As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Samurai [CHAT]ploo

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're totally synergising my transient market flows.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Comeeee on in Magic toaster and flay the rooms called PA:AC woooo?

COMEEE ONNNN

I know you're probably gone, but whats the link?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Grenn wrote: »
    there really really needs to be an 'art as business' class in every art school.

It absolutely blows my mind that there isn't already.

But at the same time, I rely on the naivety and lack of business sense of thousands of fresh design graduates to enable me to get ahead through experience alone.

MICA has always impressed me with their efforts to make students sell their work at decent prices. We have an art market and decent gallery spaces and if your prices are clearly to low a teacher will chat you up. I find illustartors and GD majors get the best of this teaching, but yeah.

Still, students will always be desperate for cash.

Iruka on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've purchased some books lately that really help point out the business side of art. Proper invoices, tracking methods, contracts ... in any Chapters, look up "Graphic Design" and you'll find 'em.

Some day I hope to actually use the newfound knowledge. Haha.

mully on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mully

hey mully. do you know the people drawing on your board in the wee hours of the night?

also: I have a new respect for Texas' inter-metropolitan highway system.

Tam on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nope, i don't know all of them
    some will appear by the name jumpei, sumox, rawkz... i know them
    but there are a lot of strangers that wander in
    hopefully the community will go up after i uh, yknow, spend some time on getting the crap together

mully on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jeeze, is this thing at 100 pages yet...

goggles on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Comeeee on in Magic toaster and flay the rooms called PA:AC woooo?

COMEEE ONNNN

I know you're probably gone, but whats the link?

iscribble.net

gasp but yah we are gone

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I just want to repost and reiterate this because I am a whore and do not want to end up an out-of-work illustrator giving hand jobs at the back of an Olive Garden.
    Ok everyone, I humbly request your assistance. I entered a contest in Animation Magazine wherein an idea for a new series is pitched. In addition to their regular panel of judges, they are also holding an online "viewer's choice" vote.

I would very much love it if you all would go and vote for Monkey & Robot's Flying Circus! It would mean so many <3<3<3's to me!

I agree in both there being some really terrible font/design choices as well as there being some really gorgeous entries. IRAZU definitely being one of them. The really well illustrated designs make me nervous (not to mention Steven-Fucking-Silver entered!), but the really rubbish entries just make my heart bleat with pity.

Why? Because those entries costs damn near four hundred dollars! In my case, my school put up the money--as is probably the case with all of the school entries--but some of those... man, man.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mully wrote: »
    nope, i don't know all of them
    some will appear by the name jumpei, sumox, rawkz... i know them
    but there are a lot of strangers that wander in
    hopefully the community will go up after i uh, yknow, spend some time on getting the crap together

someone named soer

draws the same thing over and over

Tam on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Voteded.

Man, rough day of yard work today, but at least it looks real nice now for the cookout this weekend!

I also starting building the horseshoe pits I've been saying that I'm going to build for two years now.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm a whore

+1 vote

goggles on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm starting to learn how to barbecue down here so I won't be completely useless when I go back to school.

I'm starting small (porkchops), then gonna eventually work my way up to the grand finale (brisket).

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    you should be my super best friend and barbecue every day

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Marinated chinchilla anyone?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh wow, that sounds disgusting in taste and sad to watch

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't know what a brisket is, but I always associate the word with televisions hit comedy The Nanny.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know what a brisket is, but I always associate the word with televisions hit comedy The Nanny.

It's the reason why we haven't burned Texas down

brisket.jpg

Long story short you have to smoke it in a charcoal grill for two/three hours, and then slow cook it in the oven for another ten.

It's not something you want to fuck up.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your brisket can be located here.

511px-BeefCutBrisket.svg.png

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I never knew there were so many spesific parts! Its all yummy in my tummy regardless.

Hey, does anybody know how long it typically takes for a video file to upload to Youtube. Its probably only like 5 minutes long, yet it's been uploading for like 40 minutes...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay Pineapple express was one funny movie.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cows are filled with delicious beef.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's surprising how many people don't spell my name right. I didn't think it was that complicated.

Flay on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    It's surprising how many people don't spell my name right. I didn't think it was that complicated.

Shut up Flaxblj

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Flay wrote: »

Shut up Flaxblj

You forgot the umlaut damnit!

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Long story short you have to smoke it in a charcoal grill for two/three hours, and then slow cook it in the oven for another ten.

This being one of the things I threw up in my 12 hour throw up fest, I'm alittle worried next time I eat brisket I'll get sick. This is sad because brisket is amazing and I live in the south.

Though the other thing I parted ways with was french onion soup, and I aint giving that up.

Iruka on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Iruka wrote: »

This being one of the things I threw up in my 12 hour throw up fest, I'm alittle worried next time I eat brisket I'll get sick. This is sad because brisket is amazing and I live in the south.

Though the other thing I parted ways with was french onion soup, and I aint giving that up.

We learned in my foodhandler's class that you can get food poisoning and food-borne illnesses from foods that you ate between 2 and 8 weeks ago...

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Its really not about what actually made me sick. Its about what i had to experience coming back up that cues my gag reflex. Im pretty sure none of what I threw up that day actually made me sick, because my step dad got an identical sickness and we eaten together two days before at Macaroni Grill (MISTAKE). Its just thrown up brisket onion soup thats pink because of pepto bismol kinda ruins the whole deal.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

We learned in my foodhandler's class that you can get food poisoning and food-borne illnesses from foods that you ate between 2 and 8 weeks ago...

Bullshit you do.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ... i just got asked to do character concepts and background designs for a company that's pitching a tv show in 3 weeks... fuck.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    voop voop voop voop

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://www.sugarboukas.com/X/DCFM/wDCFM00

FUUUUUCK. Sad As hell comic. Now Im all teary eyed. Im going to bed!

Iruka on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w&feature=fvst

I do wish Harry Enfield would hit the mark more often, he's hilarious when he does and embarrassing when he doesn't.

Mustang on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.sugarboukas.com/X/DCFM/wDCFM00

FUUUUUCK. Sad As hell comic. Now Im all teary eyed. Im going to bed!
    Hmm...for some reason the weird dog-face the art style stopped me from connecting with the characters much, and it was so abrupt and blunt that I didn't really know how to respond. Not to mention there is literally no dialog except for Simpson's quotes and narration...if this is a true story, it is quite depressing, but I can't say the comic was well executed if it wasn't.

I think it says something about art that I feel bad critiquing it if it's true. It's like, if it's true I just have to think "Well, it was done for such an such reason, and is a good thing no matter how well executed it is." But you could always say that about anything...so I guess there's no reason to censor oneself unless people involved will hear it and it could make them feel worse.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dug the weird dog-faces. Made me think of Paul Pope in a way. Dialog was dull, I'll give you that.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    r-jasper wrote: »
    ... i just got asked to do character concepts and background designs for a company that's pitching a tv show in 3 weeks... fuck.

Sweet! With all that character concept and background design experience, you're sure to be able to compress months of work into a mere three weeks and successfully ensure a winning pitch!!*

*Dramatization! May not have happened!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    :(

I have a serious problem with perfectionism getting in the way of me getting any better at art. If I can't get something to look like I want right off the bat, I generally quit, and whenever I start to work on something from a photo reference I pull out the ruler, and I generally want to do the same thing when drawing from life but I can't so I just stop. If my drawing doesn't look precisely right and to scale I just get pissed off. In fact, the best things I draw I don't even about at all. If I ever plan for something, it usually fails to be what I want. Sometimes I feel like my brain can't capture pictures very well, and I can't actually visualize images in my head and then create them.

Does anyone else have these problems? I honestly am rarely able to push myself to do new things anymore because I get frustrated with trying to figure them out that I don't do it, and I only get lucky when every so often I pull off something that I didn't know I could do. It really, really sucks that it's almost impossible to even get into a basic drawing class at my school, I feel like being forced to draw repetitively would make me more comfortable and less nervous when drawing.

I'm trying to keep pushing myself to draw despite this for the next few weeks and see what happens. Anyone else ever hate perfectionism getting in the way of being efficient? Sometimes it makes me feel great when I finish a project and feel like there's few flaws within it, but now I finish so few things because I feel like anything that I can perceive flaws in is worthless to finish if I can't fix them.

I basically know the solutions to my problems, but I'm just frustrated and want to vent where some people might actually understand what I'm talking about.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    has anybody seen my pencil?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is this your pencil?

yourpencil.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    r-jasper wrote: »

Sweet! With all that character concept and background design experience, you're sure to be able to compress months of work into a mere three weeks and successfully ensure a winning pitch!!*

*Dramatization! May not have happened!
    i've asked about half my class if they want to help me with this. lol.

r-jasper on
This discussion has been closed.