As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any reason to choose an Android phone over the iPhone 3GS?

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in Canada. My selections for carriers are Telus or Rogers.

Telus has nothing to offer me. So Rogers it is.

I'm pretty intent on picking up an iPhone 3GS on Friday, but I could also get an HTC Dream or Magic. Is there any compelling reason why I might want to consider either as an alternative? Any reason at all? Like, give me details here. Give me examples of wonderful things I might do with one that I couldn't do with the iPhone.

Anyone?

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got a G1 thinking I would be original and cool compared to all the lame-o's with their sell out iphone.
    all I found myself doing was thinking about the cool features of the iphone I didn't have on my G1.

end of my story? I just sold my G1 on craigslist, and I'm buying the new iphone on friday,

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm totally happy with my G1 as opposed to an iPhone. That said, it has more to do with preferring T-Mobile to AT&T as a carrier for many reasons, and that G1 data plans are cheaper than iPhone plans. All things being equal, I'd probably choose the iPhone.

Ketar on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I need to hear about what kind of things you can do with an Android device as opposed to an iPhone. I don't really care so much about which American cell phone carrier you prefer, it's not entirely relevant is all.

Pheezer on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a G1 and really like it, but like Ketar it's more about being with t-mobile, who has way cheaper data plans.

Something really annoying about it though, and this is the same for the Magic and Dream I think, is the lack of headset jack. You need to use the included adaptor.

Also, the battery isn't the best, but I think the same can be said for the Iphone.

Kyougu on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The G1 has potential, but I don't want potential I want a cool phone. Although it's cheaper/easier to code your own apps on the G1

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Yeah I need to hear about what kind of things you can do with an Android device as opposed to an iPhone. I don't really care so much about which American cell phone carrier you prefer, it's not entirely relevant is all.

Right, which is why I said that all things being equal I would go with the iPhone.

I like the G1. A lot. It has some great apps, and I like the Android operating system and the degree of integration of all things Google, like gmail and Googlemaps. I can't think of a single thing about it that I like that can't be done with an iPhone though (other than the gimmicky metal detector app which has no real value beyond novelty, and even that might be possible with the new iPhone). And since iPhones have many, many more apps available, they would be my choice over an Android phone unless you stood to save significant money on the phone and data plan costs.

Ketar on
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember a friend of mine being annoyed that he couldn't set music that wasn't bought through itunes as his ringtone. I don't know if this was just through user error or if it has been been fixed in later patches/apps though.

If network and price aren't really a factor, I'd go for the 3GS over a G1. The only real advantage of the G1 is the physical keyboard (I really hate the on screen ones). The apple app store is so much better than the android marketplace at the moment.

I'm not sure about any of the newer android phones coming out though.

Scroffus on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yea teh 3GS will be better than the HTC Magic. As long as you don't mind iTunes, get the 3GS

Also, you can use headphones, *and* charge the iPhone at the same time.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Widgets are really cool for the G1. Does the Iphone do that?

Kyougu on
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    The google phone gives you complete control over it where apple is a bitch.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scroffus wrote: »
    I remember a friend of mine being annoyed that he couldn't set music that wasn't bought through itunes as his ringtone. I don't know if this was just through user error or if it has been been fixed in later patches/apps though.

If network and price aren't really a factor, I'd go for the 3GS over a G1. The only real advantage of the G1 is the physical keyboard (I really hate the on screen ones). The apple app store is so much better than the android marketplace at the moment.

I'm not sure about any of the newer android phones coming out though.

Concerning ringtones, apple wants you to pay 99 cents or something on a song you already own for them to convert it to a ringtone format. Oh, and it only works on some songs. However, there is a site (audiko.net) that will convert any song you upload to the proper format so all you have to do is add it to your itunes library and make sure it gets transferred to your phone.

It sucks that so many cool things you could do with the iPhone require a workaround, but the phone itself is just so fucking awesome and I love all the apps and games I have access to. Plus, being a mac user, the integration with everything else I do concerning computing is a pretty good factor as well.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's actually been easy to create your own ringtones with an iPhone; it's just not as easy as "create ringtone." You simply take your 30 second snippet, convert it in iTunes to a .m4a file, then change the extension to .m4r and re-add it to iTunes. It'll show up in your Ringtones section and transfer over to the iPhone.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »

It's actually been easy to create your own ringtones with an iPhone; it's just not as easy as "create ringtone." You simply take your 30 second snippet, convert it in iTunes to a .m4a file, then change the extension to .m4r and re-add it to iTunes. It'll show up in your Ringtones section and transfer over to the iPhone.

I had a simple utility that let me do this...if I remember when I get back to my home computer I'll post a link to it. This is all totally legal too I believe, iTunes is just charging you for the convenience of them doing it. I have 12 ringtones or so saved, for all the good they do me since my phone got stolen back in December.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a G1, but man, if TMobile started selling the Iphone, I would switch over immediately. On size, there's just no comparison. The G1 looks like a monstrosity compared to Iphone.

And well, the Iphone is just plain old slicker. The games and apps(especially the games) end up blowing away anything on the G1. I have yet to play a game that I been impressed. Most of them seem like they could have been esily replicated on a regular cellphone.

noir_blood on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm getting an iphone on Rogers.
    They finally fixed the data plan to not be $RAPE, but for how long?
    Is this non-$RAPE data plan time-limited?

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If your iPhone gets yoinked, you can find it via the GPS, delete all your info remotely and even make it start screeching. If your G1 gets yoinked, well... have fun buying a new one, oh and having all your info stolen off it. At least so far as I've been informed.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    edited June 2009
    Wulf wrote: »
    If your iPhone gets yoinked, you can find it via the GPS, delete all your info remotely and even make it start screeching. If your G1 gets yoinked, well... have fun buying a new one, oh and having all your info stolen off it. At least so far as I've been informed.

From what I'm hearing, turning this off after you've stolen the phone isn't going to be hard to do. I'll be interested in seeing the results of hands-on experimentation with this once the phone hits market.

Scrublet on

• ZephyrTRZephyrTR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Android's just not quite there yet and now that the iphone is in 3rd gen, its quite stable and has a lot of its problems worked out. If you can suffer AT&T (which isn't all that bad) and you don't mind the price point, go for it.

Android is going to be a while yet, but thankfully Google knows this and keeps coming out with some great apps for the iphone to link up with all your google stuff.

ZephyrTR on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ZephyrTR wrote: »
    If you can suffer AT&T (which isn't all that bad)
    Man the first words of his post are "I'm in Canada." Good lord.

Honestly the Android hardware right now isn't where it should be. If you're going to be buying a phone in the next month make it the 3GS if you're comfortable dealing with its little foibles.

JAEF on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just wanted to say: Fuck Rogers. They are terrible, and even though they are the only ones in Canada with the iPhone, I would strongly recommend against them. Go for Telus or Bell, the hassle is just not worth it.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does Rogers require a three-year contract for the iphone? I love the thing (I've got a 3g), but a three year contract is absurd for any phone.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I think they do.

Unknown User on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Jailbreaking an iPhone takes about five minutes and it gives you full root shell access.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Jailbreaking an iPhone takes about five minutes and it gives you full root shell access.

While this is true (and my phone is Jailbroken), it's not necessarily something everyone will want to do. It technically voids your warranty. If you take a jailbroken phone to an Apple Store for service, they'll say tough luck. Sure, you can always restore the phone first, but it's still possible that it could be an issue.

You also miss out (for a little while, anyway) on Software updates. You're at the whim of the dev team for when they release tools to jailbreak newer software.

Some people just aren't comfortable modding their phones in this way. Google's phone is designed to be a lot more customizable than the iPhone, and it's worth noting.

All that said, a jailbroken iPhone is the tits.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited June 2009
    Six wrote: »
    Does Rogers require a three-year contract for the iphone? I love the thing (I've got a 3g), but a three year contract is absurd for any phone.

They will introduce pricing for a no-contract purchase of the iPhone 3GS. No details have been posted yet, but they've committed to doing it.

The promo data plan is $30 a month for 6GB of data and unlimited messaging and I think e-mail. I'm pretty sure that doesn't expire. If that expires after six months or some such and I have to revert to one of their "normal" data plans, there's a good chance I won't bother with it at all.

The only Android phones available to me are those offered by the same company offering the iPhones. The Palm Pre isn't an option at all, as the carrier who bought exclusivity doesn't operate in my province at all. Yes, I'm serious. This seems a little short sighted on Palm's part.

So it sounds like, go with the iPhone. I'm gonna try to, we'll see if I have any luck come Friday. If the data plan situation is completely retarded though, I might just hold off and get the Blackberry Tour in July (though it really won't compare).

Pheezer on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Six wrote: »

They will introduce pricing for a no-contract purchase of the iPhone 3GS. No details have been posted yet, but they've committed to doing it.

The promo data plan is $30 a month for 6GB of data and unlimited messaging and I think e-mail. I'm pretty sure that doesn't expire. If that expires after six months or some such and I have to revert to one of their "normal" data plans, there's a good chance I won't bother with it at all.

The only Android phones available to me are those offered by the same company offering the iPhones. The Palm Pre isn't an option at all, as the carrier who bought exclusivity doesn't operate in my province at all. Yes, I'm serious. This seems a little short sighted on Palm's part.

So it sounds like, go with the iPhone. I'm gonna try to, we'll see if I have any luck come Friday. If the data plan situation is completely retarded though, I might just hold off and get the Blackberry Tour in July (though it really won't compare).

You wouldn't have to revert to the old shitty data plan after you get it. What's written in your contract is what you pay. They cannot change that. If they do, then tell them to go fist themselves and take your money (and iphone) elsewhere.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like my G1, but there's no doubt the new iPhone is a better piece of hardware right now. I've always liked Google's style of apps and I like how moddable android is right out of the box, compared to Apple's hardline on control of their software. But Apples got it beat on just sheer cool factor and usability. I like being on T-Mobile way more than ATT though, so that was kind of a deal breaker.

The only reason I didn't buy an iphone instead of the G1 is because 3G and I don't particularly like Apple as a company, so I don't buy their stuff.

Dark_Side on
    edited June 2009
    Trillian wrote: »
    You wouldn't have to revert to the old shitty data plan after you get it. What's written in your contract is what you pay. They cannot change that. If they do, then tell them to go fist themselves and take your money (and iphone) elsewhere.

yeah, unless the contract states that the iphone's promo data plan only lasts X number of months. Which is the exact situation I'm referencing as a possibility, and if it IS the case, will prevent me from getting one, period.

And there's nowhere else TO take an iPhone for me.

Also, Dark_Side, thanks for proving that you didn't read the first post, at all and have nothing of any value to contribute to this thread. You know lots of people pull infractions in H/A for that sort of thing, right?

Pheezer on
    edited June 2009
    Pheezer I'm not sure how things work up in the great north, but Apple said anything ordered from their store before EOD tomorrow will arrive on Friday if you have it shipped to your house. If you want to jump on it now it might be worth it to avoid potential lines and whatnot.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    and once again, no that's not really useful advice. You can't order the iPhone through the Apple store in Canada.

Pheezer on
    edited June 2009
    Ah, I wasn't aware. Thats sorta shitty.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    Where are you seeing that promo plan? I went to the Rogers site to see if I could run down that expiration and can't seem to find it.

Scrublet on

edited June 2009
    Never mind I found the articles. Looks like you're signing a 3 year contract for that 6GB data plan, but as long as you do it before September you'll have that price the whole time. Though I wonder if they'll cut prices again during the period of that contract?

Scrublet on

• robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would get a 3GS on Fido as it will be all-around cheaper than Rogers, Yes I know they're the same but the fido plans are cheaper. I'm kicking myself for not going to Fido now as I pay $86/mo for my Iphone.

That said, I love my iPhone. An Android phone looks interesting, but not on the HTC. My buddy has an HTC Diamond and it's always giving him all kinds of shit, everybody in my office that's had an HTC phone has had it work extremely poorly, or in one case it flat-out died.

It's hard to say if their short-comings are their hardware or Windows Mobile, but I wouldn't take the risk. Although the one thing the HTC doesn't come with is people being pricks about you having an iPhone; for some reason having an iPhone instantly makes you a pretentious fuck in the eyes of some people. It could be anybody you know.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    Never mind I found the articles. Looks like you're signing a 3 year contract for that 6GB data plan, but as long as you do it before September you'll have that price the whole time. Though I wonder if they'll cut prices again during the period of that contract?
    Since it a contract, I doubt that's even legal.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Makershot wrote: »
    Scrublet wrote: »
    Since it a contract, I doubt that's even legal.

it happens all the time.
    as recently as last june T-mobile changed their sms rates, affecting all customers

(of course many people took the opportunity to claim foul play and were released from contracts with no ETF)

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only Android phones available to me are those offered by the same company offering the iPhones.

Just FYI, you can get an unlocked G1 (technically "Android Dev Phone 1" but you can put any firmware image on it you want) for $400 + shipping, with an additional $25 if you need an account on the Android Market.

Just an alternative if the Roger's contract ends up having some fishy clause in it about the deal or you want to go with another carrier.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, not sure how much apps tickle your fancy on phones, but someone recently did a breakdown on available, and for the most part useful, programs. iPhone lead by a comfortable margin of at least a thousand I believe.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to choose and honestly I think I'm tempted to go iphone just for this:

http://www.intua.net/products.html

Jeedan on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    On the topic of a 6Gig Data plan, just as a reference, I've got the 2Gig plan, and I've never come NEAR to 2 gigs.

That being said, I have WiFi at home and at work, but I do check weather, email, stocks, and do the odd web browsing/IM when I'm out and about. Oh and youtube video browsing as well.

So if the 6 Gig dataplan is looking a bit much price-wise, and if you aren't going to be tethering and download songs away from home/WiFi signals, 2Gigs is actually a lot, at least IMO.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif