forward a bit after delivering a blow like that. His left shoulder should go further forward. And neither should stop at the same time as one another. Hope that helps.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    thejazzman wrote: »
    You may be right, I thought I'd covered that though b/c the one on the right drops a lot faster than the one on the left.

You do realize that an object's weight has no bearing on the speed of its fall, right? A lead ball would fall just as fast as a hollow plastic one.

Can someone please elaborate on this?

I mean, we all grew up on earth and not in a vacuum. Since air resistance has a greater impact on objects with less mass, we all assume the bowlingball drops faster than the football.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I assumed they were correct, I don't know anything about physics so not gonna argue

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the punch, the most important parts are the antic and follow through. You should shorten the number of frames (increase the speed) during the part where the punch follows the antic and arrives at the destination.

Additionally, you seem to have an unnecessary pose following the punch, where the fist curls around and wraps into the chest. Think about what your character is doing. The punch pure momentum, and when it strikes it's target, how much of that momentum is left? Where is your character going once the target has been hit? how much recovery time is needed to gain control of that limb once it's been whipped out? Does your animation show the character attempting to gain control of the limb?

Don't hesitate to act it out and try to identify the key storytelling poses within the action. Try to imagine your curve editor; which lines continue onward in smooth succession (illusion of momentum?) and which lines bend abruptly to represent impact or jarring motions?

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey, you're right about the curling arm at the end, although I think part of the problem in that video, is that I accidentally deleted the older one which showed it from different angles, and its not actaully a 'strait' punch, its a hook, and a lot of that is lost from that angle. Having said that though is is pretty wack at the end, I'm not sure if that punch will actually make it into the reel, but it's working in game and I will definately fix it up in case I want to use it when I start putting all this together.

I'm working on some Prince of Persia/Assasins Creed platforming stuff at the moment alongside some little ball momentum tests, will have some stuff to show pretty soon and I'll post a better punch too.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlightedArtBlightedArt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey there thejazzman, you've got some great progress so far.

I think you're too worried about your gestures being illegible during animation due to being too quick, you'll be amazed with how the human mind can "animate" its own in-betweens from one keyframe to another (I basically mean you can show someone the first keyframe, then the second keyframe, and their mindseye will fill in the rest). Like Creambun 007 suggested, you can shorten the number of frames in some parts. Try to be more loose with your characters follow-through too in the more powerful animations, you had a great thing going in your first post with the looney running cycle (if you compare that run cycle with your combine run cycle, you can really see the difference in "power" behind the gesture).

That doesn't mean that your combine run cycle is bad, its still very good in a more realistic context, but a little exaggeration could give your realistic animations a bit more "umph".

Hope to see more from you soon!

BlightedArt on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    You may be right, I thought I'd covered that though b/c the one on the right drops a lot faster than the one on the left.

You do realize that an object's weight has no bearing on the speed of its fall, right? A lead ball would fall just as fast as a hollow plastic one.

I mean, we all grew up on earth and not in a vacuum. Since air resistance has a greater impact on objects with less mass, we all assume the bowlingball drops faster than the football.

True, air resistance does play its part, but, first of all, it's not as dramatic as jazz's demo would indicate, and to be perfectly honest, i'd say shape and surface area affect air resistance's role in the speed at which things fall than mass; a 20-pound parachute is going to fall slower than a 5-pound spear. For objects the same size, one of the objects would have to be quite light for air resistance to affect its rate of fall enough to be noticeable; 5- and 10-pound balls are, to most observers, going to hit the ground at the same time.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey, been working on this jumpy, acrobatic bit, got the basic motions down and I'm like gunna polish and stuff now, get better weight and motion etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEXN2q4FeQ

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the feedback BlightedArt, looks like I haven't checked the thread for a few days so I missed your reply.

Yeah I definitely feel like there's a balance to strike between realistic and exaggerated, because just looking at a run animation out of context, the bouncy, heavy one is going to be more interesting every time, built you don't want to see that in the trenches of Killzone 2 or whatever, I will try doing some of those kind of basic animations with a bit of a middle ground feel and see how they come out

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dude. it doesn't seem like you're really listenign to the feedback people are giving you.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    r-jasper wrote: »
    dude. it doesn't seem like you're really listenign to the feedback people are giving you.

Ok, fair enough. You're saying I should stop all this full body motion stuff and stick with ball bounces yes?

I'm honestly not trying to ignore criticism in the slightest, I really try to reply to people and take on feedback.

I guess I'm not doing a very good job. I'm going to stop posting these things and go completely with the basic stuff ok?

I would just say, let's take the run cycle I did up there for example. Could you actually give some feedback on this kind of thing? What's wrong with the cycle? What basics am I missing? This is not me being an asshole about this in the slightest, I honestly want to know these things because the feedback I get is quite limited and I want, I don't know, motivation to encourage me to go and bounce a ball again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIDJRQICzo8

How about this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqq64cLs8-Y

How are the basics here?

I wanna totally stress that this feedback is welcomed and needed. Can you comment on those two specific videos? It would be very useful because obviously one is 'back to basics' and one is 'getting ahead of yourself, you're ignoring everything'

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sorry for not responding with more stuff recently. I've been busy with moving and stuff.

The main problem I'm seeing with all your clips of a human figure is that they look very... robotic. Move from one pose to the next. Like moving is a step by step process to them. This is very apparent in your acrobatic video. Which, while being a good run through, just seems very wooden, with the weight not being there at points.

I think for the most part you have the bouncing ball stuff down. What I think you need to work on more is more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b35WcSaZxus

For some reason the tail just doesn't seem right to me. It looks like it's stopping way too fast considering how much it lags when it's dragged through the air. In other words, when being dragged it looks like the end of the tail is rather light. But when it swings, it looks like it's rather heavy. Figuring out how to consistantly have the tail show the same weight is one of the points of the exercise.

I wish there was a way to visually comment on videos, but alas I don't know of one. If so I feel I might be able to help you a little more.

Anyway, once I get moved and settled and stuff, I plan on making a rig for max that's similar to the "legs attached to circle" rig from animation mentor for my own practice. If you want I'll e-mail it to you when it's done.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bwanie wrote: »

True, air resistance does play its part, but, first of all, it's not as dramatic as jazz's demo would indicate, and to be perfectly honest, i'd say shape and surface area affect air resistance's role in the speed at which things fall than mass; a 20-pound parachute is going to fall slower than a 5-pound spear. For objects the same size, one of the objects would have to be quite light for air resistance to affect its rate of fall enough to be noticeable; 5- and 10-pound balls are, to most observers, going to hit the ground at the same time.

ah ok, in my mind the difference between a lead ball and a plastic one was a lot bigger. Like, 300 grams <> 10 kg

carry on then.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Made the ball hanging thing better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv1Kh-a246o

Made my own version of the animation mentor rig and did a cartoony cycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0lviZ8ZmNI

Post more tomorrow, tired

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZooberZoober Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Made my own version of the animation mentor rig and did a cartoony cycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0lviZ8ZmNI

Post more tomorrow, tired

Left foot pops/jitters on the slide back.
    COG has a rotation pop on the weight transition as the foot touches down and begins to translate back.
    When you translate your left foot back behind the body during the step, you have no ease in or out on the move. It comes very quick to a stop and immediately moves forward.
    COG lifting back up after the foot touches down is too fast, makes it feel like a pop.

Zoober on
    ~Blarg
  • Options
    ZooberZoober Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PS, add frame counters to your animations. Much easier to give critiques if you can reference exact frames.

Zoober on
    ~Blarg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    These are very good crits, I will fix all that up and post a new version

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Think I got rid of the jittering, hows this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mtROQ6szq0

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your stuff is really coming along! Although there were a few parts that needed work, the combine obstacle course thing was pretty great! Great job on the leg animation you just posted up. I can already see you're spacing and timing are improving.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys. I want to work on this climbing animation until it's up to a very good standard, because it's going to be about 20 seconds or so of my first reel hopefully.

Here's a video of it with some changes and from 3D MAX rather than running from a game engine,

Tell me what could look cooler/better, what looks wierd etc. Specifics are muchos appreciated rather than general 'vibe' kind of crits. this piece needs to be really really good so I'll be working on it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYEsozD3wg

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    The last bit where he jumps on top of the structure makes him seem like he weighs next to nothing, considering he really struggled to pull himself up at the start.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mhhh definitely. I struggled with how he was going to reach that last pole b/c it was quite a big jump, I think I'll keep the motion the same (the whole getting his knee on first bit) but I will make it look a lot heavier and more difficult, keep them coming!

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    at 0:13 - 0:14 it looks like his left hand is glued to the small beam.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm that's interesting. You're totally right, I hadn't noticed it looks strange. It actually IS blued to the pole, so I'll disguise that a little bit somehow, good crit!

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DuckyDucky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, i don't realy know much about animation, but it looks good to me.

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    who need signiyures anyways o_O
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cool, what do you think about this. It's very WIP but I want it good and it's going to be expanded into a longer combat sequence (another potential portfolio piece)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOaykyyJcso

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    The dude doing the flipping should probably move his right foot forward and and up ducking down a bit during the follow-through (and probably move down more during the actual flipping.)

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    kk will do that tomorrow after some sleep

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jazz, despite all the crits, I think you deserve some asspats for this stuff. So this is me, patting you on the ass......hmmm, y'know, it's a little bit flabby, you should probably think about doing some squats, tone it up a bit.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thank you for the pat, I am physically aroused. I am trying very very hard to get good because I seriously intend to work at a games company and I can only do that by working harder than other people who want the same thing. ( I guess I was lying before when I said I was going to sleep, but I'm going for real this time!)

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DuckyDucky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ya, i agree with fabricate. i think the guy doing the flipping would stumble/step forward a bit.

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    who need signiyures anyways o_O