As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Ok those screens for the Silent Hill map were fucking badass. That is amazing.

Also.

http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.Content&contentid=1739

It's awesome to read the words "Huey P. Long Bridge" in that article.

Edit: Excitement rising.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd like that. Sometimes things come up, you should be able to leave without fucking up your rank as long as it ain't a ragequit.

Perhaps you'd have to do it multiple times in a day for the penalty to kick in, giving each player a 'free' "omg I MUST go right NOW" quit, as emergencies do come up. But if you're doing it particularly often, ragequit or not, perhaps that person needs to schedule their time or shift their priorities a bit better, which is to say that trying to participate in a co-op/vs game when you have one or more vastly more important things going on might not be for the best. (here is where all the parents in the audience tear me to shreds)

If you've got a young kid you shouldn't be sitting down to a game that can only be played in 1 hour sessions.

And a better system would be a statistic that tracked how many times you quit a game early, and a hidden statistic that measured how often you got kicked from a group. The game then matches you up with players on a similar level so the ragequitters and the griefers are stuck in the same crowd.

Robman on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    If you've got a young kid you shouldn't be sitting down to a game that can only be played in 1 hour sessions.
    Oh come on. It's a videogame, not a responsibility.

Darlan on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe allow the person who needs to leave to call a vote for "can I leave early without penalty?"

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »

Don't pretend you don't get that popup when you ask to quit. You're letting your team down. They're going to die horribly due to the shitty AI that controls the survivors (only beaten in badness by the Boomer AI)

Robman on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Don't pretend you don't get that popup when you ask to quit. You're letting your team down. They're going to die horribly due to the shitty AI that controls the survivors (only beaten in badness by the Boomer AI)
    Did the Doom quit messages hurt your feelings too? Quitting due to losing or on a whim is bad, but people who have responsibilities shouldn't have to forgo enjoying their free-time just to avoid the minor annoyance of losing a videogame.

Darlan on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I don't usually have to leave a game, but it's not like we're playing pro-games in clans or anything. Real life happens. If someone needs to go, they let their team mates know and then drop out. It's usually not too long before someone else jumps in to take their place.

subedii on
    edited June 2009

Did the Doom quit messages hurt your feelings too? Quitting due to losing or on a whim is bad, but people who have responsibilities shouldn't have to forgo enjoying their free-time just to avoid the minor annoyance of losing a videogame.

All very true. But it would still be a good thing if transient players were put together, and the people who like to keep the same crowd through the entire campaign were put together. Act 1 is always a shit show in a real pub match, as everyone figures out how they mesh. It sucks when you start gelling as a team in Act 2 and then two people leave.

Robman on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's why you just run pubstomps and make the goal for the entire opposing team to ragequit by Act 2.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited June 2009
    That's not hard, what's hard is to string them along then utterly curbstomp them in the finale.

Or at least, have that plan. Then utterly fail by some franky brilliant ninja tank work by the only good member of the other team.

Robman on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the bigger challenge is not trying to get the other team to rage quit, but to see how many players the matchmaking system will serve up to you on a silver platter before going, "screw you guys, no more cannon fodder!".

I think the highest turnover I've been witness to was like 6 full teamswaps. Might have been a few extra players actually, kind of lost track after a while. :lol:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing about pub-stomping I've noticed is that it's actually not all that uncommon to have a team that puts up a good fight, even wins rounds, but that some or all of its better players will eventually rage-quit anyway and then the team disintegrates.

If decent players didn't rage-quit from decent teams after trivial setbacks, most pubstomps would look just like PA games.

Professor Phobos on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When are they adding the 4v4 match making?

Or is that a L4D2 feature? ZING! (Ignore this, I'm just getting it out of the way.)

Bruce Forsyth on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    When are they adding the 4v4 match making?

Last week when not adjusted for Valve Time.

Tertiee on
  • willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If I could revive an old topic and post my 2 cents on a cool mode to introduce. I'm unsure if anyone mentioned something like this but this involves having an 8 player race. But instead of having everyone separated they are all together. In this case, it is every man for themselves because the safe room only holds 4 people. 8 people only 4 can make it. I am not sure what would happen to the last 4 but it does promote teamwork and asshattery. Maybe someone can elaborate more on this idea and make it a custom map one day. Or just tell me that this idea sucks and we can move on :P.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
    edited June 2009
    If I could revive an old topic and post my 2 cents on a cool mode to introduce. I'm unsure if anyone mentioned something like this but this involves having an 8 player race. But instead of having everyone separated they are all together. In this case, it is every man for themselves because the safe room only holds 4 people. 8 people only 4 can make it. I am not sure what would happen to the last 4 but it does promote teamwork and asshattery. Maybe someone can elaborate more on this idea and make it a custom map one day. Or just tell me that this idea sucks and we can move on :P.

Something along those lines might work. What you could do is have any dead player become an extra special infected, so there's an incentive to keep all eight alive as long as possible...until the bloody end.

Professor Phobos on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the sounds of that, esp if the saferoom only closes once 4 and only 4 are in it.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I like the sounds of that, esp if the saferoom only closes once 4 and only 4 are in it.

And after a certain point, toward the end of the map, Expert-level friendly fire damage switches on as the survivors begin to betray one another...

Professor Phobos on
    edited June 2009
    Can you imagine

6 players in the saferoom + a boomer + a tank

I have a gigantic evil shit-eating grin now

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    I'd love to see a team of four tanks try to make it through a campaign full of 100s of respawning survivors.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Something along those lines might work. What you could do is have any dead player become an extra special infected, so there's an incentive to keep all eight alive as long as possible...until the bloody end.

That would be real cool, and it would tally points even if you didn't make it but became an infected. Nap, Prof, Rob, Max those are all amazing ideas. Man this needs to be a custom map now :P

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd love to see a team of four tanks try to make it through a campaign full of 100s of respawning survivors.

They wouldn't make it if there were only 4 respawning survivors.

It would take one molotov.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rami wrote: »

The AI can't throw them.

Or at least, no AI survivor has in my experience.

Antithesis on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    To everyone I was playing with last night - Jobastion, Zombie Shakespeare, Bex, and the dudes on the other team (Soulgate I think you were there) I apologize for my shitty play, I had a bad toothache and wasn't really able to concentrate. I'm not always that bad!
    I knew something was off. Because you were TERRIBLE. When normally, you are awesome.
    But I forgive you.
    Completely
    You have let me down, and I will have my revenge.
    It involves a complicated plan to go back in time, and cause you to neglect your teeth or otherwise induce an accident which results in a bad toothache.
    And, I did it 30 minutes ago. In the future!!!
    Yesterday
    I actually want to know though, did everyone have their mike's turned down to -1million?
    I could... maybe, occasionally hear Bex. Sometimes. During the brief moment the moon's aligned. Suppose you weren't audible or didn't talk much due to tooth, so that makes sense. Don't remember if I could hear Shakespear or not that game. All I really remember was not being able to make out anything being said during that one.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
    edited June 2009
    Rami wrote: »

Have as many survivors onscreen as zombies normally are.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited June 2009
    Good game tonight Buster/Phobos/m4v1s

Worth noting is that my connection shat itself on finale and gave me mad loss/choke, which led to amusing things like the infected spawning inside Zoey ( :winky: )

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited June 2009

Worth noting is that my connection shat itself on finale and gave me mad loss/choke, which led to amusing things like the infected spawning inside Zoey ( :winky: )

It was fun until rage quitting and server delisting combined to bring us to ruin.

Professor Phobos on
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oi, my account got hacked, and its sending links to people. If it hops onto the chat room, don't click anything I link. Please?

Giving you all a heads up.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just need to pick up a wireless card and some speakers tomorrow and I should be good to go, fellas. New desktop is put together other than that.

Unearthly Stew on
  • ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reagan wrote: »
    word is there is a patch tonight, stay tuned

Reagan on
    edited June 2009

It was fun until rage quitting and server delisting combined to bring us to ruin.

Yes, but that four-man incap by UrQuan & Co. on the other side was fucking ridiculously awesome.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited June 2009
    word is there is a patch tonight, stay tuned

Tonight Valve Time dude, give it another week or so.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »
    The AI can't throw them.

Or at least, no AI survivor has in my experience.
    Even worse, the lvl2s LOCKED ON to the tank and not missing a shot would really suck.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited June 2009
    The AI aim is fucking rediculous at times.

Robman on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Well no the aiming isn't ridiculous, it's what triggers the AI to shoot in the first place.

Yes, they sometimes watch you die in front of you, but WHEN they DO start shooting it's aimbot extraordinaire.

Perfect example is pub stomping while on infected, watching 2 of the survivors ragequit, only to leave 2 bots now CARRYING the pubstompee team and aimbotting all of us flying hunters.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well no the aiming isn't ridiculous, it's what triggers the AI to shoot in the first place.

Yes, they sometimes watch you die in front of you, but WHEN they DO start shooting it's aimbot extraordinaire.

Perfect example is pub stomping while on infected, watching 2 of the survivors ragequit, only to leave 2 bots now CARRYING the pubstompee team and aimbotting all of us flying hunters.

"Careful guys, Boomer aro-"

*POP*

"...never mind, Francis got it."

Rend on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i was watching the simpsons and saw this

left 4 dead totally ripped off murder 4 life

vlcsnap00010s.png

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SoaL wrote: »
    i was watching the simpsons and saw this

left 4 dead totally ripped off murder 4 life

vlcsnap00010s.png

Only 3 birds though. Obviously a shop.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rend wrote: »

"Careful guys, Boomer aro-"

*POP*

"...never mind, Francis got it."

Yeah, that's the worst. Being a boomer against bots sucks. You can't suprise bots.

enderjsv on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joeslop, UrQuanLord88, and I just discovered the best new way to play versus.

We decided we were going to let the first map be a compelete fail on our side by race 4 deading and then failing to play infected properly. Some pub was on our team and we got him in on it.

What happened was that we did this for the entire game and still won. Then we did a 2nd game and played even worse and again still won.

This is the best thing ever. Trash talking like 12 year olds in global say. Making fun of eachother like the counter-strike days. Voice chat humiliation.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream